• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Must watch animes to a newcomer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reven

Haven't read the whole thread yet but I'm gonna throw out Detective Conan/Case Closed if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

sub_o

Patlabor is cool as heck

Indeed, but the TV series has totally different focus than the movies. TV series is lighthearted slice of life, with believable mechs. The movies lean towards thriller / mystery.

Both of them are good, but slice of life anime might not be for everyone.

Tizoc

Some of these are on Crunchyroll so check there first

Dragon Ball Z Kai
Shirobako (currently running anime which is about MAKING anime)
Genshiken
Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV series)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Hunter x Hunter
Samurai Champloo

Off the top of my head.

ixQ7NJwmcd16l.jpg

A post-apocalyptic sci-fi series that deals with the malleable and manipulatable nature of the human mind. True speculative fiction in the sense that the story examines the natural consequences of humans gaining psychic powers. Despite some stumbles, Masashi Ishihama gives the series a sense of palpable, brooding horror and unease.

This sounds like something I would really enjoy. Going to start it tomorrow. Thank you!

Famassu

I haven't watched it in ages, so I'm not sure if it holds up and what I would think about it almost ten years after seeing it for the first time, but one anime I didn't see anyone mention yet in this thread that I think I remember being really good is Witch Hunter Robin. It tells of this organization that has people hunt witches gone bad and it tells the story of one such witch hunter who starts to get more & more uncomfortable with her job. It's pretty dark, IIRC, and I'd put it up there with Cowboy Bebop as the kind of anime anyone & everyone should watch. It's got some of that eery X-Files vibe at times.

IJc7A1C.jpg

televator

Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop are good general starters aside from being top tier. If you hate these, give up on anime.

FLCL is good for random humor.

If you're feeling adventurous and/or in need of visual testosterone, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is manliness in cartoon form.

If you're a more cerebral/artistic type, Wolf's Rain is a beautiful and unique experience... not that I'm biased or anything... :p

kyser73

Urotsokudoji: Legend of the Overfiend. /s

Bleach was my gateway drug into anime (I'd seen Akira, Urotsokudoji 1&2, some Miyazaki before) so I say Bleach - but stick to the main story arcs established in The Rescue rather than fucking around with The Bount & a couple of others.

I thought Kill la Kill and Lagann Gurren were good fun, and I'm enjoying Rage of Bahumet at the moment.

Psycho Pass is good too.

#subbednotdubbed

Helmholtz

Samurai Champloo is fantastic. I prefer it to Bebop. This show has it all really - great cast of characters, awesome music. Can be really funny at times yet very sentimental as well. Easy recommendation for newcomers.

Monster is the best 'mature' anime I've seen. If you're interested in an anime with a diverse cast of interesting characters, and a super engrossing plot with darker subject matter, this is for you. As long as you're okay with more dialogue and less action, this is a no brainer. Fantastic show.

Berserk is really cool but the anime only ran for one season and did not end in a satisfying way - in fact it ended on a super suspenseful cliffhanger. And for now the only way to continue the story is through the manga. So watch that one with caution and know what you're getting yourself into. I ended up checking out the manga afterward, and sadly even that is still ongoing with no end in sight. It's a really unique and cool dark fantasy series though that I think is worth experiencing in some way.

Death Note will probably get mentioned a lot. I haven't seen it in a while, but from what I remember the first half is super good and entertaining, but the second half disappoints. Probably still worth checking out.

A lot of it is going to come down to your own tastes though. Personally, I hate stuff like Kill La Kill, I think it's complete garbage, and didn't care for TTGL either. But it obviously has a huge fan base. I'd recommend you do a little research beforehand, find out what genres/themes interest you, then seek out highly regarded animes that fall into those.

Mik317

These are what I consider must watches (that I have seen) not always from a quality stand point but definately important series that give you a feel of what anime is about.

Trigun - My Favorite anime of all time. I can't think of many flaws. Likable cast, interesting world and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Humor can be an acquired taste tho.

Cowboy Beebop - a definite must watch, wait until episode 5 (I think) if it doesn't click right away.

Gurren Lagaan - wacky insane manlyness that IMO has an ok first half but an amazing second half..stick it out.

Evangelion - If you plan on getting into Anime, you kinda have to watch this show and finish it. You may hate it but you gotta.

Haruhi (first season only lol...and the Movie if you like that) - I am not a fan of Moe and it's tropes but I really liked this show. Hated Haruhi herself but I enjoyed the show greatly...If you watch a technically "moe" show...watch this

Black Lagoon - Real Shit: The Series

FLCL- Not for everyone but it is an animation and music marvel IMO.

FMA- BOTH. Fuck the haters..watch both. They both have their flaws but Brotherhood beginning is super weak without knowledge of the full story and while FMA OG's ending is some fuckery, I think the begining and build up is good enough to warrant a watch.

The above series are what I think to be good introductions to most of the genres in anime. Good way to dive in...but honestly just go to some anime site (be careful lol) and browse and see what you may like as I have found some series that I really liked doing so.

kyser73

Urotsokudoji: Legend of the Overfiend. /s

Bleach was my gateway drug into anime (I'd seen Akira, Urotsokudoji 1&2, some Miyazaki before) so I say Bleach - but stick to the main story arcs established in The Rescue rather than fucking around with The Bount & a couple of others.

I thought Kill la Kill and Lagann Gurren were good fun, and I'm enjoying Rage of Bahumet at the moment.

Psycho Pass is good too.

#subbednotdubbed

Yonafunu

Just a note if you're going to watch Fullmetal Alchemist; watch both series.

While Brotherhood is a direct adaptation of the manga, the first series is definitely worth your time as well. I'd watch it, even just for the first stretch before it starts diverging from the manga. Brotherhood seems to assume your already kinda familiar with the story as far as the beginning goes, and rushes through it to get to new material.
Definitely watch at least part of the first series first.

one_kill

A few recommendations:

Hajime no Ippo - Don't let its old age and character models deter you. It's a really well done series.

Summer Wars - Light-hearted movie that's pretty easy to enjoy if you're not familiar with anime. Subbed is best, but the English dubbing is top notch.

FLCL - Probably the series that cemented my interest in anime. It's random, but it's the creative kind of random.

Fullmetal Alchemist (original adaptation and Brotherhood) - Both adaptations are excellent. I recommend watching the original adaptation first, then watch other shows, before watching Brotherhood.

Ping Pong - It's only 11 episodes long, but almost every episode is great.

Hunter x Hunter (2011), Naruto (skip the fillers), One Piece, Beach (just the SS arc), Soul Eater - Other shounen staples

Philippo

Cowboy Bebop, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, Hajime no Ippo (if you're in for some manly sport) and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (although it's really deep, complicated and not light for a newcomer).

That's my Top 5 list, so it's the best i can personally reccomend.

KillerBEA

Hunter x Hunter

Watch the first episode of the original series to understand something that happens later in the show then switch to 2011 version.

or just understand that Kite played a pivotal role in Gon's life in an off screen incident before the show started.

The show is really good for what it is. It does all the things that Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, and One Piece does and does it better. The characters are well done and well written. Hisoka being a personal favorite. Since the manga was on hiatus for 2 years and then back for a handful of chapters, its not done. So several main plot points aren't going to be finished as a result so bare that in mind. Its also significantly less daunting than Naruto and the like in terms of number of episodes.

.hack is probably the best, I haven't watched it in years but I remember it being really good. I recently watched a set of OVAs revolving around a particular incident in that universe and that was really good. I think it was .hack//Quantum I watched recently. I think .hack//sign is the first chronologically I might be wrong though.

Sword Art Online is insanely popular for some reason. I found it enjoyable for the most part, but the romance is shitty and the story feels a little all over the place. SAO, is fun but not good if that makes sense.

Log Horizon is very good. The first season has some extremely strong world building and sets up nicely for a more character driven second season. The main character isn't a brute like in SAO and is actually very tactical/intelligent. He is a nie change from main characters who rely mostly on strength to win.

pottuvoi

Banned
Monster
An incredible 74 episode long story about murder, suspect and run trough Germany to correct the mistake.
This anime has perhaps the best story I have seen in one thus far.

The Twelve Kingdoms
Very good anime where main character ends to an alternative world.

Hunter x Hunter
A splendid fighting/adventure story about young boy in search for his father.

Rose Of Versailles
A nice romantic anime telling story about time before French revoltion.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Perhaps the greatest space opera ever told.

Initial D
The mountain racing anime.

Tsukihime
A nice and short story about a boy who can see 'death lines' on objects.

Cinderella Boy
Silly detective show.

Full Moon wo sagashite
Young girl wants to be a singer..

Movies from Ghibli.

Ushay

Personally speaking..

One Piece
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Samurai Champloo
Berserk

Off the top of my head.

Mr. RHC

As you can see OP, a lot of different and great suggestions for sure.

I would only recommend that you watch some episodes of the longest still running anime respectively some of the most popular so you can experience for yourself why they are so enjoyable.

I would check this list and look for something you might like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_franchises_by_episode_count

Also consider the most popular series over the last few decades in Japan, US etc.

Necrovex

Would you like to read Oyasumi Punpun and Himizu? I think they kinda fit the NHK crowd well just without a teenage girl "coming" to the MC rescue.

Oyasumi PunPun makes NHK a walk in the park in terms of feeling super depressed about everything.

pottuvoi

Banned
4 pages and not a single mention of Claymore

Sickening...

Claymore3.jpg
Ah, yes, it's quite fun little gem.

There are so many good ones and my memory is really bad with names. (And I forgot to backup my watched/forgotten/reviewed animes .txt file with tens? shows.. ups.)

IE.
I didn't remember Stellvia of the Universe or Mars Daybreak when I wrote my list few posts up.

Watched season 1 of attack on titan last weekend. I would not recommend alongside stuff like Bebop and Champloo. Monologues from Eren and Armin are like nails on a chalkboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom