• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

I don't know. It feels like the smgs and lasers are buffed and the xmgs are now amazing for holding down points.

They just need to buff the shotguns, payetek, secondaries, ARX, and MK14.

I played a lot of hours this weekend and I'm certain the SMGs have not been buffed. I keep wanting to use them, but they're mostly pretty weak.

I frequently lose head to head shootouts against assault rifles from 10 feet away. It shouldn't be happening nearly as often as it does.

maneil99

4 obvious reasons (or at least why I am playing less):

1. Skill based matchmaking. Everyone is near a 1.00 or below KD. No one likes to play a game they don't feel they can perform well in.

2. Kill streaks are hard to get and when you do get them they suck due to perk setups. Blind eye available right off the top is stupid.

3. Guns balance or lack thereof. Bal patch might Change that, but all guns except assault rifles are pretty much useless.

4. Lots of other games are out now. Tis the season.

AW is not a bad game. It's not a great game. But it is a good game. Disappointed in MP.
1) and 2) are good. Getting your ass handed to you and killed by killstreaks isnt fun. Theres to sides to the coin. Sure its fun to shit on kids, but its not fun to get shit on. Skill based MM is good

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's a kill streak that's disproportionately effective for its point cost by a good deal, obnoxious to a point past my tolerance level, and it's cost effectiveness is leading to excessive spam. I can equip a perk to stop it sure, but the constant System Hacks being called in pretty much ensures I'd be tied to one perk, making the choices I can make with my loadouts( while still ensuring I'm going to have a good time) a bit more restricted. I don't think System Hack should be this effective at such a low point cost, and I think it could do with a nerf, or have it's point requirement increased.
It seems like a troll tool more than anything. It's obnoxious but it's not going to stop me from getting the job done. I think they just need to reduce the number of points the objectives give you across the board, and do the opposite for kills in TDM.

As for gun balance, the shotguns need more range. Some of the SMG and laser gun variants are borderline OP if you have the right build. People need to experiment more.

aravuus

4 obvious reasons (or at least why I am playing less):

1. Skill based matchmaking. Everyone is near a 1.00 or below KD. No one likes to play a game they don't feel they can perform well in.

Lol what

Well, I agree with your third point, at least. Not gonna play another match until ARs get nerfed and/or SMGs bet buffed.

mbmonk

I got caught in a Sniper's lag Matrix... Can't believe this stuff still happens. Dedicated servers....

Yup. That is easily my biggest complaint with the game right now. Certain maps are particularly bad. Riot might be the worst offender in TDM.

TDM, I have to pay significant attention to my spawn & my teammate spawns during the game. It helps me avoid getting shot in the back, but it doesn't remove it. Spawns are pretty bad. :(

New favorite build:

Heavy shield
BAL

Flak jacket, light weight, cold blooded, Gung ho, toughness,

Exo ping

Semtex X2

The BAL is so OP I just use it without any attachments and I get to have a permanent shield on my back, which is where a lot of the damage comes from.

SeanR1221

New favorite build:

Heavy shield
BAL

Flak jacket, light weight, cold blooded, Gung ho, toughness,

Exo ping

Semtex X2

The BAL is so OP I just use it without any attachments and I get to have a permanent shield on my back, which is where a lot of the damage comes from.

That's actually a good sounding build.

---

I agree about the SMGs. Total trash.

Overall I like it more than Ghosts but it's not as good as Black Ops 2.

Only Black Ops 3 can save us next year!

psychotron

Thinking of picking this up. Now that some time has gone by, can you guys recommend it? Especially after the disaster that Ghosts was?

The Hbax3 or whatever with the Average Joe upgrade definitely improved things for me. Probably the best gun I have so far. Like I said before, over the weekend everything went smooth as possible. I wonder if it will last through the weekdays.

Oh yeah, those upgraded laser weapons are crazy. I was getting destroyed like halfway across the maps.

Thinking of picking this up. Now that some time has gone by, can you guys recommend it? Especially after the disaster that Ghosts was?

Single player: good for a cod campaign, still kind of stupid.

Coop: fun but poorly balanced

Multiplayer: avoid death match and it's actually really fun. Search and destroy is counter strike with jetpacks. Domination and momentum are really good. Some balance issues that could be patched out. My performance has been great but a lot of other people aren't so lucky.

psychotron

Single player: good for a cod campaign, still kind of stupid.

Coop: fun but poorly balanced

Multiplayer: avoid death match and it's actually really fun. Search and destroy is counter strike with jetpacks. Domination and momentum are really good. Some balance issues that could be patched out. My performance has been great but a lot of other people aren't so lucky.

Thanks. Sucks that deathmatch is no good. My go to has always been Team Deathmatch.

Metfanant

Thanks. Sucks that deathmatch is no good. My go to has always been Team Deathmatch.
Nothing wrong with TDM...its all my friends and I play...

The spawn system is completely broken however...

The maps in Ghost were probably too big, and now Sledgehammer has gone completely in the opposite direction...they added the exos, and shrank the maps down too much...

When you add map design, to the ridiculous spawning system you spend most of your time getting killed from behind because their entire team spawned behind you...

The spawns almost seem COMPLWTELY random..like it makes no difference where any of the other players are on the map...

There are two ways to fix this IMO...design the maps with "protected" spawn "bases" somewhat like how Killzone works...so you always spawn in your base, no matter what...

Or you go to a base system, and the spawn will only "flip" if one of the teams pushes too far forward..

IISANDERII

I can't recommend it. I enjoyed Ghost much more; I think it did much, much better in hit detection/latency/lag compensation. Ghost had great weapon variety too, loved the marksman rifles especially and the USR.

Toa TAK

Banned
Black Ops 1 would be your best bet. All maps from WAW, and the ones from BO1 are pretty good as well.

BO2 isn't bad, but there isn't as much to chose from. Plus, the original four characters rule all.

Exo's are the best thing and the worst thing about this damn game. I'm enjoying my time with it, don't get me wrong...

But here's how TDM plays out:

1. Spawn. Exo sprint to the middle of the map to greet the enemy with some lead.
2. If you died, respawn. If you didn't, proceed to step 4.
3. When you respawn, you might notice that you are already spawning on the enemy's side of the map even though you're barely 6 seconds in.
4. Patrol/Rush back towards the middle of the map and get killed by someone corner camping.
5. Spawn and see that an enemy literally spawned at that same spot two seconds earlier.
6. Kill him and immediately get killed from behind.
7. Repeat steps 4-6.

Exo makes it sooooooooo easy to move around the map, and at the same time I'm sure that it's messing with the spawn algorithm because player movement is a bit more unpredictable now. I hope they patch it, but for now I'm trying to stay away from TDM unless I'm in a party of 4+ with mics. It's just the worst spawning I've seen in quite some time. Hardpoint, Uplink, and Search & Destroy are plenty fun, though! S&D in particular surprised me with how fun it is. I can't believe no other CoD ever switched sides each round before this! (Correct me if I'm wrong there).

PSYGN

I can't recommend it. I enjoyed Ghost much more; I think it did much, much better in hit detection/latency/lag compensation. Ghost had great weapon variety too, loved the marksman rifles especially and the USR.

Hit detection and weapons were better in Ghosts, imo. Well, besides the MTAR-X and Vector often outgunning AR users at a range where they shouldn't dominate. But at the same time SMG's are harder to control at range because their aim assist drops off quick, so it rewards players who can aim and control their recoil.

kaskade

So they nerfed the BAL? I usually used the AK12 anyway. I hear the buffed up the lasers though? I never really thought to use it but maybe it's time to try.

Back from Far Cry 4 and it looks like the bullshit has settled in. First game back and literally everyone expect for on guy and me were using the BAL-27. I think I might bounce back to Far Cry until the next balancement update.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Went 23(2) on exo survival. I could taste that trophy. An hour and a half.

Fuck.

Fucking fuck.

Cunting fuck.

Play objective modes.
Quit playing garbage team deathmatch.
Enjoy game.

Especially the ranked playlist because it is 4v4 its not as chaotic and messy as 5v5

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The movement in AW is something different, at least. Ghosts is just more of the same, and it's not even the best example of that type of gameplay in CoD. AW may get good servers one day, but Ghosts will always be mediocre.

kaskade

From what I've been reading they put a patch out for the 360/PS3 version but not for PC and current gen yet.

Are there any places that keep track of patches?

matthieuC

How is the campaign for this? I honestly really like Call of Duty campaigns and was really considering grabbing this since MCC is so broken.

How is the campaign for this? I honestly really like Call of Duty campaigns and was really considering grabbing this since MCC is so broken.

I played a bunch of it last night after ignoring for MP, its amazing and perhaps the best cod campaign. Great mission variety(vehicles, stealth, full scale war, special ops), amazing setpieces, a story that at least makes sense (for a summer action film style thing), and a fantastic villain. Graphics are super impressive as well, game looks stellar.

geordiemp

Agree, TDM player here (UK) or I was but the game is to laggy.

I got 100 mb 2 ms ping optical fibre London and get crazy laggy matches with people in spain and Poland etc

Its crap

Campaign is great (surprising), but for COD this wrong way around.

Sojgat

Without question, the best campaign in the franchise's history.

Every now and then AW will actually let you deviate from the scripted path, and do things you wouldn't expect from a COD campaign. It surprised me a number of times.

Also, it's very pretty.

Toa TAK

Banned
I can't do TDM, not because it's bs or anything, but the matches feel like they go by so fast. I want my matches to go longer. So objective is my home.

Pachimari

Just got this game by my girlfriend today and the single player seems to be the same kind of awesome as past titles. Hopefully I complete it as the last CoD I completed was CoD2.

Multiplayer seemed awesome of what I played in Team Deathmatch.

I can't do TDM, not because it's bs or anything, but the matches feel like they go by so fast. I want my matches to go longer. So objective is my home.

Domination and Search and Destroy are both amazing. Search and Destroy in particular feels much slower due to lack of respawn.

Lacix

favorite part
YHnf5XN.gif

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Went 23(2) on exo survival. I could taste that trophy. An hour and a half.

Fuck.

Fucking fuck.

Cunting fuck.

Got this motherfucker today. Went 67 rounds. Just need the 50 games of exo trophy to get the platinum.

RedAssedApe

Banned

its especially annoying on the maps with levelution. match is over before you even begin to fight in the changed map area.

eek5

KC is a bit longer especially if you don't pick up any tags lol.

TDM fucking blows in this game. Don't listen to anyone telling you that it is adequate. It isn't. Not even close. All I played in past COD is TDM. It is my favorite game mode by far. With the group I play with we'd have like a 90% W/L ratio blowing out all kinds of lobbies by 20-40 kills, even lobbies with full squad of 2.0's and shit. AW? NOPE. The spawns are awful in TDM. There is ZERO "map awareness" because 1) you can't hear shit 2) just because you have position on a map doesn't mean there aren't also enemies spawning there.

The spawns are so bad in TDM that you'll go on death streaks where you'll get bad spawns over and over. Last night I died 5 times in a row getting shot within a second of spawning the first 4 times then spawning into a fucking grenade to cap it off. Seriously? 5 is pretty bad but it isn't really uncommon for me to be having a good game and rattle off 3-4 insta-spawn-deaths. This is especially bad if the other team has 2-3 guys that get into good positions and then 2-3 of your teammates die around the same time. The game will swing the momentum in favor of the other team by giving your guys terrible spawns which can cut down a lead or drop your lead in a 9-12 kill swing almost instantly.

There isn't any "team" aspect of it because you can't hold down areas. You can't half-map because enemies will keep spawning on your side regardless of where you or your teammates are. If you spawn in surrounded by blue/yellow arrows it doesn't mean you're safe. Because of this you're basically playing the deathmatch portion but it feels a lot like FFA. I've really only found success playing it completely like FFA which means locking down a TINY area and just patrolling back and forth then moving when things don't feel right but it isn't very fun and I don't feel engaged.

There isn't room to be a hero. I used to be able to drop 3:1 games with 25-35 kills in TDM and we'd win. I'd say we'd win like 90% of the time I had one of those games. For some reason (I'm assuming bad respawns) that when I have a good game in TDM in AW my entire team will go negative. Like really bad negative... every time. What's the fucking point in having a good game if you're basically sentencing your teammates to spawn-deaths?? Oh and we win only a bit over 50% when I go +10 or better. Shit is fucking unreal.

If you like TDM do yourself a favor and stay away from this turd.

Top Bottom