• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GamerGate thread 2: it's about feminism in games journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekofrog

Banned
That really sucks, man =/

I lost a lot of respect for Brandon Strader from OCRemix when he came into this thread and pulled a lot of crap and got banned.

it's okay, nobody in ocremix had respect for him for over 10 years now

Trying to turn charity donations into some sort of measurement of how moral a group really is, in an attempt to cover up their otherwise prevalent, morally reprehensible behavior, and make "the other side" look bad, isn't the worst thing they've ever done. In fact it's probably the best thing they will ever do.

it's trying to weaponize the moral high ground, and it's absolutely ridiculous.

While I can't comment on how aware TB was about how offensive that term is in the states, and I am certainly not someone who would ever defend the use of then term. And I agree that is is unlikely he was unaware of it to some degree.

However I can say that his ignorance to how offensive it was is plausible. When I was a kid (in England of course) me and my younger sister called each other that word ALL the time. I mean it was like our pet name for each other. My parents (a very liberal left leaning couple) never even thought to tell us not to.

We just thought of it as the name of a gross type of meat we both hated!

I have now lived in the USA for over 10 years and would never dream of using it to insult someone.

I think using a word like that as a kid, particularly in a country where it doesn't have that primary meaning, is understandable. I think TB pleading ignorance is stretching credulity to breaking point, though!

Appearantly Gators are misinterpreting part of an interview with anna kendrick about feminism as her endorsing GG.

I'm actually a bit unclear about what she's saying there.

I mean, contextually, looking at her other opinions in the interview, it looks like she's talking about Anita, Zoe, and Brianna. Though, since she specifically says "girls involved in GamerGate" I can see how people might think she's talking about #NotYourShield. Actually, that was my first thought, though I thought she was expressing that she felt bad that the #NotYourShield girls felt that the only way to be accepted was to support an anti-woman culture.

The contradictions in gamergate supporter's actions just keeps blowing my mind, after complaining about how wrong it was to have a block list and claiming a twitter block list is illegal their reaction is to...make their own block list...

Zomba13

I think it's obvious she is talking about Anita and Zoe when she says "those girls" and how she doesn't know how they do it meaning how they cope and how she "looks them up" when she is feeling bad meaning she sees the abuse and hate and then feels that she is very lucky and supported because she is a goddamn goddess who nobody could hate (you know, unless she clarifies and gamergate start a hate train against her). She also pretty much says that victim blaming is bullshit (as in something that shouldn't be done) saying how the one good thing is how it's shifted from victim blaming ("if you didn't want this to happen you shouldn't take those pics") to blaming the ones doing the hacking.

Kelthink

RogueStar is trying to claim that there is 0 proof of him harassing anyone and he said that Twitter told him that.

I saw his reasoning ('the polytron details already leaked so it's fair game' or some bullshit). He's a messed up person. I don't think the prick had ever heard of principles or manners.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Look at that, I'm on that autoblock thing. I don't even tweet that much, awesome.
Ehrmm I mean HOW DARE THEY!
Let's start a twitter campaign to harrass the creator and report it to Twitter cause I'm so outraged that I'm on some blocklist!

eRonin

Ugh I'm not on the list. Clearly I'm not trying hard enough to make the Internet a better, safer and more inclusive place.

Also the quote from Kendrick that directly mentions GG is vague, but fortunately, there is something called context and the rest of the interview ought to clue people into her real intentions.

Edit: Oh hey I AM on the list! ctrl-F fail on my part.

Dryk

I'm actually a bit unclear about what she's saying there.

I mean, contextually, looking at her other opinions in the interview, it looks like she's talking about Anita, Zoe, and Brianna. Though, since she specifically says "girls involved in GamerGate" I can see how people might think she's talking about #NotYourShield. Actually, that was my first thought, though I thought she was expressing that she felt bad that the #NotYourShield girls felt that the only way to be accepted was to support an anti-woman culture.
I think it was Dan Olson that pointed out that a big part of the problem is that if you are not the default white male 20-something then you are expected to strip yourself of anything that makes you different and leave it at the door of the clubhouse.

Toxi

Banned
Why are these Goofy Groupies obsessed with the twitter blocklist anyway? It's not like the people who use it are going to be convinced by anything they say. Do they just really hate the idea of people not listening to their whining?

I guess they just have nothing else to talk about.

Oersted

nojWx.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
I noticed some of my friends in the UTAU and Vocaloid community managed to get on the list and they only follow Feminist Frequency.

I think there are a lot of holes with that list because I follow FF too. I follow a lot of the prominent voices that are "anti-GG" and have been before this all even became a thing.

Don't mind me just disappointed I'm still not on the list >:C

SwissLion

Woo! Goat there!

The difference between the reactions to the block list really should tell everyone, including Gaters, something about this whole situation.

It won't because they're a collective mass of the least aware people on the internet apparently, but it's very telling for people with the ability to observe it.

MYeager

If GamerGate really wanted to raise money for charity they'd auction off spots on their ignore list. At this point I'm sure there some people who'd pay to have the horde ignore them.

SZips

To those not on the list, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It doesn't seem like many of them are using it. Either they aren't aware of it or, more likely, they have no idea what to do with it.

I'm still getting random GG supporters sending me Tweets despite my name being on their "anti-SJW" blocklist and despite my use of freebsdgirl's ggautoblocker list.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol, wtf. I see NeverAloneGame and JossWhedon on that list. I guess JossWhedon is totally a skeleton, but NeverAlone? Wot? How is this list even generated? That shit makes no sense, but then again, that should be no surprise.

So who the heck is Saul St. John again? A quick Google search gave me nothing.

I'm a daily GAF reader and even to me keeping up with names in this fiasco has proven to be very difficult sometimes. Hell, the first time I read the word "totalbiscuit" was here and it took me a while to realize who he was.

Didnt make the list :(... I follow both moviebob and femfreq on twitter and favourite a lot of things and still dont make it. hmph!!

Also... considering the lack of "gamer" related things that gamergate talks about I dont know why they are keeping the name since it is synonymous with harassment... unless due to the connection they get more atten...... Ohhhh!!!

Amir0x

Banned
to make the list you can't be afraid to call the anti-SJW brigade out on their shit on twitter. I spent a whole month when I was banned from GAF dismantling their hilarious arguments, it was hugely entertaining :D

oh how many of them were like "AMI UR A DRUG ADDICT" and I was like "lol come at me bros"

to make the list you can't be afraid to call the anti-SJW brigade out on their shit on twitter. I spent a whole month when I was banned from GAF dismantling their hilarious arguments, it was hugely entertaining :D

oh how many of them were like "AMI UR A DRUG ADDICT" and I was like "lol come at me bros"
Ah that sweet sweet ad hominem. I think I've actively engaed with Gators only a few times but it was pretty easy to argue with them. Shit, easier than Youtube comments.

SZips

So who the heck is Saul St. John again? A quick Google search gave me nothing.

I'm a daily GAF reader and even to me keeping up with names in this fiasco has proven to be very difficult sometimes. Hell, the first time I read the word "totalbiscuit" was here and it took me a while to realize who he was.

This is about all that I know about him: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/2nejpd/warning_regarding_the_antisjw_block_list/

Which is why the URL pointing towards the anti-SJW list was removed from this thread previously by users that posted it.

SZips

Thats why Im asking who is he! People here name drop this St. John character, some guy names Cernovich and Augini, many times without context or explanation, and leave me wondering who are they talking about.

That's the thing, he is just known for harassing and stalking people, women namely. He has done nothing else worth noting.

No idea who Augini is off the top of my head.

Cernovich is someone who sells juice. That has been his only notable, positive contribution to society that I've seen.

That's the thing, he is just known for harassing and stalking people, women namely. He has done nothing else worth noting.

No idea who Augini is off the top of my head.

Cernovich is someone who sells juice. That has been his only notable, positive contribution to society that I've seen.
Juice? Really? I've read something about his deliriums of grandeur about being some big shot lawyer or some crap. What I dont know is why is he so important that people keep quoting him in particular as opposed to hundreds that are legitimately crazier (but I assume less famous).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom