• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

Zolbrod

Okay, going off the article that Gematsu linked to, it sounds like it's going to be a "new RPG for home consoles that is not DQ or FF"

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7947601.html

So that rules out portables and anything DQ or FF related.
It doesn't specify whether it's a completely new IP or a new game in another established franchise though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Please not Vagrant Story 2.

Vagrant Story was a bit boring and not-fun to play.

At least Star Ocean was fun to play.

The Last Remnant?

Yeah, It's The Last Remnant.

Here are their new-IP previous gen home consoles JRPGs that aren't FF/DQ/KH:

Nier - Cavia - April 2010
Infinite Undiscovery - tri-Ace - September 2008
The Last Remnant - Square Enix (SaGa team) - April 2008

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
It's probably SO, it's their 4th best selling franchise after DQ, KH, and FF.

HeelPower

Lightning's Returns BATTLE SYSTEM needs to be reused and improved.

I would love it if they find a new universe ,characters and story to use this amazing battle system in.

This systems needs to come to life in more than just LR,a game that many overlooked due to XIII fatigue.

Yes, I know what you actually meant, but I was just making fun of the idea that Square Enix window seats staff and then transitions them to mobile, given that's not actually unheard of there.

Is there any pattern to SE's use of the word "console"? Have they announced a "console" game, and then revealed it was for a handheld?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there any pattern to SE's use of the word "console"? Have they announced a "console" game, and then revealed it was for a handheld?

Well, it's hard to say with Matsuda since he's not been a public figure very long, but while they include handhelds in "HD Games" in fiscal reports, generally to my understanding console games are home console games.

Reveirg

Infinite Undiscovery was a Microsoft franchise.

It was published and produced by S-E though.

From wikipedia: "Initially it was believed that Microsoft would publish the game,[8] however at TGS 2007, Hajime Kojima and Hiroshi Ogawa stated that Square Enix took over publishing duties because they have more "know-how" with RPGs.[9] However, since Microsoft was the original publisher, it holds the trademark for the game[10] and shares the copyright with Square Enix.[11]"

EDIT: Nvm, misunderstood what you meant.

Well, it's hard to say with Matsuda since he's not been a public figure very long, but while they include handhelds in "HD Games" in fiscal reports, generally to my understanding console games are home console games.

What an odd thing to do...
Thanks for the answer, regardless. Guess that means this will probably be on all the major consoles and possibly PC, in all likely hood.

Astery

Square Enix outlined plans in their financials earlier this month that they wish to revert to a model where they have more mid-tier medium-budget games, instead of their previous model of AAA and mobile games with nothing in between.

well you see SE has been making underwhelming mid tier medium budget mobile RPGs as well aside from obvious mobile cash grabs garbage.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What an odd thing to do...
Thanks for the answer, regardless. Guess that means this will probably be on all the major consoles and possibly PC, in all likely hood.

Well, in fiscal reports they have three general categories:

1.) HD Games (all their retail products or digital one time purchase type games)
2.) MMOs
3.) Mobile/Social Games (all their social-mobile games and IIRC their social browser games too)

I'm not sure if the f2p PC games go into category 2 or 3.

The basic idea though is revenue type of lump sum vs. subscription vs. recurring f2p as broad categories, though there is overlap and mismatching to an extent.

trinest

The "isn't a remake" remark is towards The World Ends With You fans bitter about the iOS remake. Finally offering a game for them a sequel.

Right?

Please?

:(

Squire

Banned
Sure, but the DQ games always come to the system with the biggest installed base in Japan. and that system is the 3DS right now. Plus DQVII remake WAS on 3DS, so that's something in its favor.

I wouldn't expect a console DQ game. Just not worth it for SE if they want to maximize revenue. DQ isn't that dependant on visuals like FF. If I had to bet, my money would be on 3DS getting DQXI.

You've missed quite a few hints to the contrary.

Square Nintendo collaboration for WiiU?

Extremely doubtful they would announce another game when they still have yet to release their current one :p. Unlike Monolith Soft, Square actually likes to make money, which means sending another jrpg out to potentially die on the system wouldn't be in their best interests.

Extremely doubtful they would announce another game when they still have yet to release their current one :p. Unlike Monolith Soft, Square actually likes to make money, which means sending another jrpg out to potentially die on the system wouldn't be in their best interests.

Yea - Square as a company probably keeps looking at the American companies like Rockstar or Activision and desiring that level of profit. So then they look at the consoles with the highest install base responsible for that level of profit.

Course not that that makes a difference anyway - they avoided the original Wii like the plague last gen despite it selling the most consoles...

Just look at that character design...no puppets anymore

Im still hoping for this. Plz Square

tri-Ace-New-Tech.jpg

Yeah, would still like to see them do a Star Ocean building off of that, it looked cool.

Yeah, would still like to see them do a Star Ocean building off of that, it looked cool.

yeah but this time with a more grounded character cast + design from the tech demo.

Keep the Gameplay from SO4 - that was extremely good as far as i can remember (enyojed it even more than the graces f combat)

sörine

Banned
Something like new title of a Strong IP.
Non DQ or FF Square Enix million sellers in Japan:

Chrono Trigger (SFC) 2,030,000
Seiken Densetsu 2 (SFC) 1,500,000
Romancing SaGa 3 (SFC) 1,300,000
Kingdom Hearts (PS2) 1,300,000
Romancing SaGa 2 (SFC) 1,170,000
Chocobo Fushigi no Dungeon (PS) 1,140,000
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) 1,130,000
Makaitoushi SaGa (GB) 1,100,000
SaGa Frontier (PS) 1,060000
Parasite Eve (PS) 1,060,000

crinale

Director of SAGA (i.e. FF legend) series has been tweeting he was working on something for a long time, so this could be it.

Top Bottom