• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Peltz

So, I've never actually used a Neo Geo AES controller, and my only experience with Neo Geo was via happ controls (gross) on a real American MVS arcade cabinet.

I'm curious as to the stick, itself: what am I in for? What modern stick does the OG AES stick feel like? I assume it's probably different from a Sanwa JLF that I've gotten used to over the past few years... but that's probably a good thing, because the JLF is a bit loose for my tastes.

Mercutio

So, I've never actually used a Neo Geo AES controller, and my only experience with Neo Geo was via happ controls (gross) on a real American MVS arcade cabinet.

I'm curious as to the stick, itself: what am I in for? What modern stick does the OG AES stick feel like? I assume it's probably different from a Sanwa JLF that I've gotten used to over the past few years... but that's probably a good thing, because the JLF is a bit loose for my tastes.

I believe the AES stick is a Seimitsu with a short base. It feels quite good, actually.

jbueno

I believe the AES stick is a Seimitsu with a short base. It feels quite good, actually.

It´s sexy as hell too.

MG8iCUt.gif

Peltz

It´s sexy as hell too.

MG8iCUt.gif

Holy shit that looks so good. I cannot wait for my Neo Geo. Guys... I had a dream I was playing it last night.

But who actually holds their arcade stick that way? I'd probably get my ass beaten using just my index finger and thumb like that. It just looks too imprecise even for the floppiest of Sanwa JLF sticks.

EDIT: Xian Xi, aka James just confirmed that he shipped my CMVS. It's in transit as of today.

Me:

tumblr_inline_n0y9hmKDsd1r5g1c1.gif

Edit: man this thread is super slow... I finally got me OG Neo Geo AES controller. I still don't have my CMVS (any day now) but I see why people say the stick is glorious and the buttons suck.... the stick has the perfect sized gate as far as I'm concerned. It feels so good. I can't wait to play an actual game with it. On the other hand, the buttons are so darn noisy and jiggly.

I'm also pretty shocked by how the controller's weight. It's so darn light!

Here are some pictures of my new CMVS and controller. JNX did an excellent job and it has been a blast to play so far. One big collecting goal has finally happened, and I cannot wait to add more to my MVS collection.

bsSRgsQ.jpg

FnfLNV8.jpg

dTNNBTA.jpg

Mercutio

Edit: man this thread is super slow... I finally got me OG Neo Geo AES controller. I still don't have my CMVS (any day now) but I see why people say the stick is glorious and the buttons suck.... the stick has the perfect sized gate as far as I'm concerned. It feels so good. I can't wait to play an actual game with it. On the other hand, the buttons are so darn noisy and jiggly.

I'm also pretty shocked by how the controller's weight. It's so darn light!

Ergonomically I love that stick. The slight slope down from the buttons / stick is incredibly comfortable, sitting with it on your lap or with it on a table. Great design, IMO. I also love the button splay.

But yeah, now you see the buttons. They absolutely blow. I don't even think they're properly sized for the holes; mine did nothing but squeak before I ripped them out.

Peltz

Ergonomically I love that stick. The slight slope down from the buttons / stick is incredibly comfortable, sitting with it on your lap or with it on a table. Great design, IMO. I also love the button splay.

But yeah, now you see the buttons. They absolutely blow. I don't even think they're properly sized for the holes; mine did nothing but squeak before I ripped them out.

I've got no squeaking on the one that has come in... it's clear that someone took good care of it. The ball on the joystick isn't even cracked (although it wouldn't surprise me if it were a replacement ball).

Still waiting on my CMVS and second controller though. When I have it, I'll probably PM you for mod jobs.

I may buy a third crappy controller so I have something to use during the mod process.

It's weird to me that the buttons don't even have sleeves... they just jiggle inside the controller's chassis.

Edit: retrogamer84, I'm about to get mine as well. :) I see James gave you some sexy sanwa buttons. How do you like that controller?

Mercutio

I've got no squeaking on the one that has come in... it's clear that someone took good care of it. The ball on the joystick isn't even cracked (although it wouldn't surprise me if it were a replacement ball).

Still waiting on my CMVS and second controller though. When I have it, I'll probably PM you for mod jobs.

I may buy a third crappy controller so I have something to use during the mod process.

It's weird to me that the buttons don't even have sleeves... they just jiggle inside the controller's chassis.

At that time, it was a rarity to even have a good stick in a home controller! I think only one or two other sticks did in the 90s, not including the glorious HSS-0130. Hell, even the HSS-0130 stock has crap buttons.

I've seen SNES controllers modified for Neo Geo before... might be good to check one of those out as a stopgap while yours is getting fancified?

Peltz

At that time, it was a rarity to even have a good stick in a home controller! I think only one or two other sticks did in the 90s, not including the glorious HSS-0130. Hell, even the HSS-0130 stock has crap buttons.

I've seen SNES controllers modified for Neo Geo before... might be good to check one of those out as a stopgap while yours is getting fancified?

I'd rather grab the Neo Geo CD controller if possible. Although I'll rarely use it, it could be good to have as an alternate control method in certain types of less action oriented games.

Mercutio

I'd rather grab the Neo Geo CD controller if possible. Although I'll rarely use it, it could be good to have as an alternate control method in certain types of less action oriented games.

The only bummer about the Neo Geo CD pad is that they're going up in price, and the D-Stick-Pad thing is prone to breakage. It's also often impossible to fix, which is heartbreaking given how great it is.

Here's some info on it:
http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/neopadfix.htm

I always wanted a Neo Geo Pad 2. IIRC, the construction was much improved and of course there are six action buttons. Same thing for the Neo Geo Stick line for the PS2. Very classy looking.

Just got a text from my friend, apparently Blazing Star was intended as a Pulstar sequel. Someone went into the coding and found an alternate name, "Pulstar Blast".

Edit: retrogamer84, I'm about to get mine as well. :) I see James gave you some sexy sanwa buttons. How do you like that controller?

I love it! The joystick is so fluid and precise that I can easily pull off moves that I was struggling with my 360 controller. The buttons are great also, but it is the joystick that shines for me. Fighting games have never been so fun.

how's the build quality on it? I was always under the impression that the USB version lacked heft, but I could be thinking of something else.

Compared to my OEM NGCD pad, you're right. It's a bit lighter. The directional mech is a lot more responsive though, as my NGCD has worn down of the years. It's still great controller.

bellez

Neo Member
Here's a pic of Knight's Chance AES Japanese version.
It's an indie game created by Neobitz and recently released. Got my copy yesterday :D

And a size comparation with a PS3 game. I suppose part of the appeal of a Neo Geo game comes from those big carts and boxes!

baphomet

Got me a copy of Windjammers MVS for $90 shipped today. Needs a repro label because its kinda beat, but it's a permanent member of my collection from now on.

Can't wait to play it!

baphomet

Congrats! Great game. I'm still slumming it up with the CD version.

Yea it was actually my favorite neo Geo game growing up. Its cool its finally got some recognition recently (even if it doubled the price).

Odd thing, when I went to Middle Tennessee State back in 02 I went to a game store that had a candy cabinet with windjammers in it. To this day its the only candy cab I've ever seen in person.

Peltz

Yea it was actually my favorite neo Geo game growing up. Its cool its finally got some recognition recently (even if it doubled the price).

Odd thing, when I went to Middle Tennessee State back in 02 I went to a game store that had a candy cabinet with windjammers in it. To this day its the only candy cab I've ever seen in person.

You've seen exactly 100% more Candy cabs than me so cherish that memory.

Guys, this happened:

10389358_10100898479791200_5814756024096079045_n.jpg
My day today in a nutshell:

10689623_10100898483379010_7659391949799218161_n.jpg
The Future Is Now
10403171_10100898479781220_5618587601458911696_n.jpg

baphomet

I sold my consolized MVS a few weeks back and decided to go with just a MVS board and supergun setup since it works better for me. I thought I was getting an MV1A but ended up getting an MV1AX which means a soldered bios instead of a socketed one. Not a big deal, but basically means what should have taken 20 seconds took an hour or so. Shouldn't complain though, the guy I bought it from went out of his way to get me a super clean board and it looks great.

Before

After

Can't wait for my copy of Windjammers to show up. Oddly enough I just got a message on Facebook from my roommate at MTSU saying he moved back to Colorado and wanted to play some Windjammers. He was the one who played it with me on the candy cab in that game store.

Does anyone have any experience with Neomini boxes?

I kinda want to spruce up my MVS collection a bit and Shockboxes cost far too much, so these seem like a good alternative. They take up less space too which is a plus.

I have around 50 games though, so it does end up costing around 140 euro shipped which isn't exactly impulse buy territory.

Also just bought Top Hunter and Shock Troopers 2nd Squad. Had no plans to buy either but they were just so tempting...plus I already have the original Shock Troopers (great game) so I can console myself with that when I realise that 2nd Squad sucks.

Bar81

Does anyone have any experience with Neomini boxes?

I kinda want to spruce up my MVS collection a bit and Shockboxes cost far too much, so these seem like a good alternative. They take up less space too which is a plus.

I have around 50 games though, so it does end up costing around 140 euro shipped which isn't exactly impulse buy territory.

They are really nice - they have a real nice gloss finish and are much sturdier than I would have thought before receiving them. The compact size and choice of JP or US labels is a nice bonus.

Thanks, I think I will invest in them at some point since they're really not that expensive at around £2 each shipped.

Just got to figure out what games I actually own, since half are Japanese and I can't read the labels.

Thanks, I think I will invest in them at some point since they're really not that expensive at around £2 each shipped.

Just got to figure out what games I actually own, since half are Japanese and I can't read the labels.
I'm sure plenty of people here could help with that if you post a photo.

OK, so 2nd Squad is actually not that bad. It's just...disappointing in comparison to the original. If it wasn't a direct sequel to Shock Troopers I think it would have a better reputation.

It is a special brand of ugly though. The pre-rendered assets have aged badly and visually the whole thing is an incoherent mess.

I'm sure plenty of people here could help with that if you post a photo.
Thanks, kinda fun to stick them in my cab and see what happens though.

Totally forgot I had Magical Drop 2 for instance. Good job I didn't buy it the other day when I saw a copy on Ebay! Also helped remind me just how much I suck at that game.

Teknoman

Do they have a version with art on the front as well? I'd probably like one for Metal Slug 2.

EDIT: Co-sign on 2nd Squad being disappointed compared to the first. I cant even imagine what they were thinking.

Do they have a version with art on the front as well? I'd probably like one for Metal Slug 2.

EDIT: Co-sign on 2nd Squad being disappointed compared to the first. I cant even imagine what they were thinking.
Neominiboxes? Don't think so - just the spine. I guess considering they're only ~£3 a pop the printing costs would have been too high. You could always try and print a cover yourself; I think some people have done that in the past.

what kinda monitors does NEO-GAF use on their setups?

PVM-2530 here. Actually I have 5 of them lol, though on one the picture is barely hanging on. I've been putting this off for forever but I really want to figure out the dual monitor thing. My friends and I love to get down on some KoF and for the longest time I've wanted to play it H2H. I know for most arcade boards the raw video signal can be split clean without being amplified. I'm guessing the same can be done out of the Omega RGB?

Top Bottom