• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

I haven't had a single connection issue. I am like some others...COD pushed me back to this game, and I realized that I absolutely love this game. I will continue to play this up until the sequels release, which will be one of my most anticipated releases.
By connection issues i mean i'm rarely in a game where everyone has close to full bars. There's always a few people lagging bad. That never happened to me before.

I loved this game when I first installed it, but it seemed like gradually over time people stopped playing. It was hard to get into the mode I wanted to get into so titanfall fell off my radar around one of the earlier updates. I tried it again when the black market was added and I didn't feel like continuing mainly cause I still couldn't play a mode I liked.

But for some reason, I wanted to give this game another shot. I already hit gen 8 before I stopped playing. I liked it that much, figure what is to lose except the download and install times (which are horrendous for my standards at least).

Now you can see how many people are in a playlist. That was really needed. Now I don't have to go in blindly to see what playlist is worth joining, at least.

But what I didn't even know about is frontier defense (or heard about and immediately forgot about). And I just did my first frontier defense map and I actually enjoyed it.

Still, I wish this game was more popular on PC. I wish it had a competitive scene. And I wish they just deleted that god awful smart pistol. I have to wonder whether the smart pistol drove more hardcore shooter fans away or not.

edit:
I also noticed that a lot of people are using the smart pistol now. Like... it is already kinda pushing me away again.

edit:
No wonder people are tryharding smart pistol... with this ranked thing I literally just learned about.

Alric

Just finished my 48 hours trial of the game you can get through Origin. Really liked it, and wonder if they'll do a black friday deal for the full game this week.

Lemstar

Got to Diamond. Apparently it's still easier to score 140+ points against gen1s than to perform acceptably against people who are legitimately good. Go figure.

Just finished my 48 hours trial of the game you can get through Origin. Really liked it, and wonder if they'll do a black friday deal for the full game this week.
Pretty likely. It was $10 just last week at GamersGate ($8 with a voucher), too, after the Amazon $10 sale ended.

Is the community still okay on PC?

Might install it again soon.
All the playlist numbers look dismal, but even when there are ~80something people playing campaign in my region (USW), I still usually wind up getting the full 12 players in games.

HelloMeow

RESPAWN: Fix the fucking SMART PISTOL . Please. Thank you.

Even though it's impossible to get an accurate number, I wonder how many people stopped playing or didn't even consider playing the game because of that thing.
At least 5 people I know either never touched the game or stopped playing because of it. That's about half of the people I play with who were interested in the game.

Even though it's impossible to get an accurate number, I wonder how many people stopped playing or didn't even consider playing the game because of that thing.
At least 5 people I know either never touched the game or stopped playing because of it. That's about half of the people I play with who were interested in the game.
I never had a problem with it before because the connection was good enough (xbone) that i could always do enough to beat them most of the time.

Now with things being inconsistent and on certain parkour heavy maps it's almost impossible to deal with. Played against this kid that bunny hopped all over the place just locking on....

Seriously RESPAWN FIX IT

Septic360

Banned
This has been the best MP game I've played this gen.
The updates and gameplay are second to none.

Agreed. Its strange how its been relegated to the sidelines in such dramatic fashion.

I voted it the best FPS of the year.

http://www.gameondaily.com/titanfall-best-fps-2014/

After the mess that is TMCC and getting infuriated by COD: AW and its last gen problems, I went back to Titanfall and was taken aback by just how balanced, smooth and downright brilliant the game is.

You can tell how much fun I was having yesterday lol:

http://www.twitch.tv/gameondaily1/c/5557829

Maybe they should change smart pistol to a very accurate hipfire weapon that still has a kind of clear line of sight requirement so it doesn't become too good. Get rid of the auto-aim, even on grunts/spectres, entirely.

I bought this at launch and never really played it. With so many new people jumping on the Xbone bandwagon now, think I'll try it again.

Any regular GAF players, feel free to add me for some jolly cooperation: XBL ID: Wheel Hoss 1

my aiming is back and i'm now wrecking fools. It still amazes me how bad most of the people are at this game.

Respawn needs another update for this game before the holidays kick in and a flux of players get on. It's also shocking they don't just release all the maps for free. This game NEEDS all the maps available to keep fragmentation out.

my aiming is back and i'm now wrecking fools. It still amazes me how bad most of the people are at this game.

Respawn needs another update for this game before the holidays kick in and a flux of players get on. It's also shocking they don't just release all the maps for free. This game NEEDS all the maps available to keep fragmentation out.

I wonder how pissed people would be if they did that. But they should, at least on PC, where the population needs a very big kick.

I would guess that some people who paid for DLC would be grateful cause there really is no point in owning the DLC if they can't reliably play it.

And the issue with population fragmentation is definitely a real thing that I hate to see in MP games. I wish all pubs would stop doing map dlc for fps. Won't happen but that is what I'd like to see.

But the DLC isn't fragmenting the playerbase. Matchmaking doesn't segregate players by DLC ownership.

It's stupid. No one is playing any of the new maps on Xbone. The population is so low. It's rare that i get into a regular game with new maps.

This trend needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. Maps should be free. Charge for something else, like additional campaign. It hurts every FPS game and especially ones with lower population.

E92 M3

Sucks I bought the season pass instead of waiting for the bundle sale this week. I want to go digital and sell my hard copy. Now, I'll just have to deal with it.

Is there a concrete explanation on why on this game more than any other shooter i've played has an abundance of flat out idiots? Some of the worst gamers i've ever encountered have been on this game.

People are downright atrocious when it comes to Titanfall

Alric

Sucks I bought the season pass instead of waiting for the bundle sale this week. I want to go digital and sell my hard copy. Now, I'll just have to deal with it.

Is it on sale now? I was waiting for the PC deluxe version to go on sale. If it is now i'll have to get it when I get home.

Would anyone share the X1 numbers? I'm thinking of picking TF up on BF but the population is a concern for me.

For what region? Here in Australia pretty much the only mode played is Attrition and for anything else I need to switch to the US West server which is generally populated enough in each mode to at least find a game.

According to the numbers right now in total across all modes:

AU Server - 18
US West - ~3000

Not great by any means but still enough to enjoy the game, for me anyway.

Lemstar

Is it on sale now? I was waiting for the PC deluxe version to go on sale. If it is now i'll have to get it when I get home.
$32 deluxe, $15 game standalone, $18.74 season pass.

I don't get your point here. That was around the time the game released.
If you're at an extreme end of the skill distribution, there's a necessary tradeoff between being matched against people wildly different in skill level and having reasonable queue times. I'm pretty sure all the best players play inhouses, anyway.

D23

Thinking of getting this for cheap. Is it still active? Coming from cod aw. Will i grt kill 5 sec after i spawn? Hows the ttk

Thinking of getting this for cheap. Is it still active? Coming from cod aw. Will i grt kill 5 sec after i spawn? Hows the ttk

TTK is higher, strafing works, and the maps are big enough where you don't get spawn camped.

Population is better on bone than pc

p3tran

Banned
so, I've been continuously seeing titanfall ads on tv.
its a microsoft azure ad, but it keeps showing and showing.
the other ad for azure I've seen, one regarding formula1 data etc,
I've seen it with like 20 times less frequency.
so, good promo.

hope respawn is happy with what they did with microsoft.
I know I've been happy since march :D

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
so, I've been continuously seeing titanfall ads on tv.
its a microsoft azure ad, but it keeps showing and showing.
the other ad for azure I've seen, one regarding formula1 data etc,
I've seen it with like 20 times less frequency.
so, good promo.

hope respawn is happy with what they did with microsoft.
I know I've been happy since march :D

At one point we were pretty close in matches played but you seem ot have gone past me. Funny thing is, I hardly ever see you online playing Titanfall, it's always something else.

Timezones I guess.

Only got one achievement left now, earn 500K. I"m at about 370K. Aklthough pre Update 8 I had EASILY earned 400K or more.

*begin shameless self-promotion*
We turned on Marked For Death Pro today, and brought back Pilot Skirmish and Wingman LTS. Give Marked For Death Pro a shot: it has a Counterstrike feel to it I hope you guys will enjoy. It also has a Round Winning Kill Replay which I think is pretty cool.
*end shameless self-promotion*

Will definitely check that out tonight. Don't know if I care about Pilot Skirmish being back, but MFD Pro sounds fun, and I didn't get a proper go at Wingman LTS last time around. Hopefully my Wingman will be around this time instead of crapping around Destiny.

Alric

*begin shameless self-promotion*
We turned on Marked For Death Pro today, and brought back Pilot Skirmish and Wingman LTS. Give Marked For Death Pro a shot: it has a Counterstrike feel to it I hope you guys will enjoy. It also has a Round Winning Kill Replay which I think is pretty cool.
*end shameless self-promotion*

wait there is a mode with 1 life per round like counter-strike? if so, awesome.

I know it's an awkward hour, but matchmaking numbers are pretty bad. Marked for Death Pro running at 3 players total in the US when I quit just now. Seems pretty fun, but I'll have to try it during normal hours sometime. Pilot Skirmish is at 0 in the US. 1 worldwide, lol.

Why can't I play Pilot Skirmish in private matches?
That's a good question. It should be a lot more configurable than it is. I mean, it's nice that they added burn card sets or whatever, but really they should have launched with all that in there, plus instead of it being 'private match' it should have been 'custom match' and been browsable. Or even just renting cloud space for dedicated custom servers that are browsable. Don't get me wrong, there's been some cool stuff in the playlist updates, but make it super configurable, and the players will find the most fun variants every time.

Anyone got a strategy for Rise on Frontier Defence?

Fuck me it's hard.

If you are simply aiming for completing it instead of 3 stars:

When regular Titans show up, everyone stay at base, lure them in to pick them off together, don't go solo aka preserver your Titans' health.

Then when shit starts to get out of control, put your strongest anti-Titan guy to the small alley to the left, he must be using an entirely anti-Titan loadout, I recommend Atlas with Arc Cannon/40mm Cannon, idealy amped version with Particle Wall and Core Accelerator, he must be holding the entire lane on his own. The rest 3 spread out to the right and push forward to engage Arc and Nuke Titans early, as far as you can into their spawn, leave one Titan at most and all your Turrets at base to defend against infantry. It's hard to get 3 star on this map but I've been using this strategy in random games getting 2 stars with no retries constantly.

Also @ everyone who plays on Xbox One: how is the population there? Thinking about picking it up as it's 18.99$ with season pass now.
I rented the game last week and tended to play at late hours of the night (2-4 am) and there was always a game going 2,000ish on the death match playlist and 200ish on othere more obscure modes
Pretty decent. You should have no trouble finding games.

how is the dlc population? that's my biggest worry.

The DLC content is almost always empty as fuck from what I have seen. I own the first two packs but never downloaded the third since there never seems to be anyone on it.

Has anyone hit diamond level 5 and fully leveled up in the ranked list? I hit diamond last week but getting battlemarks seems almost random. I only play LTS but it's still strange. Like I can finish with 7 titan kills, 2 deaths, 4 pilot kills, and 5 assists and get a battlemark. But then I can go 13 titan kills, 0 deaths, 10 pilot kills, and 10 assists, and get nothing. It seems losing a round badly affects the rank score you get.

I rented the game last week and tended to play at late hours of the night (2-4 am) and there was always a game going 2,000ish on the death match playlist and 200ish on othere more obscure modes

how is the dlc population? that's my biggest worry.

DLC is integrated into all the playlists, so there's honestly no good reason to play the DLC lists.

Has anyone hit diamond level 5 and fully leveled up in the ranked list? I hit diamond last week but getting battlemarks seems almost random. I only play LTS but it's still strange. Like I can finish with 7 titan kills, 2 deaths, 4 pilot kills, and 5 assists and get a battlemark. But then I can go 13 titan kills, 0 deaths, 10 pilot kills, and 10 assists, and get nothing. It seems losing a round badly affects the rank score you get.

I just started playing again and i'm already almost diamond 2 but like most rankings in FPS it's retarded. I go balls out for some shit team i get paired with and still lose a battle mark cuz my teammates in Titanfall have to be some of the ass dumbest fucks on any shooter, ever. You shouldn't lose a mark if you're performing higher than everyone else. Awareness seems to be a huge problem in this game, kids just don't know what the fuck is going on.

I'll reach Diamond 5 in a day or two but it better lock in or what's the point? Whose going to have rank on just so they can lose the D5?

Ranking up seems really easy cause... it takes no account of your opponent's skill really. On PC, I am largely relegated to playing attrition... so even if I score 100+ points, if my teammates have like 8+ deaths, which happens, my team can still lose. Turns out that extra bonus points from winning is important since earning battlemarks post platinum takes much longer. One match I earned 112 points (115 total, - 3 from 1 death), and I only earned like 90% of 1 battlemark.

Seems like hitting diamond won't take long, just more matches going forward from platinum onwards. Then it resets at the end of the month anyway.

Top Bottom