• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

Haunted

including a 'consequence notification' for the most important choice in the game:
Zoë's career.

Many players are still unaware that the first Decision Point branches the game into two unique gameplay-and-story paths for Zoë in Europolis. We wanted to better highlight this fact.
I've finished the first episode and was completely unaware of this. :lol

Not that that would've changed my decision, but still.

Famassu

So watched a bit of a lp bc i know my comp cant play this game. Seems like the actions have much more consequence than the tell tale twd games. The stories are actually affected by your decisions. Shitbot vs kidbot ftw.

Also how many eps are there supposed to be? 5? 5-6 hours each seems like a good deal.
I think 5? And I think they've said that the consecutive episodes would be a lot bigger in scope, so they might be much longer than 4-6 hours.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tempted to replay this from the start to see how much better the experience is now.

leng jai

I'm enjoying the story and atmosphere but this is still really janky and the game parts are mostly tedious rather than fun.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Having just finished the first Dreamfall today (boy do I feel bad for those of you that had to wait almost a decade to have all those goddamned cliffhangers addressed - really glad I waited to play it), I just started this and the new voice for Zoe is jarring. I don't know enough about British accents to say which this is but it is very distinct and it makes her feel like a different character. The actress is amazing though, and all the delivery is spot so I guess that's more important. Kian's new voice is perfection but he wasn't developed nearly as much in the first game so I wouldn't have been too broken up even if it weren't.

Still very early in but already really impressed with the look and atmosphere of Europolis. I feel like TLJ tried to depict this type of dystopian, cyberpunk setting in the non-Venice areas of Newport but just wasn't up to the task due to technological or art reasons so your mind had to fill in the blanks a bit. Dreamfall 1's locations were a lot more rural/old world, so they didn't require this kind of art direction. This is the first game in this franchise that I feel like is finally able to adequately depict what I envisioned this world as all this time and it's making me giddy.

I can't wait to play more of this. I can't wait for all of its chapters to release. I can't wait to see where this story goes. I've never even been that much of an adventure game or interactive fiction fan but this franchise pushes every one of my buttons.

The one thing I'm not sure I like yet is all the new moral choices they've adopted from other modern adventure games. I've enjoyed these games as a vehicle for Ragnar to tell his story and I don't like the the idea of implementing variables into it.

Tetranet

I wasn't aware it had released, I'm getting it now. Great OT as well! Can't wait to get back to The Longest Journey.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ok I just played thru the whole thing
and I never even met the lady in the robot shop
. What did I miss?

mike4001_

Forgive me if this has already been asked several times: Can I play this game if I did not play die previous games ?

I know they released a 3 min recap of Dreamfall on youtube but did not cover The Longest Journey at all.

I also read the story in 3 paragraphs on wikipedia on both games.

Will I be able to enjoy the game or does it make no sense at all?

In the forums they write the interactive graphic novel should sill come before book 2 (or 3) which should give a more details background of the previous game(s).

LiQuid!

Forgive me if this has already been asked several times: Can I play this game if I did not play die previous games ?

I know they released a 3 min recap of Dreamfall on youtube but did not cover The Longest Journey at all.

I also read the story in 3 paragraphs on wikipedia on both games.

Will I be able to enjoy the game or does it make no sense at all?

In the forums they write the interactive graphic novel should sill come before book 2 (or 3) which should give a more details background of the previous game(s).

As much as I love this franchise and want everyone to buy and support this immediately, I don't see much value in purchasing this right now if you have not played the first two games. It's a very short experience currently, for $30 that only serves as a payoff for people who have been waiting almost a decade for conclusion to the previous games' many cliffhangers.

I DO however HIGHLY recommend that you play both of the first games. A wiki synopsis does not do justice to the amount of world, mythos and character building that happens over the course of the first two games. The reason people love these games is because of their characters, story and writing. I don't just mean the overarching plot threads but the nuances that the characters develop thru perfectly written and voice acted dialog.

You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you skip the first two just to get to this one.

mike4001_

As much as I love this franchise and want everyone to buy and support this immediately, I don't see much value in purchasing this right now if you have not played the first two games. It's a very short experience currently, for $30 that only serves as a payoff for people who have been waiting almost a decade for conclusion to the previous games' many cliffhangers.

I DO however HIGHLY recommend that you play both of the first games. A wiki synopsis does not do justice to the amount of world, mythos and character building that happens over the course of the first two games. The reason people love these games is because of their characters, story and writing. I don't just mean the overarching plot threads but the nuances that the characters develop thru perfectly written and voice acted dialog.

You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you skip the first two just to get to this one.

Thanks, I feared something like this :)

I recently purchased The Longest Journey for 3,99 ;-) - and tried it out.

While I really don´t mind the graphics, the old gameplay mechanics are really a huge turn-off if you know modern adventures. Not being able to skip the spoken text if I already read it, clunky inventory-system, ...

I don´t know what to do because I really loved the trailer of the new game.

LiQuid!

Thanks, I feared something like this :)

I recently purchased The Longest Journey for 3,99 ;-) - and tried it out.

While I really don´t mind the graphics, the old gameplay mechanics are really a huge turn-off if you know modern adventures. Not being able to skip the spoken text if I already read it, clunky inventory-system, ...

I don´t know what to do because I really loved the trailer of the new game.
The first game has 3 really REALLY obtuse puzzles that are 100% worth following a guide to get thru if you don't have the patience for archaic adventure game puzzle design. Dreamfall tones down to puzzles to a ludicrously easy level (tho introduces some bone headed puzzle/combat stealth segments - but they're easy to pass) which I actually appreciated. All of the "gameplay" elements in these games have just been an impediment to experiencing the story IMO.

There's a Balance choice early on that
decides your career. So you ended up working the other job.
I just started replaying it and selecting pretty much all of the opposite choices from my first time and am just discovering this.
The choice even changed the outfit Zoe is wearing! The entire time I kept thinking about how much I hated the booty shorts over tights look from the previous outfit.
. This is the kind of thing that I wish was NOT in the game.
Choice leading you down a completely different path sounds like a good idea in theory, but it makes me mad knowing that I played thru the entire book barely experiencing the robot shop lady, instead getting stuck with the boring scientist

I've done some structural changes to the OT; namely, I've moved all the text-heavy info sections (world, character, and story so far) to the second post, and included a link to it at the top of the post. This was done because those wordy sections made the OT just squeak under the character limit, and made it impossible to add anything else.

This gives me a lot more breathing room for adding notes or expanding the OT for future episodes. I'll be doing some more addition and cleanup soon.

LiQuid!

Played thru 2 times fully with a lot of different decisions each time. I wonder what save it will pull from next episode or if you get to choose.

I really don't like how explicitly the game spells out how your choices will effect the future chapters. This whole choice system still rubbing me the wrong way. Seems like a good fit for Walking Dead or whatever other games use this, but I really don't like it in this series where I want to experience a complete story in full, linear canon.

LiQuid!

The difference the patch makes is substantial. I wish I didn't play it twice before that came out. Oh well, the framerate stuff was bad but didn't detract from the enjoyment.

Now the wait for book 2 ensues. The struggle is real, friends.

Kimaka

For all backers, the Book One soundtrack is available to download at Humble Bundle. It's so good. I love their music choices for this series.

Flirting with Dr Roman was such a great and funny sequence XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp2YEM7OG9g&feature=youtu.be

Also, game looks gorgeous in 1080p. Yay new laptop!

Zoe's reaction upon realizing what she was doing was amusing, albeit a bit weird because Dr. Roman reminded me of Ragnar.

Can anyone help me out here, I've tried twice now and kidbot gets stuck every time for some reason, just refusing to do as I ask it at some point. First time I got through the first two and it got stuck, reloaded tried again, and now it just got stuck right in the beginning like this:

http://a.pomf.se/ykpmds.webm

am I being an idiot?

please help

Nela is the best marxist street chef!
iBDsnHIHGOuRN.gif

jb1234

Still haven't finished the first chapter yet. Everything was going relatively smoothly (even though I continue to find Kian boring) but the oversized city lost me. I hate mazes like that, especially when there's not all that much to do in them.

Ohhhhhh

So I finished Book One (loved it) and was wondering where that scene with Mira at the tech shop was and wanted to see this Shitbot everyone talks about. Apparently, it's like Witcher 2 or Wolfenstein where you get separate characters and areas based on your choices.

iW5ylEAknYOKg.png

Because of choosing to go back into school, I was at the newspaper place The Hand That Feeds with Reza and Sully. Or is that a universal place for every player to see?
ibjLzBwH43ynfq.jpg

Ada at the lab with Kidbot, cutest bot ever.
ivwV55jFj71F7.jpg

ipUhWtrBVPJ21.jpg

This is the only instance of Mira I ever saw.
i0tdgfMrZXr2O.jpg

I want to replay to see the Mira and Shitbot content, but then wouldn't I have to play it a third time to stick with my Hand That Bites and Ada/Kidbot team?

Also, am I wearing different clothes because of that choice?
ibuN7yFljRRygu.jpg

Kimaka

When is soon?? Oh, how I wish I could have this now.

Ohhhhhh

So I finished Book One (loved it) and was wondering where that scene with Mira at the tech shop was and wanted to see this Shitbot everyone talks about. Apparently, it's like Witcher 2 or Wolfenstein where you get separate characters and areas based on your choices.

http://i.minus.com/iW5ylEAknYOKg.png

Because of choosing to go back into school, I was at the newspaper place The Hand That Feeds with Reza and Sully. Or is that a universal place for every player to see?
http://i.minus.com/ibjLzBwH43ynfq.jpg

Everyone gets to go to The Hand That Feeds. The only split I'm aware of is going back to school and working with Ada or working for Mira and Wit.

I love kidbot :3 But I ought to replay to see what all the fuss over Shitbot is about.

This is the only instance of Mira I ever saw.
http://i.minus.com/i0tdgfMrZXr2O.jpg

I want to replay to see the Mira and Shitbot content, but then wouldn't I have to play it a third time to stick with my Hand That Bites and Ada/Kidbot team?

Also, am I wearing different clothes because of that choice?
http://i.minus.com/ibuN7yFljRRygu.jpg

According to a mod on the forums, your autosaves will never be deleted so you can just play again. To restore your original choices, you load up your last save of your original run and complete it so that will be the last autosave. Alternatively, you can copy your saves to a different location just to make sure they won't get overwritten. They are located here: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters

And, yes, the clothing changes because of that. I like her school outfit more than the other. It looks better with some color.

LiQuid!

I'm not sure which choices will roll over from book to book. I assume it is whatever your latest set of choices is. I played thru book 1 twice and I imagine I'm going to end up playing thru all books over again every time I new one comes out just so I have one definitive set of choices. I would say hopefully they don't matter TOO much in the grand scheme, but I already think being able to miss out on shit bot (like I did my first play) is criminal and not something that should be gated behind an otherwise innocuous decision. I just wish they hadn't leaned too much towards the Tell Tale method of adventure game for this release because I want to see everything without having to do a bunch of replays.

When is soon?? Oh, how I wish I could have this now.

Everyone gets to go to The Hand That Feeds. The only split I'm aware of is going back to school and working with Ada or working for Mira and Wit.

I love kidbot :3 But I ought to replay to see what all the fuss over Shitbot is about.

According to a mod on the forums, your autosaves will never be deleted so you can just play again. To restore your original choices, you load up your last save of your original run and complete it so that will be the last autosave. Alternatively, you can copy your saves to a different location just to make sure they won't get overwritten. They are located here: C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters

And, yes, the clothing changes because of that. I like her school outfit more than the other. It looks better with some color.

Thanks, will try some backups just in case. Walking Dead didn't have really much noticeable changes to decisions from what I played of season 1 so this is more satisfying to me to bother replaying it.

Haunted

there's a kidbot and a shitbot whaaaattttttt

Already more meaningful choices than The Walking Dead.

Love devs that have the balls, vision and the creative freedom to actually put in branching paths and significant chunks of unique, missable content into their game. This is the kind of thing that lends actual weight to player choices. Witcher 2 did this as well.

Top Bottom