• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

One thing I'm really finding difficult to like is how your progression seems minimal. I don't really want to spend 13 minutes on a boss, maxed out with my character's current CP grid, to then get a 5 star rating (e.g. be told this is a more than acceptable time).

I like being able to blitz bosses in jrpgs if I want to. I assume they wanted to make bosses challenging, but there's a difference between challenging and annoying. None of the boss fights towards the end of the game are innovative at all, just a case of throwing a few million hp on them and testing your patience.

CentroXer

Banned
dat titan

screenshot_2014-11-22cexq5.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Levyne

Banned
Sorry, was just decompressing from finally getting that. Here's a slightly more worthwhile post.

I think my opinion of XIII hasn't really changed. I guess the PS3 release wasn't that long ago for my expectations to have changed or anything. Everyone knows the common linearity and vague story-telling complaints (without use of the datalog, I mean) so I won't touch those. I wish there were more fights like mission 64 / Long Gui where you're using 5 or all 6 of the paradigms, and every single person in each set has a role. Those last couple battles are really fun, but the climb to them is pretty boring and monotonous. Especially the farming needed to get Treasure Hunter / Ultimate Weapons. Only fully upgraded one weapon and sold a bunch of stuff to try to minimize how many damn turtles I needed to kill. Of course, some of that grind is on me for wanting to get the trophies.

I feel like the story pacing gets really weird on Pulse. Obviously, the scale of the place and the player getting distracted is a factor, but it also feels like the last few Eidolon summons have to be shoe-horned in, which requires the characters to be awkwardly dramatic. And it's as if the cast doesn't really have a direction or purpose, except maybe to loosely go to Oerba. They only really end up back on Cocoon because they run into the big bad.

That cinematic when they return is impossibly flashy, btw X_X

I just wish there were more distractions. Outside of fighting stuff, you can fix Bhakti and you can dig on a chocobo. Neither are super compelling, and the chocobo digging just rewards based on the number of digs.

Overall, it's a game worth playing. I just wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for good or great jrpgs.

Levyne

Banned
I was getting regular crashes with gedosato, it seemed more frequent the more I saved/loaded (ie, when killing turtles ><) so for the endgame bit I ended up disabling that.

Losing progress stink :<

Falk

that puzzling face
XIII-2 platinum takes like 20 minutes.

Except for that one stupid rare spawn in Sunleth Waterscape which balloons out the platinum time to about 60 hours.

GOD DAMN

I remember someone on here manged to find higher res version of the game's font. Did they ever succeed or trying in replacing? What about the PS3 UI layout, anyone manage to grab then create a higher res version of those?

I remember someone on here manged to find higher res version of the game's font. Did they ever succeed or trying in replacing? What about the PS3 UI layout, anyone manage to grab then create a higher res version of those?

Won't those problems be fixed once they update the game with the resolutions though?

Or are you talking about, like, 4k UI?

Falk

that puzzling face
Is it possible to replace My Hands with Kimi Ga Iru Kara, or is the whole ending just a video file?

I would assume that the ending is a video file, yes. And My Hands + English voice acting would be one pre-baked audio stream, while Kimi Ga Iru Kara + JP voice acting would be one pre-baked audio stream.

If you wanted to be extremely OCD about it, someone could probably take the OST version of My Hands, invert it and line it up as best as possible with the audio track from the ending and ride the envelope so it cancels out as much as possible leaving SFX/VA, then add in Kimi Ga Iru Kara over that. However with compression artifacts from encoding as well as actual audio compression from the mixing/dubbing stage messing with that 1:1 cancellation, the results would be barely satisfactory, if presentable at all.

Just switch to JP.

Falk

that puzzling face
Come on, don't pretend there's no difference.

There's a difference even when you completely avoid trailers/etc. for a game vs. when you do. It might not spoil plot elements but plot is hardly the only thing that can be spoiled.

I played FFXIII for the first time in late 2010 and I'd not watched a single trailer prior. Only thing I even knew about the game was that people were saying Lightning looks like Cloud. Had no idea who the playable characters even were.

Xeinok

Neo Member
I don't really believe in spoilers - story/plot/characters are experienced via consumption of their media in a direct viewing. Knowing some sort of emotional pivot moment is just that - knowing some sort of emotionally-charged event. Emotional responses are the bottom value for what makes an interesting story/plot/character for me - it's very easy to have a dog jump out and scare you or kill some character to make you "feel" something but a well-crafted experience is so much more than just one "spoiler" moment. You're still "experiencing" it when you go through it yourself.

I don't really believe in spoilers - story/plot/characters are experienced via consumption of their media in a direct viewing. Knowing some sort of emotional pivot moment is just that - knowing some sort of emotionally-charged event. Emotional responses are the bottom value for what makes an interesting story/plot/character for me - it's very easy to have a dog jump out and scare you or kill some character to make you "feel" something but a well-crafted experience is so much more than just one "spoiler" moment. You're still "experiencing" it when you go through it yourself.

I agree with your idea that even if you're 'spoiled' that you can still have the emotional experience but there are other aspects of the experience that change with over familiarity, like the awe and wonder of getting to a new area or seeing a monstrous birds for the first time. Also when you're expecting something to happen cause you've already seen or heard about it your experience is different

LuuKyK

Just wanted to say that we are halfway through the graphic-design of the XIII-2 OT, and its looking pretty ace I would say, in all my modesty. I love the theme we chose. :D

So keep the hype alive till the 12th and finish up XIII already.

Just wanted to say that we are halfway through the graphic-design of the XIII-2 OT, and its looking pretty ace I would say, in all my modesty. I love the theme we chose. :D

Nooo, someone delay that port, I won't be able to beat XIII until late December >.>

you guys looking for any hi-res stuff?

LuuKyK

you guys looking for any hi-res stuff?

Not really. Its pretty much done, just needs some adjustments here and there. Its taking some time because my photoshop abilities are a bit rusty after such a long time without using it properly, but its fine I guess.

Thanks anyway. :)

Can't wait to see it. Since XIII-2 will have some decent PC options, maybe Yoshi won't have a breakdown. haha

Nooo, someone delay that port, I won't be able to beat XIII until late December >.>

No. Release these ASAP, so they can release the XIII Trilogy Definitive Lightning Edition for XBOX1/PS4/PC quicker.

Levyne

Banned

I hope I can finish Inquisition by then.

Twist and/or unexpected moments in a narrative to me are like the cherry on the cake. Sure the cake is more important but I'd still really, really prefer you don't nip that cherry from me.

Xeinok

Neo Member
Twist and/or unexpected moments in a narrative to me are like the cherry on the cake. Sure the cake is more important but I'd still really, really prefer you don't nip that cherry from me.

Haha, yeah this way I can agree with. I just hate seeing people go "UGH no cherry?? *throws entire cake away*".

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And that's the end of the trip, I take it... Dragmire666, that was an awesome selection of screenshots!

Top Bottom