• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Screen is better. cooling looks ok. keyboard and trackpad are shit. has some wifi problems

Ehh, I think I'll get the Y50 then, then change the screen, and the HDD for a SDD.

Maintenance or upgrading the ram in the Aspire Nitro V15 seems very difficult.

Quixzlizx

Ehh, I think I'll get the Y50 then, then change the screen, and the HDD for a SDD.

Maintenance or upgrading the ram in the Aspire Nitro V15 seems very difficult.

You could always get the $1100 V15 that comes with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. My finger is hovering over the button... I'm just feeling a little salty about paying for an 860M when the 960M will probably be out in a few months, but I'm currently stuck on a Chromebook after my gaming laptop died, so I really just need to pull the trigger.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Notebookcheck has worse things to say about the Y50's keyboard and about equal issue with both touchpads.

Neither machine is perfect.

shockdude

Y50's keyboard is the same as the Y510P's. Typing wise it's totally fine, and for gaming it's very responsive to fast and light taps. The red backlight is cool and useful.
However, if your hands are any larger than average size, you might have issues hitting the smaller Backspace and Enter keys. I have a smaller hand with long fingers and I haven't had issues with it.

Touchpad is apparently hit or miss. My Y510P touchpad is functional, but don't use it for gaming.

Quixzlizx

For those extended warranties they sell on Newegg, are those years tacked on to the end of the manufacturer warranty, or do they run concurrently? $120 might be worth it to go from a 1 year to a 3 year warranty, but not as much to go from 1 to 2.

so I know this is kind of an ongoing topic in this thread, but is there really anything better performance wise with the $1100 Acer V15 than this $950 Y50? Aside from the 256 GB SSD, would there be any reason for me to spend more money on the Acer?

I'm also a bit salty that I'm buying a laptop now, but I gotta strike while the iron is hot on these deals haha

edit: also, the Y50 I linked seems to come with an IPS display. This would save me the trouble of replacing the screen, no? If I'm not mistaken it's usually a different kind of screen that is complained about.

Quixzlizx

so I know this is kind of an ongoing topic in this thread, but is there really anything better performance wise with the $1100 Acer V15 than this $950 Y50? Aside from the 256 GB SSD, would there be any reason for me to spend more money on the Acer?

I'm also a bit salty that I'm buying a laptop now, but I gotta strike while the iron is hot on these deals haha

The screen on the Y50 is universally regarded as terrible, so you'll have to buy a replacement screen and switch it in for the screens of the two to be comparable. And I'm not willing to have a computer without an SSD nowadays, so I would've had to buy one to put in the Y50 anyway.

Edit: Oh, strange, I didn't know there were Y50s that came with IPS displays.

The screen on the Y50 is universally regarded as terrible, so you'll have to buy a replacement screen and switch it in for the screens of the two to be comparable. And I'm not willing to have a computer without an SSD nowadays, so I would've had to buy one to put in the Y50 anyway.

Edit: Oh, strange, I didn't know there were Y50s that came with IPS displays.
excluding the SSD though, are there any other advantages the Acer has?
If the Y50 has a second slot for an additional HDD/SDD, I could buy this SSD and the Y50 and it would still come out cheaper than the Acer.

I'm just wondering if the Acer has any advantages that the Lenovo could never possibly acquire

Fezan

what y50 now comes with good screen is it true?

Also trackpad is the last thing i will look at. its the least important thing for a gaming laptop. Beside Sony i haven't use a single windows laptop trackback which felt good

so after a little more research I found a cheaper Acer with less RAM and NO SSD

Acer SSD
Acer no SSD

I could get a 128 - 256 GB SSD and basically get the same laptop as the first link for $100 less. Is 8GB of RAM going to very different from 16GB?

sorry for all the questions :/

Really fascinating thread, especially for someone without any knowledge about this stuff. I've a similar story to others here who have close to zero experience with gaming on PCs -- I need a laptop that'll be good for graphic design and video editing (talking about the likes of Adobe Premiere and stuff). I'd also love it to be pretty good at playing games. How does the likes of this look:

http://www.dell.com/nz/p/alienware-17/pd?oc=x5102arrnz&model_id=alienware-17

This is about as much as I'm willing to spend. From what I can tell on NotebookCheck the graphics card seems to be pretty good, but in reality I know nothing about anything.

This would be my only PC for about the next five years... is this likely to do right by me? How long can I expect the battery to last on this thing (on a charge I mean; 5 hours at least I'd hope), and how loud is it liable to be?

I hope those aren't naive-ass questions. I really have no experience in this so any help is appreciated!

Glad that the last few pages have compared the Y50 to the Acer V Nitro...that is pretty much the decision I am at. The screen issues with the Y50 are pushing me heavily towards the Acer, and I really like the design of the laptop and the fact that it avoids the gaming laptop pitfalls.

EDIT: Seeing the Gigabyte pop in and out of stock...that 870M is extremely tempting.

Is the difference between the Gigabyte and the Acer Nitro worth the $100? Any build quality or screen concerns? Just wish it weren't yellow...

Fjordson

Glad that the last few pages have compared the Y50 to the Acer V Nitro...that is pretty much the decision I am at. The screen issues with the Y50 are pushing me heavily towards the Acer, and I really like the design of the laptop and the fact that it avoids the gaming laptop pitfalls.

EDIT: Seeing the Gigabyte pop in and out of stock...that 870M is extremely tempting.

Is the difference between the Gigabyte and the Acer Nitro worth the $100? Any build quality or screen concerns? Just wish it weren't yellow...
Super tempted to buy that Gigabyte one. Just looking for something solid for WoW, Counter-Strike, etc. Don't mind the yellow color either.

Oh man, decisions decisions...

Quixzlizx

You're going to have to put an SSD into the Gigabyte. Which still makes it a good value, but I also didn't buy it because there doesn't seem to be any reviews of it online, which made me nervous.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Acer V15 Nitro yesterday after agonizing over it all day, lol. I just liked that it had all the components I wanted without me having to do any DIY stuff after getting it. I wish it had a 4GB video card, but I don't really play AAA games at max settings for the most part.

Really fascinating thread, especially for someone without any knowledge about this stuff. I've a similar story to others here who have close to zero experience with gaming on PCs -- I need a laptop that'll be good for graphic design and video editing (talking about the likes of Adobe Premiere and stuff). I'd also love it to be pretty good at playing games. How does the likes of this look:

This is about as much as I'm willing to spend. From what I can tell on NotebookCheck the graphics card seems to be pretty good, but in reality I know nothing about anything.

This would be my only PC for about the next five years... is this likely to do right by me? How long can I expect the battery to last on this thing (on a charge I mean; 5 hours at least I'd hope), and how loud is it liable to be?

I hope those aren't naive-ass questions. I really have no experience in this so any help is appreciated!
Which card? There are two variants in that link.

Anyway, with that kind of money, go for an Asus g751 with a 980m. Far better graphics card for a lower price.

It will last you 4-5 years at least.

About the battery, if you use it for gaming or video editing, dont expect the battery to last for more than 1 hour. It is the only drawback with these powerful laptops.

Ended up biting on the Aspire Nitro. I know the 870M on the Gigabyte is a substantial boost, and the 2 year warranty was also enticing...but the garish yellow and the lack of user information about the laptop put me off. The Aspire just seems like a much better built laptop, I greatly prefer the aesthetic, the screen has excellent reviews, and the price was great. Can't wait for it to arrive.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233060

Bought the 870m Gigabyte today. Was thinking about the Nitro but the reviews on the screen quality and the wifi really turned me off and yeah I'd rather have the 870.

Was wondering though if anyone had any recommendations for a laptop sleeve or case that actually fits this? Its a little hefty but more importantly its quite thick. I can already tell that almost no laptop sleeve designed for a 15 inch is going to fit this.

I have an old Targus XL backpack that can fit a 17 inch laptop and a ton of other stuff inside of it, its like a magical box really in terms of how much it can hold but its falling apart a little bit (its 5+ years old) and I don't trust the laptop compartment to be able to absorb a shock at this point so I want a little more protection if possible. I guess I can just rebuy the same bag but I'd rather not spend $60 on it again - although it really is the best backpack I've ever owned.

kjack: im trying to get something like the acer nitro black 15 for my sister. but she doesnt want to game. got anything similar without the discrete gpu?

Ended up biting on the Aspire Nitro. I know the 870M on the Gigabyte is a substantial boost, and the 2 year warranty was also enticing...but the garish yellow and the lack of user information about the laptop put me off. The Aspire just seems like a much better built laptop, I greatly prefer the aesthetic, the screen has excellent reviews, and the price was great. Can't wait for it to arrive.

You're going to have to put an SSD into the Gigabyte. Which still makes it a good value, but I also didn't buy it because there doesn't seem to be any reviews of it online, which made me nervous.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Acer V15 Nitro yesterday after agonizing over it all day, lol. I just liked that it had all the components I wanted without me having to do any DIY stuff after getting it. I wish it had a 4GB video card, but I don't really play AAA games at max settings for the most part.

Which version did you guys end up going with?

dani_dc

So I was trying to help a friend that has a fairly limited budget to get a laptop, I hope it's ok to post here.

Maximum Budget: $350-$500
Max Size: 14-17
Planned Usage: Games (possible within budget anyway), music editing, general usage.
Brands: Not an Acer

We're currently looking at the HP 350 G1 ($399.99) and this Lenovo Z50($479.99).

Any suggestions?

Thanks lordfuzzybutt! Much obliged.

One other question: how important is RAM for the GPU?

As an example, looking at the GTX 970M 3GB vs. R9 M290X 4GB.

Lower RAM on the 970M, but when I look at comparisons online it seems that the 970M comes out on top -- though, as a caveat, I can't tell whether the comparisons are referencing the 970M with 3GB or with 6GB (the ASUS laptop in question has it with 3GB).

Which version did you guys end up going with?

Got the $900. Could always add an SSD/more RAM later.

Those wi-fi issues also made me a bit worried...but overall the negatives of the Gigabytes seemed harder to resolve on my own. It was a real toss-up for me. Also the screen on the Gigabyte is supposed to be a TN while the Nitro has an IPS.

The 860M vs 870M is the only part that really stings, but apparently the 860M is very overclock friendly and I also bought a laptop cooler, I'll see if there's any leeway for me to fiddle with the clocks some. Some people have managed to overclock their 860Ms past 870M stock levels. I doubt I can get there, but I may get close.

goldenpp72

I have a few quick noob questions, i'm building a laptop using XoticPC and I mostly have the specs down, but I always get a bit uncertain if paying more for the wifi/sound card/etc sort of thing is just money down the toilet or if it actually matters?

Here are examples of things i'm not sure I should bother with.

For the screen:

17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Anti-Glare Ultra Bright Screen (1920x1080) (default)
17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen w/ 72% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080) ( + 149 )
17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen w/ 90% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080) ( + 149 )

For the Wireless

Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-N 1202 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth 4.0 | Up to 300Mbps (2x2) - Default (SKU - WIFI14)
Intel® Dual Band Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth 4.0 + vHS Combo Card | Up to 300Mbps (2x2) (SKU - WIFI02) ( + 9 )
Intel® Dual Band Advanced-N 6205 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module | Up to 300Mbps (2x2) [NO BLUETOOTH] (SKU - WIFI03) ( + 14 )
Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 / WiDi | Up to 300/867Mbps (2x2) (SKU - WIFI04) ( + 15 )
Intel® Dual Band Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module | Up to 450Mbps (3x3) [NO BLUETOOTH] (SKU - WIFI05) ( + 28 )
Intel® Dual Band Ultimate-N 6300 (w/ 3rd Antenna) - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module | Up to 450Mbps (3x3) [NO BLUETOOTH] (SKU - WIFI08) ( + 48 )

For the sound card:

Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included (default)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro USB Sound Card powered by THX TruStudio ( + 40 )
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro THX 24-bit External USB Sound Card ( + 99 )
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD 24-bit 96KHz USB Sound Card ( + 119 )

Also, having not bought my own laptop since 2008, is there a really big reason to pay for SSD or is sticking to a normal HDD a logical option? Right now my configuration is at about 1300, so I figured I should inquire here so I don't make a rookie mistake. Speakers and sound quality have always been an issue with every laptop I've gone for, i'm hoping this will not be a problem now. The laptop i'm configuring is a MSI GT70 Dominator-895, so if anyone thinks a different model would be smarter for me i'd really appreciate advisement. I do a lot of heavy use on my computer with some gaming, so something that will last me many years is the goal.

Quixzlizx

I think you'll regret not having an SSD in there. Not having an SSD is probably the biggest bottleneck for general Windows performance.

goldenpp72

I think you'll regret not having an SSD in there. Not having an SSD is probably the biggest bottleneck for general Windows performance.

Well, what size SSD would be benefiting to that cause, and how would I configure it so that the primary function of the SSD is to handle windows and not other stuff?

Quixzlizx

Well, what size SSD would be benefiting to that cause, and how would I configure it so that the primary function of the SSD is to handle windows and not other stuff?

You'd have the SSD configured as your primary hard drive on XoticPC. If you also want to install games that might benefit from shorter load times to the drive, you'll probably want at least 250 GB. If you know you'll just want Windows and non-gaming software on there, a 120 GB drive will be enough. For reference, a full install of Win 8.1 usually takes up 30-35 GB, I believe.

K.Jack

what y50 now comes with good screen is it true?

Also trackpad is the last thing i will look at. its the least important thing for a gaming laptop. Beside Sony i haven't use a single windows laptop trackback which felt good

No I've heard nothing of it coming with a better screen.

so after a little more research I found a cheaper Acer with less RAM and NO SSD

Acer SSD
Acer no SSD

I could get a 128 - 256 GB SSD and basically get the same laptop as the first link for $100 less. Is 8GB of RAM going to very different from 16GB?

sorry for all the questions :/

8GB RAM is not worth $100. No game uses that much anyway.

No. Hell no.

For that price, you could buy the GT72, which comes with the new GTX 980M, 512GBs of SSD and an IPS display.

kjack: im trying to get something like the acer nitro black 15 for my sister. but she doesnt want to game. got anything similar without the discrete gpu?

Same price, or something much cheaper?

So I was trying to help a friend that has a fairly limited budget to get a laptop, I hope it's ok to post here.

Maximum Budget: $350-$500
Max Size: 14-17
Planned Usage: Games (possible within budget anyway), music editing, general usage.
Brands: Not an Acer

We're currently looking at the HP 350 G1 ($399.99) and this Lenovo Z50($479.99).

Any suggestions?

Z50

Lower RAM on the 970M, but when I look at comparisons online it seems that the 970M comes out on top -- though, as a caveat, I can't tell whether the comparisons are referencing the 970M with 3GB or with 6GB (the ASUS laptop in question has it with 3GB).

Look at my quote above. You don't spend 3k for an M290x. Go GT72 with 980M 6GB, if you're spending that much.

I have a few quick noob questions, i'm building a laptop using XoticPC and I mostly have the specs down, but I always get a bit uncertain if paying more for the wifi/sound card/etc sort of thing is just money down the toilet or if it actually matters?

Here are examples of things i'm not sure I should bother with.
Also, having not bought my own laptop since 2008, is there a really big reason to pay for SSD or is sticking to a normal HDD a logical option? Right now my configuration is at about 1300, so I figured I should inquire here so I don't make a rookie mistake. Speakers and sound quality have always been an issue with every laptop I've gone for, i'm hoping this will not be a problem now. The laptop i'm configuring is a MSI GT70 Dominator-895, so if anyone thinks a different model would be smarter for me i'd really appreciate advisement. I do a lot of heavy use on my computer with some gaming, so something that will last me many years is the goal.

Always take an SSD. Upgrade the screen when you have money left over. The GT70 already comes with a pretty decent screen.

Ignore the external sound cards.

Been selling laptops this season. Wish I had a mini K.Jack in my head to inform me about everything.

Nah, you don't want a me in your head. Neither do I, but them's the breaks.

Fjordson

Gigabyte deal is still active. Still very tempted.

so i was all set on this acer nitro, but then a recommendation on reddit came straight out of left field for this Asus Zenbook, which seems really nice to me. I don't generally play AAA games since I most of the games I buy are from the Steam Sales which usually encompass last gen games for now, and I'll have a PS4 mid next year when all the games I want are coming out.

Ugh I wish I hadn't seen that :/

Does anyone know how long the deal on the Nitro is going to last?

edit: now I'm just thinking i should wait for a 960m announcement :/

No. Hell no.

For that price, you could buy the GT72, which comes with the new GTX 980M, 512GBs of SSD and an IPS display.

Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it. Thanks also for the link to Xotic PC (which I had not heard of) -- seems like they ship out here, and buying through them could save me $1000 or so; even as much as $2000 (fingers crossed that everything goes okay, of course).

goldenpp72

Thanks for the response K.Jack. So looking at my final configuration, this is about where I would end up..

Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4800MQ (2.7GHz - 3.7GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 870M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
16GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-818EP] (Dual Channel Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS))
128GB Solid State mSATA
1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s)
6x Blu-Ray Burner + 8x DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive

Trinkets

32GB Drive Pen (Free)
Full Size Notebook Cooler for 17 inch Laptops (35 dollars) (worth it?)
MSI Interceptor DS100 Gaming Mouse (Free, would sell I guess)

Cost would be around 1500. Is that a sound price? I think I should add that in general, 90 percent of my usage for this computer is listening to music, browsing or watching movies with my gaming habits being mostly minor (think running sonic generations or something), so i'm wondering if this setup is a bit overkill. It's just the earliest model I saw that mentions having good speakers and such. Are there other benefits to having a beefy GPU outside of gaming? I'm more so looking for an excellent media computer that has a nice screen, great speakers, and won't buckle when I have 30 tabs open in a browser, but also will work under those loads years down the road.

1500 isn't too bad though, just want to make sure i'm not splurging when I don't have to, i'm basically wanting something future proof for normal middle ground gaming usage (so nothing too modern on that front)

The vram is important when you play games at high resolution and/or high texture quality it will reduce stutters because the memory doesn't have to be swapped in and out as much.

Don't go with the M290X, choose one with a 980M or at least 970M.

Mario007

Hi guys, my brother is currently looking for a replacement of his 3 years old gaming laptop. As a student he can't really splash out but obviously with a new generation coming he needs to upgrade it. So after 3 days of looking around I found the Lenovo Z50-75. Here are the specs:

Processor:AMD FX-7500 Processor( 2.10GHz 4MB)
Operating system:Windows 8.1 64
System Graphics:AMD Radeon R7 M260 2GB
Total memory:8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz
Display type:15.6" FHD Glare Wedge with integrated camera 1920x1080

Now I've seen other laptops with i5 or i7 CPU and a GPU at the range of GeForce 850M which seem to be pretty good fit. They are all, however around 770 pounds (900 euro) whereas the above laptop is currently for 560 euro. I've done some digging around and AMD seems to have gotten their shit together with the FX series. The only thing that bothers me is the R7 GPU, but it being an APU architecture I think comparing it directly is not possible? Like I've seen the laptop on youtube play skyrim at max settings or even new games like Watchdogs and Shadow of Mordor at medium settings.

Would it be the ideal solution?

K.Jack

Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it. Thanks also for the link to Xotic PC (which I had not heard of) -- seems like they ship out here, and buying through them could save me $1000 or so; even as much as $2000 (fingers crossed that everything goes okay, of course).

Where is "out here" exactly?

Thanks for the response K.Jack. So looking at my final configuration, this is about where I would end up..

Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4800MQ (2.7GHz - 3.7GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 870M (3.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology
16GB DDR3 1600MHz [SKU-818EP] (Dual Channel Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS))
128GB Solid State mSATA
1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s)
6x Blu-Ray Burner + 8x DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive

Trinkets

32GB Drive Pen (Free)
Full Size Notebook Cooler for 17 inch Laptops (35 dollars) (worth it?)
MSI Interceptor DS100 Gaming Mouse (Free, would sell I guess)

Cost would be around 1500. Is that a sound price? I think I should add that in general, 90 percent of my usage for this computer is listening to music, browsing or watching movies with my gaming habits being mostly minor (think running sonic generations or something), so i'm wondering if this setup is a bit overkill. It's just the earliest model I saw that mentions having good speakers and such. Are there other benefits to having a beefy GPU outside of gaming? I'm more so looking for an excellent media computer that has a nice screen, great speakers, and won't buckle when I have 30 tabs open in a browser, but also will work under those loads years down the road.

1500 isn't too bad though, just want to make sure i'm not splurging when I don't have to, i'm basically wanting something future proof for normal middle ground gaming usage (so nothing too modern on that front)

You don't need the 4800MQ, the 16GB RAM, or the notebook cooler, so cut those to save money.

how much cheaper are we talking about
That's what I'm asking you. I mean, this is a great notebook for a non-gamer type.

Hi guys, my brother is currently looking for a replacement of his 3 years old gaming laptop. As a student he can't really splash out but obviously with a new generation coming he needs to upgrade it. So after 3 days of looking around I found the Lenovo Z50-75. Here are the specs:

Now I've seen other laptops with i5 or i7 CPU and a GPU at the range of GeForce 850M which seem to be pretty good fit. They are all, however around 770 pounds (900 euro) whereas the above laptop is currently for 560 euro. I've done some digging around and AMD seems to have gotten their shit together with the FX series. The only thing that bothers me is the R7 GPU, but it being an APU architecture I think comparing it directly is not possible? Like I've seen the laptop on youtube play skyrim at max settings or even new games like Watchdogs and Shadow of Mordor at medium settings.

Depends on how much GT 840M equipped laptops are going for, so look that up first.

Mario007

You don't need the 4800MQ, the 16GB RAM, or the notebook cooler, so cut those to save money.

That's what I'm asking you. I mean, this is a great notebook for a non-gamer type.

Depends on how much GT 840M equipped laptops are going for, so look that up first.

They're upwards from 700 pounds so there's quite a big difference between the two. Does APU provide any real advantages over the CPU+GPU combo or is that all just AMD marketing speak?

K.Jack

They're upwards from 700 pounds so there's quite a big difference between the two. Does APU provide any real advantages over the CPU+GPU combo or is that all just AMD marketing speak?

Pure marketing.

If 840Ms are that expensive, the Z50 is the way to go.

Nikodemos

I have an odd issue with my new Lenovo laptop. Whenever I start a video clip or a game (before sound starts coming through) I can hear this weird low static in my earphones, like the system is boosting audio output without filtering it (it stops right sfter closing the game/video). My old one (a Lenovo as well, though with Win7) didn't do that. Is this some sort of Win8.1 'feature'? Did I mess up my driver install? Do I need to turn off some setting?

Looking at notebook checker that r7 m260 isn't very good for modern games.

Best thing to do when spec checking is stype the graphics card name into google. The first link is normally a link to notebook checker and the page will have tons of benchmark fps results on it for a wide range if games.

Edit

I got my laptop from pcspecialist.co.UK and I recommend them. I got an optimus v model a year ago with gtx765m. Now they come with the 8xx version which I think is about 26% better.

New Zealand. They say they ship internationally but to contact them for a quote first. Of course it's not certain that they will sell to me, but I've gotten in touch and fingers-crossed it'll work. (I'm assuming they're reliable given your suggestion!)

As an example, a stock ASUS G751JY-T7042H is currently priced at $3685 USD here. The same model is ~$2500 USD in the States. Even if I was to slap $500 on top for shipping out here through something like UPS, I'd still be looking at savings of $600.

Assuming this is all possible, of course. It may very well not be!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
New Zealand. They say they ship internationally but to contact them for a quote first. Of course it's not certain that they will sell to me, but I've gotten in touch and fingers-crossed it'll work. (I'm assuming they're reliable given your suggestion!)

As an example, a stock ASUS G751JY-T7042H is currently priced at $3685 USD here. The same model is ~$2500 USD in the States. Even if I was to slap $500 on top for shipping out here through something like UPS, I'd still be looking at savings of $600.

Assuming this is all possible, of course. It may very well not be!
Be careful of customs and import duties (not sure how much they are in NZ).

Be careful of customs and import duties (not sure how much they are in NZ).

Thanks for pointing that out -- I'd already looked into that and (as far as I can tell) there are no duties on electronics so long as they're for personal use. Will give the Customs office a call on Monday though to be sure.

Top Bottom