• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I sold my two 770's on amazon (sold way faster than I expected, within 8 hours of each being posted). However it left me in the precarious position of not having a GPU. I had a gift card at bestbuy from some trade in items and they price match newegg and Amazon, so I thought I'd look around. That's when I saw something that neither Newegg nor Amazon carries, something frankly, I didn't know existed, the 970 reference style cooler model. I had to have it. I ended up paying an extra 20 dollars or so, plus I didn't receive a free game. But does it look great.
15898750422_6175b4c61f_o.jpg

I was initially worried by the comparatively low clock speeds 1050 base with low 1100 boost, but it easily over clocked to a nice 1.5ghz on the core without any trouble. The best part? It barely hits over 65c even while I played unity for an extended time which took my 770's into the upper 70's with no overclocking. Needless to say I'm really impressed by the 970.

Afro

Nice. Take some pics once it's set up and glowing. Sorry the dual 770's didn't work out. Got myself a 970 too after selling Xbone.

Anyway, I was looking at a receipt for my XPS 8500 and saw this:

XWk01zy.png

What does this even mean? I can overlock my i7 3770 non-K?

Salaadin

Man. Bumping my 4770k to 4.2 raises my temps so much. Hitting 90c under load.
Maybe I need to reapply tp? If that doesn't work, is liquid cooling or delidding my only other options?

Was looking at cpu coolers. Any thoughts on the h100i?

I have the cooler master seidon 240m (pretty much identical) I run a 4670k @ 4.6GHz and it never goes above 50c or so under even the heaviest of strain. It's fantastic. I think the seidon is on sale for 10 bucks cheaper than that too.

faint.

Nice. Take some pics once it's set up and glowing. Sorry the dual 770's didn't work out. Got myself a 970 too after selling Xbone.

XWk01zy.png

No. Certain Intel CPU's have Turbo boost, meaning under load it will clock itself up to 3.9. At idle it will sit at 2.

But the "base" clock of the chip is 3.5.

XWk01zy.png

Means it has adaptive voltage and will "overclock itself" up to 3.9GHz when needed. (Gaming, editing etc)

Will do.

I was incredibly impressed by the performance and your MSI card worked like a charm, but there were just a few issues that bugged me with the games I was trying to play. SLI still just isn't there yet for me. I think I may just be a single card kind of guy for a while. Next card I may be lookin at is the 980ti whenever that comes around, hopefully at that point there's a nice Gsync monitor out too.

ok, it's the final showdown:

i decided to go with one of these :

VG248QE , acer GN246HL Bbid or xl2411z -(or xl2720z for the luxury of displayports)

when suddenly i came across this monster !!!

iiyama ProLite GB2488HSU-B1

to be honest i dont know the brand, it might be well known in Europe more than any other place , but the specs are truly the best of VG248QE and xl2720z combined with the same range of price, i believe it's lack of 3D but i don't care.

so, before paying for it, hope i hear something bout the brand just to feel better !

XWk01zy.png

The boost tech allows your CPU to automatically increase its clock speed to the max 3.9Ghz depending on temps, power consumption and number of cores under load. You don't need to do anything for it to happen. I believe a i7 3770 can be slightly overclocked but it requires increasing the base clock instead of the multiplier so its overclock potential is pretty bad. The Dell MB and Bios probably won't have OC options anyway.

Salaadin

What's the voltage at?
Stock.

I bumped it to 4.2GHz and was testing it with prime95 when, about 10 minutes in, temps shot to 92C then dropped to mid 80s and hung there for a bit, sporadically shooting up to the lower 90s.

Without the OC, temps are mid 50s, lower 60s under load

Addnan

Stock.

I bumped it to 4.2GHz and was testing it with prime95 when, about 10 minutes in, temps shot to 92C then dropped to mid 80s and hung there for a bit, sporadically shooting up to the lower 90s.

What is it showing in CPUZ? Stock voltage can go sky high when left to their own thing.

Smash88

Banned
Stock.

I have a 4770k OCed to 4.2GHz. My cooler is an H100i.

Using Prime95 or any other synthetic benchmark really does not matter as your CPU will never reach those temps, ever even if you are rendering multiple videos.

Dug this up: http://i.imgur.com/RsIKPNb.jpg (June 2013)

As you can see even with my 4.1GHz I was getting some gnarly temps. It's just the way the 4770k is, Intel really disappointed me in their TIM usage. Only way is to delid and reapply with new TIM.

Currently it's at 4.2GHz and it never goes over 60-65C.

Here is one I took just now: http://i.imgur.com/e5L9aHN.png (Nov 28 2014)

I lost my lottery on the chip. Anything over 4.2 is unstable and not viable. But at least I know now how Intel does things, so in the future I'm going with an enthusiast grade CPU, but that's in 3 years or so. Right now my computer smashes pretty much everything at 1440p.

Boss Man

Swapped my old GPU for this MSI Gold edition and damn I'm enjoying this. Got some light overclocking going on and scoring ~10550 on Firestrike. Very happy with the PC, now it's time to work on getting a comfortable chair and wireless headset.

paskowitz

Swapped my old GPU for this MSI Gold edition and damn I'm enjoying this. Got some light overclocking going on and scoring ~10550 on Firestrike. Very happy with the PC, now it's time to work on getting a comfortable chair and wireless headset.

I had my doubt's about that GPU but I must say it looks great in its proper environment.

Kezen

Banned

That's magnificent. I really wanted the MSI 970 but only the ASUS Strix was in stock. :/

Fuck, I just did a BIOS update and now my computer (and the freshly reinstalled Nvidia drivers) aren't detecting my SLI setup. There's no option to enable by second graphics card.

Any thoughts anyone?

LilJoka

Fuck, I just did a BIOS update and now my computer (and the freshly reinstalled Nvidia drivers) aren't detecting my SLI setup. There's no option to enable by second graphics card.

Any thoughts anyone?

Probably best to remove nvidia drivers with display driver uninstaller and then install again.

BIOS update shouldnt of had an effect, but go into BIOS and restore optimized defaults.

Salaadin

What is it showing in CPUZ? Stock voltage can go sky high when left to their own thing.

This is what Im getting:
http://i.imgur.com/QvICcSL.png

I have a 4770k OCed to 4.2GHz. My cooler is an H100i.

Using Prime95 or any other synthetic benchmark really does not matter as your CPU will never reach those temps, ever even if you are rendering multiple videos.

Dug this up: http://i.imgur.com/RsIKPNb.jpg (June 2013)

As you can see even with my 4.1GHz I was getting some gnarly temps. It's just the way the 4770k is, Intel really disappointed me in their TIM usage. Only way is to delid and reapply with new TIM.

Currently it's at 4.2GHz and it never goes over 60-65C.

Here is one I took just now: http://i.imgur.com/e5L9aHN.png (Nov 28 2014)

I lost my lottery on the chip. Anything over 4.2 is unstable and not viable. But at least I know now how Intel does things, so in the future I'm going with an enthusiast grade CPU, but that's in 3 years or so. Right now my computer smashes pretty much everything at 1440p.

The more Im reading, the more I feel like this is the case. Im not doing any heavy work with my CPU. Just gaming really with the occasional video to render. Nothing crazy.

LilJoka

This is what Im getting:
http://i.imgur.com/QvICcSL.png

The more Im reading, the more I feel like this is the case. Im not doing any heavy work with my CPU. Just gaming really with the occasional video to render. Nothing crazy.

0.9v 4.2Ghz 100% load 90c, that doesnt make sense. Vcore is really 0.9v? Should be about 1.1-1.2v for that speed, and then it explains the temperatures.

Prime95 28.7 uses AVX2 tests which really heat the CPU up, the adaptive voltage option gives the CPU more voltage than normal under these loads. You might be better off using Aida64 stress test or RealBench.

Probably best to remove nvidia drivers with display driver uninstaller and then install again.

BIOS update shouldnt of had an effect, but go into BIOS and restore optimized defaults.

Weird, I just restarted and my machine suddenly decided to recognise them. However, it's also somehow manage to roll back my Nvidia drivers to a previous version.

Today has not been a great day in PC land :|

One-Shot

Banned
I have the cooler master seidon 240m (pretty much identical) I run a 4670k @ 4.6GHz and it never goes above 50c or so under even the heaviest of strain. It's fantastic. I think the seidon is on sale for 10 bucks cheaper than that too.

Sounds good. I picked up the H100i since it was on sale at microcenter. Hopefully i'll get similar results to yours!

NoRéN

I wish i had the patience to do some proper cable management like that.

Boss Man

NoRéN;140774692 said:
I wish i had the patience to do some proper cable management like that.
This is my first time building a PC and it mostly just came down to the case being really good (Fractal R4). Those colored cables are just extensions that I got off of Amazon for like $5 a piece. Silverstone is the brand.

Salaadin

That looks weird, not sure why it is reporting 0.9. That wouldn't be enough to boot at 4.2. Can you just go to the bios and manually set it to 1.2 and see what it does then.

0.9v 4.2Ghz 100% load 90c, that doesnt make sense. Vcore is really 0.9v? Should be about 1.1-1.2v for that speed, and then it explains the temperatures.

Prime95 28.7 uses AVX2 tests which really heat the CPU up, the adaptive voltage option gives the CPU more voltage than normal under these loads. You might be better off using Aida64 stress test or RealBench.

I updated CPU-Z and manually set the voltage to 1.2 in the BIOS.
CPU-Z is reporting the correct voltage now and the CPU is running a few degrees hotter. In any case, its not stable like this as its already shooting back errors 10 minutes in.

Boss Man

^Nice cables. Remove that HDD cage in the middle if you're not using it.
I probably will eventually. The individual cages are removed, I just like the block because it hides some of the cables and makes the case look a bit better (it is windowed). The highest I've seen my temps get in a benchmark is 62 degrees so I'm not too worried about it for now.

NoRéN

This is my first time building a PC and it mostly just came down to the case being really good (Fractal R4). Those colored cables are just extensions that I got off of Amazon for like $5 a piece. Silverstone is the brand.

I keep wanting to upgrade to the R4 just for the cable management space. I may try to improve the cable management once my 970 arrives next week.

One-Shot

Banned
Damn. I guess I waited too long. Newegg is out of stock on the Samsung evo 840 256gig SSD. :(

If you're able, just go up to the 500GB for $189. That's what I did since I figure this is something I will have for years and might as well get double the capacity for less than $100.

Just makes more sense in the long run.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
Just finished buying up my components for my SFF mini-ITX build. After a month of stalking Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect, Directron, SuperBiiz, and all the others, my total savings were around 18%. For the effort, 18% doesn't feel like much, but hey, still money in my pocket.

I guess the lesson here is after being conditioned to Steam sales of ridiculous proportions, don't expect anywhere near the same for PC components, especially if you're going Intel.

Hella deals on SSDs this year though.

Still a Junior after like 4 years...I should post more =\

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Hey guys, I see that Newegg has some pretty good deals going on right now.

I just have a few general questions:

1. Would it be worth waiting until Cyber Monday to buy most of the parts for my PC, or do you think today is going to have great deals as well?

2. Using PCPartPicker, should I go for the cheapest price and location for the items, or are there certain retailers that I should avoid? Is it more convenient and safe to just buy from the big ones? Such as Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, etc.?

Thanks!

Momentary

Banned
ROG Swift is sold out everywhere and or overpriced as hell. I see that there is an Acer 60hz 4k GSYNC Monitor for the same price. Would it be stupid of me to go with the acer now?

garath

If you're able, just go up to the 500GB for $189. That's what I did since I figure this is something I will have for years and might as well get double the capacity for less than $100.

Just makes more sense in the long run.

That's true but I'm really trying to be responsible and keep the budget to around $80 :) I really want the 512 in general though. Maybe I'll just hold off totally until funds are better. Not really seeing huge deals on the brands I want. Just small deals.

edit: Oh damn. Amazon has the same 240gig deal with Farcry 4. hmmmmmmmmm

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member

1. Would it be worth waiting until Cyber Monday to buy most of the parts for my PC, or do you think today is going to have great deals as well?

2. Using PCPartPicker, should I go for the cheapest price and location for the items, or are there certain retailers that I should avoid? Is it more convenient and safe to just buy from the big ones? Such as Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, etc.?

Thanks!

I've heard Cyber Monday deals can be lack luster compared to Black Friday, which is why I didn't wait. If there's a good deal on something now, I'd pick it up.

It doesn't really matter where you buy from from PC Part Picker merchant list. They're all reputable. Amazon and Newegg generally have free shipping on nearly everything. (Standard 4-5 day) Tigerdirect is also a decent choice. Mwave, Directron, and SuperBiiz seemed to have okay prices, though generally not as competitive as Newegg/Amazon, as well as they generally charge for shipping.

galvenize

Bought myself a new PC with black friday being a thing in France now.

1260E/1568$ for an Intel Core i7 4790K, GTX 970(asus), 2Tb and SSD 250 Go, 16 Go DDR3, No OS.

until tomorrow 9am: 7% off any items bought on materiel.net (for the frenchies).

Parablank

Hi I've been looking at 2560x1440 monitors for a while now and I'm wondering if anybody could recommend one for me in the $300 area (preferably overclockable)

Thanks!

RGM79

I need to buy an entry-level gaming PC for a twelve year old, and price is a huge factor here. I'm thinking $500 tops.

He currently 'games' on a $200 laptop my folks bought him about two years ago. He punishes himself, playing games like Borderlands 2, windowed, lowest possible settings and getting <10 FPS.

Certainly anything would be better than this, but I can't go overboard either. I'm thinking an AMD processor (I've never understood the hate... they've always been a bit underperforming compared to the Intel chips, but for the price, they're pretty good), with an entry level graphics card and 8gigs of RAM, and a standard HDD.

I would build this myself based on the 'budget' build in the OP, but I don't really have the time over the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any familiarity with Cyberpower PCs? I was thinking something like this, but I'm open to other suggestions for pre-built PCs if anyone can help.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229618

I wouldn't buy that. Here's a build that will be much better than that prebuilt computer. For $477, it's possible to get a much better video card, a less gaudy case, the same processor, and a quality brand name power supply. A Windows 8.1 key can be had for $20 from Reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap.

Was looking at cpu coolers. Any thoughts on the h100i?

It's $76 after a $20 mail in rebate which is not bad. According to price tracking stats, that's the lowest it's been.

Anyone have any idea about the differences between these cards?

Sapphire r9 280 100373L

Sapphire r9 280 100373-2L

One is 25 bucks cheaper and the only difference I can see is the 2 in the model number meaning some sort of revision I'd guess.

I'd just go with the cheaper one. It also has game bundles attached to it. Sometimes retailers list the same GPU under multiple SKUs for different stock tracking purposes.

Hey guys,

Tempted to pull the trigger on this build. I already have a Video Card + PSU + CD/DVD drive.

Any thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($102.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg) (I get $13.00 off in a combo with the i7)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg) (Comes with Farcry 4 for free)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $764.92

The only things I have to recommend are that the Hyper 212 could be replaced with the newer Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo which is cheaper at $27, and that you can get higher speed 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1866 RAM for almost the same price and $13 bundle discount.

As for the motherboard, I'd go with the Gigabyte. All things considered, there's not too much of a difference, although I think the Gigabyte model has a better audio chipset (ALC1150 compared to the Asus' ALC892).

RGM79

Sorry for double posting, I wanted to space this out so it's not all in the same post.

I know pre-builts are more expensive, but I was thinking about getting some thing like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229496

and replacing that R7 240 with a 750 ti (would still get by on that 350W PSU) for a total of $730 for everything. Bad move?

Not a good idea. Instead of buying something to upgrade it, you can get a better deal by building it yourself. Here's a build that fits your $730 budget. Much better RAM, power supply, larger hard drive, and the R9 290 video card absolutely destroys the GTX 750 Ti and the R7 240 in the prebuilt.

Hey, I have this power supply: http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/EA500D_flyer_EN.pdf

and I'm planning to get a R9 280, will this PSU be able to handle it?

Because the R9 280 is a rebadge of the older 7950 card, it uses up to 300 watts at maximum load. The 500 watt power supply might barely be able to handle it. I'd recommend a new power supply to be safe. You can get a quality Antec 620 watt power supply for $40 after a $20 mail in rebate.

Thanks!

1. I'd just buy the parts if they're available at a good price. You may end up waiting too long and parts go out of stock.

2. PCPartPicker tends to list trustworthy retailers. Depends on the retailers in question, but I wouldn't worry about the part and product quality if it's new and sealed (of course, they SHOULD be new and sealed). If you're buying several things at once, it might not be a bad idea to consolidate purchases at a retailer or two to keep shipments together and shipping fees low. Some places will do discounted shipping if your purchase is more than a set limit.

One-Shot

Banned
That's true but I'm really trying to be responsible and keep the budget to around $80 :) I really want the 512 in general though. Maybe I'll just hold off totally until funds are better. Not really seeing huge deals on the brands I want. Just small deals.

edit: Oh damn. Amazon has the same 240gig deal with Farcry 4. hmmmmmmmmm
I think you get the same with the the 500 but yeah that does make a difference to the reasoning side of your brain lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom