• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doctor Who 2008 Christmas Special, 2009 Specials and Season 5 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the Doctor Who executives want and what I want are very different things... You don't go from Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant to this, it's the first time I've actually seriously considered not following the show.

It looks like he's got no eyebrows, do you notice that?

Dabanton

:lol What an odd choice.

They copped out they have the youth auidence locked in now and didn't want to lose all the merchadising money that comes with that by casting an even older actor.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dabanton said:
:lol What an odd choice.

They copped out they have the youth auidence locked in now and didn't want to lose all the merchadising money that comes with that by casting an even older actor.

Tennant looks alot younger than he is though.

Napoleonthechimp said:
What the Doctor Who executives want and what I want are very different things... You don't go from Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant to this, it's the first time I've actually seriously considered not following the show.

I won't go that far and Moffat alone is enough for me to give it a damn fair chance although it does seem like they increasingly are going for a certain type of marketability when they select a new doctor now.

His age and his looks have me fearing they will play to his looks and go with another love story with his companion or have people swooning over him which I'm not down with at all though.

Keyser Soze said:
41a_06_matt_243x334.jpg
What a douche!

Eh.
Can't really judge him. He's different looking, which is good, since i didn't want some pretty boy. All i can hope is that he is a great actor.

I'm disappointed they didn't go with someone older, but it'll come down to the writing in the end and i have faith in Moffat.

I'll probably check out this Party Animals show out of curiosity.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I suppose the real up side of this is the ludicrously hot young assistant they'll have to cast.

SupahBlah

Banned
Not who I thought it would be (Patterson) but I don't mind (Moffat we trust)

Just depends how they write him, I wouldn't be surprised if he acts like Tennant.

hadareud

The Translator
Ghost said:
I suppose the real up side of this is the ludicrously hot young assistant they'll have to cast.
it's gonna be an 80 year old to have some contrast. A Miss Marple type.

miss-marple.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I am the same age as the Doctor.

P.S. After all the black guy talk I'm a little disappointed they went with just an even younger Doctor.

In Moffat we trust, though.

Edit: I am a month older than Matt Smith, which also happens to be the name of my first college room mate.

Spotless Mind said:
Eh. [/I]Can't really judge him. He's different looking, which is good, since i didn't want some pretty boy. All i can hope is that he is a great actor.

Sometimes its hard to judge across cultures but as an American he looks like a pretty boy to me.

I felt the same about Tennant who was able to change my view on him so this guy will have to do the same.

mjc

I'm not knocking the guy for looks, the Doctor was never meant to be very attractive though right? I guess you could say that Tennant is attractive.

Edit: Looking at that pic with short hair on him he looks much better. Get rid of that droopy long hair nonsense.

I might feel better if I saw him in his Doctor Who outfit, but seeing as how that's not going to happen until 2010 I think I'm going to be in a bad mood until then.

Zenith

Banned
2 issues I have with Smith. One is his age. the Doctors always have a paternalistic streak in them which shows in their relationships with their companions, and it's also hard to be intimidating if you just look like a petulant teenager.

second is his voice. Eccleston and Tennant both had good, distinctive voices. Smith just sounds like an average TV "young one" from any number of shows like Hollyoaks, the Inbetweeners, the Thick of It, etc.

however, as the staff seemed to be so sure he had "the look" we'll see how he turns out.

womp

I'd of preferred older...Especially after Tennant. 40's or 50's would have been nice. I like the older, wizened looking Doctor Who over the 'younger brainiac' look myself.

Probably why I prefer Pertwee and Baker over Davison.

As has been said already though it is Moffat and the writing which need to be the center point.

I'll reserve judgment until I see him in the part but I really, really wanted someone older. This almost seems like a BBC casting decision more than Moffat's.

Napoleonthechimp said:
I might feel better if I saw him in his Doctor Who outfit, but seeing as how that's not going to happen until 2010 I think I'm going to be in a bad mood until then.

We'll get that information in the next few months though as I believe they start filming in the Spring and they'll want to announce the companion and costume before they start so that it's not released via bad snapshots taken on the street.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I dunno though, he seems like a character that would show up in Buffy.

I'm getting a lot of Whedon vibes from this pick.

sp0rsk said:
I dunno though, he seems like a character that would show up in Buffy.

I'm getting a lot of Whedon vibes from this pick.

Actually, I think he looks like a Twilight reject.

Thomper

APZonerunner said:
We'll get that information in the next few months though as I believe they start filming in the Spring and they'll want to announce the companion and costume before they start so that it's not released via bad snapshots taken on the street.
They're apparently starting filming this Summer. Previous series have started filming in July/August, and with the Specials taking up filming time this year it'll probably be around the same time. I'm guessing we'll see an outfit and/or companion by May.

A bit too young but i wonder how he is going to play the doctor....serious or zany?

It probably rules out Steven Moffat bringing back the character River Song next season as she said David Tennant's doctor looked young.

broadwayrock said:
A bit too young but i wonder how he is going to play the doctor....serious or zany?

It probably rules out Steven Moffat bringing back the character River Song next season as she said David Tennant's doctor looked young.

Good point.

I hope he grows eyebrows by the time they start filming.

Ripclawe

Banned
NOT HELPING!

article-0-02F086AD000005DC-390_468x310.jpg

Steve Moffat, who is succeeding Russell T Davies as lead writer on the show, said he had originally been looking for a mature replacement for Tennant.

'One thing I was very emphatic about was I thought there were too many people young on the list,' he revealed. 'I said "I think we're looking for someone in their 40s, or 30s". And of course we ended up casting a 26-year-old.'

And he was complimentary about Smith's potential: 'There is something quite old about him, so he looks old and young at the same time, which is terribly important.'

Not Moffat approved.

Stoney Mason said:
Sometimes its hard to judge across cultures but as an American he looks like a pretty boy to me.

I felt the same about Tennant who was able to change my view on him so this guy will have to do the same.
I dunno. I find him pretty odd and quirky looking. Like in the above shot. :lol

It's good to hear what Moffat wanted, which gives me hope for the direction he'll take the new Doctor, even if he looks relatively young.

Ripclawe said:
NOT HELPING!

article-0-02F086AD000005DC-390_468x310.jpg
:lol

Anybody who puts their hands in that position you know is a bit of an asshole.

EDIT: And so frustrating that Moffat recognized that an older doctor would have been more ideal but they still went so young :(

Zen

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
It's not. Celebrate with me.

Let's throw cannon out fora second: You wouldn't watch Doctor Who written by Moffat simply because the Doctor has a uterus? No matter how well written the scripts or how well executed the female Doctor was.

EDIT: Oh wow, I seriously hope that this new Doctor isn't a Tennant style Doctor. I was hoping for a more mature, grittier Doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom