• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D or 3D Metroid

Toxi

Banned
2D. The last 2D game was in 2004, and I feel the 2D games need more innovation right now than the 3D ones. The GBA Metroids are fine games, but they take so much from Super Metroid and lack the innovation in power-ups that made Super Metroid stand-out. Let's have a new 2D Metroid on a new planet. No more Zebes, no more space stations, just a new planet with new places to explore.

Don't get me wrong, Metroid Prime is my favorite game, but I really feel we need a new 2D Metroid to keep that side of the series strong. A new 3D one can come after that.

Peltz

Whynotboth.gif

Believe it or not, I want a 3D, first person Metroid on 3DS though.

In fact, I want 4 games that I know I wont get:

A 3D Metroid on Wii U
A 3D Metroid on 3DS
A 2D Metroid on Wii U
A 2D Metroid on 3DS

I'll take whatever they make though. But, not doing a prime game on that 3D display would be a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Razzorn34

2D or 2.5D. If it has to be 3D, then go for 3rd person. No more 1st person shooter esc Metroid. Sure, the Prime series was great, but it was a much slower game. Because of it being 1st person, many of the usual movement tools had limited usage also.

2D and 3D Metroid are very different beasts. but if Nintendo told me today that they had a 2D and 3D Metroid game just lying around waiting to release and I got to decide which would, I'd tell em to show me the 2D shit. 3D Metroid is fantastic but 2D Metroid is just gaming bliss yo

I know people hate Other M for many reasons, but in the gameplay aspect, other M has an insanely good gameplay between 2D and 3D, so that I like that way to go

Other M's gameplay was serviceable at best and held the players hand like no other action game ever made thanks to its awful self-imposed control limitations. It's a far cry from being insanely good. Or being good even

Nohar

Beaten by walnuts. In short: why not both?

I loved the Prime series, and I'm fond of the 2D ones. I'll take both.

Toxi

Banned
I wasn't enamored of the Prime games either. I actually strongly prefer Metroid and Metroid II to any subsequent games in the series. Too much hand-holding in the 2D entries thereafter for what I wanted from the series, and the transition to 3D for the series made it feel grittier and more "real" than I look for in games. It has some interesting 3D mechanics but I think it became too complex for me in a 3D space. I like the simplicity of the first two games better.
The first and third Metroid Prime are both pretty easy and simple. You may want to give the first a shot again or skip straight to Corruption (Which has an awesome control scheme with the Wiimote and Nunchuck). The scan visor usually provides the necessary hints for a situation if you're stuck. Their style is a bit more realistic than the 2D games, but there are still tons of beautiful places to explore and strange foes to encounter.

The second is definitely a bit too complex for its own good, so stay away from that unless you're ready for an ordeal.
Sure, the Prime series was great, but it was a much slower game. Because of it being 1st person, many of the usual movement tools had limited usage also.
The original version of the first Prime can be pretty fast once you master scan-dashing.

I prefer Prime to just about any game series I've ever played, and I've been gaming since the 80s. That's the kind of impression it left on me.

So I would prefer 3D. I would prefer Prime 4, but I'll accept the trilogy remastered.

jorgejjvr

Wow I had not read that article!!! That's awesome that they know that they need to satisfy both 2d and 3d metroid. I can see the megaton announcement at e3 2015.

Looks like we might not have to compromise guys, and actually get both. That's pretty awesome

3bdelilah

Banned
Definitely 2D, I really enjoyed them whereas I unfortunately just couldn't get into Prime (1). It just didn't have that delicious pacing I was used to. A 2.5D Metroid on the Wii U, like DKC:TF. would be the best news I could hear at E3. I'd even want Retro to develop that if possible.

But that's just wishful thinking, small chance we'd be getting a console 2(.5)D. Probably Prime 4 on Wii U and Dread on (New)3DS, both releasing 2016 just like Fusion and Prime 1 did in 2002.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely 2D, I really enjoyed them whereas I unfortunately just couldn't get into Prime (1). It just didn't have that delicious pacing I was used to. A 2.5D Metroid on the Wii U, like DKC:TF. would be the best news I could hear at E3. I'd even want Retro to develop that if possible.

But that's just wishful thinking, small chance we'd be getting a console 2(.5)D. Probably Prime 4 on Wii U and Dread on (New)3DS, both releasing 2016 just like Fusion and Prime 1 did in 2002.

I really can't decide which one I'd want more, but I'd go with 2D since a 2D Metroid hasn't been made since 2004.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want a 2D Metroid on Wii U with the graphical fidelity of Rayman Legends. That's definitely my top priority. I'd be more excited for a new 3D Metroid if I could count on it not having terrible controls like every other 3D Metroid. That's my only concern. Otherwise, I'm excited as hell for an HD 3D Metroid!

Top Bottom