• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Rondo to Chandler lobs

Rondo's FT% tho

6HoNUdq.gif

Good fit for both sides I think. Dallas has enough shooters to work well with Rondo, and Boston was never going to get some king's ransom for a borderline all-star/non franchise player in the final year of his contract.

VPhys

Chuck adding to the entertainment level as usual. Seems like every time he has called a game this season though, the stars have been sat out (San Antonio) or injured.

All of these scenarios had a superstar on the team already, I'm not sure Rondo was going to be that guy and if he isn't the C's pretty much had no other choice than to try their luck in the lottery until they find someone like that.

True, but in that case, their best move is to try and find a way to acquire that one superstar. The best current example is the Rockets, who stockpiled draft picks and fleeced the Thunder for James Harden. The C's are in a similar position with their pick this year, Smart, the picks they got for KG/Pierce, and the picks they'll get with this deal. Somehow, they need to turn those assets into a superstar.

What they don't need to do is tank the season to get higher up in the lottery as the odds of drafting said superstar are very very low compared to the odds of flipping assets for a superstar. Drafting is so inexact and imperfect that they're just as likely to get an impact player in the teens as they are in the top 5.

All I'm saying is forget this "tank for a young core" crap you see the Sixers and other teams doing. Stash those picks, wheel and deal, and strike when the iron is hot. And don't be afraid to win games.

True, but in that case, their best move is to try and find a way to acquire that one superstar. The best current example is the Rockets, who stockpiled draft picks and fleeced the Thunder for James Harden. The C's are in a similar position with their pick this year, Smart, the picks they got for KG/Pierce, and the picks they'll get with this deal. Somehow, they need to turn those assets into a superstar.

What they don't need to do is tank the season to get higher up in the lottery as the odds of drafting said superstar are very very low compared to the odds of flipping assets for a superstar. Drafting is so inexact and imperfect that they're just as likely to get an impact player in the teens as they are in the top 5.

All I'm saying is forget this "tank for a young core" crap you see the Sixers and other teams doing. Stash those picks, wheel and deal, and strike when the iron is hot. And don't be afraid to win games.

Most GM's don't always get the opportunity to fleece another team for someone on the level of James Harden, that's why you keep on acquiring draft picks and other assets, hope that you hit on some picks and keep your cap space clean so that you can jump on the opportunity to trade for a superstar if you ever get the chance.

Jake.

as a diehard (australian) boston supporter since 06, this is the worst celtics trade that's ever transpired during my fandom. i'm actually gutted.

Bread

Banned
Mavs pick is heavily protected for 2015 so Boston will end up 4 1st round picks in 2016
hmmmm

that's dirk's last year of his deal, hopefully he retires by then (i'd rather him not retire by then for the sake of watching him play though).

hmmmm

that's dirk's last year of his deal, hopefully he retires by then (i'd rather him not retire by then for the sake of watching him play though).

Not that it makes much of a difference but he has a player option for 2016-2017. Either way the pick is probably going to be middling at best.

hmmmm

Dirk doesn't make very much so they should still be able to field a very competitive team once he's done. As long as Carslisle is there at least. I don't expect them to fall in the tank once Dirk is gone

Why didn't the rockets foul? They were down by 7 with 45 seconds left and just let the pelicans dribble down the clock and get a shot off. Ugh.

spyder_ur

Sad to see Rondo go but totally understand the move. I was lucky enough to go to many, if not most of the playoff games from 2008-12 and it's tough seeing the last piece of so many great times leave.

Rondo has flaws to his game, but he's got savantesque qualities on the court, a truly unique player. The weird thing is I think he's almost a net negative on the wrong team or in the wrong role - the time had come. I think he'll be great on the Mavs.

Barely beating a Durant-less Thunder...come on now.

No Bogut... Don't forget we finished the half with the lead. Durant went off on us. The Thunder dropped 40 on us in the first quarter and we still came out on top by halftime..Even with Durant in the second half, it could've gone either way.

Top Bottom