• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6 has shipped! Thank goodness that 2 to 3 week ship time was inaccurate. That said, it sucks I missed out on the $50 credit only because the phone was always out of stock.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They just need to create a notification widget with back/play/forward controls. It took them a long time to put the back button on their Google music widget so i do not think they will fix it anytime soon though.

But that's what we have now (you have to expand the notification to see the back skip button). The issue is that it's just a notification like any other. It needs to be in a dedicated, elevated position on the lock screen, separate from the rest of the notifications. Some more controls (like a seek bar) would also be nice, and that's not possible as long as it's just a notification, since those can only have simple action buttons.

So, what's the best keyboard out there for Android? I switched from the samsung keyboard to google's own.

A while ago I would have said Swiftkey, but now I think Google's own keyboard is as good or better. Unless you want something a bit different there's no reason to use anything else, IMO.

RedFyn

I have a couple wallpapers that I rotate. This is one of my favorites.

1st dock
screenshot_2014-12-18ljuzj.png

2nd dock

Wallpaper by hyokka

Edit: Haha, sorry. Got distracted by my ice cream and forgot to quote them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've never quite understood having several dock pages. The entire point of that row of icons is that it's always the same, so that you can always access your most important apps no matter what home screen you're on. With multiple scrolling dock pages you're really just turning it into a couple of really small extra home screens. Don't get it, but that's me!

RedFyn

I've never quite understood having several dock pages. The entire point of that row of icons is that it's always the same, so that you can always access your most important apps no matter what home screen you're on. By making it have multiple scrolling pages you're really just turning it into a couple of really small extra home pages. Don't get it, but that's me!
I only have one home screen. The extra dock provides quick links to most used apps without taking up space on my home screen. Its faster than opening the drawer and looks better than having stuff covering the picture

RedFyn

Does anyone know what that icon on the far right of the first dock is? I used it because it fit the color scheme but I have no idea what it's actually for.

terrier

I've never quite understood having several dock pages. The entire point of that row of icons is that it's always the same, so that you can always access your most important apps no matter what home screen you're on. With multiple scrolling dock pages you're really just turning it into a couple of really small extra home screens. Don't get it, but that's me!

I like to have everything at just one touch/swipe distance:

3 home screens, basic one with just clock or weather widget, swipe left Google now with its own weather prediction and other stuff like where did i park my car. Swipe right calendar widget and soundsearch widget(or shazam or track id...) to have a fast view of my upcoming events
App drawer, if possible, not now if using Gnow launcher , all apps in a single screen using folders.
That's it.

Hasney

On my homescreen, all I have is a Timely widget with my next alarm, Google Play Widget and then two rows of app drawers sorted by category. All I need.

terrier

what is the point of having timely over stock clock alarm?
It has very cute design but doesn't it get in conflict with stock alarm ? Is it accessible from (any) clock widget?

Groof

So 5.0.1 OTA finally hit my N5 last night. Seems to have improved performance quite a bit, especially with the app switcher. Used to take a second or so to pop up, now it's nearly instantaneous. Hoping to see less memory issues too.

As for using 3rd party clock/alarm apps, I use one because I hate having the stupid alarm icon in the status bar. It's so stupid that it's permanent, especially on weekends when the next alarm is days away.

terrier

So 5.0.1 OTA finally hit my N5 last night. Seems to have improved performance quite a bit, especially with the app switcher. Used to take a second or so to pop up, now it's nearly instantaneous. Hoping to see less memory issues too.

As for using 3rd party clock/alarm apps, I use one because I hate having the stupid alarm icon in the status bar. It's so stupid that it's permanent, especially on weekends when the next alarm is days away.

oh, i happen to prefer the contrary, if know the alarm is on and will wake me up i won't have to worry. If no icon on status bar i have to check manually everyday which isn't convenient at all.
I guess that it would be better if the icon just appeared hours before, that could be an option that could be implemented.

Didn't google add , with kitkat, a notification to disable alarm some time before it would sound in case it wasn't needed?

I only have one home screen. The extra dock provides quick links to most used apps without taking up space on my home screen. Its faster than opening the drawer and looks better than having stuff covering the picture

i use swipe actions on the dock items to launch secondary apps.

imagine hangouts as an icon and swipe up on hangouts to launch whatsapp.... or dialer and swipe up for hangouts dialer... csiyeaaaa.mkv

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You might be right, the switcher does seem to pop up faster now. There was definitely a noticeable delay before, now that's pretty much gone.

Didn't google add , with kitkat, a notification to disable alarm some time before it would sound in case it wasn't needed?

Yeah, you get a notification 30 min (I think) before each alarm, from which you can dismiss it before it's gone off.

oh, i happen to prefer the contrary, if know the alarm is on and will wake me up i won't have to worry. If no icon on status bar i have to check manually everyday which isn't convenient at all.
I guess that it would be better if the icon just appeared hours before, that could be an option that could be implemented.

I'm the same lol, I'd be paranoid that the alarm isn't on. If it ever stops working or something I'd never know!

terrier

I'm the same lol, I'd be paranoid that the alarm isn't on. If it ever stops working or something I'd never know!

i think, unlike other icons in status bar like nfc, alarm is useful (sometimes clock widget tells you next alarm). But i guess it is hard to please everyone so i wish google allowed some customisation there , but probably will never happen.
I also wish all phones had , like mediatek powered ones, the option to set alarm even if phone is off, that would be awesome in certain situations like low battery and being unable to recharge.

jokkir

Anyone know WHY when pinning albums on Google Play Music that it takes up a ridiculous amount of space? For example, Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor is around 500mb. There's no way that album is that large. Anyone know how to make the size more manageable? It's terrible on a device that only has 16GB.

Also, putting the quality in the options to normal does nothing. I assume since you pin it, it'll download a higher quality version or something automatically :\

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i think, unlike other icons in status bar like nfc, alarm is useful (sometimes clock widget tells you next alarm). But i guess it is hard to please everyone so i wish google allowed some customisation there , but probably will never happen.
I also wish all phones had , like mediatek powered ones, the option to set alarm even if phone is off, that would be awesome in certain situations like low battery and being unable to recharge.

The NFC icon isn't there in stock Android unless it's being actively used. Having it there as soon as it's enabled is just some stupid OEM thing. I don't know why they keep doing stupid things for no good reason, I really don't.

kehs

Banned
The NFC icon isn't there in stock Android unless it's being actively used. Having it there as soon as it's enabled is just some stupid OEM thing. I don't know why they keep doing stupid things for no good reason, I really don't.

Is there even an nfc icon on aosp android? I just tried on the n7, but nothing came up.

I sorta understand why the oems put it up though, what I don't get is why it's not one of the ones I can hide on my phone. Sony
LLShC.gif

RedFyn

i use swipe actions on the dock items to launch secondary apps.

imagine hangouts as an icon and swipe up on hangouts to launch whatsapp.... or dialer and swipe up for hangouts dialer... csiyeaaaa.mkv
I have it on YouTube but I just don't use many other apps on a regular basis. I haven't taken the time to consider it much either. Probably should.

Edit: You got me obsessed with setting this up :/

Link to that wallpaper please
http://hyokka.deviantart.com/art/starry-blue-and-orange-tent-492918836

remz

So if I were to pick up a new phone now, would an LG G3 be a good choice? if not, what's the go to Android right now?

I kind of like stock, I'm upgrading from an M7 that keeps shitting itself.

teiresias

I like some of their features and it's a nice looking keyboard, but I didn't like the prediction text stuff.

Predictive text is what makes the swiping gestures worth a damn in most of these keyboards that use it. Unfortunately it always seems to stick with the same suggestions no matter how many times I correct it (if I have to change "Soggy" into "Sony" one more time I'll scream).

So if I were to pick up a new phone now, would an LG G3 be a good choice? if not, what's the go to Android right now?

I kind of like stock, I'm upgrading from an M7 that keeps shitting itself.
Yeah G3 is pretty good. If you want a really good with great battery life, the Xperia Z3 is quite good. Nexus 6 is also good but you have to be an expert unicorn hunter for that phone. I'm not sadly 😒

Wow I love Amazon. Ordered a Nexus 9 white 32GB. Got small lightbleed issues on my first unit and quickly requested an exchange for another... second was even worse. Got a third, just as bad as the second.

At this point I'd gotten accustomed to the small amount of lightbleed on my first unit that I just asked them if I could keep it and send back the others. Amazon sent me two new shipping labels AND refunded me $45 to help pay for repair fees if I decide to go that route.

Awesome. Getting it for $50 cheaper makes me care about the lightbleed even less now. I love the tablet otherwise.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For those who're using Samsung phones + Nova (prime)— how much of the TW is left? I'm assuming the notifications are still TW, but what about app switcher? Anything else I'm missing?

I say this because I was able to do a side-by-side comparison between a N6, an iPhone 6+, and a Note 4. And was by far more impressed by Note 4 the most (screen, camera, S pen, other little features) so I'm thinking about swallowing my pride and choosing function over form. But still, the less I see of TW, the better obv.

They basically just believe they can terminate a contract with OnePlus because they feel like it http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12...ind-of-a-jerk/

This isn't the first time cyanogen have been assholes though. They actually stole stuff from other developers and claimed it as their own on xda.
bah, sours me on them a lot. Whatever. Any word on what cyanogen is doing going forward? Are they going to use em for the rest of the world or are they switching altogether? I wish they'd just use stock everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom