• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best current TV Shows no one is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

99hertz

Hey OP, I finished watching Banshee a few weeks ago and I couldn't remember who recommended it to me until I saw this thread right now. It's a good show, recommend it.

Edit: For my pick I choose Nathan For You.

mm04

Selfie.

...guys, please don't go, hear me out! I know the the pilot was atrocious and deserved the hate it got, but since around episode 4 the show finally got an idea what to do with the supporting cast and since then it got so much better you wouldn't even believe it. I myself wouldn't if I hadn't seen it. The two leads have mad chemistry. Karen Gillan made a potentially annoying character extremely endearing, simultaneously adorable and sexy. John Cho plays a very uptight guy and still gives him such a huge amount of charm and hotness. And the budding romance between the two feels very natural and heartfelt, wrapping it in hilarious comedy.

I'm just not ready to part with these characters yet. I'm hoping some miracle (hulu?) saves it and maybe someday will see a second season. For now, you can watch unaired episodes on abc.com or hulu. So far, every episode was better than the last. Seriously, it's such a great underrated show!
#SaveSelfie ;(

I won't lie. I've come to love this show too for much of the same reasons you mention. It's a goner, but if it has a decent finale, I'd be satisfied. The last few episodes have been hilarious.

I'll go with Hannibal. It has a pretty devout fan base online, but the few times I've brought it up elsewhere I get nothing. 70% of the times, I get a "What's that". The other 30% people just go "I loved the movies, haven't seen the show though". I still have yet to find anybody that watches the show except somebody who I let borrow my season 1 DVD.

zulux21

I'm going to go with Ground Floor (from Bill Lawrence, and not mentioned in this thread at all)

I tend to prefer more goofy comedies such as scrubs, community, cougar town ect thus for me Ground Floor is one of the best comedies on tv right now as John C. McGinley absolutely nails the scenes he is in. No one seems to know of this show though, heck we technically have an OT for it but no one posts in it either. The second season just aired... I am hoping this is like community where the fanbase will just slowly grow and the series will continue to go on for a while. The only real shame is that the show has a laugh track for some reason... which is lame :/

The one true answer

tumblr_mh8im6WXWy1r660gmo1_500.gif

Press Launch for the Second Series is on the 16th June

So probably gonna be shown early July!

Rectify is another shout

I hate how much this show is mentioned as a great underrated show without including two key facts: the story is meh (ok, that's subjective), and it won't get a second season.

Is there a cliff hanger in the finale? If no, I promise to watch.

The UK Utopia show (it's a weird scifi/conspiracy series), it's literally like the most incompetent people that should never know what they do.

It's pretty dark, good comedy in it as well and the music and design of the colour aesthetic, camera work, the characters is so unique.

BUT, it got cancelled recently after two seasons. HOWEVER, there is a U.S version being adapted which will be out soon, it'll be by HBO and David Fincher is directing it. I hope it's as good as the UK's version, but I'm going to miss that amazing cast for the characters in the UK one, it fit so perfectly.

Here is the opening scene to tease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

Even though the UK one is cancelled after two seasons, goddamn watch it.

Bold One

Its not current anymore because it was unjustly cancelled

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23

very funny, Dreama Walker and Krysten Ritter are excellent.

Dont-Trust-The-B-In-Apartment-23-Cast.jpg

and Suburgatory

The UK Utopia show (it's a weird scifi/conspiracy series), it's literally like the most incompetent people that should never know what they do.

It's pretty dark, good comedy in it as well and the music and design of the colour aesthetic, camera work, the characters is so unique.

BUT, it got cancelled recently after two seasons. HOWEVER, there is a U.S version being adapted which will be out soon, it'll be by HBO and David Fincher is directing it. I hope it's as good as the UK's version, but I'm going to miss that amazing cast for the characters in the UK one, it fit so perfectly.

Here is the opening scene to tease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

Even though the UK one is cancelled after two seasons, goddamn watch it.

Does it end with a cliffhanger?

Does it end with a cliffhanger?

Yeah. :( The show over the two season makes good use of closing up certain things very well and season 2 as well but it ends on one definitely.

That's why I hope the HBO U.S adaption is good so I can see where this amazing story goes, I'll just miss the original cast of characters I grew to love the show with. I do recommend it though despite the cliff hanger at season two, especially if you are interested in watching the U.S one in the future. It's way worth it still.

Yaari

Banshee is indeed very entertaining. Story wasn't great but I still went through both season really quickly.

I've started watching Rectify and The Goldbergs, both are very interesting and I'll keep watching. This topic definitely paid off so far!

Some show called Gomorra also taken my interest, but I'll try it later. And hopefully Marco Polo is good.

SummitAve

Banned
Finding Your Roots on PBS. Show is fantastic. They get some really big name guests and figure out who and what their ancestors did and they reveal it to the guests in a story book like fashion. It's a really enjoyable well produced show. Lots of good history in there too.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
also, I'm finding Silicon Valley rather funny. There's the occasional slip into BBT shit territory, which I loathe, but when it works, it works. and I love the extremely smart depiction of the nerdy universe

Grizzo

Review and Getting On. Both are remakes but of very good quality.

I also feel like Looking was criminally overlooked. Give it a try, even if you're not gay.

Wiktor

BBC's Wallander. It can stand up to anything ever done on TV. Writing, cinematography, stories and acting. TV shows don't get much better than this. It's such a shame the upcoming 4th series will be the last.

Also..while no the best series of any kind, I think Elementary is seriously underrated. At it's best it completely spanks the BBC's Sherlock and has the very best interpretations of all the core Sherlock characters by far.

Frog-fu

Banned
It pleases me to see Kingdom mentioned as many as times as it has been. Great show.

Also, don't sleep on The 100. I made the mistake of assuming it was yet another, boring teen drama on The CW, but nah, this show awesome. The best show on The CW right now imo, with Flash and Arrow as close second and third respectively. Hop on it!

Karu

I have the slight feeling we can add Marco Polo to that list rather soon. Without the budget it would be already.

After having seen 4 episodes, I think the show is amazing, can't understand the lukewarm reviews. Additionally, the visuals are above ALL ELSE.

Yaari

Finished The Fall Season 2. I actually started by watching Season 1 which aired in 2013, but after 30 min in, it felt very familiar, and I realized I already seen that season. So on to Season 2, pretty enjoyable overall.

I saw Broadchurch is having a second season as well, another British series.

Next on my watch list will be Peaky Blinders.

JdFoX187

Banned
Have three more episodes of Peaky Blinders left. Thanks for the recommendation, guys. Damn good show. I'm a huge Sam Neill fan and he's absolutely great. But my biggest surprise is Tom fucking Hardy showing up.

Dalek

also, I'm finding Silicon Valley rather funny. There's the occasional slip into BBT shit territory, which I loathe, but when it works, it works. and I love the extremely smart depiction of the nerdy universe

Great show and you know it has true geek cred (not that phoney baloney BBT stuff) when one of the main characters slips in a joke about how bad Mass Effect 3's ending was.

http://youtu.be/eB9Y3yXkUho

Manhattan

Started off real slow but by the end of the season you're going "Holy shit! Holy shit!" at some of the story conclusions. Can't wait for season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom