• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Amps are never necessary just sometimes highly recommended, same with dac. I'd recommend trying the headphones without anything and then if you feel as though something is off or if you hear a bit of noise when your headphones are plugged and there's no music playing you can always get something small like Schiit Fulla or Fiio E10k
Good advice! No need to shell out extra dollars if you don't need them. If you do decide to get an external DAC, you'll need an amp as well to send the processed signal too so, once you decide to take the plunge on a DAC, you'll need an amp, whether its built into the DAC you choose or separate.

How is this music player? Are there better alternatives?http://www.foobar2000.org/
Jriver, Foobar, and Media Monkey are probably the most popular Windows media players.

LCfiner

What's a good DAC to pair with a set of Mad Dog Pros and a Schiit Asgard 2? I looked at some of the other Schiit DACs and the Loki doesn't seem useful to me so if I stick with Schiit it would probably be the Modi 2 or the Modi 2 Uber. What about other brands? A friend tells me that Dr. Dac is supposed to be excellent but I trust GAF more than I trust him, lol. Would like to spend under $200

I had the modi 1 and thought it was great. I now have the bifrost uber and think it’s a leeetle bit better. (but honestly not sure if it’s worth 400 more…)

imo, get the modi 2 (or modi 2 uber if the extra 50 bucks is no big deal for ya and you don’t mind an extra power cable)

Addnan

Forgot how much I loved these headphones. With just a touch of amping they are so close to perfect and at a grand total of less than a 1/3 of what my X1's cost. Not that I don't like the X1, they are quite different sounds to be fair. These also cost less than the HM5, so they might be going back.

Wq2x5Fvl.jpg

Does anyone hear Background static noise in The Dark Side of The Moon album by Pink Floyd on Google Music? Or is it just me?

I'm using Sennheiser HD 600 with 02/ODAC. Then again, I've only used this headphones for a few hours. Perhaps I need to break them in for another 100 hours?

here we go:

Current Setup:

Oppo HA-1 Amp/DAC
Sennheiser HD800 (Single Ended for the time being)
AudioQuest Carbon USB Cable
Jriver Media Centre 19

10426138_10152899098049512_1070912556303076207_n.jpg

10696225_10152899097824512_7628852632802176870_n.jpg

10350509_10152899097914512_1757827927727171776_n.jpg

10411195_10152899097979512_8933355077997212941_n.jpg

10403069_10152899098134512_8213057281478962006_n.jpg

Thoughts to come once i have the balanced cable and the Audeze's.

It's lovely and clear so far. Running High Gain.

I had the modi 1 and thought it was great. I now have the bifrost uber and think it’s a leeetle bit better. (but honestly not sure if it’s worth 400 more…)

imo, get the modi 2 (or modi 2 uber if the extra 50 bucks is no big deal for ya and you don’t mind an extra power cable)

Heh, glad to know the Bifrost Uber ain't really all that. I was about to hop on a Gungnir Uber for shicks and squiggles after Purrin blew his load on it in his DAC off thread. I feel like DACs and amps are where you feel the brunt of diminishing returns the most. Fool me once I guess

With that said, I'm probably gonna pick up a Schiit Fulla for the low impedance when driving my IEMs

...I'm probably gonna pick up a Schiit Fulla for the low impedance when driving my IEMs
Hard to argue with the Fulla at that price. I've been damn impressed with the Geek Out but I'm not sure if it offers much (DSD support?) that the Fulla lacks. Can't wait to read some comparisons between the Fulla and other offerings of that ilk.

I dunno. I'm just buying the Fulla cause another guy said the UERM sounds really good thru it and I really like the inclusion of analog volume cause adjusting software is annoying. Like you said, hard not to take a chance when it's only $80. As for Fulla vs. GO, Schiit has its work cut out for it IMO.

Thanks, so unless anything major changes or some new recommendations pop up, I think my final set up is going to be Mad Dog Pro, Asgard 2, and Modi 2 Uber.

LCfiner

Heh, glad to know the Bifrost Uber ain't really all that. I was about to hop on a Gungnir Uber for shicks and squiggles after Purrin blew his load on it in his DAC off thread. I feel like DACs and amps are where you feel the brunt of diminishing returns the most. Fool me once I guess

With that said, I'm probably gonna pick up a Schiit Fulla for the low impedance when driving my IEMs

The bifrost is good but I always find DAC changes to provide the tiniest of changes (once you get beyond noisy stuff in cheap laptops that doesn’t pass basic quiet noise standards :) and the modi was very nice.

biggest difference between modi and bifrost is the voltage out is 1.5V on modi and 2V on bifrost. bifrost sounded significantly better till i noted by how much the volume levels were off, lol.

After matching them, then the differences became much smaller.

@cpp. that’s an excellent setup. I got the asgard 2 and alpha dogs and it’s really solid. you’re gonna like that combo, I think

pj

Banned
here we go:

Current Setup:

Oppo HA-1 Amp/DAC
Sennheiser HD800 (Single Ended for the time being)
AudioQuest Carbon USB Cable
Jriver Media Centre 19

Thoughts to come once i have the balanced cable and the Audeze's.

It's lovely and clear so far. Running High Gain.

There is no reason for a headphone amp to be this large

I'd consider a tube amp to give the Mad Dogs just a touch more warmth... Maybe the Little Dot MK2

I looked it up. I don't know much about tube / non-tube differences, but some quick reading suggests that a) I can't leave it on all the time, and b) I might have to open it up and fiddle with some switches. I kind of want something I can just plug in and leave alone, and only ever fiddle with the volume knob. I'm not good at remembering stuff like turning it off when I'm done listening to it, etc.

HiResDes

Does anyone hear Background static noise in The Dark Side of The Moon album by Pink Floyd on Google Music? Or is it just me?

I'm using Sennheiser HD 600 with 02/ODAC. Then again, I've only used this headphones for a few hours. Perhaps I need to break them in for another 100 hours?
I don't think true burn in exists, it's just brain burn in

rude

Banned
Ultimately decided to replace my broken grado sr80 with the sennheiser 598s. the difference between them was really jarring at first. still not sure what to think about them but i do know i like them. anyone else use these?

this track in particular is fucking crazy in how differently these two headphones display (is that the right word?) this song

HiResDes

Ultimately decided to replace my broken grado sr80 with the sennheiser 598s. the difference between them was really jarring at first. still not sure what to think about them but i do know i like them. anyone else use these?

I thought you were gonna check out the Soundmagic HP200s, the 598s do a lot of things fairly well, but are so boring to me.

rude

Banned
I thought you were gonna check out the Soundmagic HP200s, the 598s do a lot of things fairly well, but are so boring to me.
A friend of mine happens to have a pair. They were really similar to the Grados in how...I'm not sure how to put it? I wanted to try out a different sound, can't say I'm disappointed but the difference is going to take some getting used to.

I guess a way to describe it is that the 598s sound really (or overly?) clean and precise in comparison to those other two headphones?

Guise, which headphone do you guys recommend for great bass quality with voice chat for reasonable price? I was looking at Skullcandy Crusher and tried it today and it's bass feature is pretty awesome.

Tommy DJ

There is no reason for a headphone amp to be this large

Well there actually is. That headphone amp is actually a bridged amplifier. So there's 2x of basically every amplifier component in there, which might explain its insane price as well.

I looked it up. I don't know much about tube / non-tube differences, but some quick reading suggests that a) I can't leave it on all the time, and b) I might have to open it up and fiddle with some switches. I kind of want something I can just plug in and leave alone, and only ever fiddle with the volume knob. I'm not good at remembering stuff like turning it off when I'm done listening to it, etc.

Good tube amps you don't really have to fiddle with unless you REALLY want to tube roll. But yeah, more downsides compared to a non-tube/SS amp. Downsides aside, I still prefer it. My ADs sounded flat and congested when I was listening to the Modi/Magni side by side to what I have right now. To be fair that was their budget line, but I <3 the look and sound of my current amp.

bkpLBkC.jpg

Crisco

Banned

Oh you'll notice that with a lot of older recordings on Google Music. Remember, recording equipment in the 70s wasn't as good as it is today, the noise floor was much higher. What you're hearing is noise from the original recording, which means it's actually a pretty high quality encode of the track and your headphones are probably resolving way more detail than you're used too.

Oh you'll notice that with a lot of older recordings on Google Music. Remember, recording equipment in the 70s wasn't as good as it is today, the noise floor was much higher. What you're hearing is noise from the original recording, which means it's actually a pretty high quality encode of the track and your headphones are probably resolving way more detail than you're used too.
I don't think this is true as a rule. Go to head-fi or another audiophile forum and hear the praise for older recordings. I think the trouble with a lot of stuff in the late 70's into the 80's was the move from vinyl to CD and the havoc it played in the production process with studios not understanding or misunderstanding the differences between the formats and the changes that needed to be made when producing for one format versus the other.

Number45

Can anyone recommend some good in-ear headphones, up to around the £200 mark? I currently have Bose in-ear - which I like because they're incredibly stable and well built (both qualities that are important to me) - but I've always found the sound lacked punch. :(

After several years of abuse, they're starting to show their age.

So I'd like:

• Around £200 (I can go over)
  • Ideally possible to get them before Christmas in the UK, but not a show stopper
  • Good build quality
  • Stable in ear
  • Sound isolating, ideally (for my benefit, and others)
  • In-line remote
  • A little punch in the delivery
I'm not an audiophile, but I likes nice things so I'd like to get as much as I can for the money.

HiResDes

Can anyone recommend some good in-ear headphones, up to around the £200 mark? I currently have Bose in-ear - which I like because they're incredibly stable and well built (both qualities that are important to me) - but I've always found the sound lacked punch. :(

After several years of abuse, they're starting to show their age.

So I'd like:

• Around £200 (I can go over)
  • Ideally possible to get them before Christmas in the UK, but not a show stopper
  • Good build quality
  • Stable in ear
  • Sound isolating, ideally (for my benefit, and others)
  • In-line remote
  • A little punch in the delivery
I'm not an audiophile, but I likes nice things so I'd like to get as much as I can for the money.

RHA MA750 or PFE 122(most balanced when using grey filters) or RHA T10i (most bass-heavy)

This looks nice. link, pls?

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-peridot-headphone-stand-suitable-for-almost-all-headphone-sizes

Draper

I made a thread but I was redirected here:
Hey gang, so I was looking to treat myself this Christmas to a new set of cans. I currently have a set of Sennheiser 555's, but I was kinda looking to go wireless. Is that a dumb move? I've heard of NFC activated headphones too, are they gimmicky? Appreciate the help.

Thanks!

FoxSpirit

I don't think this is true as a rule. Go to head-fi or another audiophile forum and hear the praise for older recordings. I think the trouble with a lot of stuff in the late 70's into the 80's was the move from vinyl to CD and the havoc it played in the production process with studios not understanding or misunderstanding the differences between the formats and the changes that needed to be made when producing for one format versus the other.
But that praise isn't for the immaculate noise floor. It's for the dynamics and natural mixing.
So yeah, a lot of that stuff will have audible tape hiss in the background. You can correct it some but too much correction will give an unnatural sound.
The better the system the more audible it is.

Draper

What is your budget? What is your source material? Where will you be using the headphones? Why wireless? Tell us more and you will get a better response.

*sweats*

I'd be using them mainly at home but also trips. As far as source,ha, uh, my macbook air, my iPhone, and using them with my ps4 if possible. I just think wireless would be way more convenient and less cumbersome.

*sweats*

I'd be using them mainly at home but also trips. As far as source,ha, uh, my macbook air, my iPhone, and using them with my ps4 if possible. I just think wireless would be way more convenient and less cumbersome.
Then I think HiResDes is the man for you. I don't think you need an amp and it seems you won't be using hi res audio. You need something with a 3.5mm jack as well and none of my phones have them.

Top Bottom