• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

dave_d

Has anyone ordered a video card from Tigerdirect? I just received my MSI 970. I should have received the free Ubi game, but they never emailed me the code to enter. How does this work?

I did via that visa thing and they e-mailed me the code pretty much a day or two after they charged my credit card. (I bought the Zotac since it'll actually fit in my case.)

fuzzyset

I did via that visa thing and they e-mailed me the code pretty much a day or two after they charged my credit card. (I bought the Zotac since it'll actually fit in my case.)

Hmm, I did the same thing. Pretty unimpressed by Tigerdirect. Even using the Visa checkout, they still put a hold on my order because I shipped it to not my billing address.

Kezen

Banned

Videocardz think it's fake.
http://videocardz.com/54166/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-to-arrive-on-january-22nd

Oh boy, we have not posted anything in a week! And before you ask, we did see the leak about ‘Fiji/Bermuda/GM200′ performance from Chiphell. Of course it was fake, because no one has access to those GPUs, especially to all of them at the same time.

Just bought Gallax GTX 980 HOC 4GB for 600$ (550€). Now I am reading about a rumored GTX 980ti coming in february 2015, 2300-2500 cuda cores as I recall, 6GB+ VRAM. What are your thought on this gaf?

I was upgrading from a GTX 770 2GB, I don't expect to go in 4K technology until a few year, but I plan to enjoy a nice 1920x1200 all max set (maybe some downsampling?). What are you thought on downsampling with a single GTX 980?

Reassure me gaf.

Just bought Gallax GTX 980 HOC 4GB for 600$ (550€). Now I am reading about a rumored GTX 980ti coming in february 2015, 2300-2500 cuda cores as I recall, 6GB+ VRAM. What are your thought on this gaf?

I was upgrading from a GTX 770 2GB, I don't expect to go in 4K technology until a few year, but I plan to enjoy a nice 1920x1200 all max set (maybe some downsampling?). What are you thought on downsampling with a single GTX 980?

Reassure me gaf.

I went from a 770 to a 970, and was able to do plenty of DSR (1080p monitor, though.) Now waiting for my 980 EVGA Step-Up to arrive on Monday. By all accounts, 770 --> 980 is a pretty huge leap.

:/

PhysX
is a mess.... Borderlands 2 fps suffers greatly with it on (using a GTX 970 and i7 4790k)

I also heard from some of my friends with 980 and 970 SLis that it still gets hit hard

Anyone had the same problem with PHYSX?

Seanspeed

Banned

physx is a mess.... Borderlands 2 fps suffers greatly with it on (using a GTX 970 and i7 4790k)
I can play BL2 at 1440p/60fps with max PhysX setting plus SMAA/SweetFX on top. GTX970 and 3570k

Unless you're trying to do 4k or do 120fps or something, I'm not sure why your PC would struggle with the game.

I can play BL2 at 1440p/60fps with max PhysX setting plus SweetFX on top. GTX970 and 3570k

Unless you're trying to do 4k or do 120fps or something, I'm not sure why your PC would struggle with the game.

idk.... can't get my head around it

I have updated drivers and I am just running it at native 1080p with details on high

mhayze

Something doesn't quite jive about these benchmarks (GM200 384-bit GDDR5 vs Pirate Islands "HBM") and the claim that HBM is '9x' faster than GDDR5.

There's no sign of that being the case in the leaked benchmarks, unless the benches are fake/hobbled or the Nvidia architecture is monumentally more memory efficient (I doubt both). Seems much more likely that (in this implementation) HBM is not '9x faster'. I doubt it is even 1.9x faster.

Most of the talk on B3D indicates that R9 is 512-bit, so that should theoretically stretch the difference even further in the opposite direction vs. big Maxwell. Color me skeptical.

pestul

A week after reapplying the thermal paste on my vanilla Zotac 970 with Tuniq Tx2 I'm definitely happy I did it. I'm doing 1506/3800 with the Gamerstable modded BIOS and not cracking 75c under load. Voltage is stable and no more fluctuations. Hopefully it continues that way.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
idk.... can't get my head around it

I have updated drivers and I am just running it at native 1080p with details on high
Even on SLI 780ti's, the framerate hits that I took were pretty severe when I was in a town like area doing shooting and all the particles and such were flying around. I do remember going into the thirties as this was happening.

PhysX does seem to be messed up in that game.

Nvidia control panel
do you mean the GeForce Experience menu?
Even on SLI 780ti's, the framerate hits that I took were pretty severe when I was in a town like area doing shooting and all the particles and such were flying around. I do remember going into the thirties as this was happening.

PhysX does seem to be messed up in that game.

I am on average in the twenties and somedtimes it dips to 17fps o_O

something is messed up it seems

Kezen

Banned

PhysX
is a mess.... Borderlands 2 fps suffers greatly with it on (using a GTX 970 and i7 4790k)

I also heard from some of my friends with 980 and 970 SLis that it still gets hit hard

Anyone had the same problem with PHYSX?

It definitely tanks the framerate when there is an insane amount of persistent particles. 60fps locked with Physx high is out of my 970's reach and The Pre Sequel is even worse (ultra physx).
Other Physx enabled games run much better and very rarely drop frames but to be fair they don't push the same amount of particles (Batman AA, AC, AO, Alice, Mirror's Edge, Metro Last Light).
Lords of the Fallen with Turbulence enabled makes my 970 drop below 60 sometimes.

I am on average in the twenties and somedtimes it dips to 17fps o_O

something is messed up it seems

Right click on your desktop and check that Physx is set to auto select.
You should still run this run this better, 20s average ? Something is amiss on your PC.

do you mean the GeForce Experience menu?

No. You right-click on Desktop to access it (in Windows, don't know other OS)

3389126_2.jpg

Edit: should have read later replies first.

Kai

Quick question for a noob. Will a gtx 970 (with i7 4790 and 12gb ram) let me run most games at 1080p at settings higher or better than a ps4? If so, significantly better or just marginally?

KePoW

Banned
Quick question for a noob. Will a gtx 970 (with i7 4790 and 12gb ram) let me run most games at 1080p at settings higher or better than a ps4? If so, significantly better or just marginally?

It will run at significantly higher framerates

Absolutely. Significantly better. You'll be able to run most everything at 1080p/60 at high (but probably not max) settings.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Significantly better. Should be good for 1440p.

Reassure me gaf.

It's an Xmas miracle - my 980 was delivered this morning!

Here was my 770, with a mild overclock:
tCaQQ5L.png

And here's the 980 this morning, with a pretty decent OC:
ApkJTUG.png

Even with my non-super-fast CPU, it's pretty major.

Kezen

Banned

Better but it's hard to predict by how much.

Durante

Yes, significantly.

It's more than twice as fast as a PS4.

tCaQQ5L.png

ApkJTUG.png

My 770 is not even oc, I imagine the huge increase when I receive my oc 980. I'll see that tuesday, thx for the info.

It definitely tanks the framerate when there is an insane amount of persistent particles. 60fps locked with Physx high is out of my 970's reach and The Pre Sequel is even worse (ultra physx).
Other Physx enabled games run much better and very rarely drop frames but to be fair they don't push the same amount of particles (Batman AA, AC, AO, Alice, Mirror's Edge, Metro Last Light).
Lords of the Fallen with Turbulence enabled makes my 970 drop below 60 sometimes.

Right click on your desktop and check that Physx is set to auto select.
You should still run this run this better, 20s average ? Something is amiss on your PC.

That's completely whack

Do a simple test in Borderlands -- turn off PhysX from the game options and report your results

Need to diagnose this one step at a time

No. You right-click on Desktop to access it (in Windows, don't know other OS)

3389126_2.jpg

Edit: should have read later replies first.

thanks guys will do

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
my gtx 980 came in a couple days ago but the heatsink on it is broken or something thing overheats and makes lines on the screen gotta send it back to newegg and get a new one gah i just want to play bf4 on ultra :(

chifanpoe

That is a really great score!

My R9 290x I picked up off of ebay for $225 showed up yesterday. I just got it installed and got this with it on my i5:

r9-290x-test_zps74f08175.jpg

I am keeping my eyes out for a good price on a 970 or 980, but I could not pass up that R9 for so cheap.

That is a really great score!

My R9 290x I picked up off of ebay for $225 showed up yesterday. I just got it installed and got this with it on my i5:

r9-290x-test_zps74f08175.jpg

I am keeping my eyes out for a good price on a 970 or 980, but I could not pass up that R9 for so cheap.

Oh man, that's a great price for that level of performance. We'll see how stable mine is over the next few days. ☺

Seanspeed

Banned
It definitely tanks the framerate when there is an insane amount of persistent particles. 60fps locked with Physx high is out of my 970's reach
I haven't seen my framerate drop below 59fps playing at 1440p/max settings in BL2 with my GTX970. I just double checked it too in case I was perhaps mistake or had some other settings down I didn't realize. Tried to throw as many particle effects on screen as I could and it was rock solid.

BNGames

tCaQQ5L.png

ApkJTUG.png

Not sure how you got a 15000 for your 980, this is what I got on mine. I have a 130Mhz OC using EVGA Precision 16. Thinking Win7 and my Mobo might be my biggest bottlenecks now performance wise.

Specs:

COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

AcjmoLM.png

Not sure how you got a 15000 for your 980, this is what I got on mine. I have a 130Mhz OC using EVGA Precision 16. Thinking Win7 and my Mobo might be my biggest bottlenecks now performance wise.
AcjmoLM.png

That is a bit odd - my 970 in the same system was getting a graphics score of 12700, so yours does seem a tad low. I know that Win 8.1 (which is what I'm on) is apparently good for a fair bump in FPS, but I wasn't aware of it impacting benchmarks like that.

Do you happen to have a GPU-Z log of your runs? I wonder if there's a power/heat issue happening, causing it to throttle during the actual benchmark.

Buburibon

AcjmoLM.png

That doesn't seem right. Have you run the benchmark multiple times? Are the results consistent? SC 980s usually score around 15k, and 3770s easily over 10k. As GearDraxon suggested, try and log clock speeds, temps, etc., during a benchmark run if you can.

BNGames

That is a bit odd - my 970 in the same system was getting a graphics score of 12700, so yours does seem a tad low. I know that Win 8.1 (which is what I'm on) is apparently good for a fair bump in FPS, but I wasn't aware of it impacting benchmarks like that.

Do you happen to have a GPU-Z log of your runs? I wonder if there's a power/heat issue happening, causing it to throttle during the actual benchmark.

No temp issues to report. GPU is staying at 70c approx, CPU is good too.

Kezen

Banned
I haven't seen my framerate drop below 59fps playing at 1440p/max settings in BL2 with my GTX970. I just double checked it too in case I was perhaps mistake or had some other settings down I didn't realize. Tried to throw as many particle effects on screen as I could and it was rock solid.

I envy you. In the Caustic Caverns area in Borderlands 2 Physx inevitably bring my fps to 40-50 when I'm shooting everything.
By far the most taxing area of the game.

I just ran it twice in 10 minutes and my score was 100 points different between the 2 runs. Anything running on your PC at the time could potentially effect the score. I think 300 points is within the margin of error when it comes to Firestrike. Also, if your concerned about your GPU only, the graphics score between runs is what you should be focused on.

garath

Is 3DMark worth it for $5 or is the free ver good enough?

I'm tempted just so I can run the benchmark without the stupid demo first.

I'm also hoping the paid version has looping abilities so maybe I can hammer out some of this buzzing on my card.

Top Bottom