• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ComicsGAF Book Club #1 | Strangers in Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It's kinda sorta perfect.

I love how poor ol Dave can't catch a break and landed himself deep in the friends zone from day one. I know them feels.

Glad you're liking it! :D

And yeah. Haha. David is the man. Falls in love instantly, gets no love in return, but he still tries so hard.
That line he used on Katchoo was so good though. "I mean, do I give up all hope of ever having a cup of coffee with the sculpture... or you?" Dude has some tough luck. If she wasn't a lesbian, he'd be in for sure.

Messi

Glad you're liking it! :D

And yeah. Haha. David is the man. Falls in love instantly, gets no love in return, but he still tries so hard.
That line he used on Katchoo was so good though. "I mean, do I give up all hope of ever having a cup of coffee with the sculpture... or you?" Dude has some tough luck. If she wasn't a lesbian, he'd be in for sure.

It's a suave line for sure.

Kipp

It's a suave line for sure.

Messi, you ought to give that line a shot. It doesn't need to be in context. Just use it as a pick-up line. It'll work. For sure.

"Oh hey girl. Do I give up all hope of ever having a cup of coffee with the sculpture... or you?"

You won't be able to get her hands off of you.

Edit: We're probably going to be moved to Community by the time this book club is over. Haha

Kipp

Freddie is the dictionary definition of a douchebag.
Poor Francine...

Awesome avatar, by the way, SpiderJerusalem. Are you re-reading it with us?

Freddie is the dictionary definition of a douchebag.
Poor Francine...

Awesome avatar, by the way, SpiderJerusalem. Are you re-reading it with us?

He is but even as big of an ass as Freddie was, he had some validity in how Francine was approaching the whole sexual aspect of their relationship. She was in her own way sabotaging it even if it wasn't her intention. Now that's no excuse for anything Freddie did, it just points to more of Francine's insecurities and self esteem issues

Cheska

I love how different both Francine and Katchoo are, it makes for a great dynamic. Also, before a kid got famous for loving Chipotle, we had Francine Peters ladies and gentelmen!

XuOpMM2l.jpg

Alight time for todays update. In the future i plan on reading that days comics the day of so i don't have to sit on my thoughts for a day before posting. I'm also thinking of starting to structure these more like all the TV show episode reviews i read.

SiP Vol 2 (#1-#3)
While the first three issues was the introduction of the main characters, I think its safe to say the main focus and plot focused around Francine and her fallout with Freddie. With this set of issues its time to put the focus on Katchoo. And more importantly Katchoo's past, which is full of misfortune and hardship. In these issues Terry Moore starts to peel back some of the layers of Katchoo and why she is who she is. You find out she was sexuaully abused, has issues with her mom, ran away from home, was to the point of starvation and also was a call girl. On top of all that we also now have mysterious Mrs Parker and some guy watching her every move!

These issues had a lot of rollercoaster emotions and most of it was Katchoo dealing with Emma and her losing battle with Aids. Since this was the early 90s its not uncommon to see stories tackle this issue, what I found more interesting was how rare we see this story point brought up anymore. Its like...gone away. The last time i can think of for comics was what.. Winnick's Green Arrow? And who knows with other media like TV. Anyway Moore does an amazing job with a few panels to make you care about a character that only briefly shows up in flashbacks and then at the end in the hospital. But even with that small amount of time you really care for her passing. And you get a sense of the history she had with Katchoo. It also shines a light on how, when you are in Katchoo's inner circle how loyal and fierce she'll be for who she lets in. Great last panel

Now lets see what everyone else is up to:
David - Oh david, you are playing a masterful friendzone game here. Half the time the poor bastard is playing 3rd wheel to Francine and Katchoo as they almost converse in their own shorthand. Then he makes his move with the art gallery suprize and boy did that blow up in his face! That top right panel of Katchoo turning to look at david with hurt and tears..ugh what a powerfully drawn panel. But! he stays with it, and gets insight into her past that even Francine doesn't know. But the true highlight was when he professes his love for her and gets smacked! Man did i laugh at that exchange. Poor guy. But once again he's a trooper and doesn't back down, gets Katchoo to soften up again, gets her to admit she doesn't classify herself as a lesbian, just that she hates men (progress!) and a kiss. Hang in there David!

Francine - these issues Francine didn't do to much and due to Katchoo not wanting to tell her of her past is left out in the dark. But when she was on screen you can see she's not doing all too well. She's binge eating to eat away anxiety, concern, and probably still stuff from her breakup. You can actually see that Terry is drawing her a little larger, but not something ridiculous. Also her arm is broken? But even with all that she'll travel to Canada not knowing really why to support her best friend. And don't look now but her mother is coming to town!

Random thoughts
- Katchoo is still at war with her alarm clock. In the digital version her disney like dream sequence was in color, was it like that in the omnibus?
- Katchoo is also having fun tormenting random men she despises. Poor poor man on the plane you had no chance
- New knickname! Chewy. I like it
- Signs of the times: You could still greet people at the airports. And people still use regular phones
- SiP takes place in Houston, TX. I like that he chose to place it here. As someone who lives in Texas we don't get to have many comics in our area. Especially ones that don't roll out the tired country stereotypes

Next up.
4096612-7617155689-11686.jpg

Ok, both days of reading in one since I got a bit busy yesterday.

Whew, this comic escalates quickly. Moore pretty much establishes the characters in 2-3 pages of introducing them and then runs wild. As others said there is an interesting dichotomy between the realistic and absurd running throughout the comic.

Like in the airport at the beginning to today's reading with David getting smacked with a pacifier shot out of the nose of a mother with rambunctious children.

I also love the little throw away lines Moore includes such as the "Forget her, too rude, too short" when Katchoo runs out of the gallery.

David starting to make some progress on the friendzone but bringing Francine to Canada after Katchoo is a risky play.

A lot of background on Katchoo along with this mysterious woman trying to keep tabs on her. Perhaps linked to her past with Emma.

The dream sequence was not in color in the omnibus but had lots of grey-scale shading that gave it a distinctly different look and feel than the rest of the comic.

Just mirroring someone else earlier, it is easy to miss chapter breaks in this if you are not paying close attention and feeling out the subtle shifts in narrative or location since they are usually not designated.

Messi

Oh god it totally sucked me in. I have no idea where I am but I am ahead if the reading it seems. The chapter breaks are not easy to see in this book.

I'll write some more solid thoughts later on. These past few issues have been heavy on Katchoo and it's been an enjoyable read but man has she had a tough life.

Oh god it totally sucked me in. I have no idea where I am but I am ahead if the reading it seems. The chapter breaks are not easy to see in this book.

I'll write some more solid thoughts later on. These past few issues have been heavy on Katchoo and it's been an enjoyable read but man has she had a tough life.

The ending of issue three is at:
The Death of Emma

Kipp

Oh geez. There is seriously no indication of when the issues end, so I'm just going to assume that I read three issues. I read until the end of that hospital scene.

Anyways, I'm trying a new sort of play-by-play commentary for my post, since I have a terrible memory and can't just read it and then post afterward about my thoughts.

Volume 2, #1-3

- The airplane and airport scenes were too good. Absolutely hilarious. The airport scene in particular was spot on. Too real.
- The dialogue and character interactions are just pitch perfect.
- I need to try playing that song written for Katchoo on my piano. It doesn't look like it would sound too interesting at a glance, but who knows. Either way, I really like the fact that Moore wrote a song with both music and lyrics just for the comic.
- Moore changing his art style for that dream/nightmare was great. Really well done
- Katchoo must spend a FORTUNE on alarm clocks.
- That whole Katchoo reveal (why she moved out, who Emma was) was really powerful stuff. And the way it was revealed was really well done, too, with the building mystery and the missing pieces and then Katchoo finally explains everything.
- It's already been said, but man are the facial expressions good. So on point.
- Those two conversations between Katchoo and David were really powerful. Such great stuff. Also, Katchoo's become a much more three dimensional character now. I'm much more attached to her now than I was in the first three issues. She's definitely my new favorite character, when previously she was my least favorite main character.
- That scene when Katchoo, David, and Francine are all in the room together and Katchoo gets the call from the hospital was so good. There were so many things going on and it was amazing.
- That hospital scene was so sad and sweet.

Man, I enjoyed those issues so much. I'm officially hooked. I loved yesterday's issues, but with today's, I'm now really attached to these characters and can't wait to read more.

Kipp

One other thing that really stuck out to me that I didn't really mention in my post was how Moore used the comics medium to full effect to show the mild chaos of that scene where Katchoo gets the phone call with David and Francine in the room. Katchoo and David talking to each other while Francine is freaking out in the background. The way Moore accomplished that was perfect.

Edit: Oh, and a special shout-out to Moore's lettering. The way he letters makes it abundantly clear what tone and volume the characters are talking in. It's brilliant.

I love how different both Francine and Katchoo are, it makes for a great dynamic. Also, before a kid got famous for loving Chipotle, we had Francine Peters ladies and gentelmen!

XuOpMM2l.jpg

That panel is just pure gold.

Incredible post. Thank you for putting so much time into your reviews/analyses. I really enjoy reading them and you're much better at putting thoughts into words than I am. Haha

And yeah, I forgot to mention Francine's broken arm thing in my post, but I loved that. Moore just throws that in there as almost a throwaway thing. What other comic would have a character suddenly have a broken arm and barely even acknowledge that fact? Too good.

I was completely sucked in as well. And I rarely get sucked in to things. So good.
But yeah, I think we pretty much have to just use our best judgement for figuring out the chapter breaks. Luckily it seems that Moore has a pattern of using a splash page for the first and last page of an issue and he usually gives the issues fairly clean breaks. And obviously you can be extra careful of an issue ending after you've read 20-something pages.

Alright fairly certain I stopped at the right place with the dressing room door being kicked in.

Plans being set into motion in these chapters and some more character development.

Francine's family, super dysfunctional. It was like a condensed soup of family issues which likely contributes if not directly causes her self esteem and eating issues. She also starts recognizing her feelings for David and the problems that could inject into her relationship with Katchoo. I love that Moore understand proportions as shown in the panel where she shows off her new dress which has bulges in the expected places for a heavier set character.

More background on Katchoo and her past with Emma. Moore's art changes in dream sequences is too good. The increased lining and symmetry of her hair flowing against (into?) the ocean waves was fantastic and caused a large shift in mood for the scene.

More information on the mysterious Mrs. Parker who is after Katchoo for something to do with her past. We know she has been tracking her for at least 4 years now but still not sure why. We do now know she is wealthy and runs a conglomerate or group of businesses. She also has a bruiser who is strikingly similar to Katchoo in Tambi.

Sip Vol #2 (#4-6)

The reading for today is a bit of a transition in stories. First we thankfully get a nice stand alone story of sorts with Francine's Mother and Uncle coming into town. After the emotional downer of Emma's passing an issue focusing on humor and the absurdity of people and family was nice to see. Poor Francine is pelted non stop with jabs from her mom, and then we've got an uncle who i swear mentions alcohol every time he speaks. But this whole sequence was just wonderfully done. From the timing of the appearance of the yippy dog, the random stuff her mom would say (the line about stroke victims slayed me), and the capper the story of her aunt Libby and the aliens and dog. What a colorful family. Does it serve to move any of the plot lines along? No but when you have great characters and a writer that can tell entertaining stories it doesn't matter to me at all. I could read issues upon issues like that. Its a good part of the reason why I love Saga so much now. Just reading more of the characters is more entertaining than most comics i come across.

But that was a brief interlude to the fact Mysterious Darcy Parker (we have a first name) is now in town and she comes here for Katchoo for some reason shrouded in her troubled past. It seems to be a mix of money and possibly the two were an item in the past? We got big brusier Tambi showing up and kicking the ass of the PI who lost track of Katchoo. This Tambi doesn't mess around and knows Katchoo as evident in her the final sequence at the mall. We also find out Katchoo's criminal past is even more sordid than believed before. FBI file? Extortion? And now Francine knows too!

Now onto the random love triangle side of things
- David slammed right back into friendzone! He's hanging in there but now that Katchoo knows how he feels she's pushing him away out of being scared, and also abusing him a bit because she knows he won't run. But she's gotta be careful she doesn't take it too far with the abuse

- Francine sees Freddie and we meet his new bubbly fiancé Casey. This clearly shakes her up. And to make matters even more confusing we see a dream where she likes David! (and the first appearance of SiP Kids!). Oh the angst.

- Katchoo well she gets a kiss of sorts from Francine!

Random thoughts
- It was interesting how often Hawaii was brought up in these issues. And especially Hana. It was the last time Katchoo was happy (and from the dream sequence with Emma?), Freddie is getting married there, etc.
- I liked that the attention of detail with the nose hold from the previous issues is noticed by 'stash cop as well and uses that to link the beating to Katchoo
- Francine's eating is raised to a new level. Now she's diving in before even the checkout isle? Dang
- I can't get into this next point without spoilers, but I love Terry's attention to detail on certain plot points that will show up later. To see the evidence of them already displayed, albeit very subtle is cool to see

Omnibus Readers Stopping Point guide:
Stop after the scene in the Mall Dressing room, with the next panel being a full page of city buildings

Kipp

Excellent posts, evilpigking and gketter! Thank you both!
I feel bad because I'll never be able to add as much to the discussion as you guys. I've always been more of a listener than a talker in discussion scenarios, so I guess that spills over to internet forum book clubs as well. Haha

Anyways, another excellent three issues. A huge variety of genres too, with the incredibly serious plot revolving around Mrs. Parker, the normal comedy that's thrown about in the dialogue (and especially with the visit from the mom and uncle), and the ever-present relationship drama. Great stuff.

Also, did any of you guys see in the first splash page of issue 4 (the one with Tambi leaned up against the wall scoping out the coffee shop) that in the window of the coffee shop there was a sign saying "Try Our Liver!"?
Loved that so much.

She also has a bruiser who is strikingly similar to Katchoo in Tambi.

That really threw me off as well! Even after I realized it wasn't Katchoo, I looked at both of their characters trying to figure out how to tell the difference and came up with nothing. Now that I know she exists, it'll be easy to tell which is which due to context though. Haha

We also find out Katchoo's criminal past is even more sordid than believed before. FBI file? Extortion? And now Francine knows too!

- Francine sees Freddie and we meet his new bubbly fiancé Casey. This clearly shakes her up. And to make matters even more confusing we see a dream where she likes David! (and the first appearance of SiP Kids!). Oh the angst.

- It was interesting how often Hawaii was brought up in these issues. And especially Hana. It was the last time Katchoo was happy (and from the dream sequence with Emma?), Freddie is getting married there, etc.

The thing that threw me off about Francine still not knowing (or at least until the cop showed up at the door) about Katchoo's past prostitution is that when in issue 3 Katchoo got the call that Emma was dying and had to leave real quick, she told Francine "David can tell you everything" when Francine was asking what on earth was going on. I kind of assumed that would've involved David telling her about Emma and who Emma was and how they met and why they were friends in the first place and all that. I feel like the prostitution thing is pretty crucial to telling Francine about Emma.

My favorite part about when Francine literally "ran into" Freddie, was that she hit his shopping cart because she was staring at the ice cream. Too funny.
Also, I loved that SiP kids dream sequence. The dialogue was so perfect.

I too really liked how Moore did the recurring Hana/Hawaii references.

I missed that Liver sign! Good catch. This is one of the few times I'm contributing on the Internet. I'm usually one reading others thoughts so no worries. But the recaps have been fun so far.

One thought reading that Tambi intro was how he shifted tones to a detective noir style. The dialogue, art style, etc all seemed to sift for a couple pages. Pretty cool

Messi

The digs about Francines weight gain just keep on coming. Every time somebody mentions her weight it just bums me out. Her mother was just a total ass about it.

The Katchoo and Emma stuff from a day or two ago was really fantastic. It has stuck with me. I don't know why buy I didn't expect those kinds of scenarios so early in this book nor did I expect the characters to be able to pull me in so early. But over the short time we spend with Katchoo and even more so Emma I developed some feelings for them. To have that taken away hurt. It must be absolutely soul crushing for Katchoo. That girl has a lot going on in her life.

Alarm Clocks, that running gag gets me every time.

I love all the dream sequence art. It's such a stark contrast to the regular art. It really sets the mood.

Francine loves David? That kind of came out of nowhere. I'll bet if she moves on David Katchoo will become very territorial. I think she is aware of that.

Well its not like David knows everything either. And if i was told some very sensitive info about Emma i might just say a sick friend of Katchoo's is in Canada..lets roll. Leave the rest to be sorted out between those two. David is pretty new to the crew, if i was him i'd stay out of those reveals as much as possible

Just started reading on the train this morning, got through Vol 1 #1-3. I'll read some more tonight to catch up, partly because I don't want to fall too far behind the reading schedule, and also because I quite like it and I want some more :)

So far so good. Interesting characters all, some quirky humour, and some nice art. I like that it's a little absurd (Katchoo shooting an alarm clock, Katchoo hanging Freddie naked in shop window) yet while still remaining grounded where it counts.

Francine clearly has a few self-esteem issues and seems a bit naive, Katchoo has some anger and unrequited love issues, and David seems like a sweet guy that is a little too earnest for his own good. Come on Dave, you gotta give up the "reading girls poetry" shtick a break by the time you're in your late 20s (I assume he's the same age as the girls?).

He is but even as big of an ass as Freddie was, he had some validity in how Francine was approaching the whole sexual aspect of their relationship. She was in her own way sabotaging it even if it wasn't her intention. Now that's no excuse for anything Freddie did, it just points to more of Francine's insecurities and self esteem issues
I wasn't too sympathetic towards Francine and Katchoo at first, as the disintegration of Francine and Freddie's relationship was not just because Freddie was a douche. Freddie was clearly selfish and not very considerate of Francine, but most of Katchoo's reaction was completely over the top and misdirected.

To be honest, as much as I like Francine and Katchoo, almost all the conflict so far has originated from them. Freddie might be a dick, but he wasn't to blame for anything that happened besides breaking Francine's heart, which while unforunate, doesn't make him the horrible person he's painted to be.

Now expecting backlash for being a "Freddie sympathiser" :)

Kipp

One thought reading that Tambi intro was how he shifted tones to a detective noir style. The dialogue, art style, etc all seemed to sift for a couple pages. Pretty cool

Yeah, I noticed that too. That was a great stylistic choice. In a similar vein, it's such a crazy contrast in style between the poems that Moore starts some of the issues with and the super informal (but very realistic) dialogue that makes up the rest of the comic.

Well its not like David knows everything either. And if i was told some very sensitive info about Emma i might just say a sick friend of Katchoo's is in Canada..lets roll. Leave the rest to be sorted out between those two. David is pretty new to the crew, if i was him i'd stay out of those reveals as much as possible

Yeah, definitely. I just inferred the situation incorrectly. David definitely did the right thing by not sharing that. In fact, when I inferred that, I was thinking to myself, "Katchoo wants David to break it to Francine that her best friend used to be a prostitute? Geez."
That way makes way more sense. Haha

The Katchoo and Emma stuff from a day or two ago was really fantastic. It has stuck with me. I don't know why buy I didn't expect those kinds of scenarios so early in this book nor did I expect the characters to be able to pull me in so early. But over the short time we spend with Katchoo and even more so Emma I developed some feelings for them. To have that taken away hurt. It must be absolutely soul crushing for Katchoo. That girl has a lot going on in her life.

Yeah, it's insane how in such a small number of issues you grow so close to the characters. Moore's doing some great work.

Kipp

Just started reading on the train this morning, got through Vol 1 #1-3. I'll read some more tonight to catch up, partly because I don't want to fall too far behind the reading schedule, and also because I quite like it and I want some more :)

To be honest, as much as I like Francine and Katchoo, almost all the conflict so far has originated from them. Freddie might be a dick, but he wasn't to blame for anything that happened besides breaking Francine's heart, which while unforunate, doesn't make him the horrible person he's painted to be.

Now expecting backlash for being a "Freddie sympathiser" :)

It's great to have you reading with us!

And while I'm still on Team Francine when it comes to the Francine vs. Freddie thing, I love reading your opposing view. I definitely see what you're talking about. Haha

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Vol. 2, #1-6 (especially #1-3)!

Messi

Are we to assume Freddie only shagged that girl once or was it going on for a while well before Francine caught them? I doubt it was once. The slimy Bastard.

Also sure Katchoo's reaction to him was way overboard but it is the reaction of someone who is trying to protect a best friend / someone she is madly in love with. She wasn't thinking rationally.

#TEAMKATCHOO to the end

Welcome spaceshark! And I understand where you're coming from a bit about Freddie. Which is why I touched on it some. However they were close to being 1 year together I will say I find it a bit unlikely that after this fight happened to be the ONE time he cheated on Francine. Especially how sex crazed he always seems. Plus scamming money in the side at work? Very sorry to do.

Freddie is just a great character to despise. I never hat him, he's not over the top villain. Just a sleaze.

Are we to assume Freddie only shagged that girl once or was it going on for a while well before Francine caught them? I doubt it was once. The slimy Bastard.

Also sure Katchoo's reaction to him was way overboard but it is the reaction of someone who is trying to protect a best friend / someone she is madly in love with. She wasn't thinking rationally.

#TEAMKATCHOO to the end
Oh, absolutely. It was overboard, but I can understand it. Katchoo is both in love with and very protective of Francine. Francine obviously has some self-esteem issues, and admitted to Freddie that she has spent a lot of her life trying the make men happy. It must be very frustrating for Katchoo to see the women she loves be treated this way, and still go back for more.

Welcome spaceshark! And I understand where you're coming from a bit about Freddie. Which is why I touched on it some. However they were close to being 1 year together I will say I find it a bit unlikely that after this fight happened to be the ONE time he cheated on Francine. Especially how sex crazed he always seems. Plus scamming money in the side at work? Very sorry to do.

Freddie is just a great character to despise. I never hat him, he's not over the top villain. Just a sleaze.
You and Messi make a good point. I hadn't thought that he had been cheating previously. I assumed that he was angry and frustrated with the relationship, so the first thing he did after breaking it off was to go get laid. However, even in this scenario, he hadn't actually broken up with Francine yet, just stormed out, so that's a dick move in itself.

So yeah, Freddie is a slime ball ha ha.

Man, I really need to catch up. I'm trying to selectively read posts so as not to spoil the next few issues.

Man, I really need to catch up. I'm trying to selectively read posts so as not to spoil the next few issues.
Only 6 issues back and the series reads fast for me. Also it's why I try to bold the issues in my recap to give people a heads up as they're jumping around the minefields.

And messi where is your crew of girly hijinks fans. You need to get zombine, cheska and freeza up to date and contributing!

Messi

Only 6 issues back and the series reads fast for me. Also it's why I try to bold the issues in my recap to give people a heads up as they're jumping around the minefields.

And messi where is your crew of girly hijinks fans. You need to get zombine, cheska and freeza up to date and contributing!

Dragon Age man. It's killing the girly hijinks crew.

Cheska

Been trying to read up this weekend. Had a holiday party but was able to make it through a few more issues this weekend.

Vol 2 1-3
damn talk about emotional! I love how we're getting some backstory on Katchoo. That last scene, wow, definitely felt my eyes stinging :(

All caught up now! Didn't take nearly as long as I thought - one lunch break, and one train ride home, and I was done. I'm going to have to space these out so I don't read too far ahead!

SiP Vol2 #1-3
Well, that's it for me. I'm in this until the end now. I'm not sure I have any thoughts on this that haven't been expressed in this thread already (great posts, guys and gals), but I really loved this arc.

* I really love that everyone looks real. Francine has put on some weight, but she's not fat. There's no caricature here, no exaggeration.
* Poor guy on aeroplane! Katchoo really did a number on him ha ha
* It feels a little contrived that David would be so close to Katchoo and Francine so quickly. I realise there's some time dilation going on (this seems to take place many months after Vol 1), but it still feels sudden. Maybe it's because I read Vol 1 and 2 so close together. Either way, I just brush it off as the story is good and I don't need to see every moment these characters experience to justify everything.
* A lot of revelations about Katchoo. Easy to see where a lot of her issues come from.
* A lot of secrets about Katchoo. The beginnings of a dark, mysterious past which is catching up with her.
* A beautiful relationship between Katchoo and Emma, established solidly and quickly. It's quite amazing how quickly I care about these characters.

SiP Vol2 #4-6

- Oh my goodnews, Francine's mother and uncle are hilarious. Her uncle especially. Very funny, and very true. Loved that issue.
- More details about the ruthless Darcy Parker. She almost kills the PI for letting Katchoo go. The 1811 booze is no good, must be the 1812. Just brutal. Also, some more hints about her relationship with Katchoo, as Katchoo has a dream where Darcy appears in her bed.
- Francine has a comically worst-case-scenario rendezvous with Freddie. So he's now engaged to a beautiful airhead aerobics instructor who is insulting even when trying to be nice, and they're getting married in Hawaii, naked under a waterfall. Because of course he is, and of course they are. "I hope they both drown" Me too, Francie, me too.
- The cartoony kids dream was adorable, and hit straight to the heart of it. Uh oh, further love triangle complications incoming.
- Man, Katchoo is really letting David have it. He seems remarkably non-chalant for someone who is being tugged up and down like a yo-yo. Katchoo even acknowledges this ("Y'know, you try to be so calm and casual about everything, but you got the beast in you! You can't hide it forever") which was a nice touch.
- Tambi looks a lot like Katchoo. I don't know if this is intentional or not.

Random thoughts
- Darcy Parker looks a lot like Sherilyn Fenn, circa Twin Peaks. Someone mentioned Twin Peaks earlier, so I thought that was interesting.
- Lots of alarm clocks.
- Lots of Bjork references.
- A Bjork alarm clock. SiP bingo!
- Again, someone else said this already, but Moore is so good at expressions. I can read so much from everyone's face, it's remarkable. I'm sure this helps in feeling so connected to these characters after only 9 issues.

Fave Francie moment:
f898bb2e44.jpg

I love the look on her face as she whistles to herself, simultaneously opening the syrup and ice cream container. A seasoned professional, she's done this before.

Fave David moment:
312062d647.jpg

LOL, he is so damn earnest I can't even believe it.

Fave Katchoo moment:
444aaa6ae9.jpg

As I said, so much said from just an expression. Beautiful.

I really doubt I'll be able to spend so much time writing these posts in the future, so I'll leave you with one last moment that really made me grin:

a928c9a4fb.jpg

"Well, I have ham or turkey" Ba-doom-tsh, Francine Peters everybody!

Kipp

Vol. 2, #7-9? Pretty sure it was 7-9. I really wish there were issue numbers. Oh well.

Anyways, wow! What a crazy, action-packed few issues. The first two of the three were just nuts, and then the third was a really nice, calm wrap-up issue (which is always my favorite type of issues. That last wrap-up issue of Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction and Brubaker was my favorite as well).

Just a few quick thoughts:

- I really enjoyed that quick little scene of Katchoo and the vodka bottle. In just one page (or maybe one and a bit of the next page. Can't remember) a whole new layer was added to Katchoo's character. That was a powerful scene.

- The David reveal, while crazy and shocking, lost quite a bit of its impact because I'm reading Strangers in Paradise after it's fully completed and I already know that David is one of the main characters of the whole comic. I mean, his face is on the slipcase/paperback. Since I know he's not going away, I know that the fact that he's Mrs. Parker's brother and was possibly a spy for her (or that's what was implied at the reveal, at least) wasn't going to be something totally earth shattering since he'd be back soon enough. Regardless, it was a pretty crazy twist that still shocked me a bit and I really enjoyed what happened after, with David showing that he genuinely did care for them. And he gave Katchoo that house. That was really heartwarming.

- I find it absolutely crazy/awesome that Moore can so seamlessly switch between sitcom and thriller. Like, who could imagine that these first two issues from today's reading were in the same comic as that issue with the mom and uncle visiting? The variety is brilliant, and a lot like real life, since in real life things aren't portioned off into different genres.

- When I first ran into that giant wall of text, I groaned inwardly, because there's nothing worse than a wall of text when you're reading a comic book. However, Moore did a fantastic job in those text sections. It almost lost nothing compared to the comic. I could imagine everything that was happening perfectly due to how well he described it. He chose the moments to use that form of writing wisely. Those scenes would have been way too text heavy and would've crowded out the pictures anyways. Really well done.

- That scene with Freddie and Chuck was too good.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'll think of more. Those were a great three issues. As they have been from the beginning. Haha

Edit: Also, in regards to the fallout from the David reveal, I'm really glad that it finally brought Katchoo and Francine back to being super close best friends again. That was great to see.

Kipp

All caught up now! Didn't take nearly as long as I thought - one lunch break, and one train ride home, and I was done. I'm going to have to space these out so I don't read too far ahead!

- More details about the ruthless Darcy Parker. She almost kills the PI for letting Katchoo go. The 1811 booze is no good, must be the 1812. Just brutal. Also, some more hints about her relationship with Katchoo, as Katchoo has a dream where Darcy appears in her bed.

a928c9a4fb.jpg

"Well, I have ham or turkey" Ba-doom-tsh, Francine Peters everybody!

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts!

That comment about Darcy Parker reminded me (and this is regarding issues 7-9, so don't keep reading this unless you're caught up by now!) of that scene in today's reading where Mrs. Parker beats down Samantha and then gives her her orders AND THEN tells her that "You've looked better" or something along those lines. Just BRUTAL.

And also, those two panels are just pure gold. I love Katchoo's face when she says "Oh, FRANCINE!" Brilliant. There was so much brilliance in that scene.

Also reminded me that there was one moment in particular in today's readings where the faces Moore drew communicated SO MUCH. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was, but it stood out even in comparison to his usual excellency in that area.

I'm 1 issue behind schedule, but I'll have a write up on the last 6ish issues tonight! Yay, book club.

Woo! Looking forward to it!

I can't find my first two books, ugh

I redid a shelf :D

That is so awesome! Really nice!
I really want those Francine and Katchoo busts...

Someone likes SiP a lot.

How old are the busts? I haven't seen anything like that so I'm guessing oooooooold.

No way. There's one in stock for a pretty low price on Amazon. With Prime.

Edit: Oh my goodness. These exist as well: 1 2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom