• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are the Mega Man games on Game Boy?

EdgeXL

I never played them back in the day because I thought the Game Boy screen was terrible for action-platformers. For some reason I never got back to those games either.

Now I see that Mega Man 2, 3 and 4 are on sale in the 3DS eShop. Any of these games must plays?

SoulUnison

Banned
Mega Man is too big!

Seriously, though, he takes up too much of the screen and it makes avoiding obstacles mostly a crapshoot.

I remember really enjoying GB MM5, though. (The one with the Space Robots.)

maxcriden

I know that 2 is supposed to be the worst of these. I think I've heard good things about the rest bit i havent played any if them. I think the sale ends tonight so if you don't get a lot if replies today I'd recommend checking out Nintendo Life's reviews for these games, they have reviews if all the VC stuff and they usually seem to be in line with fan consensus.

aett

4 is basically a remix of the NES 4 and 5, but with some new stuff and is overall better than the originals.

5 is the only completely unique MM GB game and is easily the best one.

1 is just ok, 2 is sorta mediocre and too easy, 3 is decent but feels needlessly hard at times, and 4 and 5 are legit good.

I would also recommend Mega Man 5 on the GB. It's the most unique classic Mega Man game out there in my opinion. Really great game.

The OST is fantastic as well.

Balb

For the current price on the eShop I think it's worth picking up 3 and 4. I'd only get 2 if you're a huge Mega Man fan who has to experience every game in the series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
1 is just ok, 2 is sorta mediocre and too easy, 3 is decent but feels needlessly hard at times, and 4 and 5 are legit good.
I gotta agree with this. Heck, I was reading the MM25 Official Complete Works that I just got & even Inafune himself agreed that II didn't turn out so good. It's not BAD by any means, but it's so easy and just left no impressions on me. I think the most I recall was the final stage music being decently catchy.

I'm a huge Mega Man fan, and I can confirm that 3, 4, and 5 on GB are absolutely fantastic. 2-4 are like mash-ups of the NES game with the same number and the next Nes one. For example, Mega Man 3 GB has 4 bosses from Mega Man 3 and 4 bosses from Mega Man 4. Mega Man 5 GB is a completely new, original experience.

2 is the weakest of the GB games. It can be beaten in about 20 minutes, and the game is so bad that Keji Inafune has actually apologized for even making it. It is only worth it if you are a huge fan, like myself, and want to experience it, knowing it's bad.

TreIII

If you can only pick one? V is easily the best of the lot.

You even get
Bonus Fights against the "Mega Man Hunters", Enker, Quint, Punk and Ballade from the previous games. Not to mention that Wily isn't the last boss, for once!

Syril

You can't go wrong with 4 and 5. 4 is just really solid and has a lot of level designs from its NES counterparts changed for the better, plus it introduced the item shop. 5 is totally original and actually switches up the basic formula by giving you a rocket punch instead of a charge shot. Some of the weapons are pretty creative, like a weak shot that makes life ups fly out of enemies you hit with it.

I gotta agree with this. Heck, I was reading the MM25 Official Complete Works that I just got & even Inafune himself agreed that II didn't turn out so good. It's not BAD by any means, but it's so easy and just left no impressions on me. I think the most I recall was the final stage music being decently catchy.
II was made by a different developer than the other four who didn't have experience with the Game Boy or with Mega Man and was also given a ridiculous deadline. The music actually had decent compositions, but the instrumentation was ear-piercing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mega Man 1 is pretty good, and V is pretty good. Those are the ones I own.

Honestly, they're all pretty solid. I played through all the NES games growing up as a kid, I never touched the GameBoy games. So only recently have I played them, and I enjoyed them. It's nothing amazing - but it's a "fresh" Mega Man experience because I never played them.

Boogiepop

IV and V are the big ones, with V being a straight up must-play. III's also absolutely worth a look in my mind, but you could skip it if you're not too much into the series. II is terrible, and I isn't especially worth it unless you're looking to go all in, IMO.

Top Bottom