• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to become a level designer?

Actually go out of your way and make levels. Many games have level editors, showcase them. If you can do a lot of it as a hobby you'll be able to have fun while it's a job.

Make levels, and if possible get into a team so you can make the levels match a theme as well, which is far harder than just making anything on the fly.

Any forums in particular you would recommend?

Wow thank you for taking the time to respond. For number 3 are there any specific forums you would recommend? Thanks again for your help. It means a lot.

Recently visit MapCore a lot. It has lots of features where they interview their members (lots of them work at big studios) or talk about level design (most recent one being a 3 part TLoU piece), and also have challenges (Q3 15th Anniversary contest for ex).

Maybe look into the CSGO community map-making stuff or Portal 2 puzzle maker as a good place to start. The Source Engine, though terrible by modern engine standards, has some great simple tools to build levels within. Same with Q3A stuff or old Unreal. Basically most designers my age and above come from a lineage of primarily making maps for BSP engine-based shooters.

Yeah, this was one of the most apparent thing about MC. Lots of GO stuff and when Source 2 "came out" there were sentiments that hopefully the old tools and BSP won't go away. I was like "What? I thought people had enough of those already."

DanSaxon

Some great advice so far. I'd definitely suggest picking up UE4. It's a pretty great engine and you can cancel your sub and legally keep that version of the engine forever.

Get to grips with the engine, follow tutorials to familiarise yourself with the basic tools. You don't want your ideas to be held back by constant googling when you can help it. Definitely then dive in and just create, iterate, evaluate, repeat. Definitely do some reading though, there are some good resources out there on Gamasutra, WorldOfLevelDesign, level-design.org etc. Hope some of this helps..

This is the best advice.

I can't sleep! :D

This isn't though.

Apenheul

Next to what's already been said you should be able to tell your future employee what kind of level designer you are. I'm not a level designer myself but I'm often involved with hiring new people and the question I'm most interested in is often: "What does 'good level design' mean to you?".

There's not necessarily a right or wrong answer here, but being able to explain this provides guidance to how you present yourself as a professional and the activities you can do to improve your skills. So for example, if your answer is something along the lines of "good level design promotes immersion and storytelling" you're coming from a different perspective than if your answer is "good level design provides opportunities for players to test their skills". Nintendo is probably looking for different types of level designers than Ubisoft Montreal. Also, don't force yourself to be the type of level designer that you don't want to be, the most important thing is that what you're doing inspires you and gives you energy.

The thing is, if you have a strong vision on level design you're more likely to grow into a lead position. You can convey how a level should work and what needs to be done in order to achieve that. If you can't explain what good level design is then better be prepared to be the guy/girl who puts the trees on the map when all the interesting things have already happened.

To train your skills, try to create some levels in any (preferably PC-based, as it's easier to demonstrate during job-interviews) engine/editor that clearly demonstrate your vision on level design. Like so many things in the creative industries it's a life-long learning process so always be open to new ideas and insights. IMO the right mindset for a job interview is that you're bringing something personal.

bGanci

Banned
Next to what's already been said you should be able to tell your future employee what kind of level designer you are. I'm not a level designer myself but I'm often involved with hiring new people and the question I'm most interested in is often: "What does 'good level design' mean to you?".

There's not necessarily a right or wrong answer here, but being able to explain this provides guidance to how you present yourself as a professional and the activities you can do to improve your skills. So for example, if your answer is something along the lines of "good level design promotes immersion and storytelling" you're coming from a different perspective than if your answer is "good level design provides opportunities for players to test their skills". Nintendo is probably looking for different types of level designers than Ubisoft Montreal. Also, don't force yourself to be the type of level designer that you don't want to be, the most important thing is that what you're doing inspires you and gives you energy.

The thing is, if you have a strong vision on level design you're more likely to grow into a lead position. You can convey how a level should work and what needs to be done in order to achieve that. If you can't explain what good level design is then better be prepared to be the guy/girl who puts the trees on the map when all the interesting things have already happened.

To train your skills, try to create some levels in any (preferably PC-based, as it's easier to demonstrate during job-interviews) engine/editor that clearly demonstrate your vision on level design. Like so many things in the creative industries it's a life-long learning process so always be open to new ideas and insights. IMO the right mindset for a job interview is that you're bringing something personal.

Thanks!

Hindl

Architecture & psychology.

One of the best answers in this thread. Yes, studying game levels and recreating them is a vital part. But this is also true. Start looking in to city plans and layout, and see how that gives each city it's own identity. Also look at how older films used to build their sets to evoke certain emotions from the viewer. There's a ton of things to learn about level design from real-world examples

Top Bottom