• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

crowphoenix
rising from soot, not ashes
(01-20-2009, 08:46 PM)
crowphoenix's Avatar
This is the bitching thread. In time, this one will die. But we got the new one because this one became too convoluted, so we just moved that convolution to the new thread.
Iam Canadian
and have the worst user name EVER
(01-20-2009, 08:47 PM)

Originally Posted by crowphoenix

As I was playing it at work (Weekend shift. I'm the only one there.), I didn't get to watch all of the credits roll. But I beat the 4 part boss, which was a bitch, and collapsed the island. I managed to save Sue, and we both jumped from the island only to be caught by her brother.

...Yeah, you'll be wanting to play it again. ;) The way to get the true final area, boss, and ending is really convoluted and unintuitive, so you'll probably need a guide.

Originally Posted by crowphoenix

Also, I noticed I could power up my original gun again late in the game. Is it actually better than the machine gun? That hover ability at level 3 is amazing.

There are three weapons you can trade the Polar Star for. The first is, of course, the Machine Gun, which is your second-best option. You can get the Snake in the Labyrinth by trading the Polar Star and the Fireball to the cockroach running the shop. The Snake fires shots that wiggle up and down erratically and travel through walls. It's pretty useless and you're trading in two weapons for it, so don't bother.

However, if you bring the Polar Star back to the weaponsmith (where you got it at the start of the game) after completing the Labyrinth, you get the Spur, which is by far the best weapon in the game; instead of relying on weapon power-ups, it's chargeable, and its fully-charged shot is one of the strongest attacks you can get. It's almost mandatory for the hellish final area.
tetrisgrammaton
Member
(01-20-2009, 08:52 PM)
but this thread gets an awesome new title every week
crowphoenix
rising from soot, not ashes
(01-20-2009, 08:53 PM)
crowphoenix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iam Canadian

...Yeah, you'll be wanting to play it again. ;) The way to get the true final area, boss, and ending is really convoluted and unintuitive, so you'll probably need a guide.



There are three weapons you can trade the Polar Star for. The first is, of course, the Machine Gun, which is your second-best option. You can get the Snake in the Labyrinth by trading the Polar Star and the Fireball to the cockroach running the shop. The Snake fires shots that wiggle up and down erratically and travel through walls. It's pretty useless and you're trading in two weapons for it, so don't bother.

However, if you bring the Polar Star back to the weaponsmith (where you got it at the start of the game) after completing the Labyrinth, you get the Spur, which is by far the best weapon in the game; instead of relying on weapon power-ups, it's chargeable, and its fully-charged shot is one of the strongest attacks you can get. It's almost mandatory for the hellish final area.

I already want to play it again. The ending I got was actually very satisfying, so it's nice to know there is an even better one.
Johnas
Member
(01-20-2009, 09:01 PM)

Originally Posted by crowphoenix

I already want to play it again. The ending I got was actually very satisfying, so it's nice to know there is an even better one.

I just went through Cave Story again this weekend. Still an instant classic.

Are you familiar with the extra dungeon? It's pretty insane. You'll probably have to look up the conditions to get there, it'd be fairly difficult to meet all the criteria on your own without knowing, imo. It's awesome though, and very much worth finishing. Just be patient. ;)

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

but this provides me an excuse to post my graphics comparison

[IMG]http://i41.************/16a8rwy.gif[/IMG]

This deserves posting again. I wasn't going to bite on the WiiWare version (don't have my consoles online) but I'm now strongly reconsidering.

Quote looks really sharp in the remake.
nyprimus2
Member
(01-21-2009, 03:26 AM)
Thinking about selling my 360 and getting a Wii. Where is Turtles in Time?
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(01-21-2009, 03:29 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar
Why would you do that? Selling systems never made any sense since you'll end up buying it again down the road.
crowphoenix
rising from soot, not ashes
(01-21-2009, 03:45 AM)
crowphoenix's Avatar

Originally Posted by nyprimus2

Thinking about selling my 360 and getting a Wii. Where is Turtles in Time?

I wouldn't recommend it. It'll be awhile before anything new and good comes out, and by then you can have saved up the slow way. Then you have both systems and no regrets.
Wizpig
Member
(01-21-2009, 08:38 PM)
Wizpig's Avatar
So we finally know what this http://pole.sega.jp/ is, thanks to the scans.
Is there an official thread already?
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
(01-21-2009, 08:43 PM)
Danthrax's Avatar

Originally Posted by crowphoenix

I wouldn't recommend it. It'll be awhile before anything new and good comes out, and by then you can have saved up the slow way. Then you have both systems and no regrets.

February and March, as well as the sizable backlog of good games the Wii has built up, say hi.

That said, I don't think anyone should sell their consoles because they'll probably end up wanting to play them again down the road. Especially the 360, which still has quite a few good days ahead of it.
DeaconKnowledge
Banned
(01-21-2009, 08:43 PM)
DeaconKnowledge's Avatar
Why are there two Wiiware/VC Threads?
crowphoenix
rising from soot, not ashes
(01-21-2009, 08:45 PM)
crowphoenix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Danthrax

February and March, as well as the sizable backlog of good games the Wii has built up, say hi.

That said, I don't think anyone should sell their consoles because they'll probably end up wanting to play them again down the road. Especially the 360, which still has quite a few good days ahead of it.

What's out in February?

And I didn't say the Wii has no good games nor did I say none were coming. All I said was that there was time to save and not regret selling a system.
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
(01-21-2009, 09:12 PM)
Danthrax's Avatar

Originally Posted by crowphoenix

What's out in February?

And I didn't say the Wii has no good games nor did I say none were coming. All I said was that there was time to save and not regret selling a system.

Well you said there wouldn't be any good games coming out for a while, but good games actually come out next month. I also wanted to make the point that there are already a ton of good games on Wii that he could buy in the meantime while he waits for new games to come out. If he's talking about buying a Wii, he presumably hasn't played many or any of the games already out.

BTW, February is the launch month for Little King's Story, Tenchu 4, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Deadly Creatures. Things are looking pretty good.

Also, March holds in store Broken Sword, MadWorld, Rune Factory Frontier, Sonic and the Black Knight, We Ski, and the Wii controls versions of Mario Power Tennis and Pikmin. So those are all right around the corner as well.
DavidDayton
(more a nerd than a geek)
(01-21-2009, 09:47 PM)
DavidDayton's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeaconKnowledge

Why are there two Wiiware/VC Threads?

One is the cool, hip thread for all the crusty old folks who have been chatting about the Virtual Console for the past two years and Wii Ware for the past year.

The other is the brash young thread for all the whippersnappers indulging in DSi, Wii Ware, and Virtual Console discussion.
Kobun Heat
コブン41号
ドリンキー子犬倶楽部
(01-21-2009, 09:51 PM)
Kobun Heat's Avatar
So I found CONTRA: HARD CORPS at a thrift store for $3 today

Thrift Store > Virtual Console, confirmed.
Dave Long
Banned
(01-21-2009, 10:03 PM)
Dave Long's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kobun Heat

So I found CONTRA: HARD CORPS at a thrift store for $3 today

Thrift Store > Virtual Console, confirmed.

Wow. That's a pretty decent find. Nice savings over eBay at least.
DavidDayton
(more a nerd than a geek)
(01-21-2009, 10:50 PM)
DavidDayton's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kobun Heat

So I found CONTRA: HARD CORPS at a thrift store for $3 today

Thrift Store > Virtual Console, confirmed.

Pfft. I found one selling a copy of Resident Evil 4 for just $9.99, and Wind Waker for the same price.
crowphoenix
rising from soot, not ashes
(01-22-2009, 11:08 PM)
crowphoenix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Danthrax

Well you said there wouldn't be any good games coming out for a while, but good games actually come out next month. I also wanted to make the point that there are already a ton of good games on Wii that he could buy in the meantime while he waits for new games to come out. If he's talking about buying a Wii, he presumably hasn't played many or any of the games already out.

BTW, February is the launch month for Little King's Story, Tenchu 4, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Deadly Creatures. Things are looking pretty good.

Also, March holds in store Broken Sword, MadWorld, Rune Factory Frontier, Sonic and the Black Knight, We Ski, and the Wii controls versions of Mario Power Tennis and Pikmin. So those are all right around the corner as well.

I probably could have phrased myself better, but I was referring to the next batch of good games being out in March when I told him to wait. I did not know about the February releases, of which I am really looking forward to House of the Dead, so I stand corrected.
Iam Canadian
and have the worst user name EVER
(01-23-2009, 12:15 AM)
Honestly, I'm probably the Nintendo fan that's most disdainful of the Wii's retail library, but even I have to admit that there are a few promising-looking titles on the horizon, namely Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment 2, and Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Also, speaking of Contra, why on Earth haven't we gotten the original NES Contra or Hard Corps yet? I know Konami doesn't always release game series in chronological order on VC (after all, we got Super Castlevania IV before any of the others), but the lack of the original Contra just baffles me. You'd think we'd have at least gotten ESRB ratings by this point.
Jiggy
Got lost looking for
a hentai sim forum
(01-23-2009, 03:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Iam Canadian

Also, speaking of Contra, why on Earth haven't we gotten the original NES Contra or Hard Corps yet? I know Konami doesn't always release game series in chronological order on VC (after all, we got Super Castlevania IV before any of the others), but the lack of the original Contra just baffles me. You'd think we'd have at least gotten ESRB ratings by this point.

It didn't occur to me until you mentioned this, but now I'm just hoping that Hudson ceasing their non-Japan VC output was their own decision and not handed down from their parent company.

(And yes, I know: Castlevania III just recently. But as we know when it comes to NOA and VC releases, that could have been in queue for months now.)
mosaic
go eat paint
(01-24-2009, 02:59 PM)
mosaic's Avatar
Man, I am SO PISSED!!

SO ANGRY!!

LIVID!!

I'm in the right thread for bitching, right??

Anyway, I just discovered MUSHA came out for Virtual Console. First off, neither Virtual Console thread made much mention of that. Shame on you all!

Secondly, and the thing that really shits in my cereal, I just spent my last 800 Wii points on it.

FUCK!!

Now I have to play that lovely excuse for a shoot-em-up!! I haven't used my Wii in months. The system update took like 20 minutes. But now I'm playing it again! I don't have time for this!

Thanks a lot, Sega... thanks a lot....
GotchaForce
Member
(01-24-2009, 03:15 PM)
GotchaForce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kobun Heat

So I found CONTRA: HARD CORPS at a thrift store for $3 today

Thrift Store > Virtual Console, confirmed.

you bastard:lol
EphemeralDream
Member
(01-24-2009, 03:45 PM)
EphemeralDream's Avatar

Originally Posted by mosaic

Man, I am SO PISSED!!

SO ANGRY!!

LIVID!!

I'm in the right thread for bitching, right??

Anyway, I just discovered MUSHA came out for Virtual Console. First off, neither Virtual Console thread made much mention of that. Shame on you all!

Secondly, and the thing that really shits in my cereal, I just spent my last 800 Wii points on it.

FUCK!!

Now I have to play that lovely excuse for a shoot-em-up!! I haven't used my Wii in months. The system update took like 20 minutes. But now I'm playing it again! I don't have time for this!

Thanks a lot, Sega... thanks a lot....

You shouldn't have updated dude :(
mosaic
go eat paint
(01-24-2009, 03:59 PM)
mosaic's Avatar

Originally Posted by EphemeralDream

You shouldn't have updated dude :(

Why? Anything broken about it apart from the stuff they always put in to deter homebrew haxxors? I barely use the machine as it is.
Naked Snake
Member
(01-26-2009, 09:33 AM)
Naked Snake's Avatar
If/when my Wii bites the dust, what happens to all the VC games I bought? Surely there is a way to download them on a new Wii without paying for them again, right? Right?
Nuclear Muffin
Banned
(01-26-2009, 09:37 AM)
Nuclear Muffin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Naked Snake

If/when my Wii bites the dust, what happens to all the VC games I bought? Surely there is a way to download them on a new Wii without paying for them again, right? Right?

Send it in to Nintendo and they'll transfer all of your downloads (Wii Ware, VC, DLC) Save files and Miis to a new machine.
cvxfreak
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
(01-26-2009, 09:53 AM)
cvxfreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragona Akehi

Why would you do that? Selling systems never made any sense since you'll end up buying it again down the road.

...well, this thread should underscore how compelled I was to sell my pre-GC Nintendo systems (or at least attempt to).
Jiggy
Got lost looking for
a hentai sim forum
(01-26-2009, 10:16 AM)

Originally Posted by mosaic

Anyway, I just discovered MUSHA came out for Virtual Console. First off, neither Virtual Console thread made much mention of that. Shame on you all!

20 posts aren't enough? :P Lots of us were delighted that day.
disappeared
Member
(01-26-2009, 10:28 AM)
disappeared's Avatar

Originally Posted by beelzebozo

i'm still waiting on:

- blast corps
- duck tales 1&2
- quackshot

and, in fantasy-land, hoping they'll pick up dreamcast as a platform and put some stuff like toy commander up. but that's a pipe dream.

I would pay full retail price for a Toy Commander update/remake with online play. Christ, would that be a fuckin' rush. By far one of the best multiplayer games on the DC.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(01-26-2009, 11:20 AM)
Andrex's Avatar
Let's go Suma Bros let's go! *clap clap*
pakkit
Member
(01-26-2009, 12:54 PM)
pakkit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrex

Let's go Suma Bros let's go! *clap clap*

Let's go cool indie WiiWare games or Majora's Mask! *clap clap*
Rlan
Member
(01-26-2009, 01:01 PM)
Rlan's Avatar
Jan. 26, 2009

You'll find plenty of monsters in your midst this week, courtesy of the Wii™ Shop Channel. A brand new WiiWare™ game invites you to battle an army of deceptively cute creatures, while a classic Virtual Console™ release pits players against ferocious foes and fire-breathing dragons. Think you've got what it takes to defeat these outrageous beasts? Grab a Wii Remote™ controller and get busy.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Niki - Rock 'n' Ball (Bplus, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): Are you in love with those unforgettable arcade classics where the only goal is to vanquish all opponents to reach the next stage? Niki - Rock 'n' Ball is a new interpretation of those games with a completely innovative and unique gaming mechanism. Roll along with Niki through fantastic worlds, find all the ZeLeLi pearls, and liberate your village from cuddly-yet-evil monsters before it's too late. Timing is everything. Jump in the nick of time to avoid landing amid barbs. Hop across the stages thanks to the realistic gaming physics. Snap on the ZeLeLi amulet, transform yourself into Niki Rock, and force even the most obstinate monster to its knees. Explore all the stages and win valuable medals while dribbling through them, alone or with a friend. Use familiar controls in Retro style, or experience novel controls in the Wii style.

Virtual Console

Wonder Boy™ in Monster Land™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Alcohol Reference, Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): After the defeat of the evil king, the kingdom of Wonder Land was a paradise…for a time. The peace was broken when a ferocious, fire-breathing dragon struck without warning and took over Wonder Land with a swarm of evil, monstrous henchmen, turning the once-peaceful land into the utterly chaotic Monster Land. Unable to fight, the people now look to Wonder Boy. Realizing that he is Wonder Land's last hope, Wonder Boy sets out on an incredible journey to rid the country of the monsters and defeat the "invincible" evil dragon. Guide Wonder Boy through various environments and dungeons, and defeat enemies using Special Weapons and Spells.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(01-26-2009, 01:05 PM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rlan

Jan. 26, 2009

You'll find plenty of crap in your midst this week, courtesy of the Wii™ Shop Channel.

Fixed.
crowphoenix
rising from soot, not ashes
(01-26-2009, 01:06 PM)
crowphoenix's Avatar
Well, alright then.
PepsimanVsJoe
(01-26-2009, 01:07 PM)
PepsimanVsJoe's Avatar
Whoa now Monster Land is a cool game. If mainly for the inexplicably huge number of secrets you'll completely miss out on without a guide.

At least we're not getting a game that has been rendered obsolete by its' sequels(this week at least).
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(01-26-2009, 01:18 PM)
Teknoman's Avatar
How about some Super Adventure Island 1.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(01-26-2009, 01:24 PM)
Stumpokapow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plinko

Fixed.

Actually, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is solid and WiiWare-World gave Niki Rock 'n' Ball an 8/10 emphasizing that it's a great buy for 500 points...

... but whatever, it's not whatever AAA game you were waiting for, so complain away.
Capndrake
Member
(01-26-2009, 01:33 PM)
Capndrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teknoman

How about some Super Adventure Island 1.

I like the way you think.

But Hudson isn't releasing any more VC games outside Japan.
Jazzem
Member
(01-26-2009, 01:33 PM)
Jazzem's Avatar
As a recent newcomer to Monster Land, I highly recommend it. Just remember that you only have one life with no continues, and only the occasional recovery potion :D

Niki's one I've been considering getting for a while now, but I really want to see more reviews before I plunge in.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(01-26-2009, 01:38 PM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Actually, Wonder Boy in Monster Land is solid and WiiWare-World gave Niki Rock 'n' Ball an 8/10 emphasizing that it's a great buy for 500 points...

... but whatever, it's not whatever AAA game you were waiting for, so complain away.

My disappointment has nothing to do with AAA titles. I could care less about Smash Bros. (although I never got to play Majora's Mask and would like to).

The disappointment comes from the fact that Nintendo seems set on this 1 VC game a week policy which is garbage when you think about how many systems they have on there.

Neo-geo
Genesis
Master System
NES
SNES
N64

6 systems with packed game catalogs, and they're releasing 1 a week. I get why they do it from a business standpoint (the longer the Wii stays popular, the more games they need to stretch out the service over a longer period of time), but it's disappointing from a fan's point of view.
Wii Will Rock U
Banned
(01-26-2009, 01:40 PM)
Well my buddy was right about the 1 VC game thing but it certainly was not Smash Bros. For the better I suppose because Monster Land rules.
borghe
Loves the Greater Toronto Area
(01-26-2009, 01:40 PM)
borghe's Avatar
sweet! Monster Land was always a game that I NEVER saw in the stores and the used shops around us never carried SMS games. Insta-buy.
2DMention
Banned
(01-26-2009, 01:49 PM)
My heart almost stopped when I read:

Niki - Rock 'n' Ball

Thinking it was the old NES pinball game.
It isn't.
Epic fail.
SonicMegaDrive
(01-26-2009, 02:34 PM)
SonicMegaDrive's Avatar
Hudson, you were like...a brother to me.

And now...this. This thing you have done.

You disgrace me.
levious
That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
(01-26-2009, 02:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Capndrake

I like the way you think.

But Hudson isn't releasing any more VC games outside Japan.


what happened?
Capndrake
Member
(01-26-2009, 02:46 PM)
Capndrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by levious

what happened?

WiiWare happened.
FFantasyFX
Member
(01-26-2009, 02:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Capndrake

But Hudson isn't releasing any more VC games outside Japan.

If the process was described correctly earlier in this thread (platform holder licenses games from 3rd parties and then does all the grunt work in getting them on the VC), Hudson's NES & SNES titles should still be fair game. Nintendo would have licensed Hudson's NES & SNES offerings lock, stock, and barrel and should be able to tap in to them. Indeed, it might be a good time to start mining those titles if there really won't be any TurboGrafx-16 games for a while. Unless you have some reason to believe that Hudson is going to block Nintendo from releasing their NES & SNES games, Capndrake?
Capndrake
Member
(01-26-2009, 02:53 PM)
Capndrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by FFantasyFX

Unless you have some reason to believe that Hudson is going to block Nintendo from releasing their NES & SNES games, Capndrake?

They told me they have no more plans to publish any games on VC in the foreseeable future to concentrate on WiiWare. That includes all VC platforms.
PepsimanVsJoe
(01-26-2009, 03:02 PM)
PepsimanVsJoe's Avatar
I totally just want to scream. Like right now in the middle of work at the next person who calls.

Honestly Hudson what gives? All I want is Rondo and Dungeon Explorer 2.
SonicMegaDrive
(01-26-2009, 03:11 PM)
SonicMegaDrive's Avatar
I want my Adventure Island sequels. :(

And more Bomberman would be nice.

Thread Tools