• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Swapper

BkMogul

This is very strange since I bought it on PC months ago and never played it, but when it was free on Plus, I immediately started it on my Vita. I guess I can only play certain titles on PC.

Oh, and it's pretty good as well.

inm8num2

Easily one of the best puzzle platformers of the past few years. It had all the elements of a complete gaming experience - puzzles, story, atmosphere, etc.

hydruxo

I was waiting for it to come to PS4 for ages to finally try it, so I was stoked when I got it for free from PS+. The atmosphere & clay aesthetic is incredible.

xinek

Really loving the unique gameplay and the whole style. A lot of the PS+ games for PS4 have been busts for me, but I'm really enjoying this one.

pastrami

Great game. None of the puzzles were particularly difficult, but the atmosphere was top notch. The one slight issue I had was the open ended level design, which felt unnecessary. The game is very linear, so having warp gates everywhere felt like overkill.

Played the Vita version which was pretty solid. Some slow down, but since it's not a fast paced game, I wasn't bothered by it.

I played it for a while after getting it on PS+. It's not altogether unique as I've seen a lot of the puzzle mechanics in other games like Toki Tori or Cloning Clyde but they do a good job with it. It starts out easy but eventually I got to some puzzles that just felt like work so I quit. The story is absolutely barebones and was nothing to press on for, IMO.

EDIT - I guess I should say the story is what you make of it. There's not much there but some text logs and some minor in-game cutscenes. If you want to "get into it" I'm sure you'd have a good time. I was just bored.

Gaugin

Neo Member
I reviewed this when it came out, absolutely love this game.
Will replay it this weekend thanks to this thread

jb1234

I need to return to this. I'm about a third of the way through it, I think. Very atmospheric but man, I suck at the puzzles. :(

Helmholtz

Solid game. Really well executed concept and visual style. Story is pretty simple but still pretty effective.
Some of the puzzles later in the game were pretty darn tough. But I feel that overall the game's difficulty is at a good level. Usually when I was about ready to give up on a puzzle I'd figure out the solution.

It was one of my favorite games last year and now I'm actually having a fun time replaying it with a friend over share play (its been long enough I don't remember the puzzle solutions). Feeling almost like Portal 2 coop, even though its not really coop, just figuring out puzzles together. If you aren't gonna submerge yourself in the set and setting, then I recommend that as another good way of playing it. Thank you Sony for that neat feature.

When I first played it, I didn't even really follow the literal story much. I was just completely wrapped up in the atmosphere, the creepy, abstract, poetic messages from the rocks, and the whole concept of making clones of myself and getting them (me) killed or left behind to move forward. I remember the first time you swap you have to leave your original body down in a pit and I just sat there looking at it, trapped forever, for several minutes with a hole in my stomach. I nearly cried, it had such an effect on me. And that feeling kept with me through the whole game, so while I wasn't really following the story told through the computer logs, I was processing philosophical and metaphysical ideas in my mind brought out by this game.

And the ending is just... beautiful. That part really did make me cry.

Have this on my Vita and Ps4 ready to play but after reading through this thread I think I'll boot up my Vita version asap and give it a try. It sounds amazing. I love games that are full of atmosphere.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm really enjoying this. I hope there's some DLC or some way to reimburse the developers. I think they've done a fine job.

That's a bit too much, some are pretty absurdly hidden, while others are actually not that hard to find.

Even the 'easy' to find ones, you would have to practically try to teleport into every wall in sight to have a chance of finding even one.
The most obvious so far was behind the
electric ball of death

Grinchy

Banned
I just finished the game. I loved every bit of it. There was a puzzle or two I got stuck on for longer than I should have been stuck, but they were all very fair and creative. This was just such a cool game.

The trophies are a load of shit, though.

Grinchy

Banned
I really struggled with a lot of the later puzzles. Am I an idiot? Had to use a guide on a few.

Definitely not an idiot. I struggled a lot on some, so I'd leave and come back to them later (and get them in minutes). I forced myself to avoid a guide, but I can definitely see why someone would use one.

Very pretty game. Kinda feels like a polished Littlebig Planet mod (and I am saying that as a compliment) - especially the graphics and the jumping physics.

Any idea why this game is not only missing from my country's store but also I got no alternative free game with my PS+ subscription this month?

SerTapTap

Playing the game again and enjoying the second play more than expected--some of the dialog/story bits really only make proper sense after finishing once. Remote play experience is pretty much perfect, wish all PS4 games had RP this good. Of course, there's a native Vita version, but it's still awesome.

I really struggled with a lot of the later puzzles. Am I an idiot? Had to use a guide on a few.

No, some of the very last set are very difficult IMO.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing the game again and enjoying the second play more than expected--some of the dialog/story bits really only make proper sense after finishing once.

One of my biggest problems with the game right now(going through my first play currently). The narrative has zero hooks right now given how vague and obtuse the dialogue is, clearly devised to be sussed out after some revelations or fundamental explanations that is entirely lacking in the early moments. It's a trend in certain games that really bugs me. Be vague, but at least provide a bit of grounded development to engage the player first!

If not for the puzzle rooms, I would have dropped this pretty quick. But even then, I just don't care and the game has provided little reason to as of yet.

SerTapTap

One of my biggest problems with the game right now(going through my first play currently). The narrative has zero hooks right now given how vague and obtuse the dialogue is, clearly devised to be sussed out after some revelations or fundamental explanations that is entirely lacking in the early moments. It's a trend in certain games that really bugs me. Be vague, but at least provide a bit of grounded development to engage the player first!

If not for the puzzle rooms, I would have dropped this pretty quick. But even then, I just don't care and the game has provided little reason to as of yet.

The atmosphere, confusion and implicit horror are all big parts of it. But at the same time it is not and would not work as a narrative driven game. All I can really say is pay attention and focus on progressing.

I personally think the narrative and twists are pretty sweet, but whether you agree or not they would fundamentally not work if they were explained up front (the story would also last about 5-10 minutes of entirely too forward dialog). The puzzles and uneasy atmosphere are the primary thing to appreciate anyway.

Got this on the WiiU before Christmas and I instantly fell in love with it. Amazing Atmosphere, great use of the Gamepad without being intrusive.
I can only recommend this game to anyone who loves Puzzle games. This and Stealth Inc2 were some of my Highlights last year.

Played, and finished, it last week and I was overwhelmed by how great it is. Puzzles are extremely well done and the atmosphere, music and art, is godly. Really love these puzzle platforming games, bought both Thomas Was Alone(super) and Fez(amazing) before they came of PS+, and thanks to + now this. If anybody have some other great games of this kind I would gladly appreciate it(PlayStation mainly, PC ok, played the PS+ games since PS4 launch)! Also looking forward to The Witness.

Yeah this was fantastic, didn't expect it to be so polished and direct. It's the game I wanted Braid to be.

I'll be day one on any new game from this developer from here on out, really enjoyed The Swapper.

Played, and finished, it last week and I was overwhelmed by how great it is. Puzzles are extremely well done and the atmosphere, music and art, is godly. Really love these puzzle platforming games, bought both Thomas Was Alone(super) and Fez(amazing) before they came of PS+, and thanks to + now this. If anybody have some other great games of this kind I would gladly appreciate it(PlayStation mainly, PC ok, played the PS+ games since PS4 launch)! Also looking forward to The Witness.

You've obviously played Braid. And probably LIMBO, right?

Exit is pretty nice, not sure if it meets your platform constraints. The Bridge. Mark of the Ninja is excellent to play as a puzzle game. The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom. I played all this stuff on Xbox so apologies if any of them didn't make it over to PlayStation.

For more 3D puzzle platformers, you want Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Warp

The best puzzle platformer of all time is Loopop Cube: Lup Salad, or whatever it's called. It's on PSone, DS and PSP, and the PSone version is available on PS3. There's not much in the way of story or atmosphere, it's all a bit silly, but the puzzles themselves are just wonderful.

xrnzaaas

Playing The Swapper reminded me how easy are most of the puzzles in new games these days. :) Gonna have to use a guide at some point, because I already encountered a few puzzles I can't figure out (I assume I won't be receiving any new "powers" later in the game?)

Amazing game however the puzzle learning curve shot right up about 2/3rds of the way in for me and I ended up not playing it anymore. I really should finish it but it won't be the same as I'll just use a guide! Genius puzzles though and I love the atmosphere.

Ricker

How do I slow time and create another one and then swap...stuck at the first time you need to do that while falling...it's near that big arrow pointing up,just the other room.

Grinchy

Banned
Playing The Swapper reminded me how easy are most of the puzzles in new games these days. :) Gonna have to use a guide at some point, because I already encountered a few puzzles I can't figure out (I assume I won't be receiving any new "powers" later in the game?)

Stick with it, man. Sometimes you just need to step away from a puzzle and come back later. I didn't use a guide at all. There were times when I was stuck on a puzzle for 15 minutes before finally giving up. Then when I came back to it I would get it in minutes.

goonergaz

Stick with it, man. Sometimes you just need to step away from a puzzle and come back later. I didn't use a guide at all. There were times when I was stuck on a puzzle for 15 minutes before finally giving up. Then when I came back to it I would get it in minutes.

Yeah, I was like stuck on something for ages - put vita in suspend, next day got the puzzle straight off. Overall I checked 3 puzzels on youtube which I was quite pleased about - Ironically they were all in the same area.

monlo

I beat the game in one sitting. For what it is, this game could have been more IMO. I was a little disappointed in the presentation. It was like a French restaurant; the chef prepares such intricate ideas and formulas and only let's you taste it. Otherwise it's not bad for what it is but sadly ends immediately after getting good

It's great for free but It's so similar to other every other indie metroidvania game that I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

What the fuck. This isn't even a metroidvania, let alone is it anything at all like any other metroidvania.

How do I slow time and create another one and then swap...stuck at the first time you need to do that while falling...it's near that big arrow pointing up,just the other room.

Hold the buttons down, it slows LOADS so you've got time to readjust and line stuff up.

I'd always urge against this. You'll feel relief at first but that'll quickly pass and you'll just feel hollow knowing you've beaten the game but you haven't beaten the game. It's probably just me, but I'd rather not solve a puzzle than solve one with a guide.

goonergaz

I'd always urge against this. You'll feel relief at first but that'll quickly pass and you'll just feel hollow knowing you've beaten the game but you haven't beaten the game. It's probably just me, but I'd rather not solve a puzzle than solve one with a guide.

Within reason, I mean, I was at the point of pulling my hair out through trying...I'd rather remember a game fondly than the game that drove me to throwing my vita out the window! lol It'd also be a shame not to complete it due to one puzzle.

Top Bottom