• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament gameplay trailer

LuuKyK

Wow, I love the fact that they included Gardevoir. They nailed her fighting style too.

Pikachu as boss as ever. lol

HyperHip

So the game is a weird mix of arena fighter and 2D fighter huh? Can't believe how well they made the two modes transition into each other. when I was hearing the details at work I thought it would look jank, I'm happy that's not the case though. As a fan of both genres I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

Now gimme Chesnaught please.

ugoo18

I don't really get the demand or preference for only fighting type pokemon in a more traditional setup. That honestly sounds pretty boring (It's almost reminding me of the Fox only no items Final destination meme). Even though Smash is quite different to a traditional fighter its more quirky entrants such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., Game & Watch and even Jigglypuff are not only great additions but also help give the game its own unique flair.

Plus imo this looks a lot more like an anime battle come to life for Pokemon than a reskinned Tekken ever could and as a result is far more interesting visually because of it. I'm definitely looking forward to what tournament players can do in it.

Also Infernape or Scizor better be in this, don't let me down Harada.

ugoo18

I thought the low-quality 240p stream looked better than the art in all honestly. I'll get over it, but those flat fur textures ewww

I was kind of expecting DKC:TF like fur effects since Pokemon seems like a safer bet sales wise and it also will be releasing in arcades.

Mory Dunz

I don't really get the demand or preference for only fighting type pokemon in a more traditional setup. That honestly sounds pretty boring (It's almost reminding me of the Fox only no items Final destination meme). Even though Smash is quite different to a traditional fighter its more quirky entrants such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., Game & Watch and even Jigglypuff are not only great additions but also help give the game its own unique flair.

Plus imo this looks a lot more like an anime battle come to life for Pokemon than a reskinned Tekken ever could and as a result is far more interesting visually because of it. I'm definitely looking forward to what tournament players can do in it.

Also Infernape or Scizor better be in this, don't let me down Harada.

It really does.

Pokemon fighting should be about movement, which they're going for.

MrPanic

Wow, this game is looking much more interesting than I was expecting it to be. Definitely looks fun, I hope it will come to WiiU eventually.

When I think about the main pkmn series going more action based, I always envisioned the gameplay going more towards a Ni no Kuni or Naruto style of gameplay. Pleasantly surprised that this team seemed to have a similar idea for making this spin-off as I was expecting a more generic fighting game from them.

I'm not sure if we'll get all the Hitmons. They'd all fill (except maybe Hitmontop?) more or less the same role as Machamp, right? A physical attacker that basically has no special moves from far away?
Machamp is a slow grappler type. Hitmonchan can be a boxer style mixup type character who is incredibly fast and is danger up close both offensively and defensively, but has really short reach and has a hard time getting in up close.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still no official vids huh

Im kinda surprised that hype has gone down. This is basically the combat system fans have wanted for Pokemon since Pokemon stadium. Real time fighting with 3d arenas that reflect the type of action seen in the anime. One step closer to that full 3d, open world, Pokemon rpg with realtime combat.

The anime keeps ignoring Pikachu's true lvl.

And that's really frustrating and garbage.

I'd rather they keep Pikachu extremely overpowered ,but that Ash wouldn't want to unfairly beat his opponent's weak pokemon and,as such, keeps Pikachu out of most fights.
I understand.

But ,still, the anime implies earning experience and that the more training and battles a pokemon has done,the more powerful and skilled it becomes.

Pikachu is the finest example of this.He and Ash conquered multiple regions.

And I know that Ash and Pikachu get rebooted every time a new season comes by and I despise that in the anime.

Pikachu actually isn't "overpowered". He's "dice roll" tier. With that said how BW handled it is shit.

XY really isn't any better in the writing department.

watch the subs, much better than the rest of the series

or are you going to complain about how "gym fights are the same" by ignoring everything that happened in it and turning each detail into a generalized view?

It's a cute name that combines the "Poké" from Pokémon with the "Ken" (re: Fist) that designates what type of game it is, and hails from the same makers of Tekken. What more is necessary?
I get that Tekken is part of the name because Tekken is Harada's life work. Also that the "ken" part means fist. But that's all this seems to have in common with Tekken.
It's a pun. Ken means fist, so it's Pokefist Tournament. Also marketing reasons as well.

Well for marketing reasons, yes it makes some sense.

or are you going to complain about how "gym fights are the same" by ignoring everything that happened in it and turning each detail into a generalized view?
Not sure what you're referring to. Unless you're referring to his gym battles with the ice skating Surskit that he had a type advantage over, or the weird rock tomb climbing against Tyrunt, which even in context are some of the worst cases of writing in the franchise and are no better than any of the other bullshit that's happened previously,and should be indefensible for even the staunchest fanboy.

This guy needs to be in this
Primeape_XY.gif

FUCK YES.

Boss Doggie

Did people pick up what the messages that pop up in the battle mean?

Not sure what you're referring to. Unless you're referring to his gym battles with the ice skating Surskit that he had a type advantage over, or the weird rock tomb climbing against Tyrunt, which even in context are some of the worst cases of writing in the franchise and are no better than any of the other bullshit that's happened previously,and should be indefensible for even the staunchest fanboy.

You argue by using game logic on the anime that already ran around it.

Also you pretty much dissed what is considered to be one of the best fights in the series.

Really, if you're standing on "it doesn't work like that in the games!!!", then you should really stop and think.

PMed cause this isn't the place to argue about this.

Thankfully this game isn't taking anything from the anime. Hope more fighting types show up, need the Hitmon line in there.

Boss Doggie

Also I just realized Pikachu's Volt Tackle is RAIKIRIIIIIIII!

PMed cause this isn't the place to argue about this.

Thankfully this game isn't taking anything from the anime. Hope more fighting types show up, need the Hitmon line in there.

Uhh about that... Lucario's Bone Rush attacks are based on the anime. Granted you could infer that's how it'd look like in the game too, but the generic animation makes it look like he's ripping his bone from his body and throwing it away.

Top Bottom