• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
but what do you do

At my current job I've done sales, team leading, administration, and a heap of other shit, like working closely with account managers and CEO to prepare important documentation for pitches and presentations, along with planning. Primarily I'm good with data and people, overall pretty fucking malleable. Also I can also do a thousand backflips in a row.

Today's gaming encapsulated in crude and vague superlatives

Fuck me, Captain Toad is fun.

Fuck me, Shovel Knight is pretty good.

Fuck me, free XBL weekend means I can play Hardpoint in Titanfall again.

I started Toast of London last night. Love it- I never realised that was Arthur Matthews (used write with Graham Linehan before they split and Linehan did Black Books and IT Crowd).

also do we have an AusGaf Halt and Catch Fire crowd at all?

jambo

Everyone should download TOXIKK on Steam, awesome arena shooter.

Right now I'm playing with bots, or veterans who wipe me out...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
that game is expensive jambo!

speaking of.

anyone keen for some mario kart? tonight or tomorrow or something?

we should get a big race going of some kind.

yes yes

jambo

Yeha, probably a good idea to wait for more maps.

The feel, speed and weapons is great so far though.

And Aussie servers!

that game is expensive jambo!

speaking of.

anyone keen for some mario kart? tonight or tomorrow or something?

we should get a big race going of some kind.

yes yes

Should be able to.

I think I have a bunch of AusGAF people as friends already.

HolyCheck

Yeha, probably a good idea to wait for more maps.

The feel, speed and weapons is great so far though.

And Aussie servers!

Should be able to.

I think I have a bunch of AusGAF people as friends already.

i might just leave it on all night,

easiest way, join the ausgaf tourney, that way even if there's just one person you can race CPU, tourney code: 1679-0528-6264

Dryk

I'm down for Mario Kart at some point. Also jambo that game looks interesting, I will get it when it leaves EA.

NewGame

Banned
I want a baby.

I mean computer. I want a gaming computer. Yes my old 2004 thing is not doing so crash hot and I am getting some le cashola from a tax return. Problem is I am situated on the central coast around Gosford, anyone know of any good 'puters around I can buy w/ suggestions? I am looking to spend a single k on it.

Gazunta

I really, really should watch Hold And Catch Fire. I think I'm fair square in the middle of that show's target demo. A show about 80's era computer pioneers! But man it's next to impossible to find time to watch TV these days ><

markot

Banned
Australia day should mark federation... Or we should call it new south Wales day, cause it was the foundation of NSW not Australia.

Or captain cook day. He was awesome, not like Columbus.

I really, really should watch Hold And Catch Fire. I think I'm fair square in the middle of that show's target demo. A show about 80's era computer pioneers! But man it's next to impossible to find time to watch TV these days ><

you'd like it. It's only 10 episodes and there's another season coming mid year.

It's got Thanos playing an insufferable jerk- part Don Draper without the Charisma, part Steve Jobs without the vision.

It's got a genius casting director who cast two people who played a married couple in Argo to play a married couple in this.

It's got a super smart computer hacker
girl
named Cameron.
She's
really annoying, until
she combs her hair, then she's hot.

In the pilot, you literally
want to punch every character square in the face. By the last episodes, it's just
Lee Pace
you want to punch. Seriously, fuck
that guy.
which everyone on screen does at some point
. Also, fuck that
speak n spell

It's set in Dallas yet all of two characters have a Texas accent (it's filmed in Georgia)

It's utterly compelling and you can't stop watching.

Scoot McNairy is the reason you must watch this. He's every put-apon guy in tech you ever knew. He has a C64 in his garage.

It's not a Game of Thrones/Mad Men/ Doctor Who level yet, it's more a 2nd tier show for me along with Gotham and such.

Now, Manhattan, (set in the Manhattan Project- creation of the atom bomb) that was a really, really good new show.

Happy public holiday everyone ;)

10943876_1558802027695552_2921689036207222748_n.jpg

Darren870

Throwing it out to the AusGAF ring; anybody aware of any jobs going in Melbourne? I'm employed, doing great, but concerned about my company's stability as a whole, internal restructuring that'll probably squander career progression for most staff for awhile, and generally just want a change of environment.

Where in Melbourne are you based?

HowZatOZ

Banned
My predictions, whatever the hell was big last year will be in top 20. Easily Childish, Washington, Cosby Sweater, Glass Animals if they had anything and whatever else that I can't remember.

HolyCheck

My predictions, whatever the hell was big last year will be in top 20. Easily Childish, Washington, Cosby Sweater, Glass Animals if they had anything and whatever else that I can't remember.

cosby sweater might be about the only song i know this year.

far cry from 2006.. i remember a friend and I predicted the list.. wrote a list of 100 songs each... i got 66 songs right he got 63.

last year i knew like 5 songs... all of them were daft punk.. + bustarhymes.

this year... cosby sweater only because I was playing a trivia game with my step dad and it asked which chess play, arguably known as the greatest of all time dissapeared into obscurity in the 70's only to come back in the 90's to beat several top players and dissapear again..

or something like that.

answer: bobby fischer... always 4 moves ahead

N0VAM0D

Happy Straya Day, you den of cunts!

I'm all wrapped up in bed eating some Vegemite on toast. Can't believe it's raining today! Fucked up all my plans. Ah well, I'll figure out something else.

Fredescu

3D World is so good. My son and I have played co op all the way. We're in castle world, about a level or two before getting to castle-castle. He always plays princess peach with the gamepad, and prefers to stay in the bubble most of the time. This has worked in all but one level, for some reason 6-7 just doesn't work properly and bubbles me to him even though I've progressed further, which inevitably leads to death since it's auto scrolling.

He can do all sorts of stuff with the touchscreen like stun enemies, collect coins, and open boxes. Similar to the second remote in Galaxy I guess, but easier for him to do, and he is more invested in it since he has a character in the world. He always gets to navigate the overworld, and choose which level to go to, which is good for him learning basic controls.

He is constantly motivated by the fact that he wants to save the little fairy things in each castle, so I assume he'll stop wanting to play once we've got them all, but for now, he always wants to play. Even if I try to surreptitiously fire it up to play a toad level or two, he comes over in a flash. It's the first console game he's actually wanted to play over and over again.

I really hope Nintendo come out with some sort of open world 3D exploration type game, maybe their Amiibo game. 3D World has some nice big open spaces that make me wish for a Mario game with big open levels again.
Like Sunshine, screw the haters.

HowZatOZ

Banned
3D World is so good. My son and I have played co op all the way. We're in castle world, about a level or two before getting to castle-castle. He always plays princess peach with the gamepad, and prefers to stay in the bubble most of the time. This has worked in all but one level, for some reason 6-7 just doesn't work properly and bubbles me to him even though I've progressed further, which inevitably leads to death since it's auto scrolling.

He can do all sorts of stuff with the touchscreen like stun enemies, collect coins, and open boxes. Similar to the second remote in Galaxy I guess, but easier for him to do, and he is more invested in it since he has a character in the world. He always gets to navigate the overworld, and choose which level to go to, which is good for him learning basic controls.

He is constantly motivated by the fact that he wants to save the little fairy things in each castle, so I assume he'll stop wanting to play once we've got them all, but for now, he always wants to play. Even if I try to surreptitiously fire it up to play a toad level or two, he comes over in a flash. It's the first console game he's actually wanted to play over and over again.

I really hope Nintendo come out with some sort of open world 3D exploration type game, maybe their Amiibo game. 3D World has some nice big open spaces that make me wish for a Mario game with big open levels again.

It's exactly this scenario that I really hope Nintendo continues doing what they are doing. No one else in the market cares for fun anymore, its all sales sales sales. and the armchair gamers just don't understand the magic NIntendo's systems offer to families. Sure it ain't selling well but god damn does it have some amazing games.

Hottest 100 beers is out and the Hop Hog takes #1 for the second year running. Stone & Wood take the second spot again with their Pacific Ale.
Pretty sure it's the third year running for Hop Hog. Wasn't 4 Pines second last year? Maybe it was third last year, tool...

Edit: Nope, Pacific Ale was #2 last year too. http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2014/01/australias-hottest-100-craft-beers/

Never had it, but it sounds like another stupid fucking American style hop bombs. I want to taste beer, not hops. :(
Hop Hog is an American Pale Ale, so on the hoppy side, sure, but it's far and away from being a hop bomb. It deserves its place as the most popular beer in the country. It's a great beer, just a bit boring there's been nothing to challenge it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hop Hog is fantastic. Find 4 Pines to be a bit dull and have never understood the praise. 3 Ravens isn't even on the list.

Hottest 100 beers is out and the Hop Hog takes #1 for the second year running. Stone & Wood take the second spot again with their Pacific Ale.

All 3 are awesome as fuck beers. Man I love beer. Haven't been able to handle it lately though.

If he's handling that really well you can move onto Rayman Legends which has a similar Gamepad-player-is-helper system but ramps up the difficulty quite quickly as they end up having to do some fast paced reaction stuff to keep the active player alive.

Also 3D World is so open to fit the co-op style. I disliked it as a SP experience since I'm not a big fanboy into the fan service stuff. It's quite good in co-op aside from the usual annoying Mario foibles.

My son was sick the other day and woke up crying from his nap just as I'd beaten the game and the credits were rolling. I went and collected him, gave him baby nurofen, offered him water and food, but it seemed nothing would calm him down... So I sat him on my lap and played a level or two as Mario in the ice world. He immediately stopped crying and sat there mesmerised as everyone's favourite plumber woohoo'd and whoopee'd his way through the level.

I'm pretty sure it was the first time he'd ever seen a video game.

I turned it off after a few minutes because I had to get him ready to go to the park, but for stopping a cranky sick child from crying, SM3DW works a treat.

EatChildren

woh

what happened no mod?

Stepped down. Don't really have time to dig through all the PMs I get, or do what a mod should be doing. Figured it was better to clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom