• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

There's just a couple lines of text with that picture.

SdN1YDf.jpg

Can someone translate the lines below that picture? Thanks.

I just bought FF 2 for my iphone last week and I'm enjoying it.
The sprites are fine considering it's a phone game. My issues with it are based on control and UI.

FFVI will be fine and I'm really actually looking forward to playing it again quite a bit.

*runs from thrown rocks*

RedSwirl

I just bought FF 2 for my iphone last week and I'm enjoying it.
The sprites are fine considering it's a phone game. My issues with it are based on control and UI.

FFVI will be fine and I'm really actually looking forward to playing it again quite a bit.

*runs from thrown rocks*

FFII is different. It's based on the PSP anniversary version of the game which had much better spritework than what SE did for V and what they are doing for VI. I'd be all over this if SE gave V and VI the same treatment they gave the PSP versions of I, II, and IV. That's not what they're doing though. What they are doing looks noticeably worse.

Elvick

Banned
FFII is different. It's based on the PSP anniversary version of the game which had much better spritework than what SE did for V and what they are doing for VI. I'd be all over this if SE gave V and VI the same treatment they gave the PSP versions of I, II, and IV. That's not what they're doing though. What they are doing looks noticeably worse.
Agreed.

I mean, I didn't legitimately expect a full AAA remake of FFVI, despite wanting it and believing they should do it as a large fanservice. But I had always hoped they'd put at least some effort into FFVI.

After FFV came out though... I knew what awaited FFVI. And it annoys me and frustrates me.

Yeah I haven't played V on ios. So this looks more like FF Dimensions and less like FF I & II?

Dimensions wasn't terribly ugly. It played pretty nice (the first chapter anyway, I never bought in).

I agree Square of old never would have released this but that square is dead.
At least more people will get to play FFVI.

KtSlime

Just saw the trailer, game looks good, but I'm not sure about the price. Unlike many I thought the SE prices were fairly reasonable, but it looks like they will be asking 2800 yen for VI, I was expecting something closer to 1900 yen.

Edit: should have read the title, that card was for DQVIII before the FFVI video. SE would be crazy to ask that much for this port.

fates

Here's a trailer. I don't know if it's been posted on the forums yet. Tiling errors on Figaro Castle are noticeable even with this poor quality video. Notice the base of the castle towers:

3H6QGxF.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw4qdEAWBFo

Might be because of it being an early build.

But either way yeah these are definitely phoned in. It really is a shame. I'm not gonna say it needed a full 3D remake or anything but even something like FF4 PSP would have been nice.

Holy fucking shit this is gorgeous. Holy shit! There's seriously no more info on this?

Here's an early background concept in isometric perspective that may have been from this era. But as far as I know, there's not much concrete info on the SNES-style alpha. One interesting bit I did learn from the 25th Anniversary Ultimania is that they were drafting the story as early as 1994 and Sephiroth's portrait more closely resembled Vincent or Magus.
07FFCONCEPT17.jpg

Nomura mentioned in an interview that some of his FF6 character designs didn't get attributed properly to him. (can't find it now) That may be the source of some of the confusion.

That is beta Xenogears before things were changed when it was deemed too dark to be a FF game.

First time I've heard of a beta Xengoears for SNES. Got any sources for that?

The image above has sprites on a polygonal environment. It says so underneath the image.
No, it absolutely does not.
"表現がポリゴンではなくドット絵で、"
"The presentation is not in polygons, but rather in sprites..."

But either way yeah these are definitely phoned in. It really is a shame. I'm not gonna say it needed a full 3D remake or anything but even something like FF4 PSP would have been nice.

Dear god its terrible

Oh well...

hitsugi

It's not an early build.. the game is coming out pretty damn soon and the engine has been done since FF Dimensions. Nothing will change.

gblues

Banned
I put together a comparison GIF that shows the iOS against an emulator using a CRT shader:

ffvi-ios-sneshdb34.gif

It's really strange how the graphics are simultaneously improved and worse.

Positive:

- Increased clarity of details, such as the houses at the base of the valley (presumably Narshe).
- The Magitek armor actually looks pretty faithful to the original.

Negative:
- image has been brightened. The scene is supposed to be happening at night, but the color tones and contrast have been shifted to make it a daylight scene.
- While some details have been improved, others have been completely eradicated. I call it "death by airbrush." Terra's tangly hair is now fashion magazine perfect. The texture of the snow is completely gone. While the town is more clearly defined, the actual details in the cliff face are harder to make out.
- Terra in general is just.. bleh. Artist just didn't care. And that's sad considering these sprites are done by the same artist that made the original sprites.
- And then, of course, there is the habitual discarding of the original game's typography and using.. Helvetica. I mean, it's not the crime against typography that is Comic Sans, but it's just so.. utilitarian and blah.

I think what really bothers me about the sprites for this and FFV is that while the resolution is enhanced, there isn't a corresponding increase in character detail. Instead, it's all thick lines and smooth gradients.

Still, one screenshot is a bit too little to hang the game on. Hopefully, the other locales fare better.

MilkBeard

I put together a comparison GIF that shows the iOS against an emulator using a CRT shader:

ffvi-ios-sneshdb34.gif

It's really strange how the graphics are simultaneously improved and worse.

Positive:

- Increased clarity of details, such as the houses at the base of the valley (presumably Narshe).
- The Magitek armor actually looks pretty faithful to the original.

Negative:
- image has been brightened. The scene is supposed to be happening at night, but the color tones and contrast have been shifted to make it a daylight scene.
- While some details have been improved, others have been completely eradicated. I call it "death by airbrush." Terra's tangly hair is now fashion magazine perfect. The texture of the snow is completely gone. While the town is more clearly defined, the actual details in the cliff face are harder to make out.
- Terra in general is just.. bleh. Artist just didn't care. And that's sad considering these sprites are done by the same artist that made the original sprites.
- And then, of course, there is the habitual discarding of the original game's typography and using.. Helvetica. I mean, it's not the crime against typography that is Comic Sans, but it's just so.. utilitarian and blah.

I think what really bothers me about the sprites for this and FFV is that while the resolution is enhanced, there isn't a corresponding increase in character detail. Instead, it's all thick lines and smooth gradients.

Still, one screenshot is a bit too little to hang the game on. Hopefully, the other locales fare better.

Yeah I agree, certain details are better like the soldier and the magitek armor. At the same time, the entire mood of the scene is changed. One thing about FF VI's original graphics is that they had this dark, gritty look that made the game almost feel 'gothic' in a sense. It seems like that feeling has been removed. Judging by these pictures. I would have hoped that with upgraded graphics they would have at least tried to maintain that same vibe. i.e. instead of using white, use that faded blue and in the rocks a dingy brown hue. Also the edges are all smoothed out, taking away some of that gritty feel that could have been easily reproduced with better technology.

Maybe some of it is nostalgia goggles but I feel like that sort of dark, gothic vibe played a big part in the game.

I will say however that the picture of the magitek facility does retain the same vibe for the most part, and looks better than the other screens.

Call me a blasphemer but I really like what they're doing. Yeah, some of the "make do with what you've got" personality of the spritework has faded away, but the new sprites are not bad. They're just different. I like what they did with the Magitek armor. You can tell that the claws are claws now.

It's a little weird how stretched the characters seem to look in the trailer. I'm going to have to see more than that little blurry texture to fully pass judgment, but I'm not against it.

Bobblehead sprites will always hold a special place in my heart, but I'm willing to give this a chance.

tbm24

After playing FFV heavily these past couple of days since it's on sale, or was idk if it's still going on, I very much look forward to VI, in particular the sprites. It took about the time I met Faris and the pirates to realize how much better they look than the originals, not that the originals are bad and I can see why many are attached to them, but the new sprites looks really great when they start emoting and they do that quite a lot. The UI is also fantastic for touch. I've been playing the game just fine.

I can understand why some may not take to them, but they really add to the game. I prefer this version waaaaaaay better than the ps1 version I got when I was younger. Easily best version, wish some people would give it a try.

I fully expect to think the same about VI too

Seanspeed

Banned
This game! This fucking game! Just played for the first time and I fucking love everything! Dayum!
GOAT. Glad you loved it. Its hard not to.

I'm playing this at the moment and I'm having this issue where the game pauses at the beginning of every battle. Its annoying. Cant seem to find any other mention of it anywhere. On a OnePlus One. Anybody else have this issue?

Neku89

I bought the game on both iOS and Android, but I can't bear the graphics. FFVI is on my top 5 games of all time, and I finished FFV Android without any problems, but this is too much. FFV was always bright-looking and campy, so the mobile version didn't bother me, but I couldn't stop thinking that something (like the overall atmosphere) was amiss while playing FFVI... Gah, I hope that SE will release the SNES VC version on Wii U :(

inner-G

Banned
I bought the game on both iOS and Android, but I can't bear the graphics. FFVI is on my top 5 games of all time, and I finished FFV Android without any problems, but this is too much. FFV was always bright-looking and campy, so the mobile version didn't bother me, but I couldn't stop thinking that something (like the overall atmosphere) was amiss while playing FFVI... Gah, I hope that SE will release the SNES VC version on Wii U :(
Can't you buy it in Wii mode VC on Wii U?

inner-G

Banned
Yes but then you need to use an old wii remote and you can't view it on the gamepad either.
Ah, I see.

I use a Wii remote w/ adapter + actual SNES controller for my VC games so it never occurred to me that that would be a problem for some.

Yes but then you need to use an old wii remote and you can't view it on the gamepad either.
You've been able to view vWii on the Gamepad for a number of firmware updates.

With the news that Wi games purchased from the eShop that support Classic controller (none so far) will allow you to use the GamePad instead of a Wii remote+classic controller it makes me hope that this is a general change for vWii mode.

Top Bottom