• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam. Feb 25 release, $30 (15% off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow. Looks great. I was under the impression it'd just be an up-res with a modified UI. Is this just the first game?

Agremont

It looks beautiful!

Seriously, I can't think of any other game/game series where all the artistic stuff, art design, music and sound design come together as well as it does in Homeworld.

This.... the one thing I've been waiting for since steam came out to show up on steam.... goood god...

For those of you whom have never tried homeworld. Do it. Don't question it just do it.

CHC

Looks amazing, really hope this isn't a buggy mess. Seriously, ring in the new year with something thatjust works the way it should.

It was kind of worrying we had almost a year of silence then they just... drop it...
Gearbox has also claimed they don't think they'll profit off this venture and that it's just "for the fans" they publicly said it'll only break even with sales but will likely be a loss for them.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It was kind of worrying we had almost a year of silence then they just... drop it...
Gearbox has also claimed they don't think they'll profit off this venture and that it's just "for the fans" they publicly said it'll only break even with sales but will likely be a loss for them.

Seriously? It seems so odd.....i mean on one hand they have a lot of good will to make up with the Aliens debacle but on the other i just cant see a company doing something like that knowingly. I mean, it would be great that it was actually good AND made money. Its a top seller on Steam right now.

Portman

Are these merely graphical updates or have they touched the gameplay? Because Homeworld 2 campaign (never played the first) certainly would love some tweaking (goddamn dynamic difficult).

The difficulty wasn't tough in my memory but when I played through the 1st game last fall I won't deny that I used a trainer about a 1/3rd of the way through. Granted in the first game you could save at the end of the mission and then build whatever you needed and then go to the second mission which made it a lot easier but I was lazy on that recent play through.

Now for the 2nd game they made the difficulty dynamic as a reaction to the strategy that I outlined above. I remember them mentioning it in a preview before the game was released and it looks at your fleet at the start of each mission and adjusts the Vaygr starting forces so that they are stronger. This was done to make it feel like you were always on the run from an imposing force and countered that strategy.

My memory of the 2nd game was it being a lot tougher but I'm thinking I beat it. I do remember messing around with it later after release where you could edit the files the game used to give yourself specific ships and the game wouldn't "adjust" to them so you could essentially be overpowered for a few missions.

I'm going to give it my best shot on the remakes of each but I hope that the "shady tactics" still work in case anyone has trouble and just wants to experience the story.

I had written it off for a year after they announced the delay last fall and hence why I had started playing through the original game since I figured it would be a year or so out. I do find it really odd that if this is all "for the fans" then why would they keep us in the dark about it until they just announce a release out of the blue? As for the profit part, I recall them saying they are big fans of it so I hope they're putting their heart and souls into this and any profit will just be seen as an added bonus (and can go towards Shipbreakers or a 3rd game if they ever get the itch to do that).

DBT85

Seriously? It seems so odd.....i mean on one hand they have a lot of good will to make up with the Aliens debacle but on the other i just cant see a company doing something like that knowingly. I mean, it would be great that it was actually good AND made money. Its a top seller on Steam right now.
Consider that if it does Ok that sales of Homeworld: Shipbreakers will do better, so they could be banking on that a little.

It's a franchise that people have wanted more from for years. With the old crew on board and in control, that might actually happen and be good at the same time.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Consider that if it does Ok that sales of Homeworld: Shipbreakers will do better, so they could be banking on that a little.

It's a franchise that people have wanted more from for years. With the old crew on board and in control, that might actually happen and be good at the same time.

What is this shipbreakers you speak of?

DBT85

What is this shipbreakers you speak of?

https://www.youtube.com/user/InsideBBI/videos

Watch the teaser first, then the episodes in order.

It is made by BBI, a startup comprising some old relic folk and some others. The CEO is Rob Cunningham, the art director on HW1 and 2 and one of the Relic founding members. Aaron Kambeitz is the Cheif Creative Officer and was the lead artist on HW1 and another Relic founding member, also worked on HW2.

Game was original presented as Hardware: Shipbreakers and it was clearly inspired by Homeworld in several aspects. After Gearbox got the license they reached out to BBI to get help on the HW1 and 2 remasters as well as to bring Hardware into the Homeworld franchise, where it had been kind of designed to be in the first place.

This is incredible. I could have sworn Homeworld looked better than that. Dem rose tinted goggles!

I'm really looking forward to see if modders are going to be able to work their magic for things like Trek, Wars, BSG mods with the new versions, I know they existed on the originals.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Not odd at all. They are eventually going to do a Homeworld 3. This was just an effort to get the original 2 back into circulation and make them viable games to play in 2015.

That way when he sewuel comes out it actually can have word of mouth and new fans from the remaster.

Memory

I just realised on the Steam store page it says Steam Workshop.
So that pretty much confirms mod support :)

Yep i think the devs said that a while ago. I just hope the remaster has just a dedicated mod community as HW2 did. Would love Ex, Battlestar Galactaca, Star wars and Gundam mods to name a few.

Nzyme32

I just realised on the Steam store page it says Steam Workshop.
So that pretty much confirms mod support :)

Yeah so far it all seem brilliant. Still a bit on the wary side with Gearbox, so will probably wait a while for more impressions before picking it up

Holy shit, it's beautiful. Damn it, it's so tempting to just get it immediately.

The difficulty wasn't tough in my memory but when I played through the 1st game last fall I won't deny that I used a trainer about a 1/3rd of the way through. Granted in the first game you could save at the end of the mission and then build whatever you needed and then go to the second mission which made it a lot easier but I was lazy on that recent play through.

Now for the 2nd game they made the difficulty dynamic as a reaction to the strategy that I outlined above. I remember them mentioning it in a preview before the game was released and it looks at your fleet at the start of each mission and adjusts the Vaygr starting forces so that they are stronger. This was done to make it feel like you were always on the run from an imposing force and countered that strategy.

My memory of the 2nd game was it being a lot tougher but I'm thinking I beat it. I do remember messing around with it later after release where you could edit the files the game used to give yourself specific ships and the game wouldn't "adjust" to them so you could essentially be overpowered for a few missions.

If I recall correctly, you can easily game the dynamic difficulty in both games by basically recycling most of your fleet into resources and then building it up again when you start the next mission.

mantidor

One one hand, yay Homeworld! On the other... I was really hoping for a GOG release... I'll get this either way.

I'm also really looking forward to impressions from newcomers, with games like Dark Souls being the new darlings of gaming communities for being difficult I wonder how Homeworld will fare.

Suddenly, I have a strange urge to listen to Adagio for Strings.

The not-strangely-compressed-for-no-apparent-reason soundtrack is going to sound glorious.

Is the YES song still in the end credits?

Gearbox has avoided this question when asked numerous times, so i'm going to guess no.

=/

A real shame, because it's one of my favorite Yes songs.

For ~10 minutes it's like they were back to their early 70s glory days.

DBT85

Its not just the soundtrack either, all of the audio is incredible and adds to the environment and feeling throughout. The crackly radios, the whum when you go into map mode, the VO work, the whum when you go from game to a in game animated squence and the black bars top and bottom come up.

I'll be interested to see more and final footage of the remastered cutscenes to see just how far they've strayed from the originals, which I adored.

What are the chances of Homeworld doing well with modern audiences? Ship breakers seems more traditional but aside from starcraft there don't seem to be crazy popular RTS games anymore. Sins of a solar empire did okay but it was like a tablet version of the homeworld combat system in a CIV game.

mantidor

Its not just the soundtrack either, all of the audio is incredible and adds to the environment and feeling throughout. The crackly radios, the whum when you go into map mode, the VO work, the whum when you go from game to a in game animated squence and the black bars top and bottom come up.

I'll be interested to see more and final footage of the remastered cutscenes to see just how far they've strayed from the originals, which I adored.

The battle chat between your units was awesome.

Demigod Mac

I had Cataclysm years and years ago. Might be my poor memory, but I was under the impression it was far better than 1 and 2.

Best and most balanced gameplay of the series, though its story wasn't quite as good as 1's.

Here's hoping Cataclysm will be released later as DLC.

For somebody who's never played the series before, but plans to get the remastered edition, would it be worth trying to track down Cataclysm? A lot of praise for it in this thread, and if it's that good I don't want to miss out.

Have they re-recorded the VOs? It sorta sounds like it there, yet it could just be a massive boost in audio quality from the original files.

I think the B-roll footage is missing the massive echo/delay/reverb effects applied on the Kadeshi ship, which certainly slowed down a sliiight bit the voice.

The remaster does look fantastic and it's already a Steam top seller!

Carcetti

What are the chances of Homeworld doing well with modern audiences? Ship breakers seems more traditional but aside from starcraft there don't seem to be crazy popular RTS games anymore. Sins of a solar empire did okay but it was like a tablet version of the homeworld combat system in a CIV game.

How well did Sins do? I'd say it's the only real time space strategy that even approaches Homeworld quality so it's might be a good yardstick.

How well did Sins do? I'd say it's the only real time space strategy that even approaches Homeworld quality so it's might be a good yardstick.

Eh from what I remember it did around average for a PC game, it got good reviews however. I don't think it got very popular compared to some other RTS games but I could be remembering that wrong.

For somebody who's never played the series before, but plans to get the remastered edition, would it be worth trying to track down Cataclysm? A lot of praise for it in this thread, and if it's that good I don't want to miss out.

Now this I DO remember. It's good game but cataclysm was probably the weakest of the homeworld series. A lot of that is probably because it's a spin off in many ways. I would try out the originals first before going onto cataclysm. It's literally the zombie mode of the homeworld series.

Eh from what I remember it did around average for a PC game. I don't think it got massive praise but I could be remembering that wrong.

Now this I DO remember. It is a good game but cataclysm was probably the weakest of the homeworld series. a lot of that is probably because it's a spin off in many ways. I would try out the originals first before going onto cataclysm. It's literally the zombie mode of the homeworld series.

Cataclysm has some pretty damn good cutscenes as well, that set the whole space horror tone. It's really awesome they managed to instill fear with just audio and ships. The first missions where you enter in contact with the beast, the whole sound and situations you face were like nothing I ever played before in a RTS title. To me, that's one of Cataclysm successes, even if it's not considered canon.

I mean, check this out (warning, spoilers!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkZfmf6vl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRUTQoDh_lE

Stuff like this really made you want to keep continuing the campaign to find out what would happen next.

edit: zombies in space, yeah, but few games managed to convey the horror in the way Cataclysm did! The cutscenes were downright creepy at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgrQVv4rSE

epmode

It's definitely worth playing. I bought a used copy myself in the last year or two.

It's a real shame that Gearbox isn't at least including the original release.

Lime

I'd suggest playing Homeworld 1 and 2 first, then Cataclysm. The expansion was markedly different in tone, narrative, gameplay, and scope.

huxley00

I played Homeworld 2 quite a few times. I loved the cut scenes and art direction of the game, so damn good. Why is the comic book style not used more often? I have no idea.

I tried to go back and play the first one several years back. Unfortunately, the graphics were just a bit too aged for me, especially compared to how good Homeworld 2 looked. I'm really excited to dive into the first one and see what I have been missing.

Homeworld has one of the most interesting stories that has been done in Sci Fi gaming, highly recommended. I put in my pre order today, going to be a good few months of gaming I think.

epmode

Yeah, Homeworld has some of the best videogame audio design ever. I love the comms chatter. Everyone's so understated, like a NASA mission.

The most disappointing thing is that virtually everything about the Homeworld aesthetic was worth keeping yet it all died with Homeworld 2. Some people still remember, though! If you haven't seen it yet, Enemy Starfighter is an upcoming action-y space sim that's practically a Homeworld spin-off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOlKYrz3t8

Anyone here do the 2K Community Day in 2013 on Twitch? We are supposed to get Homeworld for free, but I'm not sure when the keys will be released and through which venue.

Yeah, Homeworld has some of the best videogame audio design ever. I love the comms chatter. Everyone's so understated, like a NASA mission.

The most disappointing thing is that virtually everything about the Homeworld aesthetic was worth keeping yet it all died with Homeworld 2. Some people still remember, though! If you haven't seen it yet, Enemy Starfighter is an upcoming action-y space sim that's practically a Homeworld spin-off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOlKYrz3t8

One of the biggest thing I always had ideas about as a kid was a damned homeworld flight sim.

Good lawd. The epicness of it all.

mantidor

One of the biggest thing I always had ideas about as a kid was a damned homeworld flight sim.

Good lawd. The epicness of it all.

Cataclysm had a cockpit view mode. It was glorious, the closest you can get to a Freespace experience. A Homeworld/Freespace hibrid is my dream game.

What's amazing is that the original Homeworld 2 still looks great for a decade old game. Art direction goes a long way.

ZPDYEdm.png

SOON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom