• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yanis Varoufakis (previously of Valve) is Greece's new finance minister : via ibtimes

Vlade

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/greeces-new-finance-minister-yanis-varoufakis-valves-former-steam-market-economist-1485336

In his own words Varoufakis says he was hired by Valve "to forge narratives and empirical knowledge that (a) transcend the border separating the 'real' from the digital economies, and (b) bring together lessons from the political economy of our gamers' economies and from studying Valve's very special (and fascinating) internal management structure."

In a letter to the economist, Valve boss Gabe Newell likened creating a shared currency between real money and the Steam wallet to the problems faced with Greece with the Euro. Varoufakis was intrigued, taking on the consultancy role Newell offered, and now he will be taking his experiences at Valve into a position of incredible importance.

I really like viewing video games and the industry as a microcosm of international business, economy, and entertainment. This is still amazing to me.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Okay, this is where Greece goes from bankruptcy to owning most of Europe in a matter of months. He'll bring down the European union in a week. But they'll be clad in hats and thanking him for it.

oti

Banned
That guy is seriously juggeling the career lanes. (That's how the cool MOBA kids talk, right?)
What even is juggeling/juggling anyway?

ArjanN

That guy is seriously juggeling the career lanes. (That's how the cool MOBA kids talk, right?)
What even is juggeling/juggling anyway?

it's Jungling, i.e. going into the jungle area.

Juggling is more of a fighting game term where you juggle someone in the air with attacks.

Zissou

This is really cool. I remember reading his blog stuff when he started at Valve. Will be interesting to see how he does!

Top Bottom