• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not let the Southern US be its own country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
There appear to be quite a few people here who don't seem to understand much about the American economy. Also, folks in favor of breaking up the union now have something in common with people like Sarah Palin. Congrats on letting your disdain turn you into clowns.

There appear to be quite a few people here who don't seem to understand much about the American economy. Also, folks in favor of breaking up the union now have something in common with people like Sarah Palin. Congrats on letting your disdain turn you into clowns.

but his gut says yes. You gotta trust your gut

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
2012+Electoral+Map+County+by+County.png

ramuh

Breaking up the union in today's age and even this past 100 years doesn't make an sense. If this was an article right post Civil War, then ya there could be conversations. But I don't think even then that anyone wanted to go through the whole secede thing again.

But going back to current times it doesn't make economic sense at all. We (all Amercians) would suffer from it. It's not as simple as hey lets do our own country or hey let separate who cares? We are all dependent on each other and that's what makes our economy and country resilient and strong.

Speevy

Banned
Well, the OP may have convinced Neogaffers from other countries that half our country thinks the other half is inhabited by morons who want to bring back slavery.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Don't forget the role gerrymandering plays in how that map looks.

This is a fair and fantastic point. I think the overall point -- that "the south" is basically everywhere that is 15-20 miles from a metropolis is undeniable, though. So attempting some sort of allowed/encouraged secession could get really ugly for the north, too, when they realize half of what they still have -- everything between cities, basically -- is still an issue.

pa22word

Yeah, this is pretty much what I took away from this thread too.

Y'all bunch of morons. Please feel bad about yourselves and open up a book sometime =\

ISOM

It IS quite ironic that the OP talks about secessionists and then advocates states to secede.

While the South does contribute to the economy they're also the ones sucking money from the North. They hate Government wealth redistribution(the Republicans) but the numbers I've seen show many Southern states get a shit ton more money back from the Feds than they give into the system. Please, correct me if I'm wrong though..maybe things have changed since that one chart I saw(on GAF I believe). The South would disintegrate without the support of the strong Federal Government from an economic point of view...then there's all the social factors as well. It'd be a nightmare. Can you imagine The South writing up some new Bill of Rights for their new country? Good: God, Guns. Bad: Gays. The end.

cajunator

Banned
While the South does contribute to the economy they're also the ones sucking money from the North. They hate Government wealth redistribution(the Republicans) but the numbers I've seen show many Southern states get a shit ton more money back from the Feds than they give into the system. Please, correct me if I'm wrong though..maybe things have changed since that one chart I saw(on GAF I believe). The South would disintegrate without the support of the strong Federal Government from an economic point of view...then there's all the social factors as well. It'd be a nightmare. Can you imagine The South writing up some new Bill of Rights for their new country? Good: God, Guns. Bad: Gays. The end.

Several northern states are doing the same slick.

nateeasy

Banned
A good portion of that Federal money going to the southern states is related to border control, Gulf ports, military bases, national parks, etc. It benefits the whole country.

benjipwns

Banned
A good portion of that Federal money going to the southern states is related to border control, Gulf ports, military bases, national parks, etc. It benefits the whole country.
No, I'm pretty sure it just goes to churches, Waffle Houses and Krystals. And like, racist NRA art or something.

but his gut says yes. You gotta trust your gut

I don't understand why it's frowned upon to be upfront about uncertainty. Maybe that statement was interpreted as "facts be damned, I believe what I want" but that's not at all what I'm saying.

Well, the OP may have convinced Neogaffers from other countries that half our country thinks the other half is inhabited by morons who want to bring back slavery.

I doubt that. I haven't even mentioned slavery in this thread. (Until now, anyway)

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Uhhh no? California has the largest number of bases out of any other state, not to mention the largest base in the country IE Camp Pendleton.

That's a pretty dismissive response. My quick phone research tells me that Virginia is nothing to shake a stick at in terms of military concentration. I couldn't quickly find a "South/Non-South" military comparison, so I don't really know.

Anyway, I agree with people who've pointed more to an urban/non-urban divide.

Speevy

Banned
I don't understand why it's frowned upon to be upfront about uncertainty. Maybe that statement was interpreted as "facts be damned, I believe what I want" but that's not at all what I'm saying.

I doubt that. I haven't even mentioned slavery in this thread. (Until now, anyway)

Are you just oblivious that just about every reply to this thread has called you on how silly this sounds?

I would have at least admitted it if it were my thread.

Are you just oblivious that just about every reply to this thread has called you on how silly this sounds?

I would have at least admitted it if it were my thread.

Yes, it sounds silly. No doubt about it. Obviously it's an extreme and unrealistic idea. I wish more replies would've given serious responses like africanus and a couple others did for the sake of discussion, but I guess a lot of folks felt the premise wasn't worth taking seriously, which is fine. *shrug*

nasax

That's a pretty dismissive response. My quick phone research tells me that Virginia is nothing to shake a stick at in terms of military concentration. I couldn't quickly find a "South/Non-South" military comparison, so I don't really know.

Anyway, I agree with people who've pointed more to an urban/non-urban divide.

Because he is being dismissive. The amount of military bases in Florida and Texas is staggering.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yes, it sounds silly. No doubt about it. Obviously it's an extreme and unrealistic idea. I wish more replies would've given serious responses like africanus and a couple others did for the sake of discussion, but I guess a lot of folks felt the premise wasn't worth taking seriously, which is fine. *shrug*

The issue is that you don't quite understand the stated issue (cultural feet-dragging) isn't really a Mason-Dixon Line issue, at least not anymore thanks to the homogenization of conservatism post-Reagan. And by offering a potential solution -- letting the confederate states secede -- you show that you neither understand the current political culture nor the very real and devastating impact their removal from the union would have on basically every phase of American life. It's not just "ok bye we don't have to listen to you anymore," it's everything from the economic powerhouses of Georgia, Texas, and Florida, to the importance of Gulf access, control of the Atlantic, spheres of influence in central and South America, and endless other issues that come from splitting up the most powerful superpower in the history of the world.

No, you can't offer to split that superpower up because a bunch of conservatives are holding back social change. That anyone responded with a reasonable explanation why it couldn't work is a credit to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom