• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

¡Vamos a aprender español!- Let's Learn Spanish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Op, sorry to say but your Spanish needs work haha. Even the thread title is not quite right.

Vamos a aprender is more like we are going to Learn. Let's Learn would be aprendamos. Don't have Spanish keyboard so spelling will be all over the place.

Also decir algo mal is incorrect. That is like saying" Saying something badly/bad? Doesn't quite work.

Thank you! Thank you! I am always SO confused with the preterit and imperfect. I thought since I have not seen my Spanish professors or been to a Spanish class for 10 years, then I can use "fueron" but it seems it wasn't the case. Is it imperfect "eran" because I did study with them continuously for 4 years, even though that ended now?

Veo que eres un fan de Las Aventuras de Tintin. A mi me lo gusta también. Tenía todos los libros desde yo era niña. Ahora, estoy estudiando el francés para leerlo en original.

(I'm sure I must have messed that up somewhere, so please correct).
You're describing what they were though, so it'd be eran. Any time you're giving color you're gonna use the imperfect.

Your relation doesn't change anything. Its the fact that the way you're describing the past you're talking in a continuous way. Fueron gives the sense of 'they were spanish but they stopped at some point being spanish'

Op, sorry to say but your Spanish needs work haha. Even the thread title is not quite right.

Vamos a aprender is more like we are going to Learn. Let's Learn would be aprendamos. Don't have Spanish keyboard so spelling will be all over the place.

Also decir algo mal is incorrect. That is like saying" Saying something badly/bad? Doesn't quite work.

mal is the adverb so 'badly', malo/a is the adjective so 'bad'. But it works in english, its one of those translations that ends up to literal and doesn't work well in spanish

Your relation doesn't change anything. Its the fact that the way you're describing the past you're talking in a continuous way. Fueron gives the sense of 'they were spanish but they stopped at some point being spanish'

Oooh I see...a light bulb just lit up in my head. Muchas gracias por la explicación.

Two Words

I have trouble telling when to use past imperfect or preterito. Sometimes it is obvious, but other times the difference seems subtle. Generally, I understand that preterito is used when speaking of a specific past moment, and past imperfect is used to describe a past event that occurred over time. But sometimes it seems to not be that simple.

Any tips?

Hello again! I'm practicing a few expressions using "ESTAR". Can a kind soul please check my sentences below? Gracias!

1. Está a tres de setiembre.

2. Cristina estuvo a punto de salir a casa cuando el teléfono sonó

3. Estoy de acuerdo con el mensaje del programa.

4. Estoy para dormir pero el ruido me despierta.

5. ¿El contrato está conforme con lo que deseas?

6. Estaremos de vacaciones en Francia el mes que viene.

7. La enfermedad de María está de vuelta después de doce años.

In particular I'm confused about the difference between "estar a punto de" and "estar para + infinitive" as my book says they both mean "about to"?

Valkyria

Banned
Hello again! I'm practicing a few expressions using "ESTAR". Can a kind soul please check my sentences below? Gracias!

1. Está a tres de setiembre. Es tres de septiembre

4. Estoy para dormir pero el ruido me despierta. It does not sound natural, I would say, Quiero dormir pero el ruido me despierta

In particular I'm confused about the difference between "estar a punto de" and "estar para + infinitive" as my book says they both mean "about to"?

Check the bolded corrections.

Estar a punto de means your are gonna do the action right now: Estoy a punto de irme, you are already at the door. You can use Estar para ir with the same meaning, but is uncommon, normally means that it is prepared to do something, you can see a lot "Está para entrar" in real state meaning the house is free and a contract can be signed at any moment.

Manu

1. Está a tres de setiembre.

4. Estoy para dormir pero el ruido me despierta.

Number 1's not very clear. In 2 you should be using past imperfect, so it should be "Cristina estaba a punto de salir de casa cuando el teléfono sonó." It's also "salir de casa" if she was leaving from her home to somewhere else.

All the others are perfectly fine, at least as far the use of "estar" goes. In 4 it should be "estoy por dormir" but otherwise great job.

Ricky_R

Whats the most romantic thing you can say in spanish?

Como una promesa, eres tú, eres tú.
Como una mañana de verano.
Como una sonrisa, eres tú, eres tú.
Así, así, eres tú.

Toda mi esperanza, eres tú, eres tú.
Como lluvia fresca en mis manos
como fuerte brisa, eres tú, eres tú.
Así, así, eres tú.

Eres tú como el agua de mi fuente (algo así eres tú)
Eres tú el fuego de mi hogar
Eres tú como el fuego de mi hoguera
Eres tú el trigo de mi pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7RiYPibdKs#t=00m42s

Check the bolded corrections.

Estar a punto de means your are gonna do the action right now: Estoy a punto de irme, you are already at the door. You can use Estar para ir with the same meaning, but is uncommon, normally means that it is prepared to do something, you can see a lot "Está para entrar" in real state meaning the house is free and a contract can be signed at any moment.

Thanks for the corrections and explanation!

Number 1's not very clear. In 2 you should be using past imperfect, so it should be "Cristina estaba a punto de salir de casa cuando el teléfono sonó." It's also "salir de casa" if she was leaving from her home to somewhere else.

All the others are perfectly fine, at least as far the use of "estar" goes. In 4 it should be "estoy por dormir" but otherwise great job.

Thank you for checking!

Apparently for 1 I should have used "Es tres de septiembre" or "Estamos a tres de septiembre." Is there any difference at all in the meaning of the two?

I have trouble telling when to use past imperfect ]or preterito. Sometimes it is obvious, but other times the difference seems subtle. Generally, I understand that preterito is used when speaking of a specific past moment, and past imperfect is used to describe a past event that occurred over time. But sometimes it seems to not be that simple.

Any tips?

Dont worry , im a native speaker, but things like pretérito and preterito pluscuamperfecto were martian when i studied them, you will know what to use instinctively

Whats the most romantic thing you can say in spanish?

Eres parte del cuerpo que del cuerpo se ha ido ,pasado que vive se escucha el latido estado de coma que me juega una broma perfume muy caro que ha dejado su aroma.De lo indisoluble tú la parte soluble ,,la huella en la arena que se borra en la arena, beso en la boca que parece prohibido ,sonrojas al tiempo porque no lo has vivido

Hey guys, I'm bumping this. Did a search for the latest Spanish learning thread, and this seems to be de facto.
I'm struggling with seeing the patterns in the grammar. In my native language, the grammar doesn't change so much depending on gender.
I'm trying to deconstruct it by seeing some basic patterns in these sentences;

The apple is red.
It is John’s apple.
I give John the apple.
We give him the apple.
He gives it to John.
She gives it to him.
I must give it to him.
I want to give it to her.

My own poor translation;

El manzana es roja
Es la manzana de John
yo dar John la manzana
nosotros dar el manzana
Él le da a John
ella se lo da
yo deber dar ella a el
yo querer a dar ella a ella

I'm trying to figure out the basic grammar rules, so I have a better foundation, but it confuses me. If anyone could tell me the correct way to grammar-structure these, it would be a big help! Gracias!

Hey guys, I'm bumping this. Did a search for the latest Spanish learning thread, and this seems to be de facto.
I'm struggling with seeing the patterns in the grammar. In my native language, the grammar doesn't change so much depending on gender.
I'm trying to deconstruct it by seeing some basic patterns in these sentences;

The apple is red.
It is John’s apple.
I give John the apple.
We give him the apple.
He gives it to John.
She gives it to him.
I must give it to him.

My own poor translation;

El manzana es roja
Es la manzana de John
yo dar John la manzana
nosotros dar el manzana
Él le da a John
ella se lo da
yo deber dar ella a el
yo querer a dar ella a ella

I'm trying to figure out the basic grammar rules, so I have a better foundation, but it confuses me. If anyone could tell me the correct way to grammar-structure these, it would be a big help! Gracias!

yo le doy a john la manzana
nosotros le damos la manzana
El se la da a john
ella se la da
yo se lo debo dar a el
se lo quiero dar a ella

The apple is red.
It is John’s apple.
I give John the apple.
We give him the apple.
He gives it to John.
She gives it to him.
I must give it to him.

La manzana es roja.
Es la manzana de John.
Yo le doy a John la manzana.
Nosotros le damos a él la manzana.
Él se la da a John.
Ella se la da a él.
Yo debo dársela a él.
Yo quiero dársela a ella.

Spaniard here!

Un quick pregunta: ¿Es posible para hacer Google Translate, uh, tutear? I'm tired of it always using "usted/ustedes" for "you", along with 3rd person verb endings; I need to learn my second person verb endings!

GYODX

I disagree.

We would say "vamos a aprender" where I'm from. "Decir algo mal" is something we'd say, too.

Santiako

As far as I know, you can't make Google Translate "tutear".

I think I don't quite understand what you meant then. Can you elaborate?

Quiere que al traducir de inglés a español, el resultado salga escrito con tuteo. Ahora mismo, las traducciones salen con usted en lugar de tu.

Mik2121

Weird, I'm translating random phrases from English to Spanish and they all use "tu" instead of "usted"... but only for questions!? If I write something like "you can drive" it translates to "usted puede conducir" but if I put "can you drive?" it translates it to "puedes conducir?"

In fact, trying it again it said "Puede usted manejar?" which I assume is from Mexico and not from Spain. But typing it again showed me the Spain version "Puedes conducir?".

Google Translate is so weird...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Weird, I'm translating random phrases from English to Spanish and they all use "tu" instead of "usted"... but only for questions!? If I write something like "you can drive" it translates to "usted puede conducir" but if I put "can you drive?" it translates it to "puedes conducir?"

In fact, trying it again it said "Puede usted manejar?" which I assume is from Mexico and not from Spain. But typing it again showed me the Spain version "Puedes conducir?".

Google Translate is so weird...
Ah, I believe Google Translate always uses usted as it's generally accepted to be more formal and universal. I tried the google.es version and it shows the same results.

Desmond

I've been studying Spanish and Japanese in University back home. Been in Japan since September and have forgotten a lot of my Spanish. As I have to start producing Spanish assignments to my Uni next semester this thread will be my go-to I think lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If a girl/girlfriend often ends her texts/messages with besos, what is a proper reply from a guy? Do guys also say besos?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
From my experience only girls send "besos" after finishing a conversation. I usually say "Hablamos luego, cuídate".

Really? Seems a bit inconsiderate especially if she put a lot of emphasis on besos. This is why I hate texting, you never know how a message will be interpreted.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Really? Seems a bit inconsiderate especially if she put a lot of emphasis on besos. This is why I hate texting, you never know how a message will be interpreted.

I always use the same, besos.

Valkyria

Banned
If a girl/girlfriend often ends her texts/messages with besos, what is a proper reply from a guy? Do guys also say besos?

If the girl is not my girlfriend y usually use: Un abrazo. For me "besos" sounds a bit out of place, but it is not incorrect in anyway,

HardRojo

I don't know, maybe it's just me but most (if not all) girls I usually talk to finish the conversation by saying "besos", I don't feel like sending kisses, not even to the girl I'm currently dating so I go "Hablamos luego, cuídate". It's up to you really, it's not like besos is wrong.

Eres el hueso de mi espada.
You need to find a funda for that espada first.

Hey, I'm learning Spanish right now and have a couple of questions

If you're talking about eating, when do you say 'como' and 'come'? I don't know which one to use

kami_sama

Hey, I'm learning Spanish right now and have a couple of questions

If you're talking about eating, when do you say 'como' and 'come'? I don't know which one to use

'Como' if you're talking about yourself. "I eat a salad" - "Como ensalada". "Come" if you're talking about a third person. "He eats a salad" - "Él come una ensalada."

What would you guys use to supplement Duolingo Spanish? My friend (who also happens to be spanish!) helps too, but I don't see him all that often

It's just small things like getting confused when to use esta vs es. Or like Dela vs del or al

What would you guys use to supplement Duolingo Spanish? My friend (who also happens to be spanish!) helps too, but I don't see him all that often

It's just small things like getting confused when to use esta vs es. Or like Dela vs del or al

this isn't a thing

and I'd remended some kind of structured class or tutoring session at the beginning to grasp that formulaic stuff. Duolingo is more for vocab in my experience, It seems very difficult to learn grammar from anything but a more structured learning environment were you can ask questions.

The examples you listed is only going to come from reading and constant usage (especially es and esta, you just kinda start thinking that way)

Caronte

Hmmm? Esta = This, Es = Is, they are completely different things. Dela doesn't exist, Del = de+el, al = a+el.

Edit: nevermind, you probably meant 'está' which is a verb. That's probably going to be hard for you since both verbs are the same in English.

Kain

I can see how the use of the verb to be is confusing since it's basically divided in two in spanish, think of it this way: estar -> something physical, ser -> something non-physical

It's a somewhat rough rule, but it's something to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom