• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Spiritual successor revealed on this month's EDGE

Sydle

Can't believe we're going to see new games revealed from Playtonic and (post-Kinect) Rare this year. I'm so excited.

Betty said:
I've played everything aside from their Kinect titles and none of their newer games come anywhere close to the Nintendo 64 days. Since the original Xbox they've been really uninspiring.

Sure, it's hard to top the impact titles like Banjo, Conker, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had, but it really feels like they haven't even been trying.

I've played everything they've made in the last 25 years and I think Viva Pinata is easily among the best games they've ever made. Kameo and N&B were really good.

Their 360 Kinect Sports titles were crafted extremely well, far out-classing the inspiring product (Wii Sports) in every way.

-MD-

I'm sorry. I really don't get where this "MICROSOFT KILLED RARE" talk comes from. Rare has made very good games (and some not so good ones admittedly) since Microsoft has bought them. Well received games too. I get that nostalgia is a hell of a feeling but guys, don't crap all over what current rare has made just because its not what your nostalgia wants it to be.

They haven't made a non Kinect Sports game in 7 years.

Nzyme32

I'm sorry. I really don't get where this "MICROSOFT KILLED RARE" talk comes from. Rare has made very good games (and some not so good ones admittedly) since Microsoft has bought them. Well received games too. I get that nostalgia is a hell of a feeling but guys, don't crap all over what current rare has made just because its not what your nostalgia wants it to be.

Well received by the press maybe. My personal experience was a massive drop in quality titles since the N64. In fact, I can't think of a Rare title that I genuinely got joy from since the N64.

MiszMasz

Since the acquisition, they've had Conker: L&R, Kameo, Viva Piñata and Nuts & Bolts, the rest has been entirely forgettable and nothing of note has come out since 2008 (and the Stampers leaving). They've been largely wasted, and the guys that used to work at and make Rare special have left. Part of it is nostalgia, but it's hard to deny that it's just a Rare-labelled husk of its former self.

Rare post-MS was absolutely still Rare. It wasn't until 2009 that it all went to hell.

Kinect Sports 1 is the last one that a lot of vets worked on and a lot left during its development. Hell virtually everyone at Playtonic is credited in KS1 but quote a few not so in the sequels.

MS also absolutely mismanaged to company. Here's one example of this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707691

DAMN.

I don't think Nintendo ever killed a project by Rare, yeah they would insist in changes, though outside of making Dinosaur Planet a SF game, and suggesting Diddy for what would become DKR, what else was there? And Diddy wasn't forced I think Rare decided for themselves to do so and it paid off massively.

Also making Dinosaur Planet a Star Fox game got Nintendo an IP they would've lost, so it was a genius idea in retrospective... even if they did squat with it other than in Star Fox Assault. :p

Also I'm certain Rare had a far higher say in what they did at Nintendo.

Snorlocs

Since the acquisition, they've had Conker: L&R, Kameo, Viva Piñata and Nuts & Bolts, the rest has been entirely forgettable and nothing of note has come out since 2008 (and the Stampers leaving). They've been largely wasted, and the guys that used to work at and make Rare special have left. Part of it is nostalgia, but it's hard to deny that it's just a Rare-labelled husk of its former self.

You've stated 4 great games and left out others? How is that not good?

Snorlocs

I understand what you guys are saying. Nintendo Rare was amazing. What I don't get is why you dismiss all their other great games just because it wasn't Nintendo Rare quality. People leave, People move on. Companies evolve. Rare wasn't an exception. The level of Rare bashing seems unwarranted.

Conker: L&R, Kameo, Viva Piñata and Nuts & Bolts, the rest has been entirely forgettable and nothing of note has come out since 2008

Boom, there it is.

And the Conker and Banjo installments aren't without their flaws. Nuts & Bolts was flawed on a conceptual level (Should have been a new IP), while Conker was a bit botched where it mattered most (The censorship and also cutting out the already great multiplayer for an inferior online-based one that would basically be outdated in half a decade anyway).

Meanwhile Kameo and Viva Pinata were new IPs, but neither them as great as what had come before the acquisition.

(inb4 someone cites Grabbed By The Ghoulies as a good post-buyout game...)

hydruxo

Hyped!

GVFbI3L.jpg

MiszMasz

You've stated 4 great games and left out others? How is that not good?

You could list these other great games so we know where your argument's coming from, but granted subjectivity accounts for a lot in all of this and i'm not sure we need to bicker about that sort of thing too much. Still, feel free if there's a standout that you think i've completely missed.
Beside the above, four ok games since the end of 2002 is not very good considering who we're talking about, their prior performance and the buckets of cash MS have lying around the place.

(inb4 someone cites Grabbed By The Ghoulies as a good post-buyout game...)

Or Perfect Dark Zero, "Because the multiplayer was fun for a bit".
Ugh.gif

MagnesD3

Everything made by rare after being acquired by MS minus viva pininata and perfect dark zero has been hot garbage. Playtonic is the only hope.

emb

Everything made by rare after being acquired by MS minus viva pininata and perfect dark zero has been hot garbage. Playtonic is the only hope.
Kameo seemed pretty cool. I never bought it though, so maybe it fell apart in the full game.

I wasn't big on PDZ or BK:Nuts and Bolts. I wouldn't say the latter was terrible though, just not what I wanted.

-MD-

Or Perfect Dark Zero, "Because the multiplayer was fun for a bit".

PDZ's multiplayer was incredible though at the time, I played it like 10 hours a day for a year.

I personally liked Nuts & Bolts even though it was a disappointing entry in the BK series, I was never a fan of Viva Pinata though so if you take away Nuts & bolts Rare hasn't made anything of great importance to me since 2005.

Leflus

No, not at all. It's never good to see people lose their jobs unless they personally deserve it. And there's no reason any new talent can't also go to Playtonic (or elsewhere). I'm just saying that Microsoft completely destroyed Rare, and it's nice to imagine those responsible actually having to acknowledge their own failure and suffer the consequences.
Meh. I'm disappointed by the way Rare has been handled for the past 5-6 years, but I'd rather stay optimistic and hope that the new devs at Rare can create new and great experiences. Being bitter about it isn't going to help anyone.

Because you know... One great game from Playtonic and one great game from Rare is better than only one from Playtonic.

Salty Hippo

Also I'm certain Rare had a far higher say in what they did at Nintendo.

Rare was owned and run by the Stampers during the entire pre-Microsoft era, of course they had a lot more say then.

People constantly seem to forget that Nintendo purchased only 49% of Rare. They didn't run or manage the studio at all.

MagnesD3

Kameo seemed pretty cool. I never bought it though, so maybe it fell apart in the full game.

I wasn't big on PDZ or BK:Nuts and Bolts. I wouldn't say the latter was terrible though, just not what I wanted.
Gave Kameo 3 hours to get good. It is as mediocre as it comes. Terrible controls as well. My only praises go to visuals and music and even that could be better.

There are interesting concepts there like the transformations but its so poorly executed, it could have been good if it was made by the old Rare crew.

BK nuts and bolts is an atrocity, after playing an hour I burned my copy with gasoline. (Banjo Kazooie is my favorite game of all time btw.)

Leflus

Gave Kameo 3 hours to get good. It is as mediocre as it comes. Terrible controls as well. My only praises go to visuals and music and even that could be better.

There are interesting concepts there like the transformations but its so poorly executed, it could have been good if it was made by the old Rare crew.

BK nuts and bolts is an atrocity, after playing an hour I burned my copy with gasoline. (Banjo Kazooie is my favorite game of all time btw.)
Kameo (and Nuts & Bolts) was made by the old Rare crew.

Most of the 90s era veterans were still working for Rare in 2005. The Goldeneye team members left Rare in the late 90s/early 2000s, but they wouldn't have been working on Kameo anyway.

The Rare Rennisance will start this year... believe.
*Crosses fingers*

I have high hopes for Project Ukulele and Rusty Pup. I'm eager to see what Rare is working on as well.

MagnesD3

Kameo (and Nuts & Bolts) was made by the old Rare crew.

Most of the 90s era veterans were still working for Rare in 2005. The Goldeneye team members left Rare in the late 90s/early 2000s, but they wouldn't have been working on Kameo anyway.

*Crosses fingers*

I have high hopes for Project Ukulele and Rusty Pup. I'm eager to see what Rare is working on as well.

Before they left nintendo for microsoft several people just straight up left, I feel nintendo might have known that the talent in the company was starting to dissolve.

Rare was basically dead even before they went to MS, plenty of people were eager to leave including the brothers.

Starfox Adventures was the last gem by old rare.

Leflus

Before they left nintendo for microsoft several people just straight up left, I feel nintendo might have known that the talent in the company was starting to dissolve.

Rare was basically dead even before they went to MS, plenty of people were eager to leave including the brothers.

Starfox Adventures was the last gem by old rare.
Who are these people you are talking about?

The guys behind Conker, Banjo, DKC, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Starfox Adventures etc. were still there in 2005. Most of them were still at Rare in 2009.

Leflus

I'll admit that the list has a few more names than I expected, but it doesn't really contradict my point either.

If you look at the employees who left and the employees who stayed behind, you'll see that the creative minds behind those games worked at Rare for a long time after the aquisition.

Thats an amazing article.

Heres an interview with the brothers http://www.p4rgaming.com/exclusive-interview-with-tim-and-chris-stamper/
Lol. P4r is the"The Onion" of the videogame world.

MagnesD3

I'll admit that the list has a few more names than I expected, but it doesn't really contradict my point either.

If you look at the employees who left and the employees who stayed behind, you'll see that the creative minds behind those games worked at Rare for a long time after the aquisition.

Lol. P4r is the"The Onion" of the videogame world.

Lol whoops I just googled stamper brothers XD and saw them talking about what I mentioned. Good thing somebody else brought a way better article. I had no clue what P4r was, the onion is a bizarre concept to me.

Regardless Rare was crumbling at the seams and is a shell of its former self. Grabbed is bad, Remade a worse version of Conker, Kameo is bad, PDZ might be bad (need to play it, heard mixed things), Bk the atrocity is bad. Viva pinata is literally the only good game that shell has created.

hydruxo

N&B was an awesome, under appreciated game. It gets hated on because it was a Banjo game without platforming, but it did a lot of cool stuff. If it had been a new IP I bet it would've been way more popular.

Leflus

It's too bad Retro Studios couldn't snatch up David Wise, but it's good to see him on a new IP with fellow ex-Rares.
They're free to contract him any time they want. It's up to David Wise of course, but I think he would accept if Retro asked him to do another DKC soundtrack.

NEO0MJ

I think he was supporting you? Really, the only major team that had a big migration before the buyout was the FPS team. The rest were mostly intact. A few leaving isn't an exodus, it's normal.

MagnesD3

N&B was an awesome, under appreciated game. It gets hated on because it was a Banjo game without platforming, but it did a lot of cool stuff. If it had been a new IP I bet it would've been way more popular.

I played it an hour and it felt like a clunky mess, with a huge open world with nothing to do but boring timed race crud.

MagnesD3

Right, because an hour is long enough to fully judge a game right? Not saying it's for everyone but it was hardly an atrocity.

It was plenty, the controls were sooo bad. I didnt get an ounce of joy from it, the only thing interesting was the fact banjo and kazooie had grown fat from doing nothing for years, that was actually funny but everything else was garbage, mediocre at best.

blacksark

New post from playtonic

The Playtonic team experienced a crisis of confidence this week, as the bosses conceded it might be necessary to hire a man who neither spent a single day employed at Rare, nor whom is Northern enough to end each sentence with “m’duck” or know *what on Earth* a “cob” is on the office cafe menu.

Former games journalist Andy Robinson – the chap with the forced smirk below – joins as writer and web editor this week, which means if you spot any typos at all, anywhere, then he’s squarely to blame.

Andy used to be editor of famous games publication CVG and according to his LinkedIn page has had work published in Edge and The Sunday Mirror. With all that experience, we’ve enforced strict fines for if he ever uses an apostrophe erroneously on Twitter. He’s been a massive fan of our past work and he’s now a fan on the inside who’ll be the first to scream at us should we step out of line with any bad ideas all you other fans wouldn’t like…he’s already vetoed 5 ideas today based upon a magic wrench and the buidling of vehicles…

The Southern fairy esteemed wordsmith joins at an exciting time for the studio, not just because we’ve received delivery of a new kettle, but because we’re preparing to show a tiny tease of our first game at EGX Rezzed on Saturday.

You’ll be able to watch the whole talk streamed live from 4pm GMT, but to be absolutely clear, you speculative scamps, our presentation *won’t* be a bombastic, E3-style unveiling, but we will have *some* cool stuff to show you.

What I've bolded hahahaha

-MD-

He’s been a massive fan of our past work and he’s now a fan on the inside who’ll be the first to scream at us should we step out of line with any bad ideas all you other fans wouldn’t like…he’s already vetoed 5 ideas today based upon a magic wrench and the buidling of vehicles…

Ouch lol.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Love the jab at Nuts and Bolts.

It sounds like he's just going to be running twitter though, not actually working on the game itself, right?

Top Bottom