• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-annual game series that always get better with each mainline sequel.

Hollycat

Persona
Pokemon
GTA
Elder Scrolls (imo)
Fallout
Ratchet and Clank
Rayman
Warriors Orochi
Disgaea
God of War
Little Big Planet

Raonak

Banned
IMO; I wouldn't really pick OP's mentions.
I mean, yes, they improve in each iteration, but that's because they play it to incredibly safe, barely adding anything noteworthy in each iteration.

Pokemon is especially shoddy, because it IS an annualised sequel, and it constantly removes cool features from past games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would say Grand Theft Auto. Everyone has their opinions but you can't deny the strides made from SA to IV to V in terms of physics, graphics, mechanics and performance.

Some aspects were improved from SA to IV, sure, but overall IV is a much worse game. V is the best in the series though.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
The fact that you forgot to mention the fourth game says a lot though...

Far Cry or Gears? Far Cry that's a typo, why would I say FC2 has things absent in FC2? :p

Gears, I wouldn't consider Judgement to be a mainline sequel, and I'm sure most would agree.

Booshka

Can I not count the 989 Twisted Metal games and say that franchise?

PS3 Twisted Metal is actually fantastic as a MP or just straight up Challenge Deathmatch game. The singleplayer is a little disappointing, but it is definitely an improvement where it matters over the previous games. I think TMB is better than 2, which is better than 1.

Whoever is saying Elder Scrolls is way off, Morrowind is still the best one.

Dremark

Banned
If it weren't for Sunshine, I'd say the Super Mario series would be the perfect answer, since it got better with every entry. But then... what does "mainline" mean, in the case of Super Mario? Handheld titles don't count?

Yeah, it's a shame Galaxy didn't hold up to Sunshine but it was still a great game in it's own right.

Honestly I don't know if I'd put all of the 3D ones above the early 2D ones. Even though they are all technically the same series it's like comparing apples to oranges so they might as well be seperate.

mclem

I'd say Civilization, although its always an "...eventually" type deal, as the next installment vanilla release has been a weaker game than the previous one with all expansions and patches included.

I'm not sure I'd say Civ III ever reaches a point that tops Civ II. Beyond that, though, I agree.

For those of you saying Pokémon it doesn't count since it is an annual series.
Nah, it really doesn't count because of the constant arbitrary addition and removal of features and the unoptimized games.

Persona is the only series that I actually play that I think fits this category.

Top Bottom