• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 3 |OT| Welcome to the New Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

Is it too much to hope for that Oliver will take the job. I'd love to see him try to turn the League of Assassin's into an army of Arrow vigilantes.

Perhaps not-Batman Incorporated?

WTF Olie is Batman now, Ras offering him his daughter..Batarrow, with a little bit Iron Atom Man..this season has no fucking direction writers are all over the place..

I'd totally be fine with this if they put a bit more effort into their script and tried to make their story a bit more coherent.

Mario007

Is it too much to hope for that Oliver will take the job. I'd love to see him try to turn the League of Assassin's into an army of Arrow vigilantes.

Perhaps not-Batman Incorporated?

I'd totally be fine with this if they put a bit more effort into their script and tried to make their story a bit more coherent.

I will definitely take it. This is more of character moment for him, really. After season 2 Olliver Queen basically doesn't exist anymore. It's only Arrow. He lost his parents, he can't get the woman he loved, the only one left for him to care from his Oliver Queen persona is Thea. As a result he's been Arrow more and more and basically has dedicated his life fully to that persona. That is why he felt humiliated after he lost to Ra's. This was the one thing he was good at and he still lost. Back in Starling others have shown him that they can take care of the city. Basically Oliver Queen doesn't exist, Arrow is not needed then the only thing for him to be is Ra's.

I bet at around episode 19 he realises he can be much more and will comfort Ra's and that will play out at the end of the season.

What if their plan is to use Arrow to springboard as many superheroes as possible--nevermind what it does to the Arrow continuity--and then just fix it all with Flashpoint?

Blader

And last week's episode was with Slade right? This makes two weeks in a row where Oliver is dumb and sucks enough to end up captured. I really don't know where Oliver's arc is going...he's less of the hero and green arrow I saw in the past two seasons.

I don't think this is new to this season either and it's one of my biggest issues with the show: Oliver is a constant loser.

In S1 he was dominant, an actual force to be reckoned with; when he dropped out of the sky and growled "You have failed this city," he was fucking mean. That's what made his fights with Merlyn so exciting, because they're both in peak performance and willing to go all out against each other. Everyone in S1 looks up to Oliver or looks to him for guidance and follows his example.

In S2 and 3 he is constantly being defeated, constantly making the wrong calls, constantly making the worst decisions while everyone else around him is talking actual sense that gets ignored. It was especially bad with Slade, where every confrontation between him and Oliver ended up with him losing, retreating, or giving up. It's so annoying and is badly undermining him as the lead character.

Not that he's going to take Ra's offer or do anything that isn't "I'll never join you" anyway, but I hope he does if only because he sorely needs his badass presence again.

Duress

How does Ray Palmer fit into this whole story? They really should've tied up that story line, before dealing with this League of Assassins stuff.

spin off with atom, sara as canary and cpt cold confirmed

http://collider.com/the-flash-arrow-spinoff/

tumblr_l93wm93ueb1qanb21o1_500.gif

It doesn't confirm that Caity Lotz is reprising her role, though it would seem strange otherwise.

So what the hell is this series supposed to be, exactly?

I think this clearly means Sara is being resurrected via the Lazarus Pit. She comes back all wrong, though. The season ends with her putting arrows in Laurel, who falls off a rooftop and lands in a dumpster. It's really the only way to save this dumpster fire of a show.

It's not a dumpster fire of a show. I just want to fit in with the new Arrow-Gaf.

Wiktor

I hoped for somebody new for 3rd spin off. Azrael, Zatanna, Timothy Hunter or Booster Gold. Or in absence of that a suicide squad show.

Chariot

I hoped for somebody new for 3rd spin off. Azrael, Zatanna, Timothy Hunter or Booster Gold. Or in absence of that a suicide squad show.
Zatanna would be the best. We have a fadget hero, a science one and an alien one with Supergirl. Magic based woman would be the perfect fourth entry.

Joni

He sent assassins to kill Sara until she was either dead or went back into the League. That was going on in the beginning of S2. Then Nyssa went to Starling to bring her back, and when Sara "killed" herself, then Nyssa decided to leave and pull the League out of there. Afterwords Sara rejoined.
He didn't care about her, he never has and he never will. The League members that attacked Sara always said she needed to come back first which doesn't make sense if it is Ra's sending them for honor killings. Nyssa was sending them to get her back.

Morokh

After watching the episode, the whole Oliver's logic didn't feel as 'pushed' as you guys made it out to be, but I agree it didn't feel really natural.

Neither did the seemingly casual way Oliver and Dig made their way into Nanda Parbat.

The ending is actually what made absolutely no sense to me.

Joni

Considering the news about the spin-off and the return of
Caity Lotz
I can see Oliver accepting the offer if Ra's offers the correct enticement, aka
the revival of Sara

Frog-fu

Banned
My biggest beef with this season is that great material is being wasted, squandered, and generally poorly executed. The writers are in a constant rush to push the plot forward, seemingly no matter what it takes to get to the next point, regardless or how that turns out.

I feel as though the writers have been looking forward to executing their take on the League of Shadows for so long that they've gotten impatient. Maybe the poor writing has to do with staff changes due to The Flash, maybe it doesn't, but one thing is for sure, them trying to get to good parts as quickly as possible hasn't been paying off.

Oliver's "death" had no impact. His absence had no impact. Brick's half-assed TDKR Bane impression had no impact. Slade's brief return had no impact. And now, Oliver going Frank Castle on the League only to be offered a reward has no impact.

All of it felt and feels like simply going through the motions. These developments would have been so much better served if the show had taken its time

I'm sad to say but there are only two-three things I can see save this season.
1. Diggle, who's had a number of death flags raised last episode, dies to reinforce the notion no one is safe and galvanise Oliver in taking some kind of action, good or bad doesn't really matter.
2. Malcolm dies and Tommy replaces him as the new Dark Archer. Preferably, Tommy is the one that kills Malcolm, shooting his father full with arrows seconds after he is presented by Ra's. Of course Oliver is there to bear witness to his best friend murdering his father in cold blood, thus coming somewhat full circle in regards to his fear of Thea becoming like that and redeeming him slightly for being a man baby.

Why? Batman suit is pure crap for live action :)
The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises improved on it a lot, though.
I think this clearly means Sara is being resurrected via the Lazarus Pit. She comes back all wrong, though. The season ends with her putting arrows in Laurel, who falls off a rooftop and lands in a dumpster. It's really the only way to save this dumpster fire of a show.

It's not a dumpster fire of a show. I just want to fit in with the new Arrow-Gaf.
Time and tide. Time and tide. I'm used to this kind of thing. Hyperbolic shit like this always happens.

While I wouldn't go that far, the show does feel like it's running on fumes somewhat. There's no natural progression to the story at the moment, as someone said earlier, it just feels like a push to go from one scene to the next, where there's no development, it's just a push to reach a set conclusion.

GreedZen

Banned
Oliver and Thea were exceptionally stupid this episode.

Oliver has the dumbest reason in the world to go save Malcolm, who killed his girlfriend, and meanwhile young Thea decides to ignore the fact her brother is, as far as she know, off to risk his life for her sake and she lets Nyssa out to kill her? omfd.

Here here. I can't believe how weak this season is compared to 1 & 2. Who knew Oliver could become more annoying that Laurel.

Weak flashbacks, no real villain, too much melodrama, Ray subplot seemingly going nowhere fast, Brick, Diggle's baby, Roy's flips, Count Vertigo.... again, Felicity & Ray, Felicity & Oliver will they won't they and so much more crap has made this season the worst.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It does?

She's also mentioned it on Twitter

There has been no official announcement that Caity Lotz will be reprising her Black Canary. Any website that says so is speculating.

All we know right now is that she has a part on a show that is still in the earliest stages of development.

JustinBB7

Can only Ra's use the pit btw? And is there a limit on the uses?

I read it makes people a bit crazy or something, but if they are really thinking about bringing
Sara back that way, Olie could bring back a lot more people, both his parents/tomy etc.

So, they had a decent episode or two, and then slipped back to stupidity.

Somebody needs (needed?) to tell the showrunners/writers that there's a difference between dumb fun (Flash) and just plain dumb. I can't really relate to many of the characters or comprehend their behavior anymore. It all seems so forced and artificial.

I'm on board through the end of the season, no matter what. And I will watch the start of S4 to see if they've regained their mojo. But I'm not that hopeful.

Viewt

Can only Ra's use the pit btw? And is there a limit on the uses?

I read it makes people a bit crazy or something, but if they are really thinking about bringing
Sara back that way, Olie could bring back a lot more people, both his parents/tomy etc.

In comics lore (at least pre-New 52, I dunno about now), anybody can use the Lazarus Pit, but there are some drawbacks. For one, repeated use of the pit lessens its yield. So every time you use it, you're going to get less time before you need to use it again. Eventually you'll have to either die or switch bodies (R'as has attempted this multiple times) to restart the process.

The other issue is that the pit is really only meant to be used when you're old or injured, not after death. There can be serious side effects to using it after you die, including insanity (hell, this is a possibility when using it even when you're still alive), memory loss and personality shifts.

So Sara being put into the pit after death (and so long after death, too) could have huge effects on her character.

Blader

Surely there has to be some statute of limitations on using the Pit. If not Sara, then Tommy at least must have wasted away to nothing but bones by now.

After watching the episode, the whole Oliver's logic didn't feel as 'pushed' as you guys made it out to be, but I agree it didn't feel really natural.

Neither did the seemingly casual way Oliver and Dig made their way into Nanda Parbat.

The ending is actually what made absolutely no sense to me.

I think the only thing about it that doesn't make sense is that Ra's was looking for a successor at all; the writers never actually established that as a thing except for a throwaway line by Malcolm at Nyssa. So as a plot turn it kind of came out of nowhere.

But the actual offer itself make sense if you think about what Oliver must look like from Ra's perspective. He's the first guy, seemingly ever, to fight with Ra's, survive, and then come back for more. He might have lost that fight and may not be nearly as strong as Ra's is (yet), but there's a foundation in Oliver that Ra's can build on that no one else has ever presented to him. Training is nothing and will is everything, and all that.

I like how Oliver told Thia not to tell anyone about her killing Sarah and the next episode she tells everyone. lmfao. Also Laural continues to be useless and annoying.

edit: also yea i do agree that Oliver is doing some pretty dumb shit. challenging the entire league cause he's salty that he lost? oh boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom