• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl Scout Cookie GAF: Caramel deLites or Somoas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey Cakes

9142db9a89f04948ddf5180b72a84680.jpg

Today one of my coworkers brought in Girl Scout Cookies from the two distinct bakeries. She wanted people to have the chance to decide their preference.

Caramel deLites are made by ABC Bakers.

Samoas are made by Little Brownie Bakers (Keebler).

The main difference seems to be that the latter are made with dark chocolate as opposed to milk chocolate.

For those who've had the opportunity to try each, which do you believe is superior? Or, are these cookies on equal footing?

Bonus question: Where do Keebler's own "Coconut Dreams" fit into the equation?

I, personally, grew up with Caramel deLites so I have a bias. Not yet have I done a taste test to compare other varieties, such as Thin Mints/Grasshoppers.

tbhysgb

I like caramel delites more. But my wife loves Samoa's. I generally get her the keebler version at the store. Kinda close I think.

Tagalongs and dosidos please.

I've bought 11 boxes of girl scout cookies this year. My coworker keeps bringing them in for us.

They don't sell either of those in Canada, but I guess I'd go with the milk chocolate ones over anything dark chocolate.

We get the Oreo-like ones, which are great. Well, the chocolate ones anyways. And the mints, which are crap.

(I don't like mints and chocolate together)

I did not know they use more than 1 bakery/recipe for 1 type of cookie. I thought Caramel Delites are just the new name for Somoas for PC reasons. That said, I'm not a coconut fan so neither.

1. Thin Mints
2. Thanks-a-lots
3. Shortbread

everything else

Davey Cakes

Apologies for the misspelling in the thread title.

Wow, a lot of Thin Mints love in this thread! Again, there may be slight differences between the ABC, LBB, and actual Keebler Grasshoppers.

One would say the existence of Grasshoppers and other such cookies undermine the Girl Scout versions, especially since they can be found cheaper. I don't think it's that simple though. To be honest I'm not the biggest fan of Thin Mints but for some reason I do prefer the Girl Scout branded version.

Coconut Dreams are in the ballpark I think.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Wait, there are two different versions? Never knew that..

Samoas for life then frozen Thin Mints.

Blader

Tagalongs 4 lyfe

I didn't even realize caramel delites and somoas were two separate things, just thought it was the same cookie renamed.

Straight out of the freezer Thin Mints and Tagalongs for life. I also like Savannah Smiles and Trefoils as well.

But, if I had to choose from what's in the OP, Samoas.

Anyone who has not tasted a Thin Mint is literally the devil. Cold thin mints are heavenly.

Savannah Smiles are also amazing.

Hiltz

I bought some girl scout cookies two weeks ago from my neighbor's daughter. Thin Mints are my favorites, but we also got Samoa's which I didn't like.

Instro

We tested this in work during girl scout season. Even though it says one is dark chocolate, we couldn't really detect a difference. Although one was refrigerated, which may have messed up the test.

These are the best girl scout cookie. Follow by Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs and Thin Mints(in the freezer).

Mego Thor

Neo Member
I had never seen nor heard of Caramel deLites prior to this thread. Samoas are the light. The Keebler version is acceptable when it isn't Girl Scout Cookie season.

Huh, I was under the impression that Somoas were changed to Caramel deLites because the name was deemed offensive. I never see Samoas anymore.

Frozen Thin Mints are the best, btw.

Bitanator

I found Keebler's "Coconut Dreams" very bland with not a lot of taste and not as chewy texture. Safeway has cookies that to me mouth-feel wise match samoas but nothing beats those gifts from the gods in taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom