• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be a discrepancy between the brightness settings of your displays. Try doing what the update explanation dude did. Turn the brightness all the way down, then bring it up and check the picture. If at all the way down you see white/gold, your eyes aren't as good at picking up the blue in low/dim light situations. If at max brightness you see blue/black/gold, your eyes can see the blue, but it needs to be very bright; if you still see white, the overexposed picture makes it hard for your eyes to notice the blue at all and is messing with you in an optical illusion type of manner.

I did the brightness change on the iPad and saw blue all the way through. Now I have to wait to get home to see if it's the same for the N7.

nnkm6rha_zpssvzwtmyg.jpg

nnkm6rha_zps2oiavfqj.png

Cropped in Photoshop the supposed white part for sure looks blue, but it sure as heck isn't super dark blue.

The gold part doesn't look black though. Dark Gold? Sure!
Ya, its goldish if you cherrypick that one section at the top. The rest is clearly black. :p

Luigi87

Uh, wow.
I just looked at this thread, read a few pages, and left. Then my friend mentions taking a Gen 1 Pokemon Trainer personality test on Buzzfeed, so I go to Buzzfeed, but accidentally go to their tumblr, and first thing I see: This damn dress again!

Anyone who sees blue/black saw an optical illusion, photoshop samples show that the ACTUAL PICTURE we are seeing, is in fact light blue and gold/brown-ish, and this cannot be argued. The actual color of the dress doesn't matter.

If I took a picture of the sky, then inverted the colors so the sky appears orange, then the sky is orange. The real sky may be blue, but the picture. Is. Orange. If you're still seeing a blue sky, your eyes are messed up.

People who see blue/black can probably tell you its brownish up top due to the lighting. It's definitely darker grey/black near the bottom.

Unknown.png

It's the White/Gold who are aliens

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

Arcadius

Banned
I did the brightness change on the iPad and saw blue all the way through. Now I have to wait to get home to see if it's the same for the N7.

Cool beans. For the dude saying it's a calibration issue, I don't think so. On my shitty TN panel Laptop, I still see blue/brown-gold/black. Even with TN color shift, even at low brightness. I honestly believe it's about the blue cones like the explanation in the OP.

cajunator

Banned
In the end both white & gold and blue & black are wrong because even though there's no white there's no black in the picture either.

The actual dress is black and blue but the picture shows light blue and dark gold colors. If you're seeing actual black in the picture your eyes are just as wonky as those who see white & gold.

The only place it looks black is at the bottom.
It does look gold in other places but the brain compensates for that. Its the blue thats really being debated.

ItIsOkBro

No. The color of the dress is in fact blue with black. The optical illusion is that it looks like the dress is white with gold in the picture to some (weirdos).

color optical illusions are broken by using a color picking tool. if you do that you get gold to brown but not black.

lord knows whats going on in the brains of those that see black.

Idontknow

Last night, I saw white & gold, this morning I see white & gold.

My roommate didn't see it last night, but this morning, he says it's dark blue & black. I told him most people are seeing it as white & gold. He thinks they're insane, "WHAT! How can anyone possibly think that's white?"

Last night, I saw white & gold, this morning I see white & gold.

My roommate didn't see it last night, but this morning, he says it's dark blue & black. I told him most people are seeing it as white & gold. He thinks they're insane, "WHAT! How can anyone possibly think that's white?"

Most people in this thread have shitty cones and their eyes aren't working properly.

Where does the black come into play? I only saw light blue and light brown(yellow tint), to darkish brown(orange tint).

This picture had me so baffled I even had to check it with colour picker.

If you do a gamma correction, you will get this.

My brain hurts...

msv

Most people in this thread have shitty cones and their eyes aren't working properly.
Don't think it has anything to do with the retina or the eye. Maybe we should do that one color placing test with all the gradients, and then have people post their score and what they see in the picture, see if there's a correlation.

Anybody know that one test with the bars of gradients, each divided up in blocks that you have to put in the right position?

cbox

This is a load of hot garbage. The dress is white and gold and the camera taking the photo is not white balanced for the scene.

Source: I'm a photographer.

moniker

Here's a new image that should show the two different interpretations quite clearly. I've only played around with white balance and exposure, no other color alterations.

dresslruxs.jpg

My conclusion is that this image is one part Photoshop trickery and one part interpretation on how people see colors and has nothing to do with how good or bad ones eye sight actually is.

I see (or interpret the colors as) white and gold, my co-worker sees (or interprets it as) blue and black.
We discussed it and came to the conclusion that yes, there is a sense of white/blue in that blue/white parts, as well as a bit of yellow/black in the black/yellow parts.

Then we closed Photoshop and came to our final conclusion that viral images are full of shit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This is a load of hot garbage. The dress is white and gold and the camera taking the photo is not white balanced for the scene.

Source: I'm a photographer.

It's already been confirmed that the dress is physically blue, though....

bengraven

Interesting Wired article.

I see it as white but with a light blue tint caused by what I think is shadow. Apparently my brain is simply attributing the color as an illuminate, not the actual color of dress. So my brain is telling me "this is a white dress turned away from the light to show a blueish shadow as it's dark.

But in reality it's a blue dress without an illuminate.

void666

Banned
This discussion will crash the internet. It's everywhere!

Well, it was white and gold before. Now i see it as black and blue.

moniker

But the one on the left has no black, it's still clearly gold.

It's a shitty jpg of a shitty image, so it doesn't actually contain all the data to recreate the correct image. Some parts of the dress is still incorrectly exposed and balanced, but that looks more like a velvet black than gold to me.

Here's a new image that should show the two different interpretations quite clearly. I've only played around with white balance and exposure, no other color alterations.

dresslruxs.jpg

I see black and blue for both of these images, the one on the right is just overexposed.

I saw white and gold about half an hour ago pm the OP.

cajunator

Banned

dresslruxs.jpg

if it was as light as the one on the right sure I would agree that its white, but it isnt. Its much darker.

dresslruxs.jpg

When I still saw it as white/gold, the blue was way lighter, to the point it's hard to tell if it was blue and more white. The black was definitely more yellowish. Background was the same.

[Fugo];153912194 said:
It scares me that Blue/Black people have civil rights and can vote, Burn them with fire!!

:p

Since I used to be a white/gold person don't worry, I'll hide as many of you in my attic as I can during the coming purge.

raphier

Banned
What the fuck

Just a minute ago it was white and gold, now it's black/brownish and blue?

At first I thought it was due the monitor colors. It's not.

Edit: apparently seeing a blue background fucks up the eyes and makes white turn blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom