• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

flkraven

The new Silver Snail location at Yonge and Dundas is a must if you're from out of town, and there's the big EB just down Yonge from there. In the Atrium, around there just to the north of the Eaton Centre, is Game Shack. They've generally got some good prices on retro stuff. If you're heading north past College I would check out One Million Comix and maybe Hairy Tarantula. On Spadina there's a bunch of stuff through Chinatown, all very obvious from the outside. The new A&C Games is at Spadina and College, but I haven't been since the move so I can't really vouch for it. There's a couple retro game places in Kensington, and north of there along College are a bunch of computer stores if you need some cheap parts.

That's some of the major points of interest. Sort of hard to narrow it down not knowing what you're looking for, what you're already familiar with and where you're going on those streets.

For comics, there's a bookstore called BMV west of Yonge and Spadina, the third floor is the comic book/graphic novel/manga floor. Across the street is the Labyrinth, which leans more towards art books, and further west past Bathurst is the Beguiling.
Suspect Video is nearby there too but I haven't been there in like over a decade, so I don't know what they're like now.

A&C Games used to be just south of Yonge and Spadina, but they moved even further south past College, it's a bit of a hassle to walk there from Yonge and Spadina especially in the winter. Even further south from there is AnimeXtreme, lots of figures and merch there. Even further south than that is Meeplemart, a store dedicated to board gaming, although they've got a figure section. Iceman Games has a store a little west of A&C, as well.

And if you're willing to head further east of Yonge and Spadina there's Game Centre which is close to Yonge and Bloor.

If you had a couple of tokens or a day pass, you'd be laughing.

Among what others have mentioned in this thread, you might hit up the Toronto-Age thread as well. OT has suggestions for what you're asking for, but others will have their own.

Thanks for the help guys. You've confirmed everything I've written down. I've planned out my walk/transit path, and you've mentioned all the places I'm hitting up.

Heading to Toronto for a few hours tomorrow. I will be on foot, and will be wandering around younge and spadina. I made a list of places I want to hit, but I would love any suggestions in the area for the following items:

-Video Games, Blurays, & Anime
-Comic Books and Manga
-Anime, Comic, and Gaming Figures and Statues
-Generally, anything having to do with games, comics, and anime (lol)

Thanks a bunch!

Might wanna consult TorontoGAF as well.

Dress warm and walk south down Yonge St. from Bloor station. You'll be able to hit a lot of game and comic stores that way.

As with the other recommendations check out Game Centre at 730 Yonge. Love that place, some of the best game prices in the entire city.

Also since you mentioned anime. Go head down to Spadina Chinatown, check out Anime Xtreme (not a huge fan of them but they're worth checking out at least), Navito World which is around the corner from Anime Xtreme. Navito World is the official Good Smile Company seller in Canada, I think. You'll find A LOT of stuff in there.

flkraven

Might wanna consult TorontoGAF as well.

Dress warm and walk south down Yonge St. from Bloor station. You'll be able to hit a lot of game and comic stores that way.

As with the other recommendations check out Game Centre at 730 Yonge. Love that place, some of the best game prices in the entire city.

Also since you mentioned anime. Go head down to Spadina Chinatown, check out Anime Xtreme (not a huge fan of them but they're worth checking out at least), Navito World which is around the corner from Anime Xtreme. Navito World is the official Good Smile Company seller in Canada, I think. You'll find A LOT of stuff in there.

Nice! Navito world wasn't on my list! I'll check it out!

Renewed

NEW DEAL

I didn't see it posted here, but FutureShop put up one of their One Day Only deals.

It's $5 off Mario Party 10 (base game or bundle).

https://twitter.com/FS_Gamer/status/571372963519434753

uomGPEk.png

Renewed

5$ off is phenomenal nowadays? lol

Circumstances are dire. The bundle is a nice offer in one sense. Since amiibos retail for $13.99 and the game itself is $59.99, you're paying $5 before tax for an amiibo.

Although at the moment that's one of the only ways to get the Super Mario line Mario amiibo (except for the Gold one which is Walmart exclusive).

isny

napkin dispenser
Circumstances are dire. The bundle is a nice offer in one sense. Since amiibos retail for $13.99 and the game itself is $59.99, you're paying $5 before tax for an amiibo.

Although at the moment that's one of the only ways to get the Super Mario line Mario amiibo (except for the Gold one which is Walmart exclusive).

Amazon.ca had the Mario one available for preorder for a few days.

Grimsen

cracked and bought a Hori Hayabusa Kai PS4 stick on amazon.com. Hopefully it ships with USPS. Amazon takes an import fee deposit, but I'd hate to be slapped with an extra fee from UPS or Fedex.

I can't trust Amazon.ca to have these anytime soon. :/

isny

napkin dispenser
Sorry I meant to get that Mario amiibo, you have to get the bundle. Unless you mean the amiibo was offered separately on amazon.ca, in which case I wish I noticed that.

It was. I'm 100% certain it was too as I saw it and thought in the back of my head "I thought someone said something about this being bundle exclusive, ah well, I don't really want one anyway."

Just got my preorder in for Final Fantasy Type-0. I only have medium interest in the game, but I NEED to play that demo. Haven't had one of these demo bundles bait me in a good long while haha, feels good!

ohlawd

all our PSVitas and 3DS's sold to one customer at our Target today

damn

lol

if even the Vita can sell out then the PS4s at my place are probably long gone

talked myself out of it. here I am returning a bunch of my preorders in the latter half of the year. the fuck do I need another system for?

Liberty4all

Banned
Nice! Navito world wasn't on my list! I'll check it out!

I live at Spadina and Front.

Just want to echo what others have said ... you definately want to hit up Game Centre at 730 Yonge. It's inside a small mall on the west side, one block south of bloor.

Also check out Game Shack at Atrium on Bay, 595 Bay St (lower level). http://gameshack.ca/locations

EB Games across from the Eaton Centre (on Yonge St.), is their head location in Toronto. There's a PlayStation lounge on the second floor. Huge store.

vvise

I was in the Target in Waterloo today and they had 2-3 vita's on the shelf at 25% off. If I didn't already have one I would have bought.

The second floor is a branded PlayStation lounge. It's huge with game stations set up all over the floor, couches, etc

It's nice up there. PlayStation Canada has used it for press events, such as a Q&A/interview session with Jose Bautista for MLB 12, I think it was.

Harusame

There are 5 Xbox One Assassin's Creed bundles left at my Target. With the 25% off plus red card 5%, the Xbox is $326 not including tax. I just the Xbox one to complete my collection for this generation of hardware, however I don't know if I should wait or bite right now.

I once saw someone in here asking to buy Nintendo eShop cards at face value through Paypal (not sure why). Anyway, I have 40$ in eShop cards that I would love to sell for their value. Let's say 38$ so the fees won't bring it over 40$. PM me if interested!

Joeku

Yeah someone came in yesterday morning to my Target and bought all eight of our Vitas, our three 3DS XLs, and our various PS3 bundles. So at that point all we had was one each of the two Playstation TV bundles.

Until about a half hour later when twelve more Vitas and like ten Mickey Mouse 2DSs showed up on our truck.

So come to Pickering if you want a Borderlands Vita for $150, I guess.

Yeah someone came in yesterday morning to my Target and bought all eight of our Vitas, our three 3DS XLs, and our various PS3 bundles. So at that point all we had was one each of the two Playstation TV bundles.

Until about a half hour later when twelve more Vitas and like ten Mickey Mouse 2DSs showed up on our truck.

^ that's a steal.

RFD is watching son!

SickBoy

I'm glad I have a little bit more self-control than I once did, otherwise I might have purchased a "backup" Vita at Target yesterday.

My local Targets are a real exercise in contrasts -- my favorite store, near my work, is clearly going to close soon. Shelves are largely bare, and they're consolidating most of their stock up at the front.

Went to a different location yesterday and they were actually announcing they'd had a full truckload come in just that day (or maybe it was Thursday). Shelves were packed, empty food aisles were packed with boxes of unpacked merchandise (lots of toys, apparently).

I think many of the deals are OK. I mean, if you're looking for a game, the discount is pretty good ($30 for a 3DS title? Pretty reasonable). But nothing is discounted enough to make it a no brainer (except maybe systems -- I don't think there's anything but portables and last-gen stuff now). And the problem with the home console stuff is a lot of the stuff there had been cheaper before Christmas (Alien Isolation, I'm looking at you)

SickBoy

not a chance. It's a clearance sale, Target is happy as a pig in shit when one person cleans them out of a bunch of crap. Imposing limits is the last thing they want to do right now

Yeah, I really think retailers should implement limits on general deals -- when someone comes in and grabs your entire stock of an electronics item, I think it's a bit shady. But in a clearance situation, the whole goal is to get things out the door -- not to be fair to customers.

not a chance. It's a clearance sale, Target is happy as a pig in shit when one person cleans them out of a bunch of crap. Imposing limits is the last thing they want to do right now

Pretty much, but yeah it does suck for those who wanted limited type products like the Vita on sale though. The fact we had so many of those sitting in the distribution centres is amazing. What the fuck was Target doing?

Luigi87

oh you gave your 2 weeks notice?

or
did they no longer need you? :O

lol, I wish it was the latter. Found work elsewhere, so gave my two weeks last week. Next week just conveniently coincided with vacation time I booked a month ago, so it worked out for me that I only had to work one more week.

Top Bottom