• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Kingdom hearts series

Back when Kingdom Hearts was first announced I was pissed off. I had a Gamecube :( but in all seriousness, seeing this game on TV and on G4 blew me away. Everything about it seemed perfect, no turn based combat (I was a fool back then) cool looking characters who visited Disney worlds, and the music omg. I used to run to the TV whenever I heard the theme to catch the commercials. But I was never able to play the games because they always came out on systems that I either didn't own or didn't have anymore so for over a decade I've been longing to play this series.

I got KH: 3D when it first came out but put off on playing it because I never played any of the prior games and wanted to before I delved in. I was this close to breaking and just buying a PS2 off Amazon when SE announce the 1.5 collection. I was ecstatic. Bought it day 1, but again, didn't want to play it until I had the 2.5 collection. A year later it was finally mine.

This past December I blew through both collections in less than a months time, I would've done DDD right afterwards but I wanted to play it on the new 3DS so I had to wait a month. As of yesterday I finally completed it and with that I have played through the entire franchise and I have to say it was every bit as amazing as my younger self thought it would be. This series has easily become one of my, if not my, favorite franchises of all time. It's so great the music, the art direction, the story (I may be in the minority in this one), the game play, everything is top notch. Here's how I'd rank the games I've played.

-Kingdom Hearts 2: This and the first game come really close and honestly which one I prefer most could change as I'm typing this but right now I'm giving it to 2. I just loved the sense of scale that the story had, I loved organization 13 and combat wise I definitely think this is the best KH game.

-Kingdom Hearts: This game easily has the best charm out of all the games. I liked how the main story was simplistic and Disney like in itself. this is also the only KH game where I feel like the Disney and SE elements were a 50/50 effort. In the later games the SE elements take over and the Disney worlds just feel like pit stops, but in this one they are tied more closely to the main plot. This game just has a certain magic that was lost with all the sequels.

-Dream Drop Distance: This game is such a great lead up to KH3. I love most of the new mechanics they introduced. Flowmotion was great and I loved using it to zip around the levels. I loved dropping and being able to experience the two stories concurrently. I never really found it annoying except the one time I dropped during the
Xenmas fight (this one hurt)
. Reality shifting was pretty cool and a suitable replacement for reaction commands. Also SE did a really good job at making the worlds feel alive, more so than any of the other spin offs and on par with the main games. Now my biggest problem with this game are the dream eaters. I absolutely despised them. They never did shit in battle other than getting me killed trying to heal them (who thought this was a good idea?). Also I hated how all your skills were tied to them so you pretty much were forced to care for them. Also the fact that you had spirits means that there weren't any hardware limitations preventing regular partners. So SE intentionally chose to give you these shits instead of having Disney partners. I also hated how most boss fights were against them. The end bosses and the rare Disney ones were easily the best ones in the game.

-Birth By Sleep: This ranks pretty close with DDD. While KH2 has the best combat I think that BBS has the best battle system. I loved the command system of BBS and I think that command styles were superior to linking in DDD. My problems with this one were that playing through the same worlds got stale quick by the 3rd scenario especially since they weren't that interesting in the first place. Also out of all the KH games levels mattered the most here, which was annoying since I had to grind several times simply because I wasn't able to deal enough damage.

-Re:Chain of Memories: I loved the story in this one. It was such a cool lead up to KH2. It was cool being able to play as Riku and the boss fights were also really good. However that's about all the good things I have to say about this game. I hated the gameplay. Playing through shittier, lifeless versions of the KH1 worlds was torture. And even though I can appreciate it's depth the battle system was definitely not for me, and suffers from the same problem that Jupiter's other game TWEWY suffers from in that it's based on multitasking which makes it inherently flawed imo.

I haven't played re:code or 385/2 days. But from what I've been told that's probably a good thing. i did watch both of the movies and they were both shit, but I do give a slight edge to re:coded, just for the secret endings alone, and the fact that it was at least partially relevant to the main story. 385/2 days on the other was completely pointless, it adds absolutely nothing to the main story aside from needlessly complicating it, and nothing of note happens through out 80% of it aside from Roxas and Axel eating Ice cream. Both of these entries are completely skippable with no detriment to the main story.

So there you have, sorry for the wall of text but I've been wanting to write this for a while. What are your thoughts on the series and how would you rate its games?

Betty

Banned
Agree with your issues on DDD, and I cannot recommend 358/2 days at all, nothing happens for 90% of the game and story isn't worth it.

For me KH2 Final Mix is the high point of the series, with KH1, BBS and then DDD following after.

Talax

My favourite will always be BBS though. Masterpiece in every regard especially story imo.

As for 358/2 days' importance to the story
I think it depends on what they do with Xion in KH3. If they bring her back like how they implied at BBS end, then the whole story kinda becomes relevant.
I agree that it does kind of feel irrelevant otherwise.

sn00zer

Agree with your issues on DDD, and I cannot recommend 358/2 days at all, nothing happens for 90% of the game and story isn't worth it.

358/2 is the only game I would say has a legit terrible story....watching it was the worst Disney cartoon Ive ever seen.

Really hoping for DDD HD so I can get completely caught up.

Also for people new to the series:

Play KH1 on Normal
Play KH2 on Critical
Play BbS on Proud

These are all about the same level of difficulty..... its kinda ridiculous

Talax

358/2 is the only game I would say has a legit terrible story....watching it was the worst Disney cartoon Ive ever seen.

Play KH1 on Normal
Play KH2 on Critical
Play BbS on Proud

Or just go crazy like me and play everything on critical. :p

Still need to get CoM platinum

Brave

Banned
It breaks my heart when people say they didn't enjoy 358/2 days. In my opinion it was the best KH in terms of character development and story. Plus, alongside ReChain, it rely showed how dark and twisted the story can get. KH1 and 2 were just "let's defeat the bad guys" type of stories.

Betty

Banned
Or just go crazy like me and play everything on critical. :p

Still need to get CoM platinum

Fair play if you can do it, but man, I wouldn't recommend it, that plat would be pure torture, you have to complete both Riku & Sora's stories 3 times each!

My favourite will always be BBS though. Masterpiece in every regard especially story imo.

As for 358/2 days' importance to the story
I think it depends on what they do with Xion in KH3. If they bring her back like how they implied at BBS end, then the whole story kinda becomes relevant.
I agree that it does kind of feel irrelevant otherwise.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Xion appearing in DDD made me second guess wrighting that, but that still doesn't change the fact that days is largely irrelevent other than that.

Play KH1 on Normal
Play KH2 on Critical
Play BbS on Proud

Really? I played 1 on normal and thought it was extrmemly easy. I played 2 on critical at first but had to restart on proud because it was too hard, and even then I'd say it was extremely difficult at some points. BBS on proud was pretty easy for Terra and Aqua
(Aside from the Terra-Xehanort fights)
but a nightmare for Ventus.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have both PS3 HD remakes and DDD for the 3DS.

What is the correct order to play all this through?

Also LTTP on KH, playing through 1 now. Will buy 2.5 once the time comes, I like it so far.

You should leave this thread then, I feel like this is getting really spoilery really quickly.

Anyway, my option in the series is that BBS and KH2 are the best, KH1 right behind that, CoM is really fun but I wouldn't dare play that game in a harder difficulty, Days and Coded are good but are on the lower end of the scale, and I never played DDD, but the Flowmotion stuff seems to be made just for me, I love that stuff =X

I have both PS3 HD remakes and DDD for the 3DS.

What is the correct order to play all this through?

Order of release. Always.

sn00zer

Really? I played 1 on normal and thought it was extrmemly easy. I played 2 on critical at first but had to restart on proud because it was too hard, and even then I'd say it was extremely difficult at some points. BBS on proud was pretty easy for Terra and Aqua
Aside from the Terra-Xehanort fights
but a nightmare for Ventus.

You get a shit ton of abilities right off the bat in KH2 Critical, so its not as frustrating....I really only had trouble with two bosses....also you are right about that final Terra battle, I think it was the hardest in the entire series

sn00zer

Release order.

1 > RE:COM > 2 > 385/2 days > BBS > Re:Coded > DDD

or you could do it chronologically and move BBS to the front.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

Play 358/2 before 2, they put it in the 1.5 collection for a reason. It gives far better context to 2, and Final Mix 2 actually includes 358/2 scenes.

This is the correct order to play...basically the HD release order

1 > RE:COM > 385/2 days > 2 > BBS > Re:Coded > DDD

Play 358/2 before 2, they put it in the 1.5 collection for a reason. It gives far better context to 2, and Final Mix 2 actually includes 358/2 scenes.

Don't listen to this man. Play it in the order of release, it's way more enjoyable.

Specially since you will be playing all of them close to each other, so you won't forget much.

Also, I'm pretty sure the HD collections shows the release order for the games, so just follow that.

I disagree. They put it in 1.5 because they knew no one would buy 2.5 if it was in there instead of 2 :)

But I definitely wouldn't advise doing days before 2. It spoils a lot of parts of 2, and makes 2 even more convoluted than it already was.

sn00zer

Don't listen to this man. Play it in the order of release, it's way more enjoyable.

Specially since you will be playing all of them close to each other, so you won't forget much.

Also, I'm pretty sure the HD collections shows the release order for the games, so just follow that.
NOOOoooooooo why on earth would anyone play 358/2 after 2?

ubercheez

Agreed with sn00zer. If you're planning to include 358/2 in your KH progression, play (or watch) it before playing 2. It gives some context to 2's intro that made it quite a bit more enjoyable to me.

sn00zer

Agreed with sn00zer. If you're planning to include 358/2 in your KH progression, play (or watch) it before playing 2. It gives some context to 2's intro that made it quite a bit more enjoyable to me.

Yep it gives far more context to KH2 intro (making it actually enjoyable for one) and Axel's motivations

sn00zer

Because that's the way to do it. Also, playing Days pretty much takes any mystery from the Org. away. The benefits are too minimal.

Nope, the Organization motives are just confusing in 2 without 358, they arent mysterious.

Also
what Riku does
between KH1 and 2 is made much clear with 358/2

EDIT: Basically a large portion of KH2 is stupid and confusing without 358/2

Nope, the Organization motives are just confusing in 2 without 358, they arent mysterious.

They are not confusing at all. At the end of the game you have a great idea of what they're doing.

Likewise, spoiling everything that happens at the intro of 2 by playing Days is an awful way to experience one of the best moments in the series.

See? The chronology is crazy!

Just play order of release, like every normal person does. When in doubt, you go for release order anyway, so do that.

Sadist

I started recently with Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix and well... can't say I'm as enthousiastic. I can relate to OP's story though; have a Gamecube as well during the PS2 era and while I didn't miss the PS2 all that much I always wanted to play KH. Mostly because fans of the series always telling how amazing the series is and hey, I like Disney stuff too. But man, talk about a bit of a letdown.

Even with it's HD paint KH FM remains a game which didn't age gracefully. Hell, I'm flabbergasted so many folks back in the PS2 era praised this title like they did. I won't say it's unplayable, but the level design is just outright horrendous. Yes the PS2 had limitations, but the platforming controls and moving Sora around these cramped spaces are just terrible. I've seen floaty platform stuff before, but this takes the cake. Don't get me started on the bossbattles; they're awful.

I'm trying to beat Ursula in the first fight with her two eel buddies, but it's outright hard to control the camera. I understand you need to make the cauldron go haywire, any tips on efficiently doing this?

The fighting system isn't entirely bad and it has it's moments, but damn those camera controls.

Talax

Only people who hate themselves do this.

Well I'm one of the few who actually likes CoM. The only problem I see in the foreseeable future is collecting those bloody enemy cards. I was never able to get all of them on PS2. D:

Definitely don't play Days before 2. One of the things I loved about 2 was finding out who each member was through out the story. Days reveals who all of them are in the beginning so it takes so much intrigued out of 2.

sn00zer

They are not confusing at all. At the end of the game you have a great idea of what they're doing.

Likewise, spoiling everything that happens at the intro of 2 by playing Days is an awful way to experience one of the best moments in the series.

Just play order of release, like every normal person does. When in doubt, you go for release order anyway, so do that

Or play in the order Square retconned in both the HD releases and Final Mix versions to make the story make more sense.

EDIT: KH2 was my least favorite in the series until playing in the HD collection order

I started recently with Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix and well... can't say I'm as enthousiastic. I can relate to OP's story though; have a Gamecube as well during the PS2 era and while I didn't miss the PS2 all that much I always wanted to play KH. Mostly because fans of the series always telling how amazing the series is and hey, I like Disney stuff too. But man, talk about a bit of a letdown.

Even with it's HD paint KH FM remains a game which didn't age gracefully. Hell, I'm flabbergasted so many folks back in the PS2 era praised this title like they did. I won't say it's unplayable, but the level design is just outright horrendous. Yes the PS2 had limitations, but the platforming controls and moving Sora around these cramped spaces are just terrible. I've seen floaty platform stuff before, but this takes the cake. Don't get me started on the bossbattles; they're awful.

I'm trying to beat Ursula in the first fight with her two eel buddies, but it's outright hard to control the camera. I understand you need to make the cauldron go haywire, any tips on efficiently doing this?

The fighting system isn't entirely bad and it has it's moments, but damn those camera controls.

A lot of people complain about the platforming. it's not great but I personally have never had any issues with it. Also the boss battles in the first one aren't great but they do get progressively better in the latter games. Also what made me love the game was mainly the last two worlds, so at least try to beat it before you decide if you want to keep going or not.

Or play in the order Square retconned in both the HD releases and Final Mix versions to make the story make more sense.

Now you're just making shit up.

You play Days before 2 if you can't stand something happening before you can understand it. Because if you want the game as it was actually designed to be, with all the mystery and discovery, then you go 2 before Days.

Playing Days before 2 because the first section of the game doesn't make much sense is really dumb.

Skulldead

it's funny i am in the same situation as you. I finish every game up to Dream Drop distance(i bought the game, but no 3ds at the moment, I WTB one by the way if someone selling it for cheap).

I like every game for different reason, but stop playing the series at Kingdom hearts 2 on Ps2 because i was feeling insulting by the confusing storyline and the cakewalk difficulty on Proud. I've finish every game with the 1.5 and 2.5 and i bought the 2 DS games. Right now i'm pretty exited for KH3 but i'm really not sure how they are going to explain the storyline. Because we only get part of the story, but nothing seem cohesive. I don't know how many time in Birth By sleep i was like: "Why does this happen". Actually it happen in every freaking game !!! It's really frustrating, i have the feeling they've create a big monster, and they never going to be able to respond every plot hole the game have. WE never know we could be really surprise.

botty

Banned
Welcome to the family.

I'd rank Birth By Sleep above Dream Drop Distance because DDD's story is bonkers. Good job putting KH2 above the rest, because it truly is the peak of the series...suck it KH1 fans.

I'd definitely play 358/2 Days because the game is meant to be played differently from the other games in the series, but what you'll end up with is an amazing story that is arguably the most heart felt.

Skip Coded.

quesalupa

I'm glad that you mostly enjoyed them. They really are magical experiences.
Except Coded. Good gawd Coded is useless.

it's funny i am in the same situation as you. I finish every game up to Dream Drop distance(i bought the game, but no 3ds at the moment, I WTB one by the way if someone selling it for cheap).

I like every game for different reason, but stop playing the series at Kingdom hearts 2 on Ps2 because i was feeling insulting by the confusing storyline and the cakewalk difficulty on Proud. I've finish every game with the 1.5 and 2.5 and i bought the 2 DS games. Right now i'm pretty exited for KH3 but i'm really not sure how they are going to explain the storyline. Because we only get part of the story, but nothing seem cohesive. I don't know how many time in Birth By sleep i was like: "Why does this happen". Actually it happen in every freaking game !!! It's really frustrating, i have the feeling they've create a big monster, and they never going to be able to respond every plot hole the game have. WE never know we could be really surprise.

Yeah the story is really confusing. I tried to defend the story but after playing through DDD I can no longer do that. Nomura just gives no fucks anymore. I at least give him credit for trying to explain everything, even if it does just make shit more complicated. As with 2 I expect 3 won't make a lick of sense either but it'll still be a fun ride.

chozen

My favorite series right next to Zelda. People have mixed feelings on Tetsuya but he is my favorite director of all time. I don't know but it's as if all of his works and Kingdom Hearts always just clicked with me in every way. The style, the gameplay, and story. Fueled by Yoko's music it was just too perfect for me. Till this day the in game graphics never age and I can always go back to it with out a problem.

On a side note Leonard Nimoy voice of Master Xehanort has passed away and I'm deeply upset by this as he is the main antagonist and Xehanort has a lot of stuff to reveal to us in kingdom hearts 3. R.I.P

I was a big fan of the series back in the day but I kind of grew apart from it because I wasn't interested in the DS titles, and it's been a while since Birth By Sleep.

But I still decided to get KH2.5 because I always wanted to play the Final Mix version and see why everyone said it was amazing, I didn't enjoy KH2 back in the PS2 days so I could not see how it could change my mind..... I WAS SOOOO WRONG, KH2FM is amazing, and playing it in Critical Mode made it such a rewarding experience that I could not stop until I got the Platinum.

If KH3 doesn't have a similar mode like Critical Mode from KH2, I'm going to be so disappointed.

Sadist

A lot of people complain about the platforming. it's not great but I personally have never had any issues with it. Also the boss battles in the first one aren't great but they do get progressively better in the latter games. Also what made me love the game was mainly the last two worlds, so at least try to beat it before you decide if you want to keep going or not.
Oh I'm going to complete the game, but I'm just somewhat disappointed this game isn't living up to my own (and I guess how others praise this game) expectations. I expected something... easier to control because ReMix is the best version of the game.

Join the community!

Welcome to the family.

I'd rank Birth By Sleep above Dream Drop Distance because DDD's story is bonkers. Good job putting KH2 above the rest, because it truly is the peak of the series...suck it KH1 fans.

I'd definitely play 358/2 Days because the game is meant to be played differently from the other games in the series, but what you'll end up with is an amazing story that is arguably the most heart felt.

Skip Coded.

Awww thank you my brothers. Do we have a community thread?

sn00zer

Now you're just making shit up.

You play Days before 2 if you can't stand something happening before you can understand it. Because if you want the game as it was actually designed to be, with all the mystery and discovery, then you go 2 before Days.

Playing Days before 2 because the first section of the game doesn't make much sense is really dumb.

No.... anything involving Roxas doesnt make sense...every interaction with an Org member involves their relationship with Roxas..... Axel's emotions toward Sora dont make sense, but with 358 some scenes that were confusing hit now like a brick...the entire opening being a repeat of Days and the conclusion of Days leading into KH2. Then the fact that most of
Riku's
plot in 2 also makes no sense without 358, and that Final Mix has scenes from 358.

My favorite series right next to Zelda. People have mixed feelings on Tetsuya but he is my favorite director of all time. I don't know but it's as if all of his works and Kingdom Hearts always just clicked with me in every way. The style, the gameplay, and story. Fueled by Yoko's music it was just too perfect for me. Till this day the in game graphics never age and I can always go back to it with out a problem.

On a side note Leonard Nimoy voice of Master Xehanort has passed away and I'm deeply upset by this as he is the main antagonist and Xehanort has a lot of stuff to reveal to us in kingdom hearts 3. R.I.P

yeah it's wierd. Last night when I beat DDD I was looking at the credits and noticed that he voiced Xehanort, then today i wake up and hear that he's passed away.

No.... anything involving Roxas doesnt make sense...every interaction with an Org member involves their relationship with Roxas..... Axel's emotions toward Sora dont make sense, but with 358 some scenes that were confusing hit now like a brick...the entire opening being a repeat of Days and the conclusion of Days leading into KH2. Then the fact that most of
Riku's
plot in 2 also makes no sense without 358, and that Final Mix has scenes from 358.

Riku's plot makes perfect sense if you've played COM before 2. I don't see how Days enhances it when he's barely even in it. Also Axel's feelings towards Sora are perfectly clear in KH2 and that's without needed to watch 2 and half hours of them eating ice cream together.

Riku's

Riku's
plot needs CoM, not Days.

And again, you just proved my point. You only play Days before 2 if you can't bear having doubts and need to understand everything as it is happening.

Xemnas89

I just finished 3D myself. I had it since launch but I just wasn't feeling it back then. I had the same problem with the dream eaters but outside of them I really liked this game. Alot of people don't seem to like the direction the story took at the end but I loved how ridiculous it was. Can't wait for KH3!!

JTripper

1 is my all-time favorite. It has all the nostalgia and charm I remember loving about the series (and still do). It's honestly the "heart" of the franchise. I've played through it so many times and I never get tired of it.

2 has arguably the best combat in the series but I tend to prefer the fast speed of DDD's combat and the freeflow mechanic making movement and combat quicker. Out of all the games, 2 it probably the most polished one.

Chain is a pleasant surprise for a tie-in. Story-wise it's pretty important in establishing the foundation for 2 and it took a unique direction in gameplay that I appreciated once I got used to it.

358 was cool because it was all about Roxas, who deserved more story than what he got in 2. The game was super repetitious though and I took no interest in doing any extra missions once I finished it. However it has probably the most memorable finale in a KH game.

Re:Coded is fucking pointless but I took it for what it was and just enjoyed some extra KH to play when it released. Glad they just included cutscenes in 2.5 even though 90% of it is boring as fuck and there are really only 2 or 3 meaningful scenes.

BBS is actually my second favorite right behind 1 because it has the most interesting story and just does a lot as a portable game. For me, it's more than just a tie-in and rivals the numbered titles.

3D is awesome gameplay-wise as I said before, and it's story is kind of interesting at first but then just dumps a whole lot of confusing bullshit to make the story that much more complicated.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Glad your enjoying the franchise. While its not perfect, and does have plenty of issues, most of these games are still good games, and are really fun experiences to play through.

Riku's
plot needs CoM, not Days.

And again, you just proved my point. You only play Days before 2 if you can't bear having doubts and need to understand everything as it is happening.

yep. What I lvoed about 2's story was that it intentionally left you confused in the beginning but over time things start to make sense. it gives you the pieces to the puzzle but doesn't tell you how to put them together right away. Playing Days before 2 essentially gives you the completed picture but you miss out on the fun of having had put it together.

I just finished 3D myself. I had it since launch but I just wasn't feeling it back then. I had the same problem with the dream eaters but outside of them I really liked this game. Alot of people don't seem to like the direction the story took at the end but I loved how ridiculous it was. Can't wait for KH3!!

yep, in the final world when
Young Xehanort
is explaing things to Riku, that was the moment when I had to accept that the story made no damn sense. but I still fucking loved how ridiculous it got and the ending made me so hyped for 3.

Top Bottom