• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Next (major) PS4 Firmware Update is “Not Too Far Out"

I feel like having "major" in the thread title is going to backfire once this thing is out. Fred said "the next update is not too far out" and that's it. The people asking the question were the ones thinking about a "major" update, who knows what Fred had in mind when he answered.

hawk2025

I feel like having "major" in the thread title is going to backfire once this thing is out. Fred said "the next update is not too far out" and that's it. The people asking the question were the ones thinking about a "major" update, who knows what Fred had in mind when he answered.

GAF thread title: "It has been 100 days since Sony promised a Major Firmware update Not Too Far out"

:p

I'd settle for actual useful notifications like letting me know when I friend is online snd remove the odd one that tells me when they have joined a party
notsureifserious.gif

Simply being online isn't really noteworthy. Maybe they just jumped on to grab their Plus games before work. If they create a Party, that indicates they're looking to socialize, which is worthy of a general notification.

also dlna
Vue is set to launch this quarter. If I understand Rigby's posts — and it's possible that I don't — Vue will rely on DLNA to function.

joecanada

Is there a way to shut notification off of groups or how do you leave a group? I'm in groups with 30 fn ppl and the PS4 notifies me every single time they leave, come in. I still want notifications I just want outta these groups I don't even remember how I got in

Is there a way to shut notification off of groups or how do you leave a group? I'm in groups with 30 fn ppl and the PS4 notifies me every single time they leave, come in. I still want notifications I just want outta these groups I don't even remember how I got in
If you're talking about those group chats, just delete the thread.

And maybe the person who keeps inviting you to them. ;)

kitch9

Banned
Whats so funny and what gap other than whats already known ?

DX12 to may people looks like doing what mantle did but more, more a PC thing it appears to most....(Except Mr X and Mr CTeam)

All I know is what I read : MS PR with Eurogamer said they let loose a 7 th Xb1 CPU core and Sony have not said anything (read Ps4 used 6 cores for Killzone game over a year ago, so who knows)

However, MS PR about making more power for games, DX12 coming along is positive spin, and we get nothing from Sony.

OK, I'll bite.

How fucking desperate does a company have be to hype API updates?

Not that it's usually a place for announcements, but I think it's too much of a coincidence that this rumor starts right before GDC. I have a feeling they may unveil the new firmware there.

Custom soundtracks? Couldn't you do that now with the usb stick playback?.

Might want them to incorporate more like Wipeout on PS3, that's more of a developer thing though. Would like to put music on the HDD but the Piracy thing on PS3 probably screwed that pooch good.

Any possibility this drops on the 28th when PlayStation Music is supposed to launch? I imagine they'll be a system update to add the feature in so they could possibly update more things at the same time.

I remember this, and we still haven't heard anything official. Hopefully they announce PSOne classics at GDC at the very least. Also let us choose to render them in HD, some PS1 games are hard for me to play with the combination of the jitteryness and the low res. I can deal with the jitter if the resolution is higher.
PSP emulation would also be amazing... Sony plz.

OS team consists of one dude named Hito Nakamura who is the janitor for Sony. He told someone he wants to learn to program, so they made him the sole member of the OS team in a "learn as you go" method.

Any possibility this drops on the 28th when PlayStation Music is supposed to launch? I imagine they'll be a system update to add the feature in so they could possibly update more things at the same time.

isn't the Music Unlimited service scheduled to go down on the 29th of March? I would think Sony would want Spotify/PSmusic to be up and running before that time.

EDIT: it looks like the 28th and 29th fall on a weekend in March, don't expect a FW update then

UberTag

OS team consists of one dude named Hito Nakamura who is the janitor for Sony. He told someone he wants to learn to program, so they made him the sole member of the OS team in a "learn as you go" method.
Doesn't Hito also handle all of the marketing for the Vita & Playstation TV?
Dude needs to look into taking a vacation. Workaholism isn't health.
Hopefully he can resume his post heading development of The Last Guardian when he has some free time.

28th of this month?
Yeah 28th of this month is when they said it was launching.

isn't the Music Unlimited service scheduled to go down on the 29th of March? I would think Sony would want Spotify/PSmusic to be up and running before that time.
They said PlayStation Music was launching on February 28th and will immediately replace Music Unlimited for the PlayStation. Current MU subscribers have until the 29th of March to get a free 30 day trial.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/28/playstation-meet-spotify/

Derpyduck

Banned
notsureifserious.gif

Simply being online isn't really noteworthy. Maybe they just jumped on to grab their Plus games before work. If they create a Party, that indicates they're looking to socialize, which is worthy of a general notification.

Vue is set to launch this quarter. If I understand Rigby's posts — and it's possible that I don't — Vue will rely on DLNA to function.

And I can't tell if you're serious. I couldn't give a rat's ass if someone creates a party or joins someone else's party. If they want to socialize with me, they'd invite me to their party. Online friend notifications are far more important and were a staple last gen. MS did the smart thing and added them back. Sony needs to hurry up and do the same.

gus-gus

Banned
Any one know if sony Is able to external hard drive support? Is it something they can't do? It's not a huge deal but would like to have access to all my games without thinking ill have to redownload games.

Any one know if sony Is able to external hard drive support? Is it something they can't do? It's not a huge deal but would like to have access to all my games without thinking ill have to redownload games.

It's coming Soony

(They've said it will be supported but not when)

naitosan

Man, PSOne and PS2 classics lineup support would be great... just please don't have us re buy those that we already have on PS3.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hurry up and support blutooth remotes already. they gotta include support for a remote if they want to be serious about vue right? if not support for a separate universal/branded remote, at least some kind of support in the ps app. hate wasting my ds4 battery when watching videos.

And I can't tell if you're serious. I couldn't give a rat's ass if someone creates a party or joins someone else's party. If they want to socialize with me, they'd invite me to their party. Online friend notifications are far more important and were a staple last gen. MS did the smart thing and added them back. Sony needs to hurry up and do the same.

kind of feel like the party notifications were added as a place holder while they figure out how they want to tackle friend notifications. i don't recall it getting much fanfare when it was added.

Card Boy

Banned
Man, PSOne and PS2 classics lineup support would be great... just please don't have us re buy those that we already have on PS3.

They didn't make Vita owners rebuy PS1 games so i doubt PS4 owners would ever have to if PS1/PS2 support came along.

kingwingin

External hdd support
Folders
Let me pin down apps and games at the front
Friends coming online notification

That's all I need

v1ncelis

Folders
Let me use my captured pictures as desktop backrounds
App to track all my gaming statistics (PC has it, Wii U has it, Xbox has it)
Uncompressed share button images
That's all I need Sony. I don't think any of those are really hard to achieve.

I don't know if this would need a firmware update, but if it does I would hope Sony would update all three systems to allow SharePlay. This way, someone that has a PS3 can essentially try PS4 before buying. I mean, SharePlay uses the same tech as PSNow, so PS3/Vita are technically capable of doing it already.

Top Bottom