• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game soundtracks you're pretty sure no one has ever heard

Nekemancer

Neo Member
I had a tremendously hard time getting the King's Field 3 soundtrack for years and years. It's available on youtube now of course, but it took a while to get there.

Here's a playlist for it.

The first song on that list plays, if I recall, only during the start menu if you let it cycle through the various demo screens. It's so different tonally from the rest of the ost, but still a terrific song. The game and soundtrack are incredible, I highly recommend that Souls fans take a few minutes to give it a look and listen!

CNCOMICS

The lyrical versions of Guilty Gear XX.
Guilty_Gear_XX_in_NY_Vocal.jpg
Guilty_Gear_XX_in_LA_Vocal.jpg

YouTube playlist of both: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1A56CA459D8C44DB

For those looking for the most obscure Falcom music, how about Selected Sorcerian? These five soundtracks belong to scenario packs developed by the game's fans participating in a competition held by Comptiq (Japanese PC mag from that era) and Falcom. Hiroshi Nishizawa and Daisuke Takahashi, the lead musicians here, each had productive stints in game music for a while after. All this barely qualifies as official, but the Falcom sounds is present nonetheless.

You can find the untranslated, unofficial tracklist here. Use machine translation for names (mostly it's useful for determining who composed what).

cj_iwakura

Taillight ft. Emi Evans

This is from Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4. Looks like it's a Japanese-only arcade-only racer based off an old long-running manga. The game is very reminiscent of Ridge Racer.

Linking because it's Emi Evans. <3

You could say that about Maximum Tune,period. :( It's not completely Japanese only, 1-3 have been localized.

The OSTs are very popular, though. As they should be. Yuzo Koshiro.

novenD

The Last Express is only semi-obscure, on GAF at least...

But I've never seen anyone mention how incredible the soundtrack is.
It's one of the only games I've played that has a "filmic" soundtrack that doesn't sound like B-grade Hans Zimmer.

Lelcar

Brave Fencer Musashi has one of my all time favorite soundtracks. It's not a super obscure game, but the people who have played it are definitely in the vast minority versus the people who haven't played it.

Rydeen

A game that seems to have disappeared entirely is Android Assault aka Bari-Arm on the Sega CD. It contains what may be my all-time favorite redbook audio soundtrack of all time. Perfect fusion jazz / electronic / rock sound that I love out of late 80's and early 90's Japanese video games.

https://youtu.be/H526CQqWHSg

Top Bottom