• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

producer_pic2.png

So, he's back.

For iOS and Android.

logo2.png

CAVE's latest game, "Gothic wa MahouOtome ~ Sassatto Keiyaku Shinasai!"
or in English, "Gothic is Magical Maidens ~ Hurry up and Sign the Contract!". Apparently directed entirely by Tsuneki Ikeda.

http://www.cave.co.jp/sp/mahouotome/

No real details about the game except that it is set in a remote frontier of the land of Gilverado, which is of course the setting for Deathsmiles. Whatever type of game this is, it is apparently about a young man who is asked by 5 angels (Deathsmiles girls?) to help them with...something. And then they go on an adventure.

Shooting game? Romance game?

Your guess is as good as mine. Anyway I pre-registered so whenever this comes out I'll have a go at it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was directing Donpachin, their social shooter game that came out last year. However there was never much press released about it, so the staff involved is vague. There's also no staff roll so it's hard to tell. I also kind of wonder about their "Siege Perilous" years where they were making PS2 snowboarding games etc. He might actually show up as Director or Producer on some of those.

In terms of documented staff roll entries though, I believe you're correct that he's never entirely directed a non-arcade game. Specific console "modes" like Galuda II Black Label and DFK Arrange A were directed/coded by him though.

Anyways, we know this new game has waifus and IKD. If it has bullets too that'll be enough for me to spend some time with it. It's possible that Donpachin was their warm-up for this game? I personally would love to see a larger game in the vein of DDP Maximum which is still the only iOS shooter I think is really worth the time of day.

2-ALL'd Dodonpachi Daioujou White Label.

This fucking credit. There was one terrible death on 2-3 that would normally end just about anybody's run, but by some small miracle, I managed to save it by NMNB'ing the boss. I only had one bomb going in to 2-4, so I was worried about the railguns (I normally use two bombs there for safety), but I managed to get through it with a bit of luck. And finally in 2-5, there was one more bad death at the end of the beehive, but that's a death I always plan for because that's the hardest part of the stage (I can do it most of the time on MAME, but I guess nerves get the best of me on a real run. It's hard to be Evel Knievel 40 minutes into a game...). Everything after that went pretty much perfectly. My hands were shaking so bad during the Hibachi fight that I was almost certain I would die to something ridiculous. :lol:

PS. I am now convinced that IKD is a sadist who loves to watch people suffer. I've never seen such a punishing game in my life. edit: Well, SDOJ Inbachi runs and Futari 1.01 Ultra are probably even more cruel now that I think about it.

Uploaded the replay of my DOJ 2-ALL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw17fP7RcMk

Congrats iconoclast! Is there anything you haven't cleared in terms of arcade Cave stuff?

Tons of stuff! Mushi Ultra, Futari Ultra, Deathsmiles MBL w/ EX, every Mushi 1.5 Max mode, Ibara, Mushi Maniac (I played this for like a day because I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on with the scoring lol), Pink Sweets, every second loop besides DOJ WL & BL, etc. That's why I'm not really bothered about Cave being dead. I'd love Mushi 3, Espgaluda 3, Deathsmiles 3, or any new game as much as anyone, but they've already made enough stuff to last a life time. Especially since every one of their games can easily be played for hundreds (if not a 1000+) of hours depending on how far you want push them.

shaowebb

I missed this thread popping up. So far I've been shmupping away at a bunch of Non Cave stuff for awhile now. Just a flood that hit steam this past year mostly.

I think I programmed myself after that year of Akai Katana though to do something stupid. I was pushing myself when I woke up or was up late that year with college screwing up my sleep schedule to do all my score grinding then so I could spend what little time I had awake during my wife's hours with her. Due to this now anytime I begin to feel exhausted is when I instinctively want to shmup. My scoring and reflexes are at an all time low lol.

I really miss playing Akai Katana. Its got some really addictive scoring rhythms. To date the shmups I hit the most from Cave are Akai Katana, Deathsmiles 2x, and Pink Sweets.

Looks that page has been updated with comments from some of the staff making the game. One is ex-CAVE shop (used to be on their live broadasts), and another is Daisuke Matsumoto who did a lot of their sound effects and some songs. They said they'll have comments from the developers in the next update which should be interesting as it'll give us insight into what is left of CAVE's arcade dev line (although this is, to be clear, a mobile game).

Edit: Late, but congrats to Iconoclast on the epic white label clear. That was one of the first CAVE games I tried to learn and I hated it for weeks. Then I found Black Label and never went back, however White Label is still definitely the K2 of shooting games (with Mushi Ultra being the Mt. Everest).

There are some screenshots for that mahotome game on the site now, looks like there's only 1DOF. Seems like a trend in Japanese smartphone shmups recently and I have no idea why

BOTEC

Eww. But doesn't that make more sense for a mobile game? The direct control in their arcade ports essentially broke those games on cellphones. With limited movement they can tailor the challenge for a better experience for the player. Or artificially hobble it to sell some IAP shit.

Tain

lol, damn dude.

I'm kind of ashamed to say I've never cleared Espgaluda. I've been to the last boss, but never actually finished him off and something else grabbed my attention soon after. Don't think I've been that close, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Eww. But doesn't that make more sense for a mobile game? The direct control in their arcade ports essentially broke those games on cellphones. With limited movement they can tailor the challenge for a better experience for the player. Or artificially hobble it to sell some IAP shit.

I take it you never played Donpaccin?

BOTEC

I take it you never played Donpaccin?

Hell no!

There was a game like that on Android that I really liked. I can't remember the name of it now, it was a long time ago when the first Android handsets were rolled out in Japan. I remember the first game was a lot of fun, despite the Galaga controls. The limited movement actually actually added tension to the proceedings. Than the sequel was some free-to-play bullshit and I tried once, uninstalled, and never looked back. I would be sad if Cave fell for the same amateur pitfalls.

I really like Espgaluda but man I wish I could even get that far, haha. I limped my way to the final boss's first phase once and died fairly quickly. Even though it's cool to be able to say "I made it to the last boss of a Cave game", I know I actually still have a really long way to go before I can beat it.

buffi

Banned
The difficulty curve of espgaluda is kindof weird, in that the game is actually somewhat easy except for the last boss which is really hard :(

Yes Boss!

Well, that seems like semi-good news for the Cave game. Hopefully not too bogged down by all the daily loading/updating that made Don Paccin suck.

Speaking of...been traveling around the world the last few weeks and always my go-to game is Donpachi Maximum. Been playing it for years and I never get tired of it. Truly one of Cave's best.

Coda

I really like Espgaluda but man I wish I could even get that far, haha. I limped my way to the final boss's first phase once and died fairly quickly. Even though it's cool to be able to say "I made it to the last boss of a Cave game", I know I actually still have a really long way to go before I can beat it.

Same, it's one of my favorite shmups ever because it actually gives you a fighting chance. I still think it's a pretty difficult game to 1cc though.

Well, that seems like semi-good news for the Cave game. Hopefully not too bogged down by all the daily loading/updating that made Don Paccin suck.

Speaking of...been traveling around the world the last few weeks and always my go-to game is Donpachi Maximum. Been playing it for years and I never get tired of it. Truly one of Cave's best.
I need to put effort into Max one of these days, got stuck on Hachi about a year or two ago and every time I feel like trying again I find my skills have deteriorated.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

I have it on iPad, superb, but I'm super pissed that they've never updated it to run on WP8 (and now WP10 is coming), I mean it started as a WP exclusive ffs and and it's one of the couple of great games on the whole (horrible) store... :(

shaowebb

Been playing Pink Sweets again. I love this game...it gets a bad rep due to its scoring but I love the rhythm of fire and then stop firing to charge up Rose Crackers. Rhythm is everything to me in shmups and a good dance between tools gets me excited.

I can see this game being one that has a high entry barrier. You got to research it to get anywhere. You need to know how many of each enemy type to kill to get a powerup and that letting 4 powerups fall off the bottom of the screen gets you the coveted special power up that maxes your damage output beyond the norm. There's also a way to get homing shot by letting I think 4 rose hip power ups fall off the screen. Finally, the only way to 1CC the game is to use the deliberate infinite lives exploit called "multiply mode' which is triggered by getting a 1up when you got 5 stocks of ship and you can only get 1 ups by filling an invisible counter above 2500+ and the counter goes up for every enemy/shot destroyed and down for everything destroyed with Rose Crackers. (you can also trigger one ups in certain stages to appear, but I think theres only like ...2)

So much of this game is not explained or easy to just catch by simply playing it. However, the music is great, its colorful and it has terrific ships and fun bosses. The rhythm of shoot, pause and fill the rose cracker to either shoot or use as a shield to cancel type 1 bullets is terrific. Its a give and take game that has elements of Summer carnival 92 recca and Ibara in it.

I encourage folks here to play it. Its great. Its challenging and its got a good rhythm. Its not very forgiving and it has odd power up secrets, but its worth it. Just remember to play the ver 1.01 mode so you can derank by letting medals drop to keep enemies easier and so you can use multiply mode or arrange mode which has extends and a lot of good stuff done to score.

SOME-MIST

pink sweets arrange > *

it's probably my favorite mode in the whole mmp/ps bundle tbh, and easily my favorite arrange mode in any CAVE game.

SerTapTap

You got to research it to get anywhere. You need to know how many of each enemy type to kill to get a powerup and that letting 4 powerups fall off the bottom of the screen gets you the coveted special power up that maxes your damage output beyond the norm.

Yeah this is my main problem with it, plus the train level and such. Is there a good place to look up how to play these games? I have a ton of JP shmups for 360 but never really looked too far into how to play them "right" yet. I'm probably missing even some basic stuff since even some UI text is Japanese.

My fav so far has been Deathsmiles probably simply because it's very accessible. I also have DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu, Deathsmiles 2 and Pink Sweets/MushiMushi Pork as far as Cave goes. I dig the stop-firing thing in Pink Sweets but the later stuff gets so nuts I haven't dug far into it.

SOME-MIST

Yeah this is my main problem with it, plus the train level and such. Is there a good place to look up how to play these games? I have a ton of JP shmups for 360 but never really looked too far into how to play them "right" yet. I'm probably missing even some basic stuff since even some UI text is Japanese.

My fav so far has been Deathsmiles probably simply because it's very accessible. I also have DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu, Deathsmiles 2 and Pink Sweets/MushiMushi Pork as far as Cave goes. I dig the stop-firing thing in Pink Sweets but the later stuff gets so nuts I haven't dug far into it.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1896

shaowebb

Beaten. But yeah, anything you need to know on any shmup you can generally ask on Shmups system 11. A lot of top players go there, share tactics, vids, stream, and will teach you the mechanics. A lot of game breakdowns are written and linked to there too.

I followed the Ibara/Pink Sweets link to figure out Pink Sweets and arrange mode is a dream alongside of ver 1.01. I love the game and play Shasta a lot. Getting the rhythm per level and character of how to shoot and pace yourself to leave openings to stop and charge the Rose Cracker hooked me. Rhythm is everything in shmup to me and games like Akai Katana, Deathsmiles 2X and Pink Sweets/Muchi Pork really grab me for this.

I also have a strong weakness for Castle Shikigami 2, but largely its the addiction to the cast and the engrish that started me on learning that game and getting good at it.

mdsfx

I have 2 copies of MMP for sale. Both sealed. I had intended to flip these to help afford the one I bought for myself, but I don't have the patience to wait for them to sell at a higher price. Looking to get what I paid plus shipping which would be about $78 shipped.

eMmdx7U.jpg

Ninja Dom

Iconoclast is my inspiration.

I've just learned this from another thread. You can take Direct Feed video from an iOS 8 device using just a Mac running OSX Yosemite and a lightning cable. Connect the iOS 8 device to the Mac, run QuickTime, select Start New Recording and change the source from the FaceTime camera on the Mac to the iOS 8 device.

You know what this means? Means I can attempt to make my own Cave iOS playthrough's. And upload them to YouTube. Gonna start with ESPGaluda II.

Aizo

Banned
I bought Muchimuchi Pork and Pink Sweets the other day, and... I don't like them. Is something wrong with me? I mean, MMP is all right, but I really don't like Pink Sweets. The levels are soooo long and boring. I literally fell asleep on the last boss last night and got a game over. I'm dreading going back through it.

I bought Muchimuchi Pork and Pink Sweets the other day, and... I don't like them. Is something wrong with me? I mean, MMP is all right, but I really don't like Pink Sweets. The levels are soooo long and boring. I literally fell asleep on the last boss last night and got a game over. I'm dreading going back through it.

Pink Sweets Arrange.

And Muchi Muchi Pork Arcade.

Best games.

I seriously can't imagine falling asleep during Pink Sweets unless you consider credit feeding acceptable, because Pink Sweets is hard as balls.

braves01

Banned

Never mind.

Top Bottom