• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60fps videos of games don't look like 60fps games

nynt9

This is a weird problem I've been having since 60fps footage of games has started to become more and more available. I've been a primarily PC gamer all my life, and I'm no stranger to 60fps (or higher) games. But 60fps videos of games look weird. They look jerky and sped up. Which doesn't look like what I see in 60fps games. I've even put a video on my second monitor and the game on my first to compare and it definitely looks weirder to me. The game itself looks a lot smoother.

What could be the cause of this phenomenon? It occurs both in streamed and downloaded videos and on multiple devices.

The refresh rate of Internet videos still will be slightly, but noticeably, less than that of actual games being rendered on your computer or console.

Noobcraft

I've noticed that when watching vs playing Forza 5. Watching at 60 fps looks artificial, but playing at 60 fps feels normal.

Ramenman

Unless they are from Gamersyde.

No ? :p

I've always thought Gamersyde's homemade captures come incredibly close to having the game run before your eyes. Actually I've had a couple of instances at work where people asked "what are you playing ?" before realising I wasn't doing anything with my hands and just watching a vid.

SerTapTap

A) you're not used to seeing 60fps in videos. When people say they don't see the problem with 30 or can't stand 60 it's usually because they're used to 30--it does happen
B) As mentioned, 60 FPS for web video is a fairly tall order and isn't quite perfect in my experience. I mean, Chrome even chokes on GIFs now.
c) It's possible the videos weren't captured right FPS-wise but this hopefully wouldn't be too widespread

PirateKing

The Dark Souls 2 video played just like PC did but some other game's videos looled weird. Tekken 7 vids werid a bit weird on Youtube.

60 fps video and actual gameplay do look different to me, but I'm not sure how to describe the difference. The videos look kinda smoother to me, but feel less natural? I don't know...

I've noticed this too. I think it's because I'm so used to 30fps video that seeing it run at 60fps makes it feel like it's moving too fast. Obviously don't have that problem with actual games

Yeah, 60fps youtube videos often look like shit for me on my i7 4770K with a GTX 670. Oddly enough they seem a lot smoother on my i7 4710HQ laptop with a GTX 860M (presumably while using the intel graphics).

Seanspeed

Banned
This is a weird problem I've been having since 60fps footage of games has started to become more and more available. I've been a primarily PC gamer all my life, and I'm no stranger to 60fps (or higher) games. But 60fps videos of games look weird. They look jerky and sped up. Which doesn't look like what I see in 60fps games. I've even put a video on my second monitor and the game on my first to compare and it definitely looks weirder to me. The game itself looks a lot smoother.

What could be the cause of this phenomenon? It occurs both in streamed and downloaded videos and on multiple devices.
Its because most video you see of games is at 30fps. That's where your frame of reference is.

You guys are crazy, they look amazing and are the best thing Youtube did in the last long while

I know it's better, and I wouldn't want them to remove 60fps videos, but that doesn't mean it doesn't look weird when all you've seen on the internet for decades is 30fps

Spazznid

When you are controlling it, it seems less awkward, also, there's always going to be some sort of jitter in gameplay that won't be there in playback.

Bl@de

I have a GTX 970 and 4th gen i7.

I don't think the problem is watching the video. But when I record 60fps gameplay in 1080p and RGB then it can cause stuttering and slight performance dips because it's pretty hard on the hardware. Especially when you record lossless video (which is not possible for me as I only have 1 SSD).

But when I record games that have no hickups or drops it's perfect 60fps. The reason you may think it's different: You don't control the game. It's just like watching 30fps footage on a TV. It's not that bad because you don't control it with a mouse. That's when I notice the stuttering even worse. Kind of hard to explain. At least that's how I feel.

I have a GTX 970 and 4th gen i7.

Having the best CPU or GPU doesn't matter if the problem resides in the browser/player.
On my PC, Google Chrome occasionally stutters while playing 60fps YouTube videos, while they play smoothly if I download them and play them with VLC.

nynt9

I don't think the problem is watching the video. But when I record 60fps gameplay in 1080p and RGB then it can cause stuttering and slight performance dips because it's pretty hard on the hardware. Especially when you record lossless video (which is not possible for me as I only have 1 SSD).

But when I record games that have no hickups or drops it's perfect 60fps. The reason you may think it's different: You don't control the game. It's just like watching 30fps footage on a TV. It's not that bad because you don't control it with a mouse. That's when I notice the stuttering even worse. Kind of hard to explain. At least that's how I feel.

I was also thinking that the feeling of control might have something to do with it.

Peltz

I'm just thinking out loud:

Is it possible that your monitor is adding additional frames/motion smoothing?

Or maybe you're not playing games at a locked 60fps?

Manu

Yup, I noticed this while watching some 60 fps footage at Gamersyde.

It feels sped up, not like actually playing a 60 fps game.

jediyoshi

60 fps video and actual gameplay do look different to me, but I'm not sure how to describe the difference. The videos look kinda smoother to me, but feel less natural? I don't know...

Depends on where you're watching them from and what the source material is and how it was recorded. It's just as likely the person who processed the video used some kind of frame interpolation on the footage to keep the framerate constant.

ToD_

I can't comment about it feeling sped up, that must be something psychological. The jerkiness can be attributed to several things, however.

• The game was played at a different framerate (say 75fps) and still recorded and uploaded to youtube at 60fps, causing inconsistent frame intervals
  • Your screen's refresh rate is not set at 60hz
  • Certain web browsers play 60fps videos better than others. Even if no frame drops are indiciated, I always notice a lot of stuttering when playing 60fps Youtube clips on Chrome (with more than capable hardware)
  • When using MPC HC to play these videos. Try using the madvr renderer, press ctrl-j and see if any frames are being dropped or repeated. Your harwdware seems fine, so try something like Reclock to match the speed of the video exactly with your display's refresh rate

Some videos are incidentally post-processed when uploaded or saved (frameblending). That could account for a visual difference you may see.

Newboi

I can undestand the OP. I can watch two people play a 60 fps game in front of me, but If I watch a 60 fps video of a match on youtube, it does seem slightly, or even significantly, off at times.

I honestly agree that this has more to do with the quality of the capture and stream then it does with the video being 60fps in and of itself.

Super high quality direct game captures from Gamersyde look almost exactly like the game would on my TV and I don't perceive an issue with it.

I personally think it all comes down to the fact that at higher framerates, we can better perceive the imperfections in what we're watching. It's not that the video looks "off", it's that it is "off".

On a complete side note, I think this issue actually extends to film as well. I don't believe that higher frame rates make film and motion look weird by themselves. It's that the techniques that have been derived over the years only look convincing at 24fps. Maybe it's more of a case that higher framerate films require a completely new understanding of cinematography to create styles and film techniques that work for that format.

stuminus3

Banned
I find 60fps videos are like watching TV with that motion interpolation crap turned on. Maybe something to do with how the videos are compressed, frames don't blend together the same.

McLovin

Could just be the browser. Chrome is terrible with gifs and videos. I can't even do 1080p YouTube videos without it stuttering or freezing up.

I think is because the conversion to video format in 60 frames adds some type of motiom blur effect between frames that make looks that way, I read an article a while ago about it.

Mr. X

Isnt it due to extra junk they put on videos like processing that arent there when the game is running normally.

shockdude

Yeah it probably has to do with compression and poor bitrate/encoding making individual frames look blurry and unnatural, instead of looking crisp like a direct-feed video game.

If you are trying to watch anything via flash video expect dropped frames up the wazoo, it's shit.

Some videos might be encoded to 59.94 or whatever format the video software used, that means a frame is being dropped or skipped every now and again and might look a little off.

jakomocha

That's exactly how I feel too. Videos at 60fps look smoother to me than actual gameplay, but have this odd "sped-up" feel that makes it seem far less natural (for me).

Nzyme32

Videos of games at 60fps are:

• Not consistently at 60fps due to dropped frames
  • heavily artifacted by low bitrate adding blur / smudging / blocky weirdness that is not typical of a game

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I definitely thought the recent trailer for Street Fighter V looked like a smoother 60fps than the gameplay of SFIV which was 60fps.

REDSLATE

My technical knowledge on the subject is a bit limited, but conceptually, a 60 frame/second recording of a 60 frame/second game doesn't necessarily equate to the frames lining up. Imagine making a recording of a recording. It's not going to be a perfect transfer. Couple this with the fact that users and sites likely downsample certain video aspects to save bandwidth and storage.

Its because most video you see of games is at 30fps. That's where your frame of reference is.

You do realize this makes no sense, right? 60 fps video game video will look the same as 60 fps video game. The only difference is that one is not interactive, which is where the issue lies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My theory is that your brain is expecting 30 and seeing 60, causing it to flip out for a moment. It's happened to me as well, and I've been playing at 60+ for years.

Top Bottom