• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

bjaelke

And one more to go with it: RPS: Hands On: Cities – Skylines

If I have a criticism, it’s that Skylines feels very much like the game I wanted SimCity to be. It has the scale, and smart systems with legible cause and effect. What it’s lacking, in the early stages at least, is a distinct character of its own. It didn’t surprise me (perhaps the poo-feeding surprised me) and perhaps it doesn’t need to, but I hope that the late game will break the template a little. There’s cause to believe that will be the case.
To my right, my old nemesis Fraser Brown (the Scottish chap in this story) had intentionally built his water pump downstream from his sewage drains, feeding his citizens their own poo.
Cities: Skylines |OT| We built this city on mods and poo

glaurung

Peeked a bit at one of the streams.

Nnnngh. I'm gonna have my perfect symmetrical city layout with this game's road design methods. Fuck SimCity 2013, this is the OCD simulator that I need.

fuck it. the greenmangaming promotion is too good to pass up, even if the game ends up being awful in the late game, I can probably get a minimum of 20 hours which is a dollar per hour

Might have to preorder this tonight. How do I get this gmg deal?

Really hope this game lives up to the expectations, or at the least gets modded to meet them eventually.

masteratt

I caved in and finally preordered the game. It is 49 tl (~$19) in my region anyway but still a preorder :) (Turkey)

Merhaba :)

I've played SimCity 2013 out of the hype this game brought on. And it was pretty fun actually for 2 or so hours, then I literally ran out of space and the game told me only way to "expand" was by making things taller so I thought "OK, done".

Re: Sips video. I used to watch Sips, loved his Orcs Must Die series. I don't know why he is swearing so much now. Not that I'm against it, I'm just against it when it's used excessively. Anyway that twitter thing wasn't annoying perse, I like the idea behind it, I think they just need to move it and have it look like a embedded twitter feed on the side somewhere.

Hyped for this. Nothing to do but wait now, can't wait to dig in :)

Well, technically, it is 2D sprites made to simulate a 3D look. The buildings aren't 3D models but are sprites drawn in two dimensions at the four various angles that the game allows you to "pan". It's pseudo 3D, like Baldur's Gate and Crusader No Remorse. It worked well back then and is actually why the game still looks pretty good to this day, but it's also why you will never have a free camera in SC4 and will never be able to get a street view of any kind.

God, it's both amazing and incredibly sad how old Simcity 4 really is, and truly pathetic that it's still the best of it's genre even today. :(

No, its 3d. It was the first with a 3D engine. You are confusing with SimCity3000. The buildings are real 3d models that cast shadows. Fixed camera doesn't make it 2D sprites.

Graphics

Unlike its predecessors, which used an engine based on 2D isometric graphics and sprites, SimCity 4 primarily uses a 3D engine to render its graphics. The landscape and moving props such as vehicles are modeled as fully polygonal and rotatable 3D objects. Small buildings and props are drawn as flat images, which are pasted onto billboards; polygons with their surface normal facing into the camera. Larger buildings are modeled using a hybrid approach; a simple polygonal model defines the shape of the building, then textures are added to create detail such as doors, windows and rooftop clutter.

Although a 3D engine is used, the camera in SimCity 4 is restricted to a fixed trimetric orthographic projection for performance reasons.[11] Additionally, a simulated city can now be seen at nighttime as well as during daytime. The time of the day does not affect the gameplay.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
RPS said:
If I have a criticism, it’s that Skylines feels very much like the game I wanted SimCity to be. It has the scale, and smart systems with legible cause and effect. What it’s lacking, in the early stages at least, is a distinct character of its own. It didn’t surprise me (perhaps the poo-feeding surprised me) and perhaps it doesn’t need to, but I hope that the late game will break the template a little. There’s cause to believe that will be the case.

So. RPS's only real criticism is that CSL feels too much like what Simcity 5 should have been and lacks it's own character. Personally, to me that's a huge positive, as all I truly want is a modern Simcity 4 game.

My lunch hour today is going to be spent watching vids of this game, hah!

Klyka

Banned
Watching the stream, I can't see how anyone who likes to play city builders would not pick this game for up at price point of 17 fucking €.

It's actually insane they are charging so little for this game.

Mengy

When does the GMG promotion end? I'd like to wait for more impressions if I can, but if it ends soon I might just buy it now.

GMG extended the 20% off deal to March 6th. I have to wonder if they did it solely for this game too. I have a very strong feeling I'll be taking advantage of that deal very shortly...

glaurung

GMG extended the 20% off deal to March 6th. I have to wonder if they did it solely for this game too. I have a very strong feeling I'll be taking advantage of that deal very shortly...
But the GMG's VIP thing appears and disappears from their site with little logic to it. Anyway, 20 EUR for this game feels like a steal anyhow.

Grief.exe

Watching Northernlion's and Quill18's videos on youtube. I want this game right now.

I've been messing around with Linux lately, this will likely be my first game to play on the operating system as well.

Mengy

They're going to be selling lots of dlc. Making the base game cheap is a (good) strategy.

Honestly, at a $25-$30 price point, if the game is as good as it seems then I'll be buying their DLC just to support them. I have zero qualms paying lots of money for a good modern offline city builder. ZERO. I shudder to think how much money I have invested into FSX over the years (with no regrets though). There is a reason why I've never tallied it all up.... o_O

Watching the stream, I can't see how anyone who likes to play city builders would not pick this game for up at price point of 17 fucking €.

It's actually insane they are charging so little for this game.

Im quite excited, but it is missing a few "artsy" things I really want to see. I really want to see growables bigger than 4x4, day/night, and seasons/weather. Im pretty confident some of all of those will come post launch.

But, all I wanted was a terrain editor and bigger maps and this game delivers both. Im super excited for next week.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Quill and Arumba are posting vids on their Youtube channels as well as the stream stuff.

Quill playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-vDE-_LldxgPAAOQrVR3onu

Arumba playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWD0Ag1pb_BaH568BaKkjm7w

Looks like both are still uploading, so those playlists should get more videos over time.

Quill has some guide videos as well as LP ones on his playlist, such as this Road guide/tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKEWpof6xho

Bacon

Well I preordered this. $20 feels like a steal for a new game and the impressions seem positive so far.

DEO3

Man, all that space. Already better than the limited space you get in SimCity.

It's funny, because for the first thirty minutes, when he only had the first tile, I found myself feeling anxious about space - like I was playing Simcity Then he bought the first neighboring tile, allowing him to then build his own custom highway interchange, and all that anxiety turned into giddy excitement.

I love how traffic just seems to work exactly like you'd expect it to - especially after Simcity. Build an access road to relieve traffic, and it just works. Build a cargo train station, and it just works. And the flexibility of what you can do with the roads is just insane - guys, guys guys, I'm so nerdy right now!

Top Bottom