• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Grand Strategy.

coastel

Hearts of Iron 4 is an open question, because it's not out yet. But CK2, EU4 and HoI3 all function sufficiently well to play them on a Surface Pro 2, which is sort of '2013-2014 ultrabook' class specs. But like I said, they can be a little slow. If you can get something moderately more powerful on the CPU and GPU front, those should be pretty playable. Integrated graphics have come a long way over the last 5 years and the paradox games are more CPU than GPU heavy.

Desktop is the preferred way to play them, but there is obviously some convenience associated with the laptop or tablet/convertable form factor.

Surface Pro 2 specs:

i5 4200 CPU
HD4400 graphics

So try to beat that if you're looking for something portable.

Seem's the best option and just had a very quick look at those kind of specs for a lappy and it's a lot cheaper than expected so will look for better. Thank you for the advice and can't wait to be playing this kind of strategy again.

beril

I put in about 100 hours into CK2, and built a massive Scandinavian empire, but at some point it just didn't feel very rewarding without any fixed goals.
The real dealbreaker tough was finally getting the homosexuality trait but being unable to take hot male lovers. But I heard they've added some new relationship systems that enables same sex relations in later expansions.

Man throwing myself into CKII without knowing what I was doing and somehow managing to conquer the irish isles is one of my favorite things i've done in a game.

SparkTR

Don't think it will be possible for them though. Their games are niche and GoT is such a huge franchise. The rights will cost them and the gameplay isn't for the average gamer.
As long as the mod exists, we can be happy.

HBO already contacted them about the mod, so lines of communication are open. This couldn't possibly do worse for the GoT brand than the pathetic RPGs and mediocre Adventures games are already doing, might be worth having something with actual quality there for HBO.

Noaloha

Paradox CEO says Game of Thrones is "one license I would consider"

Wonder how likely it would be to pull in the GOT mod group into Paradox to help work. I'd guess some of them have no formal game dev training, but other big studios have hired mod makers before, right?

As mentioned, Paradox have definitely used the mod community to inform their hires. Notable example is Henrik Farhaus, the main CK2 guy among work on several other titles.

Speaking of which, I posted this in the Community thread for Paradox Games a week or so ago but, yeah, Community threads can be a sorry sight.

Heads up to anyone interested in the design background at Paradox Int.

New Designer Notes podcast went up, in which Soren Johnson hosts an extended chat with Jon Shafer and Henrik Farhaus.

February 10, 2015 In this episode, Soren interviews Henrik Fahraeus, who is a Game Director at Paradox Interactive, where he has worked on the Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, and Hearts of Iron series. Also sitting in on the interview is Jon Shafer, lead designer of Civilization 5 and currently at work on his independent strategy game At the Gates. They discuss whether the Civ and EU games live in alternate dimension, whether provinces are better than hexes, and why it's bad to have too many sons.

CzarTim

I've got 50+ hours played in CKII and 20+ in EUIV. I think the people management in CK is cool, but the rest of the game can be tedious, especially when dealing with large empires. Having to rangle together armies every time I got raided got old. I also find myself struggling to know when to actually "do stuff." Like sometimes it's best to just let things sim at high speed for a bit to refill the coffers. I get impatient though as it's not exactly a blast to sit there doing nothing. Which is exactly why I tend to play more 4X games where you have a clear indication as to when act.

The Mapuche start w/ EU4 is hilarious. You wind up vassal feeding Andean kingdoms while you sluggishly migrate your OPM tribal council nation northward to eventually neighbor your nearest vassal so you can integrate them. Meanwhile Cusco rocks a 3-5 general and starts trying to grab everything not nailed down due to decisions leading up to forming Inca. Then you have to find your way to get across the entire continent with full of shitty jungle so you can eventually reform your tribal governent by setting up shop next to a very likely extremely belligerent European power who might even have native conquest CBs on you.

Good times. It feels like the old Aztec starts but without the decades of do-nothing that had .

The Llama

Mended the great schism as Byzantium in ~1080. Didn't think it'd end up giving me Holy War CB's over the Catholic countries though! Should hopefully be able to finish recreating the Roman Empire by 1200 or so. Only need like 3 more duchies in Italy...

Does the exporter from CK2 to EU4 work right now? I always hear its broken, but I'd love to continue this game in EU4 eventually.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
203 hours in HoI 3

266 in Vicky 2

MC68kzn.png

belushy

Banned
Yeah CK2 recently eclipsed Civ 5 as my most play game.... at 179 hours. I'm sure if my computer wasn't a piece of junk and crashed Ck2 every 10 minutes I would play more.

Oh and if I wasn't addicted to Minecraft.

Kyougar

I have

300 hours on Hoi3
236 M&B Warband
161 CK2
155 Agarest
MC68kzn.png

138 X3 Albion Prelude (all x games probably over 500 hours)
123 Skyrim
115 Darkest hout an hearts of Iron (2) game (with hoi2 another 200 hours with the non-steam version)
then some other games
Victoria 2 is at 56, but most of it (some more 150 or so hours) I played on the old digital platform from (was that from paradox, or did they have a stake in it?) I quit that service after Gamespot took over)

Striek

CK2 - 176hrs on record. Not bad since I only bought it after this thread.

So EU4 is on sale. Question time:

1) Will I enjoy it if I burnt myself out on CK2 a bit recently and is it different enough to warrant purchase?

2) What are the necessary DLCs? Are they all included in the EU4 collection (sans the new exp)?

CK2 - 176hrs on record. Not bad since I only bought it after this thread.

So EU4 is on sale. Question time:

1) Will I enjoy it if I burnt myself out on CK2 a bit recently and is it different enough to warrant purchase?

2) What are the necessary DLCs? Are they all included in the EU4 collection (sans the new exp)?

1) Despite looking very similiar, they are focused on different things. CK2 is almost like an rpg with all the character focused diplomacy and interactions. EU4 is more clear cut "pick a country and go nuts" with almost* zero focus with individual people.

Personally I like EU4 more, 750+ hours with that compared to 200+ with CK2.

* Not really beyond trying to get your bad ruler/heir killed in combat.

2) http://www.eu4wiki.com/Patches gives you a list of what each DLC adds, if the wiki page is a bit unclear then follow the link to the Paradox's forums where they list what are dlc features that you have to pay for and what are the free changes/features.

1.6 (Wealth of nations) is a bit unclear even on the Paradox's forum though. Personally I think only the Art of War is a "must have" regardless of what kind of nation you want to play with. Others are kinda specific and if you don't play with the nations that the other dlc focus on they can be kind of a waste.

- edit -
The El Dorado seems very nice with the custom nations and other randomizing options.

mbmonk

I bought the Paradox Grand Strategy bundle ( CK2, EU4, HoI3,& V2 ) yesterday. Before I could get past the tutorial in EU4 my ancient PC died. But the thought of playing these games on a Steam Controller and a new PC has me in a very good mood. Now it's just about patience :)

Thanks for creating this thread OP. It brought back the memories of my love of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games on the Sega Genesis. Can't wait to get completely lost & overwhelmed by these games :)

I bought the Paradox Grand Strategy bundle ( CK2, EU4, HoI3,& V2 ) yesterday. Before I could get past the tutorial in EU4 my ancient PC died. But the thought of playing these games on a Steam Controller and a new PC has me in a very good mood. Now it's just about patience :)

Thanks for creating this thread OP. It brought back the memories of my love of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games on the Sega Genesis. Can't wait to get completely lost & overwhelmed by these games :)

If they can ever actually bring out that controller, lol.

Would be cool if they had native support for it so you could accelerate, slow, pause with buttons and such. Never tried to remap so not sure if you can do it on gamepads etc.

mbmonk

If they can ever actually bring out that controller, lol.

Would be cool if they had native support for it so you could accelerate, slow, pause with buttons and such. Never tried to remap so not sure if you can do it on gamepads etc.

Lol true. I am hoping for a release date from GDC on the controller :)

Native support we be amazing, but I have no real idea if the controller would work with these games. Its more of an ideal vision I am using to muster patience to curb the "buy a new PC now!" Urge that is pulsing through me :)

Thanks for making this thread. I don't have a good PC right now, but when I build my VR machine for Oculus CV1 I plan to also play games like this.

Does Shogun 2 Count ?

Ly1yE4P.png

Not usually considered a Grand Strategy videogame, since the strategic layer is turn based and much of the game is real-time tactical stuff. Under the broader classification of grand strategy wargame (the origin of the term) I suppose it would fit.

But basically,

thewrongkingdomiadvic07u1r.jpg

Ichi_

Neo Member
HOI3 is catching up to EU3 on time played, been on a big push to finally figure that game out. Had to put EUIV down for a bit wait for the new dlc to go on sale. I have CK2 but haven't delved into it, only so much free time unfortunately.

7tI32AH.jpg

Against AI, it's not that hard to "solve" Hearts of Iron 3 for certain countries. As UK I can solo the axis, as USA I can beat the Axis and take out the USSR before 1945, stuff like that. I even had a game as China (custom game mode though) where I annexed Japan inside of a couple of years. I'd get totally obliterated in multiplayer though, lol.

Ichi_

Neo Member
Against AI, it's not that hard to "solve" Hearts of Iron 3 for certain countries. As UK I can solo the axis, as USA I can beat the Axis and take out the USSR before 1945, stuff like that. I even had a game as China (custom game mode though) where I annexed Japan inside of a couple of years. I'd get totally obliterated in multiplayer though, lol.

Have you played much with Back Ice mod?

Soooooooooo many hundreds of hours. The Battleground series is simply incredible, especially for the Win3.1 era. It's phase/turn-based (so not entirely the same deal as the OP) but the sort of game where you have to think 10-20+ turns in advance to be effective and you can easily lose entire nights not realizing how late it is. Infinite replayability.

Battleground_3_-_Waterloo_Coverart.png
Battleground_6_-_Napoleon_in_Russia_Coverart.png

Tenebrous

Edit: Gone.

I'm also looking to play CK2 online for the first time. I'm not a great player by any means (only 190 hours or so), but I know the fundamentals. Wouldn't mind finding groups for other Paradox games, but my experience with EU4 is pretty limited.

MattyG

Banned
I just got the Paradox Humble Bundle. Which game should I start with (after I finish TW3 of course!)? Any tips for someone who has never played a grand strategy game before?

I'm terrible at RTS but okay at turn based stuff like Civ V, so I'm hoping I can manage to learn these games fairly well.

I just got the Paradox Humble Bundle. Which game should I start with (after I finish TW3 of course!)? Any tips for someone who has never played a grand strategy game before?

I'm terrible at RTS but okay at turn based stuff like Civ V, so I'm hoping I can manage to learn these games fairly well.

Either CK2 or EU4 depending on which sounds more interesting.

CK2
- Europe, North Africa, Near East
- Internal feudal politics of a country modeled to a significant degree
- You play as a member of a dynasty, marry other characters, have kids, engage in backstabbery and warfare

EU4
- Whole world is available
- Internal politics abstracted, more focused on interactions between countries
- More detailed combat/warfare
- Features exploration and colonization
- You play as a nation

Pollux

Either CK2 or EU4 depending on which sounds more interesting.

CK2
- Europe, North Africa, Near East
- Internal feudal politics of a country modeled to a significant degree
- You play as a member of a dynasty, marry other characters, have kids, engage in backstabbery and warfare

EU4
- Whole world is available
- Internal politics abstracted, more focused on interactions between countries
- More detailed combat/warfare
- Features exploration and colonization
- You play as a nation

You can't make this recommendation without mentioning the Game of Thrones conversion mod for CK2...

Anybody interested in signing up on the new HoI4 website can use my referral link. Not sure what benefits I get from it but everyone who signs up in general gets a free DLC pack and is put in the draw for HoI4 closed beta invite.

Chariot

So, I want to get into Hearts of Iron, I got HoI II: Complete, HOI III and Darkest Hour. Which one is recommended to play, what mods should be used and any tips to start off? I often tried to play the games, but I never got far due ... being smashed to pieces.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Based on my experience with Darkest Hour (which I believe was just a redone version of HOI2 anyway), I'd still recommend HOI3 overall, but there are certain aspects of Darkest Hour that I enjoy more, such as the research system. If you're going to start with HOI3, I'd suggest going with Germany on very easy or easy and try to stick to Germany's historical path (besides, of course, the defeat part). Maybe let the AI handle certain mechanics, like production and trade. The tech tree is very convoluted, but I would not recommend giving that to the AI, since success in HOI3 really depends on knowing the tech tree well and planning out your research in advance. There are some techs that are almost always vital: infantry and artillery, land doctrines (particularly those that increase organization and morale), and certain industry techs, such as agriculture, education, industrial efficiency, combat medicine, first aid, and the techs that increase research efficiency. Germany also needs to focus on air and armor techs. Supply and resource techs are nice too, particularly if you're deficient in certain resources.

As for combat, it's absolutely important not to leave any gaps in your line so that you avoid getting encircled. New players seem to have trouble with breakthroughs in their line. Espionage generally isn't worth it, in my opinion, but you always want enough spies to increase national unity and the threats of other nations. Even if you don't plan on going to war before the historical date, you want to decrease your neutrality to get access to better laws. Once you've got a good grasp of the game, it's a good idea to consult the HOI3 Wiki for strategies on specific nations.

Top Bottom