• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Alo0oy

Banned
Well when you put it that way I guess I could be wrong. it could outsell Halo. But Halo will most certainly still have the better attach rate. It is the bigger franchise.

When UC3 launched in 2011 the X360 install base was much bigger, so it definitely had a higher attache rate than Halo 4.

Kosma

Banned
I didn't buy a PS4 for a specific game but because:

-its more powerful then XB1, so better multiplats
-PS+
-my friends would get PS4's too (and they have)

I still feel Sony needs to seriously drop the PS4's price this E3 to stay competitive.

At the VERY LEAST drop it for the Holiday Season.

PS4 can't reach its full potential at $399.99, no matter what Sony thinks.

Stay competitive with what? They are number 1.

I still feel Sony needs to seriously drop the PS4's price this E3 to stay competitive.

Alo0oy

Banned

Right now, "competitive" is a step down from Sony's current market position, since they're absolutely smoking the competition.

geordiemp

^ The order is not a Sony WWS game.

As for the topic...

system sellers depend on what is important to the gamer in question.

For many people 'system sellers' are not AAA exclusive games with metacritic over an arbitrary number. Its causal friendly games which a lot of people play.

PS4 through a combination of factors including wildcard new markets that have opened up to gaming in ways never seen previously, has sold itself globally to the consumer base as "the console" to primarily play games on. The same way the PS1 was, the same way the PS2 was, and the 360 in America was.

Once you become "the console" to play games on be it multis or not, there's no real going back from that, your gonna take whatever market that has been ensnared by that mindset.

Your right up to the point bolded at the end, as your comments make it sound as though people are almost fooled into believing Ps4 is favoured for multi platform games.

The facts are it objectively is the most capable console in specs and indeed performance except for a couple of digital foundry outliers of poor coding devs..

That was the whole ethos behind the Ps4 design, its no accident and many people see this.

System sellers are the big sellers, the CODs, FIFA's, GTA 5's and if Ps4 generally runs the big games objectively 'better' and most people know that then its game over. One this is accepted and momentum starts...that's it.

And no we cannot look back at historical consoles and say the best hardware did not always win, its 2015 and with strong social media the market is more aware.

I bought a PS4 because I trust Sony in their consoles and games.

And I got this at Launch for 474 € (amazon.de price mistake)

PS4
2nd controller
Killzone Shadow Fall
Camera

Sold camera and Killzone for 100 €. So i basically paid 374€ for a PS4 with a second controller. Really good deal, if you ask me.

Stay competitve with what? they are in the lead and the gap is massive in most markets. I would say all Sony needs to do is add value to the existing price, offer free game downloads etc.

Sony can keep the same price until they release a PS4 slim in the future.

This is not relevant for consumers at all. only for us enthusiasts. maybe.
an exclusive game is an exclusive game.
even if it is timed, most do not realise it. hell, even a marketing partnership for a game that gets released on both consoles will appear exclusive for the most consumers.

I think it does matter even for regular consumers. Most of those game are not gonna sell systems by themselves. As as overall game catalog it looks weaker for people that are later adopters.

Your last statement is definitely false. COD sells about equally on both platforms despite the long-standing marketing deal.

Replicant

I was actually going to buy both PS4 and XBone but after what MS did, I just want to see them burn in Hell. I don't care they reversed their position later because they not only made fun of us beforehand, they also used the media to undermined customers.

I don't forgive easily and I sure don't forget. Let this be a lesson to any company including Sony.

I was actually going to buy both PS4 and XBone but after what MS did, I just want to see them burn in Hell. I don't care they reversed their position later because they not only made fun of us beforehand, they also used the media to undermined customers.

I don't forgive easily and I sure don't forget. Let this be a lesson to any company including Sony.

image.php

Good... Good, Let the hate flow through you

I do not plan to buy a Xbox One anytime soon but they have plenty of things in the works I want to see. Gears of War, Crackdown, Quantum Break (anything Remedy does) and Scalebound.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Pretty impressive as I felt Xbox 360 dominated PS3 so to turn it around has been immense. Wonder if they can keep it up with PS5?!
Maybe in US 360 dominated but WW no. They might have dominated for its 1st yr or so but that's because PS3 hadn't launched. I payed $999au for my launch PS3 (without games in that price) and was money well spent ☺

Marlenus

Prior to their announcements I was not bothered if I went PS4 or Xbox One as I tend to buy more multiplats than exclusives and I was going to buy them them both at some point anyway so I could catch up with the good exclusives on my secondary choice at a later date.

My three criteria for choosing the console was
1) Performance
2) Price
3) Philosophy

As it so happened Sony nailed all 3 and MS failed at all 3 so I went with the PS4 and I pre-ordered after the E3 price announcement.

Sure since then MS has righted their philosophy and price but I am now waiting for enough exclusives that interest me and for the price point to be a lot lower as it is going to be my secondary console.

Huggers

Honestly don't think wither of the new systems have system sellers in the traditional sense. Not yet any way. Be interesting to see the waves titles like Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 make especially as both PS4 and Xbox One are already selling so well

Honestly don't think wither of the new systems have system sellers in the traditional sense. Not yet any way. Be interesting to see the waves titles like Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 make especially as both PS4 and Xbox One are already selling so well

whats the traditional sense?

Apt101

Coming out last gen, I just found myself enjoying the library of exclusives on the PS3 while not being enamored with much for the 360 - though I could of gone either way, being a new start and all. Then MS's DRM policy trajectory, or whatever it was (they seemed wishy-washy on the policies if I recall), seemed bizarre and definitely turned me off. Then when I saw the specs and prices my choice was solidified; I wasn't going to pay more for less.

SmokyDave

Most powerful console + lowest price point + the games that actually matter (AC / CoD / FIFA) = Killer sales. It's not rocket science.

You don't sell 20.2 million units this fast by catering to the people that fret about 'exclusive system sellers', you sell 'em to the mainstream.

d9b

Banned
Respawn was contracted by Electronic Arts to make a game, and Microsoft helped out financially to make it get made and then struck a deal with EA to keep it forever off PlayStation.
And that's totally not PR bullshit. Or is it? Titanfall saved XboxOne (on hype alone) and I would say it was a last minute decision. And a great decision it was. Now for the game itself, once it was released ... that's up for debate, but Titanfall hype alone moved some units months before it was even released. Let's be real here.

Putch

Neo Member
As a proud owner of the PS4 black and PS4 20th anniversary edition, this makes me happy. I bought the PS4 because of the low price, high performance and design. Once Uncharted 4 releases later this year, the sell-through numbers will no doubt skyrocket.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
And that's totally not PR bullshit. Or is it? Titanfall saved XboxOne (on hype alone) and I would say it was a last minute decision. And a great decision it was. Now for the game itself, once it was released ... that's up for debate, but Titanfall hype alone moved some units months before it was even released. Let's be real here.
I don't know if it's PR bullshit. My example was more to show the difference between the two projects and that Microsoft as the publisher deserves the credit for funding Sunset Overdrive from pitch to release with Insomniac holding up their end of the deal by making a good game.

The official line is that Respawn contacted Sony about bringing the game to their next console. Sony wasn't ready to talk about it yet, but suggested putting it on the Vita. Respawn then contacted MS about it and they were ready to talk. Down the line EA determined that they were going to need a first party investor to help launch the game, so they made a deal with MS and that's what ended up making it exclusive.

Conduit

Banned

Absolutely not. Not in the amount how MS expected to be. You still can buy Titanfall Xbone bundle on Amazon, i mean, from some sellers.

Banana is right. It's not a problem for me though, as I'm having a lot of fun with the smaller indie titles.
He may seem right to you, but me personally I would not call myself a "desperate" PS fan. I don't need one or two must have games, I need a diverse library, and the PS4 fits that entirely. I'ts not AAA every day for me.

Now it's my turn to sigh.

A good/great quality game =/= a game that sells system. I am sure there are many heart-broken Bayonetta 2 fans in GAF that can tell you that.

In terms of Sony, the only franchise that I can think of that I think qualify for a system seller moniker would be perhaps Gran Turismo.

I agree however, to your assertion that it is a combination of A B C D E F G that sells PS4 so far. I just don't personally think Sony has a single A or B or C that is strong enough to be called a system seller, at least so far. Well, perhaps I am wrong.
Your definition of a 'system seller' is subjective, vague and pointless. When a consoles sells well because it has an A B C D E F G shitload of great games, there's no point in complaining 'yes, but it doesn't have 'just' A and B'.
Having 7 games worth buying a console for is better than just having 1 or 2 games. In no way does this mean game A and B are worth more than C D E F G. It simply means game A or B are worth more for the platform to sell well.

In a sense, a console having 1 or 2 system sellers is not a good sign.
When you look at the history of gaming platform and games being glamoured as 'system sellers' it's because:
a. the platform was selling poorly and relied on just one or two franchises to keep it's sales up: Halo (xbox), RE4 (GC), Monster Hunter (PSP), MGS4 (PS3), Titanfall (XBone), Mario xxx (Wii U)
b. the platform was an anomaly called the Wii where people bought 30 million copies of Wii fit/sport/play each

Well, like I said, Nintendo has survived so far so long mainly due to the strength of its 1st party offerings. If their 1st party offerings don't have the strength to sell or support their system, I doubt they would have made it this far.
You're using double standards here.
You can't state Nintendo's first party games are systemsellers for the Wii U and at the same time state that better selling games like FIFA, CoD, GTA aren't systemsellers for the PS4.

I think it does matter even for regular consumers. Most of those game are not gonna sell systems by themselves. As as overall game catalog it looks weaker for people that are later adopters.

Your last statement is definitely false. COD sells about equally on both platforms despite the long-standing marketing deal.
Okay, let me correct myself or backtrack a little:
hell, even a marketing partnership for a game that gets released on both consoles will appear exclusive for the most consumers when you do it right and the franchise has not been multiplatform year over year already...
I think more of Destiny than of COD. Call of Duty comes around every year as sure as Christmas. So you cannot make anyone believe it is exclusive. A new, big IP on the other hand might work. When done well.

Melchiah

Your *sighing* doesn't change the fact that yes, so far Sony has yet to produce a single game that can be rightfully called a system seller yet for the PS4, which is quite unfortunate. Judging from the high sales, it seems like people will be easily satisfied so long as you can play the latest/best iterations of GTAs or Battlefields or CODs... not that there's anything wrong with it.

And the fact that Nintendo has survived this long clearly refutes your first party exclusives don't sell systems hogwash. If it were true, Nintendo would have been long gone by now.

I am interested though, does anyone have data about how well Sony's 1st party exclusives performed in sales in comparison to games like BF4 or CODs?

I think people often overlook, that it's the combination of both 1st and 3rd party that sell the systems. The 1st party games may not have met everyone's expectations, but it doesn't mean that they didn't affect the purchase decision. They certainly were system sellers to me, and from my point of view the PS4's current exclusive offerings outnumber and outdo those of the PS3's first 15 months easily.

AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong, KZ:SF is the 2nd best-selling FPS on the PS4, only bested by Destiny.

Actually, InFAMOUS Second Son was a system seller because the PS4 was able to win the NPD in March, the same month TitanFall came out. InFAMOUS sold over 1 million copies in just 9 days.

That's true, and seems to be forgotten now.

Well I guess I'm more speaking from personal experience. I fell for the hype of Second Son and felt it was going to be the first must-have PS4 exclusive. While the game was a lot of fun, I managed to platinum it in only two days. I was a bit disappointed and I felt I should have just rented it.

That's another thing that varies from one person to another. It took me 17 days to platinum I:SS, and I'd wager many of the +30 year old players, who are the majority nowadays, can't complete games in a matter of days. Even if they're relatively short.

AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong, KZ:SF is the 2nd best-selling FPS on the PS4, only bested by Destiny.

That's another thing that varies from one person to another. It took me 17 days to platinums I:SS, and I'd wager many of the +30 year old players, which are the majority nowadays, can't complete games in a matter of days. Even if they're relatively short.

I would put Wolfenstein and Battlefield above KZ:SF but it is all down to personnal taste.

Agree with your point about finishing games, it took me a week to finish The Order and I think DA took me around 2 months.

Edit: Sorry mis-read your quote thought you said best. :)

Melchiah

I would put Wolfenstein and Battlefield above KZ:SF but it is all down to personnal taste.

Agree with your point about finishing games, it took me a week to finish The Order and I think DA took me around 2 months.

Edit: Sorry mis-read your quote thought you said best. :)

DA:I took me nearly 1½ months, and The Order four days with a breather day inbetween.

Contrary to the popular opinion around here, I actually enjoyed KZ:SF, especially the campaign's variety, although it contributed on the lack of cohesion as well.

I didn't own a PS3 last gen only a 360, towards the end of the generation i was jealous of all the great 1st party titles being released, which the 360 really lacked towards the end.

I got my PS4 at launch and have not regretted it, I chose the PS4 over Xbox One for a few reasons:

1. Power - Better looking/performing multi plats and exclusives.
2. Exclusives - The last few years of the PS3 showed me what I was missing out on.
3. Focus on gaming compared to Microsoft's 'living room' philosophy that I wasn't interested in.
4. The policies Microsoft wanted to implement turned me off completely.

EGM1966

M°°nblade;154830697 said:
Your definition of a 'system seller' is subjective, vague and pointless. When a consoles sells well because it has an A B C D E F G shitload of great games, there's no point in complaining 'yes, but it doesn't have 'just' A and B'.
Having 7 games worth buying a console for is better than just having 1 or 2 games. In no way does this mean game A and B are worth more than C D E F G. It simply means game A or B are worth more for the platform to sell well.

In a sense, a console having 1 or 2 system sellers is not a good sign.
When you look at the history of gaming platform and games being glamoured as 'system sellers' it's because:
a. the platform was selling poorly and relied on just one or two franchises to keep it's sales up: Halo (xbox), RE4 (GC), Monster Hunter (PSP), MGS4 (PS3), Titanfall (XBone), Mario xxx (Wii U)
b. the platform was an anomaly called the Wii where people bought 30 million copies of Wii fit/sport/play each

You're using double standards here.
You can't state Nintendo's first party games are systemsellers for the Wii U and at the same time state that better selling games like FIFA, CoD, GTA aren't systemsellers for the PS4.
Couldn't agree more. Personally I find the whole lack of "system sellers" and lack of exclusives tiring.

Neither exist the way a minority think they do and neither have proven to be major factors for a number of gen's (if ever) in isolation.

Just looking at Halo 2 sales relative to OG Xbox should make it clear a couple of notable system sellers or exclusives doesn't tend to guarantee large console sales and install base.

Variety and market perception as "overall best single choice" is where the big sales are and with PS1, PS2 and currently PS4 Sony have a strong history (arguably better than Nintendo or MS) of securing that coveted market perception.

Even the PS3 wasn't too shabby; last gen they effectively split market preference with MS by region with Wii deginately charting it's own (mostly non-competitive) course at the same time.

Myself I'd rather sell the most consoles and SW with a broad range of modestly popular titles than have a few notable big sellers with a much smaller console install base if I was the platform provider.

Shengar

Most PS2 "system sellers" during its first two years were 3rd party. This is to be expected due to the sheer domination of the system and its predecessor. Now because the 7th Generation where the split is even, this forced developers to release their games on multiple platform. So for me the notion that Sony themselves must create system sellers is a ridiculous because that really ignore what was happened in gaming industry in past two decades. Third party that makes the library appealing, not just first party.

First of all hats off to sony for the sales they are well deserved. I think oftentimes we as hardcore gamers tend to forget that we are really only a small niche even part of the larger gaming community. Most gamers are single console only types who will stick with one console throughout a entire generation ( which is why nintendo's strategy of being a secondary console won't work but that's a story for another day). I myself fit this bill as I am too a single console gamer.Let me tell you why I picked the PS4.

1. The games: Once again I think the sentiments of 1st party games counting more than third party games is something that is only found in the hardcore community. Looking at my Ps4 gaming catalog I only have played one exclusive title ( Infamous SS) with hopefully bloodborne being the next game I buy. Most of my time has been spent on 3rd party games: DA; NBA 2k15; watchdogs, among others. This trend is something that the market as a whole follows one only has to look at the sales of the Wii U to see that point.

2. Pricing: PS4 was priced at a point that I thought was fair for what I was getting; Simply put the Xbone was to expensive; and the Wii U not even part of the equation.

3. Power: This is the area where we start to see a spilt even in the hardcore community. While many seem to be comparing this consoles to High-end PC's. The majority of the market are comparing them to the consoles that came before them... With that said it is known the PS4 is most powerful console so not much point of explaining here

FATALITY

Banned
^ The order is not a Sony WWS game.

As for the topic...

system sellers depend on what is important to the gamer in question.

For many people 'system sellers' are not AAA exclusive games with metacritic over an arbitrary number. Its causal friendly games which a lot of people play.

PS4 through a combination of factors including wildcard new markets that have opened up to gaming in ways never seen previously, has sold itself globally to the consumer base as "the console" to primarily play games on. The same way the PS1 was, the same way the PS2 was, and the 360 in America was.

Once you become "the console" to play games on be it multis or not, there's no real going back from that, your gonna take whatever market that has been ensnared by that mindset.

The order is Sony wws game period. Don't spread fud.

BibiMaghoo

Though not Wii levels, they have certainly hit something with the mainstream non-core gamer. I know plenty of people that don't really game on consoles, or game very little, and have purchased PS4's. It seems this gen so far, Sony have reached those less likely to buy a console at all, where Nintendo did before them.

MMaRsu

Banned
Now it's my turn to sigh.

A good/great quality game =/= a game that sells system. I am sure there are many heart-broken Bayonetta 2 fans in GAF that can tell you that.

In terms of Sony, the only franchise that I can think of that I think qualify for a system seller moniker would be perhaps Gran Turismo.

I agree however, to your assertion that it is a combination of A B C D E F G that sells PS4 so far. I just don't personally think Sony has a single A or B or C that is strong enough to be called a system seller, at least so far. Well, perhaps I am wrong.

Well, like I said, Nintendo has survived so far so long mainly due to the strength of its 1st party offerings. If their 1st party offerings don't have the strength to sell or support their system, I doubt they would have made it this far.

Hey let me give you a hint.

Ps4 doesnt need a "system seller". The system itself is the system seller.

I'm right there with you. Last gen, I bought a 360 about a year after they came out, and then bought a PS3 Slim the day they were launched with the price drop. Up through end of life of both, I had to have two 360s replaced due to RRoD and a video card failure. The PS3 hummed along nicely the whole time I had it. In the meantime, I had also moved away from almost all MS products in my house, as they have a history of causing me nothing but frustration. Needless to say, I went PS4 only this gen, and not being a Halo fan, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I was not the only one in my circle of friends either. It seems like a long time ago, but people have not forgotten all the 360's hardware problems, even though they were solved by the end of the generation. Seems like mindshare is firmly in Sony's camp for now.

Not really, people bought PS3 in EU & ROTW because Playstation is a more popular brand there, exclusives weren't the reason. People wouldn't have bought Xbox 360 which was an irrelevant console to many markets if Sony didn't release those exclusives.
Yes, they really did. Exclusives created a major reason to own a console now that it was affordable. The brand was always popular in Europe, that didn't change the PS3 for selling poorly the first two years. Exclusives brought a ton of positive buzz at the time.

I have several of my casual friends that don't really play games and are not happy that Uncharted 4 is PS4 only because they don't want to buy a new console for it but may have to by the end of the year. Also say that madness when Gran Turismo hits in Europe and see what happens to PlayStation sales.

MMaRsu

Banned
Good... Good, Let the hate flow through you

I do not plan to buy a Xbox One anytime soon but they have plenty of things in the works I want to see. Gears of War, Crackdown, Quantum Break (anything Remedy does) and Scalebound.

Hate? More like rational thinking. fuck ms

GRaider81

Hey let me give you a hint.

Ps4 doesnt need a "system seller". The system itself is the system seller.

Exactly. These numbers are without a "system seller"

It's remarkable.

No matter how much Ms has made strives to rectify it, the reveal plus the actual hardware has hurt them (yeah I know it's selling well in comparison to 360 etc)

1st impressions really do last.

EGM1966

They're not part of WWS, no..... Not yet, at least.... While the Order is first party, RAD is not.
Would that make The Order second party?

I thought 1st party was internal studio exclusive

2nd party was external studio exclusive

3rd party was external multiplatform

Or am I wrong? Second party has always semed like a bit of s grey area.

th4tguy

Would that make The Order second party?

I thought 1st party was internal studio exclusive

2nd party was external studio exclusive

3rd party was external multiplatform

Or am I wrong? Second party has always semed like a bit of s grey area.

Sony may own the ip.

Top Bottom