• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 FAQ (Gamepressure) & Interview (IBT)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
what

WHAT

WHAT

WHAT

I fixed the grass in The Witcher 2, and this appears exactly the same, so this is how it works; instead of draw distance being handled exclusively by the back end of the engine it's handled by per asset data, which the engine draws upon for information on namely for LOD transitions.

So for example in a lot of PC games you can tweak the engine cfg or ini files and find simple draw distance variables that will improve LOD transitions for more or less everything. From memory Source is a pretty good example of this. Basic commands will increase the LOD distance for all mesh/assets effectively eradicating LOD transitions and rendering everything in the highest quality over the longest possible distance.

In The Witcher 2 (and now The Witcher 3) that data is stored in the assets themselves. The engine pulls up grass, character, or whatever else, and that asset has tiers of LOD that the engine uses to calculate mesh complexity. The engine should, like The Witcher 2, have a mixed asset rendering distance command, so I'm surprised they're implying The Witcher 3 does not and I figure that's a mistake. In The Witcher 2 you could increase rendering distance of foliage and some assets, but it would still restrict LOD detail to whatever is hard coded into the assets.

In short, to fix the foliage rendering distance in The Witcher 2 I had to load up every single foliage asset individually in the editor and custom tweak the LOD one by one, then bake it into a mod for the game to use the "new" asset data.

Even then, I could never find a solution for characters, buildings, and some props. The general rendering distance command only works on some assets, excluding others (like characters, etc). So, for example, if you work out the draw distance rendering transition for a tent and the characters surrounding it, no line of command in the cfg or ini, nor any data in the assets themselves, could "fix" the pop-in. They were locked to their rendering distance.

That being said the engine still draws upon rendering distance tiers, so there should still be stuff like Rendering Distance = Low/Medium/High or whatever for performance reasons. But going beyond the maximum might not be possible. Unlike, say, Skyrim where increasing draw distance for everything is handled exclusively by the engine and very easy to tweak.

In the past, I used to get so happy to "100+ hours of gaming", but I now more leery regarding games with those length, particularity open-world games. Dragon Age Inquisition REALLY made me dislike these kind of games even more.

I'm hoping the main missions and side-quests are meaningful and not filler like the Assassin Creeds and Dragon Age :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The game was up for so long on one of those sales that someone bought the game then streamed the entire thing on twitch while the game was still up.

That must have been the first time, they had "limited" items for sale and Jack Keane 2 just didn't go away, it was up there for over a day IIRC :lol.

GoG decided to troll the next sale when they had 30 minute intervals for sales, they put Jack Keane 2 up for 3 hours.

Tagyhag

That direct "more like Gothic than Skyrim" statement about level scaling got me all hot and bothered. Skyrim became so uninteresting once the mammoths and giants were no longer dangerous (which was about three hours into the game).

So true. Anyone who's played Gothic 2 knows how damn good the difficulty in that game is.

Fuck you wolves.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, the Gothic, not Skyrim statement RE: difficulty and scaling is very, very good news. It's a far more preferable way of doing open world RPGs to me, and goes a long way towards making the game world exciting to explore. Scaling dilutes the thrill of adventuring by making differences in the world itself trivial.

zkorejo

Still 2 months away.

I got excited for this game a bit too early... I just want to pretend this game doesnt exist until its May 2015. I am sick of waiting.

Aces&Eights

Yeah, the Gothic, not Skyrim statement RE: difficulty and scaling is very, very good news. It's a far more preferable way of doing open world RPGs to me, and goes a long way towards making the game world exciting to explore. Scaling dilutes the thrill of adventuring by making differences in the world itself trivial.

I concur. When it comes to exploring vast lands, knowing whatever I meet is on par with me is kind of immersion breaking. I like not knowing if something is going to one hit me or be a push over. Makes exploring caves and forests really tense.

erawsd

I agree with respect to the world inhabitants. However, I do think that some limited scaling for the main quest npcs should be done, at least on harder difficulties so that I can enjoy exploring the world and do side stuff without overleveling and breaking the narrative.

El Jaffe

[*]They had to cut ice-skating from the game ("you play as Ciri and you were going to ice-skate and fight!")("left-right, the blades...you pirouette and then you slice heads") - cut because they did not want to add new gameplay mechanics at the end (also the locations guy sounds like he hated it)

Man, that would have been a cool feature, my favorite part from any of the books is probably when Ciri did that at the end of The Swallows Tower, it was pretty cold blooded and sort of disturbing, but it was justified.

ciri_by_wojciechfus-d7zka9g.png

Chobel

I fixed the grass in The Witcher 2, and this appears exactly the same, so this is how it works; instead of draw distance being handled exclusively by the back end of the engine it's handled by per asset data, which the engine draws upon for information on namely for LOD transitions.

So for example in a lot of PC games you can tweak the engine cfg or ini files and find simple draw distance variables that will improve LOD transitions for more or less everything. From memory Source is a pretty good example of this. Basic commands will increase the LOD distance for all mesh/assets effectively eradicating LOD transitions and rendering everything in the highest quality over the longest possible distance.

In The Witcher 2 (and now The Witcher 3) that data is stored in the assets themselves. The engine pulls up grass, character, or whatever else, and that asset has tiers of LOD that the engine uses to calculate mesh complexity. The engine should, like The Witcher 2, have a mixed asset rendering distance command, so I'm surprised they're implying The Witcher 3 does not and I figure that's a mistake. In The Witcher 2 you could increase rendering distance of foliage and some assets, but it would still restrict LOD detail to whatever is hard coded into the assets.

In short, to fix the foliage rendering distance in The Witcher 2 I had to load up every single foliage asset individually in the editor and custom tweak the LOD one by one, then bake it into a mod for the game to use the "new" asset data.

Even then, I could never find a solution for characters, buildings, and some props. The general rendering distance command only works on some assets, excluding others (like characters, etc). So, for example, if you work out the draw distance rendering transition for a tent and the characters surrounding it, no line of command in the cfg or ini, nor any data in the assets themselves, could "fix" the pop-in. They were locked to their rendering distance.

That being said the engine still draws upon rendering distance tiers, so there should still be stuff like Rendering Distance = Low/Medium/High or whatever for performance reasons. But going beyond the maximum might not be possible. Unlike, say, Skyrim where increasing draw distance for everything is handled exclusively by the engine and very easy to tweak.

God damn! That must have been a lot of work.

cripterion

Watched that PAX panel, of course it's a shame that the game can't go balls out and has to compromise to lower end machines/consoles but everything sounds great, I'm pumped for the game.
I also kind of like the dig at Dragon Age Inquisition when the dev says they made the world huge cause it makes sense story and content wise.

Isendurl

New info from Gamestar.de

Their guy was able to play new build for 2 days.

-Significantly improved performance even on ultra settings
-Barely any bugs of note
-Hairworks looks fantastic
-60fps on Ultra on the 980

(I used google translator to get this info so maybe it's not all 100% accurate.)

Translation, thanks to ReptilePZ from The Witcher forums.

The Witcher 3 - Exclusive: System requirements for Ultra-optimized Details

CD Projekt has reduced the hardware requirements of The Witcher 3 noticeably. We had 2 days to convince ourselves of that during our exclusive Preview.

By Heiko Klinge

(Referring to the latest 4K screenshot) This is how The Witcher 3 looks with ultra details.

The Witcher 3 is two months away from release and already feels nicely rounded out, without bugs and above all, much less hardware-hungry than in its last major press event in late January. This is probably the most surprising finding of Gamestar chief editor Heiko Klinge last week as the world's first journalist who was allowed to play the mammoth role-playing game from CD Projekt for full two days and without restrictions.

Without restrictions means that even with maximum graphic details. So we cranked up all different types of configurable graphics options from the grass density to texture, water and terrain details to 'Ultra'. Because in our PC (Intel i7-4790, 16GB RAM) there was also a Geforce GTX 980, we were also able to activate the option "Nvidia Hair Works". The result, to put it lightly, knocked our socks off: In Geralt's face, we saw each skin pore, his long shadow spread in the setting sun like a bed sheet on a dense colorful flower meadow, the breeze made his white hair flutter realistically in the wind.

But what's even more important than all the graphic splendor: Even with ultra details the game ran at 60 frames per second and a lot smoother than the Preview code from the press event in January did, where we "only" saw the game on High details. Only in the densely populated Novigrad there was some noticeable stuttering, but CD project aims to optimize the performance up to the launch even further.

During our two times with the game, we only noticed three bugs: Once we lost control of camera readjustment during a fight, a saved game could not be loaded (a restart fixed the problem), and once we had a horse make itself comfortable on a three-meter column, which was funny rather than annoying.

Completely bug-free - something that a project of this magnitude will certainly not be. But the delay has definitely done good for the Witcher 3. At least our impression of the state of the game is already better than that of its predecessor before release. This is also suggested by the fact that CD Projekt no longer have to worry only about bug fixing, but also have time for a few cosmetic changes. So the vegetation pop-in should be reduced further.

EatChildren

God damn! That must have been a lot of work.

More than I liked, less than you'd think. Not too many foliage assets to change in the long run, and the changes themselves pretty easy.

A 980 runs the game @ 1080p ultra / 60fps. That is quite reasuring.

Perhaps I know what graphics card I should pick up whilst waiting for Pascal...

Denton

Oooooooooh that sounds gooooooood.
Maybe my 280x will manage to push out that 60fps in decent detail..

.. Who am I kidding, gonna upgrade anyway.

tcrunch

Watched that PAX panel, of course it's a shame that the game can't go balls out and has to compromise to lower end machines/consoles but everything sounds great, I'm pumped for the game.

Tbh I came out of that panel more interested in the dynamic gameplay features they added (like the deer smell thing). Don't get me wrong I definitely want games that utilize the power of PS4/Xbone or PCs to the fullest extent, but I don't mind it "only" looking like DAI or Skyrim+1 if that means they got to tuck in some extra non-visual gameplay features. Since we can't look at a screenshot of the deer smell effect I feel these details are underemphasized in game conversations.

However with that running time on the sidequests and even the MQ it is now a matter of crossing fingers to hope the combat in the final version is serviceable.

Man, that would have been a cool feature, my favorite part from any of the books is probably when Ciri did that at the end of The Swallows Tower, it was pretty cold blooded and sort of disturbing, but it was justified.

That would have been amazing. It would've shown off how badass Ciri really is.

Whoa... Where did you get that artwork?

Top Bottom