• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U) will ironically be not THAT affordable

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The great idea, one of the best uses of Gamepad (and using this for both SP and co-op) and the amount of work that seems to have been put into it for polishing it makes the price actually quite low. It has the potential of being one of the best indie games on Wii U.

Vena

:D That's honestly how I thought this would go given recent trends^^

I think, from now on, rather than price, you should present threads like this in increments of Kirby.

This title, for instance, costs half a Kirby.

JkZrVN1.png

noshten

Going to wait on the reviews, it's important for me that the single player is really as challanging as the previews are saying. Should be interesting if people who reviewed it played it alone and how they will react - if most were incapable of finishing the game I will buy it.

Memory

Read the thread, nobody is complaining ;)

It's due to arrive on April 9th, and KnapNok Games has now informed us of the pricing for the title. It'll be at the high-end of the market in Europe and North America, costing $19.99 / €18.99 / £16.99 at launch; importantly, it's also confirmed that we shouldn't expect any discounts until at least Fall.

$19.99/£16.99 is far from the high-end of the market but the source state that it is implying that indie games like this should cost cheaper.

If the impressions/reviews say its a buggy mess or boring then yeah that's fine but throwing an arbitrary price range on indie titles in the day and age where indies are actually delivering some of the best experiences in gaming is nonsensical.

TheMoon

$19.99/£16.99 is far from the high-end of the market but the source state that it is implying that indie games like this should cost cheaper.

It's not implying that they should be cheaper, it's implying that they usually are cheaper. Which is true. And on the eShop, $20 is absolutely on the higher end of the price range for eShop-only titles.

Converse

Banned
20$!? Why isn't it free with every WiiU? Why isn't the WiiU 99$ yet? Why isn't the game free on PS+ yet?

How's that?

Will get it when its free and comes with infinite girlfriends

You guys forgot that this $99 Wii U that comes with PS+ and infinite girlfriends also needs to ditch the GamePad and come with the Pro Controller. Then you'd about have it covered.

I weep for the dystopian App store nightmare world we live in where $20 is considered too much to charge for a brand new video game.
When $20 for a game is considered "not that affordable", I feel like the perceived value/devaluation of games might be becoming a problem. Nice to see some level heads here, and some devs knowing what their product is worth and sticking to it.
Word up homies.

I hope very much that this game turns a healthy profit for these guys. If gaming can't support quality products of any size, well, we won't get them anymore, will we.

A problem? No, that's just how you choose to read it. If anything the title implies that it deviates from the norm a bit. That's all.
Yar, but "norm" and "affordable" are two different things altogether. Saying that something is "not that affordable" is giving it a negative connotation.

I mean, do you actually think that it's not really reasonably priced?

MilesTeg

Banned
I'll be honest. I've never paid $20 for an indie game. My max is $15, preferably $10 or less. However if there is a lot of content it doesn't really matter to me especially if it's built for Wii U. I'm interested in the game, especially with the lack of upcoming releases.

Dee Dee

Look, here is what you do: Since this game has a pretty fun local multiplayer mode, just grab the person you will play it with, and let them pay 10$.

Now the game is only 10$!

Played a bit of it at Gamescom, but it seems they added some cool stuff since. Looking forward to read impressions, and will happily fork out 20$ if it delivers to be the clever unique experience it shaped up to be.

The Boat

It seems perfectly reasonable. Pricing needs to be as flexible as it gets, and that doesn't mean "make every game 15$ tops and with 75% off regularly", it means some games might be worth 10, others 20, others 40 bucks, whatever. Isn't Hotline Miami $20?

jholmes

I didn't realize this was Wii U exclusive. Is it a single player game? Every video I can find of it has two people playing co-op.

It is! In fact I'm sort of surprised they're pushing co-op so hard now. Maybe they figured out something and really fell in love with it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I didn't realize this was Wii U exclusive. Is it a single player game? Every video I can find of it has two people playing co-op.

It can be played alone or as co-op. It's a one-man show vs. a space crew situation. In SP you control both the space shuttle's systems (on the Gamepad's screen) and you drive it with the analog sticks, in co-op you divide responsibilities and each person controls one part of it. They are promoting now the co-op because they found it to be really fun,as solving the puzzles requires a great coordination between the players.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think, from now on, rather than price, you should present threads like this in increments of Kirby.

This title, for instance, costs half a Kirby.

JkZrVN1.png

My audible first impression: Amused laugh (heh) straight into a whimper. He looks so sad being cut in half. :(

This game though. Been waiting for it since it was revealed. I'm happy they're charging the price they want to charge, rather than feeling pressured by the market. I mean, the market will tell them if they made a profitable decision, but still, I can respect the intent. From what I've seen, the value proposition seems great, but obviously, impossible to say until it releases. This is one of my most anticipated Wii U games. I love the atmosphere of it!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn the rate at which the loading screens appear in that NintendoLife's co-op gameplay video seem so tragically frequent to the point of severely detracting from the enjoyment I'd get out of the game... bummer.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Game had my attention ever since they first revealed it, it def looks like a game that could be well worth 20 dollars.

I'll be waiting to hear about the length but even if it's short I'll probably buy it. Love to support people making cool games and this looks so fuckin rad. I have high hopes for the sound work too.

joesgro

Neo Member
Tried this twice at PAX East and the production value is extremely high - not just "for an indie game". I was very impressed. Day one.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
game looks really interesting. I'd be happy with a launch deal price, but if the game will respect the premises and be decently long, it will be worth it.

K-A-Deman

$20 seems like a damn fine price for a game that's tailor-made to the console. Too much mobile bloat and Steam sales making people antsy and tacaño I guess...

Top Bottom