• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

VLX's are still available. Hori must have increased production count seeing how popular the preorders have been.
That or its taking the longest to get the last 30 units AS said were available presold... Which I find hard to believe.
Of course Hori is still selling too and nobody has any idea how many they have.
People are lucky to have the time to save up or some people with preorders might be disappointed if preorders are being oversold.Hope this isn't another Zelda 3ds debacle.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Brawlstick uses the same great clone parts as the TvC stick. They don't need to be upgraded, especially for a new player.

There was a great in-depth review with teardown and comparison of the TvC parts to Sanwa, but I can no longer find the link.

Ah. Last time I looked into them, they had messed up sticks that would eventually grind to a halt or something.

Anyway, finally got my TE2. Did a quick impressions video because, why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83lH8zatXec

Skilletor

Lots of my friends, who love fighters, don't see a point in buying the VLX when they can get two Kais for the same price. It's probably what Markman means when he talks about not seeing the market at this price point.

Hopefully they last just one more week. :)

Gamerfingers arrived a day early for me! I like the feel for them but would have to put them on the stick first to really see how they feel like. Pretty sure I'll like them over the Kuros though.

RAMsnooter

Neo Member
I was surprised to see that Fry's had RAP4 Kai sticks in stock so I grabbed one. I've been testing it on PS4 and PC and here are my first impressions:

The stick looks awesome in person with a nice clean look to it. I've never tried Kuro buttons before as this is my first Hori stick, so my first impression is that they aren't as bad as some others have described. The buttons do have sharper edges to them and they do squeak a bit (I noticed it usually happens when you press the edges of the button as opposed to right in the middle of it) but they function just fine and I don't notice it very much during gameplay.

The Hayabusa has a slightly looser feel than my Sanwa sticks but I'm liking it a lot. My only gripe with it would be that its noticeably louder when you hit the square gate. It makes a louder knocking sound than the muffled thump sound coming from a Sanwa. I probably won't swap it out unless I run into any issues.

What I really like bout the Kai are the extra buttons and options that you get with this stick. I have a TE2 on preorder from MadCatz that I know just has the 8 main buttons plus the start/select or share/options buttons. The Kai has all those buttons PLUS the L3, R3, and clickable touchpad button which are very useful when assigning buttons for PC apps (MAME!) or in PS games such DoA: Final Round, where you can use R3 in training mode to demo a combo. It also has variable Turbo modes and programmable button assignments that the TE2 lacks. I can't wait to start messing with the TE2 next month but I love all the features you get with the Kai ($50 less is a bonus!).

Overall, I think the Kai is a great stick at a good price. Thanks to you dudes for all the Kai discussion in here. Helped me make the decision to get my first Hori a lot easier. ;)

Yes Boss!

VLX's are still available. Hori must have increased production count seeing how popular the preorders have been.
That or its taking the longest to get the last 30 units AS said were available presold... Which I find hard to believe.
Of course Hori is still selling too and nobody has any idea how many they have.
People are lucky to have the time to save up or some people with preorders might be disappointed if preorders are being oversold.Hope this isn't another Zelda 3ds debacle.

The original VLX was available for sale for a long, long time.

Just over that if we don't count shipping cost. $50+ more with shipping costs included.

Debating biting the bullet on it in about a week, amazon.ca didn't even bother to give me an answer.

Back in January, I priced out the HRAP 4 and TE2 and the TE2 ended up being significantly cheaper. That was based on ordering at Play Asia at the time, though. Hopefully I'll have the TE2 in my hands tomorrow if the Purolator driver bothers to bring it on his delivery. Usually they just knock on the door and hand me a slip to go get it myself the next day.

ban25

octo design is whack imo. Interested in how they play, though.

I had some reservation initially about the rims, but I found they looked a lot better (to me, at least) when mounted in an actual stick. If you've never used a mechanical keyboard, the best way I can describe the feel is to say that the default red switches are silent but are still satisfying when they bottoms out and their return is lighting quick.

They're lightyears ahead of the Sanwa buttons in my opinion. I even ordered a set of OBSF-30s for my VLXes, but decided not to use them after trying the GamerFinger buttons. Not sure what I'll do with those Sanwa buttons now, maybe put them in my Fighting Edge, lol.

ban25

Do they even sell the gold ones that are in the picture on the main page? I'd love to get the balltop buttons with that gold color for my VLX.

Maybe those were part of the original Kickstarter? I have the black G2s, which are actually smoke/translucent. If the light hits them right, you can see the cross-type red microswitches inside, it's pretty sweet...

what kind of wood are you using? If it's something softer like poplar, MDF, or particle board, you could cut the holes slightly small so that the snap in buttons were a snug fit
its a layer of 1/4" plexi on top of a layer of 1/4" plywood on top of a 1/2" plywood

The buttons are screwed into the first two layers, stick is screwed into the last layer

Grifter

It takes a bit, but the packaging is cool when you order direct from them...

The Red switches feel great but they do not have a click to them. If you want an audible click, I recommend looking into the Cherry MX Blue switches -- you can order them from anywhere (Focus Attack, Elite Keyboards, etc.).

I'll see how the reds feel first. Wish I could go somewhere to claw freely at all the different switches to get a feel.

How long was a bit for you? A couple weeks?

Awesome to hear. Haven't received a shipping notice for ours yet. :\

Hope you get yours soon. I really like them. I also hear the packaging is nice... Mine came with bad padding. Thankfully the buttons are solid.

The only issue is that there is a little gap on each button slot and the buttons won't quite cover it fully due to its shape. I tried to rotate them to make it a little bit better but I guess the buttons are bigger than usual because they were hard to get them on and couldn't really take them off either.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i think I'd like to wire my control panel so that if I want to play VF3 id plug in that harness and if I want to play 360/PS3 I'd plug in another.

any ideas on how to go about this? it's a 2 player panel so I'd at least need 2 PS360s I think. anyone do something like this before?

alienator

Picked up 2 new goodies today..

15525_10153784484831164_7270065636539675999_n.jpg

for just 30 euro.. happy.

Maybe those were part of the original Kickstarter? I have the black G2s, which are actually smoke/translucent. If the light hits them right, you can see the cross-type red microswitches inside, it's pretty sweet...

Yeah I have been looking at those and saw that they are translucent I actually like them better than I thought I would. Just need to put an order in sometime soon so I can have them before my VLX gets here.... which is May :(((

Back in January, I priced out the HRAP 4 and TE2 and the TE2 ended up being significantly cheaper. That was based on ordering at Play Asia at the time, though. Hopefully I'll have the TE2 in my hands tomorrow if the Purolator driver bothers to bring it on his delivery. Usually they just knock on the door and hand me a slip to go get it myself the next day.

Thanks, I'll double check my options in about a week. I know play-asia is daylight robbery for shipping though, so we'll see what amazon comes out to in comparison.

Yaari

That discount on FocusAttack is nice. I wanted those Gamerfingers too. Still think getting them from Japan might be the cheaper way of getting them into Europe though.

ban25

I know, right? I feel like it's every time I passed by my stick I had stopped to drum the buttons for a bit, haha. And I say drumming (as opposed to tapping) 'coz it's how the Reds feel, like little, tiny djembe drums.

Yep! :) I drum mine inbetween matches.

I think you're grossly overestimating how many people have the disposable income to blow $300 on a game controller.

Quote from Arcade Shock's Facebook:
Congratulations to those who reserved the Hori VLX Kuro. Our pre-orders are sold out. We actually oversold some of our inventory for upcoming shows so we have to cut off orders to have some stock remaining for those who plan to attend the following shows:

Grossly?...maybe not.

Those that still want one however can get them from Hori. I would hurry.

http://stores.horiusa.com/preorder-real-arcade-pro-4-premium-vlx-for-playstation-4/

Grifter

I'm about to move some stick parts into my Kai for the first time, do I just go thru the screws on the bottom?

Haven't done this since my TE1, what's a good way to pry off tight quick disconnects?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm about to move some stick parts into my Kai for the first time, do I just go thru the screws on the bottom?

Haven't done this since my TE1, what's a good way to pry off tight quick disconnects?

wedge a flathead screwdriver between the base of the prong and the connector, then wiggle

Top Bottom