• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

Pooya

So I'm in a kind of dilemma...

I bought the zotac en760 plus from amazon for $448, it appears it was a price mistake or whatever and it's $620 in fact right this moment.

it came with a 1tb samsung/seagate hdd and 8gb ddr3 1600 crucial RAM. I added another 8gb RAM for 57 bucks and added a mSATA SSD I had for OS. It's all working great and fine, I knew what I was getting into.

What I didn't realize was that I could buy the base model alpha for just $490 or thereabout without a lucky price mistake and get windows, a much better looking case, upgradable CPU and a wireless 360 controller, somehow I though it cost a lot more without looking well enough... Now I don't particularly care about windows or the controller's value but the CPU is the main issue. Now there might not be a huge difference between the 4200u and i3 here but I can swap it for a i5 later if I want to, not right now and lesser RAM isn't a big deal, I have 8gb now can get another one and replace the 4gb it comes with, storage is not an issue whatsoever, I have 2.5" ssds around too. so would you return the zotac one if you were in my shoes? I think I still can but is it worth the trouble? Did I get a good deal already and should just stick with it ? I feel a bit greedy here lol it's just like $100 price difference for a better cpu with possible future upgrades, better case and a 360 controller and of course windows ;_;

zotac one has its advantages too, like better port selection with dvi and hdmi and 4 usb 3.0 ports and dual lan and mSATA 2.5" combo What can you do with the hdmi in in alpha? is it just pass through?

I've only even seen the Alienware Alpha UI once and that was the first time I turned it on. I've a mouse and keyboard plugged into it to play WOW and LOL and Windows loads up in SECONDS after you power on the machine. I doubt it works that great as a console but as a PC it's everything I wanted and more besides.

Methos#1975

Same here, the UI is IMO junk and I removed it the first day. Also the article states a blatant lie, you can use the controller as a mouse on the DT no issue.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
After gdc i have to respect alienware for dominating in price/size/performance in a box thats already out. The other steam machines should have not even showed.

I think the Syber Vapor is a good deal for the money as well, and unlike the Alpha, it can be fully upgraded.

That's my main stumbling block with the Alpha. You can't upgrade the GPU, so at some point you're going to be buying another box.

I think the Syber Vapor is a good deal for the money as well, and unlike the Alpha, it can be fully upgraded.

That's my main stumbling block with the Alpha. You can't upgrade the GPU, so at some point you're going to be buying another box.

Oof. Just looked at some of the reviews for the Syber on Amazon. Not pretty.

tim.mbp

I ended up buying a monitor and ditching the Alpha as a console. Cities: Skylines kind of pushed me over the edge. Only downside is the lack of 3.5mm audio out for computer speakers. I'm using a bluetooth speaker right now trying to decide if I should get a USB adapter or a DAC. I think the bluetooth speaker sounds pretty good though and I'm not getting an interference.

Gren

Was considering the Alpha for something I could just throw in my TV stand but ended up ordering a the base Intel Syber Vapor from Best Buy. With the mover's coupon, came out to around $600 even. It'll be priced as much when it's re-branded as a full-on Steam Machine, but that's all the way in November.

Only thing a lot of the scant reviews have me worried about is ventilation.

Was considering the Alpha for something I could just throw in my TV stand but ended up ordering a the base Intel Syber Vapor from Best Buy. With the mover's coupon, came out to around $600 even. It'll be priced as much when it's re-branded as a full-on Steam Machine, but that's all the way in November.

Only thing a lot of the scant reviews have me worried about is ventilation.

Cool! I'd like to hear your impressions on that guy when you've played around with it for a bit.

Gren

Cool! I'd like to hear your impressions on that guy when you've played around with it for a bit.

Vapor came in. Does indeed run a bit hot. During the initial setup, CPU temps were peaking at around 78 C just doing Windows Updates.

Cranked the CPU & chassis fans to run full speed, & took off the bottom cover for better ventilation. Now it peaks at 75 only while running sub-optimized games (RE Revelations 2 :p). Still kinda high, but better. Noise went from near-silent to just an audible hum.

Kinda bums me out that I have to compromise so soon, but it's not too bad. If left on the bottom shelf looking down, one wouldn't even really notice anything's missing.

Other than that, I'm happy with it. I don't have much in the way of AAA games to test, but it ran Tomb Raider 2013 at high without a hitch. It's also nice that for a pre-built, it came with no bloatware; only Steam was pre-installed. I just wanted something like the Alpha, a secondary PC to sit under the TV for quick gaming sessions & the occassional local multiplayer. Plus, I'll be able to upgrade everything (or even move all the components to a more breathable case) in the future.

Had I seen that $400 Alpha first, I might've gone with that instead. At that pricepoint I wouldn't have viewed it as an upgradable PC but instead as a locked (GPU) console.

Gren

The Dell $399 deal for the base version is live again.

And just like I said earlier, I went for it (used my college email addy to get an additional 4% off).

Ended up returning the Vapor in-store for a full refund. Just ran too hot for my liking, and I wasn't looking forward to researching cooling options that would fit come time to upgrade. Shame, I did like it for the brief time I had it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

And just like I said earlier, I went for it (used my college email addy to get an additional 4% off).

Ended up returning the Vapor in-store for a full refund. Just ran too hot for my liking, and I wasn't looking forward to researching cooling options that would fit come time to upgrade. Shame, I did like it for the brief time I had it.

Bummer to hear the Vapor didn't work out. I liked the price point and the fact that it was fully upgradeable.

It bugs me that the Alpha isn't something you can stick with for the long run. At some point you're going to need to buy another system. But that $399 entry point is fantastic, and very tempting. I'll probably wind up buying one before the year is up. Hopefully by then the i5 model will be under $600.

Ah... Well, welcome to Team Alpha (are we a team? Can we be a team?)

Does anyone here who owns one know if there's a place for a potential 2nd hard drive in this?

No room, I have an external hard drive plugged into one of the USB 3.0 slots.

Gren

It bugs me that the Alpha isn't something you can stick with for the long run. At some point you're going to need to buy another system. But that $399 entry point is fantastic, and very tempting. I'll probably wind up buying one before the year is up. Hopefully by then the i5 model will be under $600.
I agree. Was really looking forward to just swapping in all the hand-me-down parts from my desktop. But I think the Alpha will do just fine for what I need. Only thing I'm worried about is whether it'll run SF V.

Damn, I forgot about Dell's student discount maybe I'll live-chat and see if they'll give me something back since it looks like they have free returns and I imagine they'd see it as a hassle for both of us if I had to return it for $16.

Can't wait to get my system!

Well Dell said they can't offer anything post-purchase and they can't add coupons after an order is created. Kind of a bummer, but I probably won't bother sending the whole thing back for $16.

Anyone know if this type of RAM would work in the system? One of the reviews said it does, but I wanted to get some solid confirmation before I order it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQCOTCM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Could you build a more powerful pc with the same budget? I may get into pc gaming but exploring my options right now.

ViciousDS

Banned
that price is actually really nice considering how much is thrown in. Processor should handle most multiplat games no problem. Give some more VRAM to that video card at least 4GB and this machine is actually a really nice steal and something I could easily recommend to friends who are not huge into the PC market.

Obviously its laptop style, meaning GPU is built into the mobo and cannot be upgraded. But still....$549 for 1080p gaming on medium settings for the next 3-4 years isn't really that bad at all.

Could you build a more powerful pc with the same budget? I may get into pc gaming but exploring my options right now.
You definitely cannot. I've tried to come up with several builds as have others, but there's no way you'll get a better or even comparable PC for $400 especially when you factor in a copy of Windows.

that price is actually really nice considering how much is thrown in. Processor should handle most multiplat games no problem. Give some more VRAM to that video card at least 4GB and this machine is actually a really nice steal and something I could easily recommend to friends who are not huge into the PC market.

Obviously its laptop style, meaning GPU is built into the mobo and cannot be upgraded. But still....$549 for 1080p gaming on medium settings for the next 3-4 years isn't really that bad at all.
Actually it's been on sale for $400 or less.

I wonder what kind of difference the i3 version and 4GB would make.

Just upgrade the memory to 8gb and it won't be that much different.

Edit: There's actually an impression on the performance thread.

Runs pretty well on the Alienware Alpha i3, busting the VRAM limit with everything in very high and MSAA off and still maintaining around 35fps downsampling from 1440p. At 1080p I hover around 50 with drops to 45.

Methos#1975

Yeah it runs it very well so far, but bear in mind people are seeing huge drops once out of the city due to vegetation so its subject to change. Haven't made it that far yet myself.

Pooya

i3 still holding up is good news, not feeling dropping more money on CPU for it any time soon, lol. Witcher 3 is the real test though.

Back to $500? I think I will bite when hits $400 again (and upgrade to 8gb).

Edit: ah, still live. I want to upgrade to 8gb -- can / should do through Dell or go elsewhere?
Edit again: Also, how is the wireless controller? I had a 360 wireless controller a few years back and the wireless receiver was total crap and died on me -- is this one better?

Methos#1975

i3 still holding up is good news, not feeling dropping more money on CPU for it any time soon, lol. Witcher 3 is the real test though.

Well it seems the GPU and its 2GB VRAM is the bottleneck here. Game worked fine earlier for me, now it crashes on the same settings because I am over the 2GB VRAM limit. So you have to pay attention to that, dropping all the settings to high except for textures and one of them to medium seems to do the trick.

Edit: ah, still live. I want to upgrade to 8gb -- can / should do through Dell or go elsewhere?
Edit again: Also, how is the wireless controller? I had a 360 wireless controller a few years back and the wireless receiver was total crap and died on me -- is this one better?
Don't go through Dell for the RAM upgrade I think only the base Alpha is in sake so you'll pay a lot more for any upgrades. You can buy an 8GB stick for $60 from Amazon.

Definitely buy ram elsewhere if that's the only thing you're upgrading.

Wireless controller is the OEM Microsoft 360 controller with the OEM Microsoft wireless receiver works great for me and from anyone else who as used it so... Maybe you just had bad luck before?

Is the 5400 HDD as limiting as some of the reviews state? Would hate to also have to upgrade to a SSD.

Regarding the wireless controller, perhaps they've fixed it. A few years ago, however, the receiver kept crapping out on people. I ended up just tossing it and going wired for my controller (which would be an option for the Alpha too, I suppose). I was sorta hoping that the Alpha would have a built-in receiver rather than rely on the Microsoft OEM one (which also takes a valuable USB port).

Is the 5400 HDD as limiting as some of the reviews state? Would hate to also have to upgrade to a SSD.

Regarding the wireless controller, perhaps they've fixed it. A few years ago, however, the receiver kept crapping out on people. I ended up just tossing it and going wired for my controller (which would be an option for the Alpha too, I suppose). I was sorta hoping that the Alpha would have a built-in receiver rather than rely on the Microsoft OEM one (which also takes a valuable USB port).

I have yet to have any issues with either the controller or the HDD. :)

Glad to hear the controller receivers aren't an issue any more. That was a real bummer. Also that the HDD is fine -- I'm mainly playing older stuff anyway.

Regarding this vs. Steam -- I really like that I can play GOG games, crap I make in Unity, etc. Though it sounds like I'll toss the AW UI pretty quickly. =)

The portability is very attractive -- I prefer to play on the big TV downstairs but it'll be nice to be able to take this + brick + controller upstairs and quickly use it on the smaller TV.

Top Bottom