• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED GODDESS - 2.5D Metroidvania Kickstarter - PC, MAC, LINUX, PS4, PSVita, WiiU

yanim

Neo Member
We're working with a 2D map, essentially is a miniature of the full game. We're improving: resolution, colors, we have point the gameplay and now is easier to see where the player is able to going on (collision detection). And we're working in war fog, because we don't want to spoil the places that the player has not been yet...

The images bellow are some examples areas.

Anyways, questions/comments appreciated

mapa-3.jpg

mapa-2.jpg

Mapa-1.jpg

maxcriden

Hello Maxcriden! We can't post because we don't want to spoil the game ;)

Oh, what I meant was--not asking for spoilers--but it looks like those four images connect? Is there a way to post the connected image of the four? Or is that what you meant by a spoiler? Thanks!

yanim

Neo Member
Oh, what I meant was--not asking for spoilers--but it looks like those four images connect? Is there a way to post the connected image of the four? Or is that what you meant by a spoiler? Thanks!
Hello,

This is image but is not connected because in the middle there is an other one, so it's not possible to connect now, we can connect if we add some image that is hidden... ;)

yanim

Neo Member
memories-of-divine2.png

In the picture above, we can see one of scene of the flashback memories from Red goddess. We're working on polishing the assets because it was too much cold and dark. We have tried to do it warmer.

So we wanted to create an environment with the feeling like "home sweet home" we have used art assets like: windows, the tree, stone wall... we needed to introduce new assets and lights, everything has an impact on the player's view and it's make create the feeling, it's very important because this environment is used for story purposes...

Now is ready, what is your feeling about? If there is something you feel is out of place please let us know, your opinion is very important for us.. Thank you!

yanim

Neo Member
Currently working in the shop, the player can buy upgrades for life and mana/powers. To increase the total of mana of Divine, and melee power attack of Rage and Fear. Player will have to purchase, and collect the coins to upgrade characters.

Take a look this WIP. In-game shop implementation. Using a widget triggered by an NPC who communicates with player state to check if she's allowed to purchase items, in addition to provide them to her. Widget is still a placeholder.

ShopDevelopment1_code-1024x557.jpg

ShopDevelopment2_blueprint-1024x557.jpg

ShopDevelopment3_shop_placeholder-1024x557.jpg

ShopDevelopment4_ingame_placeholder-1024x557.jpg

Now polishing art... ;)

yanim

Neo Member
#screenshotsaturday telekinesis power in Red Goddess: Possess and move elements of the planet to uncover the mysteries from the past of the main character. You also can possess the minds of enemies to use them in combat. #unrealdev #gamedev #indiegame

Thank You

telekinesis1.jpg

telekinesis2.jpg

telekinesis3.jpg

telekinesis4.jpg

telekinesis5.jpg

Glix

How have i never seen this? Looks solid!

I love how active the devs are in the thread too. Gonna keep my eyes on this

yanim

Neo Member
Hello everyone!

Okay, the map is working in Red Goddess, take a look this screenshot pls, the map displays a miniature version of the Red Goddess world, a portion of it really, so the player can orient himself with respect to the rest of the world. In Red Goddess the map doesn't show the whole game world, only a limited area around the avatar. Areas not explored by the player are hidden by the fog in the map. Any suggest-comments are most than welcome!

MewMinimap-1024x557.png

ShogunX

#screenshotsaturday telekinesis power in Red Goddess: Possess and move elements of the planet to uncover the mysteries from the past of the main character. You also can possess the minds of enemies to use them in combat. #unrealdev #gamedev #indiegame

Thank You

Is that chromatic aberration on those screens?

I thought the lead heroine was redesigned to have the green bodysuit. But these screenshots show the mostly naked bathing suit design.

I'm much more liking of the green body suit, which I also think is a better and healthier design over all.

Which one is final?

CamHostage

Thanks so much for your comments!

Yes we'll port to Unity to release on Wii U and Vita, Unreal Engine 4 doesn't port directly to this platforms. ;)

See, this made me upset at the time about how this game was announced -- it's not a PC/MAC/LINUX/PS4/PSV/WiiU game, it is a PC/M/L & PS4 game with hopes to port onto other platforms down the line... Obviously, every game has some hope in the mix (nobody is ever guaranteed to actually see a product shipped,) but I don't really like product announcements that don't have a clear path to some of the platforms that are attracting particular interest. And I don't like croudfunding where the certain crowds might get sucked in on deferred promises. (There's unfortunately not been a great way for Kickstarter to take interest in say the Wii U version and allow that specific audience to sway a developer to take their case; all money just goes into the same pot and you can only gather from the community where demand is highest.) So I'm a little hesitant to support this as a Wii U and Vita game right this moment.

That said, the gameplay looks real nice, and the placement in the Unreal Engine sizzle reel was a vote of confidence. The project made the wrong first impression on me, but I'm onboard now. I wish the team the best of luck, and once you do get to my platforms of choice (Wii U and Vita) you have my dollars.

yanim

Neo Member
I thought the lead heroine was redesigned to have the green bodysuit. But these screenshots show the mostly naked bathing suit design.

I'm much more liking of the green body suit, which I also think is a better and healthier design over all.

Which one is final?

We're working on, to test wich is better ingame, thanks for your feedback!

yanim

Neo Member
Oh cool. A Metroid-style game (can we drop the fucking Vania shit now?).

Is that chromatic aberration on those screens?

How in the hell did I miss this thread? Looks very promising and its great that you keep updating us with new info.

See, this made me upset at the time about how this game was announced -- it's not a PC/MAC/LINUX/PS4/PSV/WiiU game, it is a PC/M/L & PS4 game with hopes to port onto other platforms down the line... Obviously, every game has some hope in the mix (nobody is ever guaranteed to actually see a product shipped,) but I don't really like product announcements that don't have a clear path to some of the platforms that are attracting particular interest. And I don't like croudfunding where the certain crowds might get sucked in on deferred promises. (There's unfortunately not been a great way for Kickstarter to take interest in say the Wii U version and allow that specific audience to sway a developer to take their case; all money just goes into the same pot and you can only gather from the community where demand is highest.) So I'm a little hesitant to support this as a Wii U and Vita game right this moment.

That said, the gameplay looks real nice, and the placement in the Unreal Engine sizzle reel was a vote of confidence. The project made the wrong first impression on me, but I'm onboard now. I wish the team the best of luck, and once you do get to my platforms of choice (Wii U and Vita) you have my dollars.

So glad with your comments! thanks for your support and your time to post your feedback, it's very important for us WE NEED YOUR FEEDBACK ;) TY

yanim

Neo Member
Hello!

Currently we're working in camera features. To define the camera behavior, we made a number of design decisions about how we want the player to view the game world and what is the best way for the gameplay.
We did define the behavior of the camera for each location in the game world and for each possible situation in which the avatar find, the camera moves intelligently to follow the action, the biggest disadvantage of this option, is that we've to implement each camera manually. it requires much more work to implement.

The player sees the game world from the side as the camera tracks the avatar.We have follow a combination of types of cameras. The camera normally follows the avatar at a fixed distance as she runs around in the world but sometimes the camera should do a zoom, so the player can see some way beyond the avatar into the distance

Please check it out in the bellow gif;

3o85xvdrgsmdxRiYpy.gif

Please send us your feedback, thank you!

yanim

Neo Member
Hello there!

We're tuning and polishing Red Goddess. This means that we're paying attention to detail, getting everything perfect.
We've released a new video to show you this new features, please take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8orCP4OBc

+We've finished the map, now there is a fog and hidden unexplored sectors.
+Player have to collect Memory Crystals to open the Doors.

We look hearing your comments about, thanks!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like the camera zooming out for the platforming, always good to be able to see where you're going when you jump between platforms.

Porting the engine to Unity later on just to be able to release on Vita and Wii U is cool too, you guys seem super dedicated to this project.

Edit: I watched the video too, are you using Chromatic Abberation? If I remember right it's on by default in UE4 so maybe you haven't even thought about it, but it would be cool if there was a way to turn it off in the final release, I know some players (including me) have have a hard time focusing on the screen thanks to the effect.

Dr. Buni

Lol metroidvania.

Still, the game looks really nice, the art style/visuals is pleasing to the eyes. Although I am not a big fan of the main characters design, but that is minor.

Also the music in the video above is really nice.

Which one is final?

We're working on, to test wich is better ingame, thanks for your feedback!

Just quoting the above for context.

If I may, I would like to give some extended feedback on the current character design of your heroine. Ultimately you are the artists and your creative liberty is going to decide how you portray your character, but you have asked for feedback on lots of things and I hope you don't mind me offering this forward.

Your earlier concept art showed a really distinct, visually interesting, and creative main character that revolved around a green bodysuit as such:
08e2018c3fc01928ba3547848e81be2d_large.jpg

Divine-03d.jpg

I thought this design was great. Not a lot of games have short-haired girls as leads, and she had a legitimate costume. If you look at other famous female characters like Samus, or upcoming indie women like Alyssa from Cosmic Star Heroine or Alicia from Heart Forth, Alicia, or Red Robin from Dragon Fin Soup, they are really made distinct and interesting by their characterizing outfits. A dangerous pitfall that has plagued game design for decades is characterizing women with nudity instead of defining and interesting costumes. When female characters are dressed in skimpy outfits that rely on nudity for distinction, they lose anything that makes them recognizable as heroes. As an independent developer, you have the opportunity to create your leading lady however you want without restriction.

Wouldn't you rather have a heroine who is visually distinct with an awesome costume than another overly sexualized girl whose only visual personality is her bare skin? Would she still be mostly naked if she was a boy character? Wouldn't you rather a costume that really makes her stand out as YOUR hero, and not just another mostly-naked girl who is mostly-naked for no reason?

Maybe you have a reason for dressing her so scantily in these photos. Maybe you have a reason for abandoning the awesome green body suit. Maybe in the narrative it makes sense for her to be barely clothed. But from the surface, and as a backer, I feel your leading lady has lost a lot of her personality and flair with the costume change. I want a lead character who looks original, kick ass, and empowered like the other leading ladies linked above. Don't you?

Dr. Buni

If I may, I would like to give some extended feedback on the current character design of your heroin. Ultimately you are the artists and your creative liberty is going to decide how you portray your character, but you have asked for feedback on lots of things and I hope you don't mind me offering this forward.

Your earlier concept art showed a really distinct, visually interesting, and creative main character that revolved around a green bodysuit as such:
[IM]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/965/579/08e2018c3fc01928ba3547848e81be2d_large.jpg?1399239491[/IMG]
[MG]http://redgoddessgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Divine-03d.jpg[/IMG]

I thought this design was great. Not a lot of games have short-haired girls as leads, and she had a legitimate costume. If you look at other famous female characters like Samus, or upcoming indie women like Alyssa from Cosmic Star Heroine or Alicia from Heart Forth, Alicia, or Red Robin from Dragon Fin Soup, they are really made distinct and interesting by their characterizing outfits. A dangerous pitfall that has plagued game design for decades is characterizing women with nudity instead of defining and interesting costumes. When female characters are dressed in skimpy outfits that rely on nudity for distinction, they lose anything that makes them recognizable as heroes. As an independent developer, you have the opportunity to create your leading lady however you want without restriction.

Wouldn't you rather have a heroine who is visually distinct with an awesome costume than another overly sexualized girl whose only visual personality is her bare skin? Would she still be mostly naked if she was a boy character? Wouldn't you rather a costume that really makes her stand out as YOUR hero, and not just another mostly-naked girl who is mostly-naked for no reason?

Maybe you have a reason for dressing her so scantily in these photos. Maybe you have a reason for abandoning the awesome green body suit. Maybe in the narrative it makes sense for her to be barely clothed. But from the surface, and as a backer, I feel your leading lady has lost a lot of her personality and flair with the costume change. I want a lead character who looks original, kick ass, and empowered like the other leading ladies linked above. Don't you?
I agree 100%

yanim

Neo Member
I like the camera zooming out for the platforming, always good to be able to see where you're going when you jump between platforms.

Porting the engine to Unity later on just to be able to release on Vita and Wii U is cool too, you guys seem super dedicated to this project.

Edit: I watched the video too, are you using Chromatic Abberation? If I remember right it's on by default in UE4 so maybe you haven't even thought about it, but it would be cool if there was a way to turn it off in the final release, I know some players (including me) have have a hard time focusing on the screen thanks to the effect.

Lol metroidvania.

Still, the game looks really nice, the art style/visuals is pleasing to the eyes. Although I am not a big fan of the main characters design, but that is minor.

Also the music in the video above is really nice.

How can you maintain parity that way? Wouldn't it be less work to use the same engine for all.

Thanks so much for your comments!

In the menu the player can turn off "Chromatic Abberation" and others controls, :)

yanim

Neo Member

If I may, I would like to give some extended feedback on the current character design of your heroin. Ultimately you are the artists and your creative liberty is going to decide how you portray your character, but you have asked for feedback on lots of things and I hope you don't mind me offering this forward.

08e2018c3fc01928ba3547848e81be2d_large.jpg

Divine-03d.jpg

I agree 100%

Hello!

Firstly we want to tell you: Thanks for your comment and your support. We're going to try to explain you why we changed the Divine's design. Please take a look the pic bellow:

Divine.jpg

This is the final design of Divine, we have done many test with the colors and the background, and finally this colors are the best combination with the background.

"A dangerous pitfall that has plagued game design for decades is characterizing women with nudity instead of defining and interesting costumes" We just want to follow the game, the player could upgrade powers and it's representing with the costumes as well, so the player upgrade powers and also parts of the costumes, finally the costume will be the last one! And this is the reason Divine is clothed like this because the narrative: "to recover memories and powers", representing also to grow up like a goddess. We try to keep the androgynous style with the hair and the boy shorts with emphasis on the shoulder guards. it's not a sexy style.
We follow the feeling "Aztec design" now one of the oldest cultures in the world is Sumerian. But Aztec is close in terms of the timeline of earth this is important because it does represent Divine's youth in relation to her world if she was "born" in a more modern world than yeah she would wear shorts and a hoodie. Her world is reflected similarly to ours so we try with the design fits well with the theme of youth and creation.
We hope you understand the feeling that we want to transmit you. Please let us know if now with this explication you understand why we changed the design.

We're very grateful with you comments and your feedbacks, we test your ideas in the game and finally we take the decision. So , thanks so much and please keep this thread alive with your comments.

yanim

Neo Member
Take a look pls this #screenshots: Discover Fireball power: destroy obstacles or stun enemies!‪

Three steps:

1.charge the mana bar:
Fireballpower_01.jpg

2.slow motion:
Fireballpower_02.jpg

3. and then… shoot the fireball!.
Fireballpower_03.jpg

You’re comments are welcome, Thanks

yanim

Neo Member
Hello! We've released a new video to show you the fire-ball power.

We've implemented this new power in Divine character, from the very beginning of the game, to do it more dynamic it consist in to shoot a small fireball to destroy obstacles and stun the enemies. Once stunned, Divine will be able to possess them to move and explode their bodies like a bomb, doing a magical explosion with area damage. The player spends mana to use this power. It means:

-->spend two blocks of mana

-->Players recharge mana:  in magic fountains or executing combo moves fighting with enemies as fear or rage persona. .

Take a look please and send us your suggestions. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/KB_TdhzKkHMc

lefox360

Banned
hi yanim,

one question: why release the game on a dead console (vita), and not on the huge ps360 userbase or the on gowing userbase of Xbox One?

(can't see the kickstarter @ work)

redcrayon

Hello! We've released a new video to show you the fire-ball power.

We've implemented this new power in Divine character, from the very beginning of the game, to do it more dynamic it consist in to shoot a small fireball to destroy obstacles and stun the enemies. Once stunned, Divine will be able to possess them to move and explode their bodies like a bomb, doing a magical explosion with area damage. The player spends mana to use this power. It means:

-->spend two blocks of mana

-->Players recharge mana:  in magic fountains or executing combo moves fighting with enemies as fear or rage persona. .

Take a look please and send us your suggestions. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/KB_TdhzKkHMc

This looks beautiful! Can't wait to play it. Vita version for me.

yanim

Neo Member
Hello #screenshotsaturday Divine's childhood memories in the cave of #RedGoddess #unrealdev #gamedev #indiegamedev Thank You

Dinine-cave-jellyfish-platform.jpg

yanim

Neo Member
Hello!

Following your feedback we have revised Divine's design. After tested many options, finally we can show you the Divine's new armor design, please take a look:
divinearmored.jpg

divinearmored-ingame1.jpg

We’re very grateful with you comments and your feedbacks, Any suggest/comments are welcome! Thanks for your support,

yanim

Neo Member
Keep calm because you're gonna die! :-s

#screenshotsaturday #unrealdev #gamedev #indiedevgame using @UnrealEngine

youregonnadiedivine.jpg

yanim

Neo Member
Check out our new footage: the Intro to our soon to be released video game: "Red Goddess: Inner World"

GAME TRAILER (May'2015):

Hello!

Following your feedback we have revised Divine's design. After tested many options, finally we can show you the Divine's new armor design, please take a look:
divinearmored.jpg

We’re very grateful with you comments and your feedbacks, Any suggest/comments are welcome! Thanks for your support,

Cool design! Love the hair.

Hello!

divinearmored.jpg

So much better! I like it a lot. Now that is a kickass, memorable heroine with a distinct look of her own!

Release dates announced

PS4:
June

Xbox One/PC/Wii U: October

Vita: Next year

PS Lifestyle

Ouch. Another Vita game with a TBA release date to wait for. :( I will wait, happily and patiently, and hope very much the Vita version doesn't disappear.

Still a great big fan of everything you've shown off. I hope you get some more press!

yanim

Neo Member
Release dates announced

PS4:
June

Xbox One/PC/Wii U: October

Vita: Next year

PS Lifestyle

Looks neat, but the chromatic aberration is murdering my optic nerves.

So much better! I like it a lot. Now that is a kickass, memorable heroine with a distinct look of her own!

Ouch. Another Vita game with a TBA release date to wait for. :( I will wait, happily and patiently, and hope very much the Vita version doesn't disappear.

Still a great big fan of everything you've shown off. I hope you get some more press!

About chromatic aberration we've done one option to turn on and off, ;-)

Thanks for your comments and your support!

Shinjica

I dont understand why are you asking money via Kickstarter when you have an investor.

I rememeber Kickstarter was a tool for bypassing investor/publisher money

Top Bottom