• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation flash sales are digital gaming done right.

bigace33

It's great but I always worry that sales that are TOO frequent and where the prices go TOO low actually devalue the games.

kanye-nod.gif~c200

BooJoh

It's a double-edged sword. My Playstation library is starting to look like my Steam library. Tons of games I've played for about 5-10 minutes each.

Aselith

It's a double-edged sword. My Playstation library is starting to look like my Steam library. Tons of games I've played for about 5-10 minutes each.

I don't consider that sort of thing a problem though. I mean if you found something you really liked during the 5-10 minutes or if you heard something that got you hyped on the game you'd stick with it, right? So it's more about being able to sample a wide variety of games rather than the percentage of games you complete.

I feel the same way, picking up surgeon simulator for .91 was ridiculous

At least at the time, after "playing" it and its awful controls I now feel a little better

Felt the same exact way, still remains at 0%. I'll tackle it another day, another time.

..another life.

Mohonky

Sony gamers starting to understand what Steam users have been getting at for many years......

Seriously this isnt even news as far as digitsl sales go. Why do you think so many PC owners have a backlog of games they couldn't even finish if they made completing games a career?

kudoboi

You don't realise that deep discounts make games disposable? Why pay 70$ cnd for GTA V when I know it will be 15$ or less come the winter sale? If I could resell it, sure, why not, but I can't. So bargain bin prices it is

On the other hand, I buy plenty of 40+$ console games (xbone/PS3/ps4/vita/3Ds/wii and so in) without batting an eye

well. majority of steam users don't agree with this statement. just look at steam top sellers, full price titles are often in steam top sellers.

I personally buy most games i want to play at full price on Steam

Apdiddy

My problem with the flash sales is this: some of the games are terrible so it's natural that they are on sale in that method.

Still, I don't complain about it -- I ended up getting most of the games that were on sale in the last flash sale. Why? Because in all likelihood I don't foresee them going on sale again.

Except they haven't been doing an exceptional job in general this gen. Only their marketing has been exceptional. Their first party lineup is incredibly weak, which is actually really surprising considering how fucking good the first party lineup on the Vita has been(when Sony were actually supporting it). PSN has been a joke which is made even worse by the fact PS Plus is required now. The console was missing basic features for a very long time, and hell it still is in some ways. The controller had major issues at launch. Their sales have been utter shite for Europe. The UI sucks.

The only PlayStation system this gen that deserved to outsell the competition 2 to 1 is Vita. Life isn't fair.
Whatever you say Bob.

None of what you stated shows that they don't "deserve" their success with the PS4.

Lol as if success is deserved rather than earned.

Consumers don't have some hidden agenda, they buy what they think is the best product for their money.

Azriell

Outside of the occasional nintendo game, games hold very little monetary value.

Just remember that it wasn't that long ago that console games made almost all of their sales in the first few weeks and then that was it. And that was dealing with the cost of physical media. I think it's great that devs/pubs now have a chance to put a game on DD sale 6 months after it releases to make some extra cash. Plus you have new people too sell DLC to, which is great because some of that DLC may have come out after some people stopped playing the game.

Kill3r7

My problem with the flash sales is this: some of the games are terrible so it's natural that they are on sale in that method.

Still, I don't complain about it -- I ended up getting most of the games that were on sale in the last flash sale. Why? Because in all likelihood I don't foresee them going on sale again.

As someone who tracks videogames deals like its my job, I promise you that all these games will be on sale again before you have even played/beaten them. It's just a nature of the beast, when you think you have found the best deal ever a better deal comes along.

Wensih

Just remember that it wasn't that long ago that console games made almost all of their sales in the first few weeks and then that was it. And that was dealing with the cost of physical media. I think it's great that devs/pubs now have a chance to put a game on DD sale 6 months after it releases to make some extra cash. Plus you have new people too sell DLC to, which is great because some of that DLC may have come out after some people stopped playing the game.

Sure, but this don't really oppose the fact that most games are devalued after their first week/month on the market.

HardRojo

I was gladly surprised by the last sale. I almost bought MegaMan X4 and X5 for their original price earlier that week. The sale came at the right time for me.

Replicant

I just got to the store and got so confused because there are many games that I'd like to get but I know I shouldn't because I already have a lot of backlogs.

Having said that, what does everyone think about "Slender: The Arrival" (PS4)? It's so tempting.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah, it's great.

Have a US account alongside my UK one to take full advantage.

Still does't rival PC sales.

Top Bottom