• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me save my Plasma TV from Destiny HUD

Eiji

If you can't afford an OLED TV try to hunt down a final generation Kuro instead. Better picture than ST60 and virtually no issues with burn-in or image retention. You can even use it as a PC monitor without any issues - it's much much less susceptible.

I can vouch for that. I have 2 Kuro 9G's. They are highly resistant to image retention/burn-in and also give a brighter picture than the 2013 Panasonic's which I find useful for gaming. I have contrast at 40 for games and 30 for watching movies. The only large screen (non-42") Panasonic that gets anywhere close to the Kuro brightness with inky blacks is the GT60 but I got rid of it because I was sensitive to the DFC and image retention was bad. Kuro also has service menu options for the more knowledgeable owners to get the screen even brighter (boosting contrast ratio) if required by upping ABL setting but I haven't had the need to do that and the downside is the TV requires more electricity to run ad outputs more heat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, your original comment that I replied to in the first place was pretty douchey, so I don't think the resulting snark was unjustified. But it's not a big deal one way or the other.
My original comment was a snarky response to an idiotic post but it doesn't matter.

I'll cover color gamut only briefly, since in all cases gamut is limited to what the content is encoded for and both Rec.709 and sRGB don't exactly have amazing gamuts. Panasonic claimed "98% DCI" coverage in the VT60's final generation NeoPDP panel. Sony fitted the X900A with a wide-gamut 10-bit AU Optronics AMVA panel overlaid with the QD Vision "Color IQ" quantum dots. These are the only TVs Sony has done this with, much like the fabled XBR8 with the RGB LED backlights, they are one of a kind. To my untrained eyes, the color gamut of these TVs is pretty much identical. Sony haven't promised any particular coverage of a color space like DCI but they do offer support for their own xvYCC ("x.v.Color") which has a wider gamut than Rec.709.
The LCD monitor I bought this summer (BenQ BL3200PT) also uses an AU Optronics AMVA panel (different panel, of course, since it's 1440p rather than 2160p) and, at least in this monitors case, the results are quite good. It's a massive step up from the awful IPS LCDs that I have in my triple screen setup (which is for work, not play since they don't really match up). From what I've seen of the X900A, though, I can agree that it is a beautiful display and I'd be fairly happy with it as well. Though I'm not sure 4K makes sense for a TV yet as that ultimately means you'll be upscaling everything. By the way, does it offer a nearest neighbor type scaling option? That would really make a difference.

The first was sheer energy consumption. My VT60 pulled ~400W out of the wall when showing a movie in calibrated settings and generated a ton of heat. It easily heated up my medium sized living room in the winter to the point where my furnace would decide it didn't need to heat my house anymore because the thermostat is in the living room. In the summer my house got very uncomfortably hot with the plasma TV running all day, My X900A pulls less than half that out of the wall, and unlike my VT60 doesn't need a fan whirring on the back panel to push waste heat out to heat my house for me.
I absolutely respect these issues and can understand completely.

The second was burn-in. Image retention. Whatever you want to call it. I had it BAD on my VT60. I play a lot of FFXIV and like all MMOs, FFXIV has a bunch of HUD elements all over the screen. 6 months of playing this game regularly left the HUD permanently on the TV, as in 3 months after I replaced the VT60 with the X900A, the HUD elements are still visible when running the break-in slides and showing solid colors. The brief time I spent with Destiny Alpha and Beta also left HUD elements in my VT60 but not as bad as FFXIV did.

There are minor things which I like about my X900A over my VT60, such as no dithering, superior quality passive 3D for Blu-ray 3D which I know most people don't care about, and well it's 4K and playing PC games in 4K on the big screen is an orgasmic experience.
The VT60 is a beautiful display but it definitely has some issues that hold it back compared to a Kuro Elite (which is why I'm using as my primary). When it was released, however, that wasn't really an option as it has long been off the market. I was disappointed that Panasonic never really managed to squash a few of its notable issues. I still feel that the Panasonic displays produce a grainier overall image with noticeable dithering when viewed from close proximity - it's not a real issue from a normal distance but I still found it distracting with games. More importantly, they were never able to overcome image retention issues. It's a non-issue for the Kuro and, considering its origins, I expected the same of the 2013 Panasonic plasmas but that didn't happen - they still suffer from pretty serious IR when not taken care of properly. Pioneer solved this issue and I do think, if others had managed to follow suit, it could have helped plasma survive.

So that's my story. As the saying goes, I've seen some shit. There probably aren't very many owners of a top-end plasma and a top-end 4K Ultra HD LCD TV. But my experiences have been more positive with my LCD than my plasma for gaming. For straight up movie watching, sure the VT60 beats the X900A but not by as wide a margin as most plasma owners would lead you to believe. But I'm also a gamer, and this is GAF. As always, YMMV.
That's a fair approach and I can understand the reasons for switching. When I moved to Europe I brought the Kuro (for my theater/gaming room) and bought an LCD TV for the living room due to IR issues faced by other plasmas, among other things. When I do play games on it, though, its shortcomings become obvious very quickly. Of course, I also have two head mounted displays with OLED screens (Sony HMZ-T1 and Oculus Rift DK2) and those really demonstrate the advantages of OLED versus LCD and I'm eager to get my hands on one of those OLED TVs.

forrest

formerly nacire
55" ST50 owner here as well as avid Destiny player. I notice IR all of the time, but it generally fades fairly quickly. With Destiny's HUD I've noticed a much more prolonged time in order for the IR to fade. I love the set, but having seen the dithering in bright whites, horizontal line bleed, on top of the IR I'll probably never go with a plasma again. It certainly has it moments of beauty though.

I think the ability to customize your UI is the hallmark of a customer centric approach to game design. Giving people the power to alter the way in which they interact with the software based on their personal needs, tastes, etc. should be a top priority in my opinion and I'm always bummed when it's not. (I'm looking at you Diablo 3)

system11

It's sad really how poor display technology still is. I bought one of Sonys flagship LCD TVs because I didn't even want to have to consider plasma burn. To be fair one of my best purchases ever, I've had it since 2008 and it still looks great.

The Beard

It's sad really how poor display technology still is. I bought one of Sonys flagship LCD TVs because I didn't even want to have to consider plasma burn. To be fair one of my best purchases ever, I've had it since 2008 and it still looks great.

I agree. All their focus went into "Lets make this thing as thin as possible!!", as well as bullshit 3D tech which no one cares about anymore, and they put PQ on the back burner.

Now 1080p sets are really going to get the shaft. The focus is now shifted to 4K sets. It'll be impossible to find a quality 1080p set going forward. They'll all be budget model LCD's with mediocre PQ at best.

Raistlin

If you can't afford an OLED TV try to hunt down a final generation Kuro instead. Better picture than ST60 and virtually no issues with burn-in or image retention. You can even use it as a PC monitor without any issues - it's much much less susceptible.
I'm surprised you aren't recommending the Samsung F8500 given the closeout pricing. While the final Kuro Pro models have slightly lower black levels (particularly if you luck out with one of the 'magical' ones with the voltage set different), but the Sammy is still as black as pretty much anything else released that isn't an OLED. Plus it has better contrast, whiter whites, bright room performance, and far more features (interpolation, 3D, DNLA, apps, etc).

Not that I'd turn down a Kuro by any means, but since you can grab a F8500 new at crazy low prices ... seems like a reasonable alternative.

Huh? LG's OLED TV literally destroys any Plasma I've seen, and I'm a big plasma TV fan.
http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-wins-value-electronics-shootout-2014/

The Samsung F8500 tied overall with the current LG OLED (9300) at the annual HDTV shootout (this is a side-by-side comparison on a variety of categories ... all sets are calibrated and rated by professional calibrators ... and there is a second group of 'laymen' that also vote).

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/picture-quality/

Also, c-net's reviewers place the Sammy only behind the LG based on their internal reviewers. The year prior, we saw similarly close ratings when looking at the prior models (with Samsung's OLED and Panasonic's VT/ZT Plasma in the mix). Basically it's been OLED/Plasma > LCD since OLED hit.

Regardless stating it destroys Plasma can only be attributed to you having not viewed a calibrated high-end Plasma. Obviously not all Plasma are of that caliber. Of note here as well, the Sammy can be had for like a 1/3 of the price of the LG (and has 3 sizes).
I read somewhere that motion resolution on OLED is worse than Plasma, but I'm just not seeing it. Plasma has those green trails every time something with high contrast moves on them. I saw no such weirdness on that LG's OLED TV I was starting at for probably an hour.
Ah that confirms it - you haven't seen a high-end Plasma. Modern 600Hz Plasma that use newer phosphor designs do not have green trails (that issue was due to a longer decay time in the green phosphor).

OLED does have objectively lower temporal (motion) resolution due to it using sample-and-hold like LCD's. Thankfully its response times means no added physical blurring like LCD, but its display method does inherently lower temporal resolution versus Plasma unless interpolation is used. Obviously whether that bothers you is a personal question.

Regarding the LG, it actually has some weird motion issues ... but I suspect that is either a firmware issue or potentially part of the panel drive system. I have no reason to assume it's systemic to OLED itself, but it's unknown when or if LG can fix it on the 9300. To be honest, I'm looking forward to LG OEMing panels to companies like Sony, etc. LG, regardless of their fabrication prowess, has never really had all that great of a record for image processing and the like.

Then I guess you must not like anything given the 'LCD fanbase' in this very thread and plenty of others is doing the exact sort of thing :p

Hiko

Banned
I'm surprised you aren't recommending the Samsung F8500 given the closeout pricing. While the final Kuro Pro models have slightly lower black levels (particularly if you luck out with one of the 'magical' ones with the voltage set different), but the Sammy is still as black as pretty much anything else released that isn't an OLED. Plus it has better contrast, whiter whites, bright room performance, and far more features (interpolation, 3D, DNLA, apps, etc).

Not that I'd turn down a Kuro by any means, but since you can grab a F8500 new at crazy low prices ... seems like a reasonable alternative.

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-wins-value-electronics-shootout-2014/

The Samsung F8500 tied overall with the current LG OLED (9300) at the annual HDTV shootout (this is a side-by-side comparison on a variety of categories ... all sets are calibrated and rated by professional calibrators ... and there is a second group of 'laymen' that also vote).

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/picture-quality/

Also, c-net's reviewers place the Sammy only behind the LG based on their internal reviewers. The year prior, we saw similarly close ratings when looking at the prior models (with Samsung's OLED and Panasonic's VT/ZT Plasma in the mix). Basically it's been OLED/Plasma > LCD since OLED hit.

Regardless stating it destroys Plasma can only be attributed to you having not viewed a calibrated high-end Plasma. Obviously not all Plasma are of that caliber. Of note here as well, the Sammy can be had for like a 1/3 of the price of the LG (and has 3 sizes).

Ah that confirms it - you haven't seen a high-end Plasma. Modern 600Hz Plasma that use newer phosphor designs do not have green trails (that issue was due to a longer decay time in the green phosphor).

OLED does have objectively lower temporal (motion) resolution due to it using sample-and-hold like LCD's. Thankfully its response times means no added physical blurring like LCD, but its display method does inherently lower temporal resolution versus Plasma unless interpolation is used. Obviously whether that bothers you is a personal question.

Regarding the LG, it actually has some weird motion issues ... but I suspect that is either a firmware issue or potentially part of the panel drive system. I have no reason to assume it's systemic to OLED itself, but it's unknown when or if LG can fix it on the 9300. To be honest, I'm looking forward to LG OEMing panels to companies like Sony, etc. LG, regardless of their fabrication prowess, has never really had all that great of a record for image processing and the like.

Yeah, the F8500 is an awesome plasma. 0.0017 fL black level...you pretty much have to find the very best of the 9G Kuros to outdo that black level. But the F8500 can get much brighter while also having a MUCH, MUCH better AR filter than any Pioneer plasma. It's very hard to make it look washed out.

And I agree about OLED. Right now it's like an infinite black plasma but with LCD style motion. They need to fix that.

Valnen

Image retention goes away, burn-in doesn't.

Yes, it is still an issue, but burn-in is rare to happen with modern plasmas. I have gotten retention with LCD TVs too anyway.

Image retention still ruins gaming IMO. It's disgusting.

Good thing the tech is essentially dead with Panasonic out of the game.

Raistlin

Yeah, the F8500 is an awesome plasma. 0.0017 fL black level...you pretty much have to find the very best of the 9G Kuros to outdo that black level. But the F8500 can get much brighter while also having a MUCH, MUCH better AR filter than any Pioneer plasma. It's very hard to make it look washed out.
And plus if you use bias lighting (I highly recommend it), it's pretty damn impressive.

And I agree about OLED. Right now it's like an infinite black plasma but with LCD style motion. They need to fix that.
Yeah, and unfortunately it's unknown whether that can be fixed. The way our eyes work, it actually takes a little while for us to perceive something's absolute amplitude (brightness). And that's why OLED uses sample and hold ... it allows them to drive the image at a lower voltage and create the brightness we want. OLED still has aging issue, and it is unclear if and when they can use alternative driving methods that would improve temporal resolution (pulse code modulation, scanning, high frequency frame insertion, etc). All of those methods require the subpixels to display much brighter (but for a shorter duration), and I suspect they are running into aging issues.

Raistlin

Image retention still ruins gaming IMO. It's disgusting.

Good thing the tech is essentially dead with Panasonic out of the game.
Not all Plasma designs have notable IR issues though. And why would you want less choice? That's bad for everyone.

IvorB

The second was burn-in. Image retention. Whatever you want to call it. I had it BAD on my VT60. I play a lot of FFXIV and like all MMOs, FFXIV has a bunch of HUD elements all over the screen. 6 months of playing this game regularly left the HUD permanently on the TV, as in 3 months after I replaced the VT60 with the X900A, the HUD elements are still visible when running the break-in slides and showing solid colors. The brief time I spent with Destiny Alpha and Beta also left HUD elements in my VT60 but not as bad as FFXIV did.

FF XIV is great for plasmas because you can move all the HUD elements freely around. As soon as I see anything leaving some IR I just move it to another part of the screen. Problem solved.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
FF XIV is great for plasmas because you can move all the HUD elements freely around. As soon as I see anything leaving some IR I just move it to another part of the screen. Problem solved.

There were a couple things that couldn't be moved in the beta. Is it absolutely everything now?

I know there was an option to turn it all off completely but it's difficult playing like that in this game.

IvorB

There were a couple things that couldn't be moved in the beta. Is it absolutely everything now?

I know there was an option to turn it all off completely but it's difficult playing like that in this game.

Yeah I'm fairly certain everything can be moved via the HUD controls except the chat box. I know it's possible to move this but it's a bit more fiddly. Though the chat box does also have some transparency controls as well. So yeah, between clearing everything except what I absolutely need and moving stuff around if anything starts showing it's all good. Apart from the chat box I haven't seen anything I couldn't move/hide through the HUD controls.

x3sphere

Objectively: OLED TVs have even better black levels (not that plasma isn't already great in this area), they have better black filters for daytime viewing, they have lower power consumption, but they have terrible motion resolution compared to plasma and much higher input lag.

Subjectively: Their picture isn't as organic as plasma and CRT type technologies - but this is a bit like the vinyl vs CD debate so probably not worth arguing here :)

Not true on input lag. The LG EC9300 gets down to 34ms with input renamed to PC. That's much better than the F8500 and comparable to the lowest-lag Plasmas.

iMax

I've had the same Destiny UI retention for months now, despite not playing the game since October. As of today, it's completely disappeared. Talk about persistence...

edit: correction: it's mostly gone. Still slightly visible on white. But it's getting there!

TyrantII

No issues with my PN64H5000 Samsung, probably close to 50 hours. That said I mostly COOP and Raid, so I'm in orbit and the tower a lot.

I did notice the Destiny HUD is about 5-10% transparent, which seems to help with this particular set. Move the HUD from a bright light over a dark spot and you'll see the pixel color change.

Now, I do have some IR from a 8 hour session of Bloodborne Friday. Solid white HUD in a generally dark game did it. IR wipe and some cartoons have is mostly gone out of a gray test pattern (and only when looking for it). It's not noticeable otherwise.

Crazy to be that we still don't regularity get HUD opacity sliders. LCD is much, much, much less prone to IR and burn in, but it's still possible there as well. Let's go Dev's, this should be a standard option by now!

iMax

I know this is one hell of a bump but following the release of House of Wolves, the old HUD is burnt back into my panel.

Please Bungie, just some hud transparency options or HUD judder to reflect player movement. Anything, please!

My Panny plasma has a slow scrolling vertical white bar that wipes out any kind of burn-in.

Play around with your settings and see if you've got something similar.

iMax

My Panny plasma has a slow scrolling vertical white bar that wipes out any kind of burn-in.

I have that! Yeah, left it on a few hours and it doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference. I doubt it's total burn-in, probably more heavily persistent IR. It's the sort of darkish colour of the retention that concerns me, but that's probably just an IR thing anyway.

cerulily

I remember the first time I saw retention on my plasma. Way back when the DMC4 hud just stayed forever.

My Panasonic plasma has been nothing but rock solid otherwise for the last 6 years.

Caayn

Static game huds can be really annoying, but I haven't had any real problems with them so far. I didn't have problems with the Destiny hud on my Panasonic VT60 but I do have the Xbox Orb burned in right now, it's been there for more two months. Causing me to actively avoid the dashboard of the Xbox One.

Who ever came up with the bright idea to put a pure white logo on screen across a device's dashboard and certain apps should be fired on the spot.

I use a Panasonic S60 and have very few issues with burn-in. I believe keeping the contrast low can help (and I play in the dark, so a low contrast setting doesn't have much consequence), and the scrolling bars are also effective. I have the occasional IR with HUD elements such as Axiom Verge's border around the currently-equipped weapon, but it goes away. Guacamelee was the worst with its static, bright-white 2P PRESS START in the corner.

julrik

Just some clarification for the people here who obviously don't have plasmas but keep offering "solutions..."

1) Pixel orbiter doesn't exist if you have your set calibrated correctly. 1:1 pixel ratio = pixel orbiter doesn't function. It only works if your base image is in one of the various zoom settings.
Are you talking about your plasma, or plasmas in general?

Pixel Orbiter works just fine with 1:1 pixel ratio on my TV (Kuro LX-5090). The standard setting is that the PO is disabled with 1:1 pixel ratio, but there's a setting which allows the PO to always be enabled, regardless of screen size. Not sure about your TV, though. You may not have the option to do so, but if you were talking about plasmas in general, i can tell you that that's not true.

Edit: Wasn't aware of the bump and that the thread was ancient while I wrote this.

I know this is one hell of a bump but following the release of House of Wolves, the old HUD is burnt back into my panel.

Please Bungie, just some hud transparency options or HUD judder to reflect player movement. Anything, please!

You can adjust the 'safe zone' of your TV in Destiny settings, which should move the HUD slightly. Just change this every couple of hours. PS4 has this type of system wide setting also. Not ideal perhaps, but it makes a huge difference for me. (I'm on a Panasonic ST50)

Got that too. My Panasonic has got some sort of pixel shift mode to prevent IR or burn in. My kids got a great LCD/LED screen recently, but the image never comes close to my 4 years old Panny plasma. Too bad that most people thought plasma was done for, expensive and old fashioned. Never seen any screen come close. Think of it as a 50 inch HD PS Vita screen.

iMax

You can adjust the 'safe zone' of your TV in Destiny settings, which should move the HUD slightly. Just change this every couple of hours. PS4 has this type of system wide setting also. Not ideal perhaps, but it makes a huge difference for me. (I'm on a Panasonic ST50)

Yup, unfortunately this makes little difference. In fact, it makes it a little worse. I experimented with this during one of my playthroughs (only three hours at most) and it just made an even larger area of IR.

Destiny does let you move your HUD slightly.

I can't remember the option, but it's besically a sliding scale for HUD items distance from center.

You could pull this max in or max out so that you are creating some variety in the burn in portions.

amar212

After all those updates, that smallest option imaginable is still nonexistant.

Thank you for bumping thins thread.

Something should be done about this after 9 months.

LilJoka

Havent read the whole thread, but possibly backing off the brightness may prolong the panel health.
Does the Panasonic not come with some sort of Orbital technology like the Pioneers? It moves the image around the screen by a few pixels to prevent burn in. I can have multiple hours of static images on my Pioneer without even IR occurring let along burn in.

Yup, unfortunately this makes little difference. In fact, it makes it a little worse. I experimented with this during one of my playthroughs (only three hours at most) and it just made an even larger area of IR.

I got some slight image retention of the Destiny HUD on my Panasonic 50S64 after playing the second or third Iron Banner, but after that I've just moved the HUD around using the safe zone option every once in a while and not had the problem recur (I also have the pixel orbiter turned on in TV settings). That said, I don't play destiny exclusively (only about 250-300 hours total on my account I think) and watch TV once or twice a week.

If you only play Destiny, try running the screen wipe for 90 minutes after every session. My panasonic has an option to auto-sleep the screen after a certain number of minutes (15, 30, 60, 90) and that can work together with the Screen Wipe function.

I can't remember the option, but it's besically a sliding scale for HUD items distance from center.

You could pull this max in or max out so that you are creating some variety in the burn in portions.

I've done that, now I just have the HUD retained in several spots >.>

Destiny and EA sports games are the only games I've had this issue with.

Lumyst

Havent read the whole thread, but possibly backing off the brightness may prolong the panel health.
Does the Panasonic not come with some sort of Orbital technology like the Pioneers? It moves the image around the screen by a few pixels to prevent burn in. I can have multiple hours of static images on my Pioneer without even IR occurring let along burn in.

I use a UT50 and it does have the pixel orbiter function. Even with 1-to1 pixel mapping, it still shifts the image (if I turn off the pixel orbiter, the image shifts back, indicating it was offset despite the 1-1).

dallow_bg

nods at old men

That's what I did too.
And when farming or doing boring stuff I'd even use the zoom options on the TV.

Eventually I stopped playing the game though.

After all those updates, that smallest option imaginable is still nonexistant.

Thank you for bumping thins thread.

Something should be done about this after 9 months.

Seriously.
Just give a damn "turn off" or transparency slider option.

Jonboy

Giving this thread yet another bump. It's just downright shocking to me they can't put in a simple HUD removal option.

I've put in a ton of hours into Destiny. For a while it was the only game I played. Thus, my S60 has some pretty stubborn IR on the bottom left of the screen. Haven't played Destiny nearly as much over the past few weeks and have been trying all the fixes mentioned in this thread. It's getting better, but still noticeable (especially on a white screen).

Been playing a ton of the Witcher lately and the HUD options are just astounding. You can customize every single piece of it and only display what you need...or even nothing at all. I've actually considered trying to do a hudless playthrough. I can actually get by fine without seeing my health, but not having the onscreen map is trouble sometimes. Anyway...

Bungie, pls.

Kill3r7

Giving this thread yet another bump. It's just downright shocking to me they can't put in a simple HUD removal option.

I've put in a ton of hours into Destiny. For a while it was the only game I played. Thus, my S60 has some pretty stubborn IR on the bottom left of the screen. Haven't played Destiny nearly as much over the past few weeks and have been trying all the fixes mentioned in this thread. It's getting better, but still noticeable (especially on a white screen).

Been playing a ton of the Witcher lately and the HUD options are just astounding. You can customize every single piece of it and only display what you need...or even nothing at all. I've actually considered trying to do a hudless playthrough. I can actually get by fine without seeing my health, but not having the onscreen map is trouble sometimes. Anyway...

Bungie, pls.

Destiny wasn't designed with Plasma TVs in mind. I experienced the same issue with my VT50 and the best solution was to run the bars every time after playing and occasionally using the pixel orbiter feature from Disney's WOW disc. Thankfully, I haven't played the game in months so I haven't had to worry about it.

iMax

Yup. Still being affected by this. All they have to do is make the HUD ever so slightly transparent and/or move with motion, and this problem will be gone for good.

I've never played a game that so aggressively burns my plasma like Destiny.

Third Eye Clear

Neo Member
I love my Samsung plasma!!! Those rich blacks.

The retention was one of the reasons I stopped playing Destiny. Plus all the grinding and ridiculous RNG.

I left the screen saver on and I'm sure you can find a burn in dvd to get rid of the retention.

As far as Bungie is concerned, is it that hard to implement some sort of hud opacity feature?

Jonboy

Yup. Still being affected by this. All they have to do is make the HUD ever so slightly transparent and/or move with motion, and this problem will be gone for good.

I've never played a game that so aggressively burns my plasma like Destiny.
Yep. I've used a plasma for years (entire PS3 era and current gen era) and I've never had the issue.

I love my Samsung plasma!!! Those rich blacks.

The retention was one of the reasons I stopped playing Destiny. Plus all the grinding and ridiculous RNG.

I left the screen saver on and I'm sure you can find a burn in dvd to get rid of the retention.

As far as Bungie is concerned, is it that hard to implement some sort of hud opacity feature?

Certainly doesn't seem that hard, but who knows for sure? I just tweeted to DeeJ and Cozmo. Maybe they'll see it.

iMax

Move the hud around by changing the screen bounds.

Boom.

Been discussed in this thread already. Doesn't work.

Destiny image retention is so aggressive, that it only takes a few minutes to hit. For this reason, constantly moving the screen bounds actually just increases the area of IR.

Been discussed in this thread already. Doesn't work.

Destiny image retention is so aggressive, that it only takes a few minutes to hit. For this reason, constantly moving the screen bounds actually just increases the area of IR.
Worked for me on my ST50. /shrug

Jonboy

I've been tweeting Deej, Luke Smith, and Mark Noseworthy frequently about this and haven't heard anything. Sad to say it looks like this just isn't going to happen.

iMax

I've been tweeting Deej, Luke Smith, and Mark Noseworthy frequently about this and haven't heard anything. Sad to say it looks like this just isn't going to happen.

Yeah, I was really hoping for a fix in time for the 15th so I could get The Taken King :(

Jonboy

Yeah, I was really hoping for a fix in time for the 15th so I could get The Taken King :(
I did find a thread on Bungie's forums way back near launch where DeeJ actually commented and said it was being looked at. Kind of weird nothing at all has happened with it. Seems like an easy fix, but what do I know.

It seems you and I are among the few people who care about this enough, lol. The bungie thread cracked me up because so many people in there were hating on plasmas and the "dated technology." Showing their ignorance when it comes to the picture and motion quality of the panasonic plasmas (and others). I love my TV so getting a new one isn't really an option for me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is how it is with plasmas. I forget which one I have - maybe a ST50. The people who said it was no longer an issue were clearly wrong. Even though it shouldn't be permanent, it's an open question as to when it will fade. Maybe I just got a dud panel, but after years of making these, that's no excuse.

I actually don't care anymore. My TV at any given time has various UIs persisting. Including from stuff like sports. I'll never buy a plasma again, although I guess the TV manufacturers made that decision for me. I bought a very expensive Sony for the living room and PQ strikes me as reasonably close to the plasma. It's just that plasmas had great PQ *and* price.

iMax

I did find a thread on Bungie's forums way back near launch where DeeJ actually commented and said it was being looked at. Kind of weird nothing at all has happened with it. Seems like an easy fix, but what do I know.

It seems you and I are among the few people who care about this enough, lol. The bungie thread cracked me up because so many people in there were hating on plasmas and the "dated technology." Showing their ignorance when it comes to the picture and motion quality of the panasonic plasmas (and others). I love my TV so getting a new one isn't really an option for me.

Bungie's communities are horrible, so that doesn't surprise me.

Top Bottom